Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 4: Unstoppable

Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 4: Unstoppable (Astonishing X-Men #4)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  5,098 ratings  ·  165 reviews
Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 4: Unstoppable
Published July 2nd 2008 by Marvel (first published April 17th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 4

X-Men by Chris ClaremontX-Men by Chris ClaremontAstonishing X-Men Omnibus by Joss WhedonX-Men by Chris ClaremontAstonishing X-Men, Vol. 1 by Joss Whedon
X-Men Trade Paperbacks
9th out of 63 books — 47 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Frank Miller
Required Reading Graphic Novels
197th out of 738 books — 1,174 voters

More lists with this book...

Ronyell
Review is also on: Rabbit Ears Book Blog

6 stars!!!

Flashback:

After reading the first three volumes of “Astonishing X-Men” by Joss Whedon and John Cassaday, I was waiting with anticipation in reading the final volume of this fantastic series, “Astonishing X-Men: Unstoppable” and I was perfectly astonished and not disappointed! This volume will definitely not disappoint X-Men fans and will stand the test of time as one of the best endings to a comic book series!

What is the story?

After the event...more
Brad
"Step back and think about this one. It's ridiculous. Giant silver bullets? Another genocidal X-Man story? Death and resurrection and death and ...? Another super-powered alien race? Space S.H.I.E.L.D.? Another big 'sacrifice' that won't be a sacrifice. And the inexplicable failure of all the big brains to save things in the end"
"I know. It sounds crazy, but I can't help myself."
"So nothing I say can change your mind?"
"'Fraid not.'
"Why?"
"That Joss Whedon is pretty good."
"How? He wrote all that s...more
Sesana
The end of a truly great run at a property I walked away from a long time ago. Whedon's strengths are in full force: compelling characters, realistic interactions, and fantastic and even witty dialog. Ok, so maybe the end is a bit of a mess. Nobody's perfect. But for the X-Men, this is remarkably close. Cassaday's art remains top-notch.

One very silly complaint: I did feel sort of ripped off that Nightcrawler appeared on the cover of the last issue in the trade, but only actually showed up in a f...more
Sam Quixote
Joss Whedon and John Cassady end their brilliant run on “Astonishing X-Men” by crossing the X-Men with Star Wars. Immediately hitting the ground running where the third book left off, the X-Men find themselves onboard a SWORD spaceship heading toward the Breakworld. Once there the supposed prophecy of one of the X-Men destroying the Breakworld will either be fulfilled or not. Meanwhile it’s up to the X-Men to stop a Death-Star-ish space station from firing a ten mile missile at Earth. It’s all k...more
Becky

Joss Whedon is a bad, bad man.
Abe
the whedon/cassaday run goes out with a bang, but, like the rest of his run, a bang as dissonant as it is compelling.

the fundamental dilemma of the run is taken to its logical extreme here. as usual, you can't put the book down for the panel-to-panel dialogue, art, action, and character development. of special interest here is the great writing of scott summers, the establishment of hisako as a part of the x-canon, and the fleshing-out of abigail brand.

but as with volumes 2 and 3, the overall pl...more
Mike
The epic space stuff is really awe-inspiring, and the sense of humour on display is simply wonderful. (Emma's mental distraction in ep. 20 had me rolling on the floor.)

Awesome twists and turns the story takes, and I'm particularly enjoying the adult-sized dialogue. Why doesn't everyone write like this? The sarcasm is especially refreshing for comicdom - again, why can't everyone write like this?

I can't freaking believe how well-plotted a story this is - compared to the Firefly graphic novels, th...more
Justin
I forgot how much I love the grandiose insanity of the X-Men series. The movies that mainstream audiences are familiar with never really get into the fact the X-Men spend so much time battling space aliens that they don’t really think much of it. This volume spends all of its time either on an alien planet (the Breakworld) or in space battles above it. It neatly wraps up Whedon’s run on the series, though I am glad I was familiar with the preceding volumes before reading these issues.

Whedon has...more
Jamie
Thomas Rohde
Joss Whedon really knows how to take a potentially silly or played out concept (superheroes in spandex, probably the most ubiquitous series and characters in the Marvel universe, etc) and make them both more mature and more relatable at the same time. These are X-Men who have grown up, who aren't interested in being in a big room with other costumed characters looking for someone to punch. They're trying to solve the problems that they are presented with. Whedon is great with teams--Buffy, Angel...more
Kyle
I've got to say, I'm really disappointed with this story. The last volume of this four volume comic continues the plot of the first, but the middle two are entirely filler. The story itself isn't too great anyway! It's a standard superhero plot (evil aliens are out to destroy the world and only the X-Men can stop them). I can definitely tell that Astonishing X-Men was written by Joss Whedon, though. You can always tell be the clever dialog. The art is fantastic....for the first issue. While I wa...more
Mike
This trade collects Astonishing X-men issues #19-24 and Giant-Size Astonishing X-men #1), and completes Joss Whedon's run on the title.

**Note: Unstoppable is the direct culmination of events spread over the first three trades. It will be impossible to follow if you don't read those first and this review by necessity will contain some spoilers for previous volumes. **

This is the final act of an overarching story Whedon built over 25 issues. The mysteries surrounding the destroyer of the Breakwor...more
Federiken Masters
Mar 05, 2010 Federiken Masters rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans de los mutantes de Marvel y de Whedon en general.
Recommended to Federiken by: Las sagas anteriores.
Cuarta y última parte de la dignísima continuación de los increíbles New X-Men de Morrison. La mayor desventaja con la que corrió Morrison en su etapa -el eterno baile de dibujantes- acá se ve subsanada gracias a la lenta pero constante pluma de John Cassaday, que deslumbra en cada tomo. Un muy buen final para una muy buena etapa de un grupo de "superhéroes" que de vez en cuando tiene historias muy buenas.
Leído de la edición de Panini España (Volumen 2, números 7 a 13), que ya conseguí entera....more
Michael
The final chapter in Joss Whedon's era of Astonishing X-Men comes to a satisfying close. After wandering a bit during the third story arc, the fourth arc sends the X-Men into outerspace with the fate of the world in their hands. Whedon brings together plot threads from his entire run into a satisfying, page-turning conclusion that I'm glad I read as a trade paperback instead of having to wait a month or months in between issues to get the full story and scope. A major character does shuffle off...more
Brad
Two-and-a-half stars. (Once again, my review is intended for other casual comic book fans like me.)

To review, all of the plot points in Volumes 1-3 have gotten increasingly convoluted: An alien named Ord backed the creation of a cure for the mutant gene, all as a means to the end of stopping the member of the X-Men prophesied to destroy his home planet, the Breakworld. As dramatic irony would have it, the dead member of the X-Men that was revived for the purpose of developing a cure for the muta...more
Gavin
Take the intensity of Vol 3 and ratchet it up even more. Push the team to the limit, and watch sacrifices be made. I really loved the end of Joss' run on X-Men here, there's also a lot of the humour still there, even in the midst of all the chaos. The art is still great, and story doesn't disappoint.
Also, I have to tip my hat to Whedon, he made me LOVE Scott Summers in this book. There's even a panel where he looks so badass, I think even Logan might stop and take notice.

Yet again, JW's taken th...more
Hanka
Dammit, Whedon! I should have known, i really should have known. You do this every fuckin time and i fall for it all over again. Damn you to hell.

If storytelling in comics is as important to you as are the pictures, you are in the right place. Fantastic narrative by Joss Whedon and breathtaking art by John Cassaday really make a difference and i have the only choice to put these 24 issues + one Giant size on the top of my shelf, because i have yet to read something that will best it.

Everything
Virginia
WOW! As well as, NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Deeply satisfying, the final volume is heart-pumping action, poignant scenes, and chock full of betrayals, twists and turns. Awesome.
Scott
Dear Mr. Whedon,

Please, please, please write more X-Men comics.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Scott
J.M.
What a great series. I just read all four volumes of Joss Whedon's and John Cassaday's ASTONISHING X-MEN this week and I can't remember the last run of comics I enjoyed this much. Brilliantly done! An excellent jumping-on point, too, if you've never read the X-Men (or comics in general). Even if you don't care for superhero comics, this is good. It's worth your time. It has great characters, awesome artwork, a wonderful ending... a total blast. 'Nuff said.

My rating: five stars (out of five)!

Astonishing X-Men Vol. 1  Gifted by Joss Whedon ...more
Bevans
It was really hard for me not to be reminded of Firefly when reading this series, especially this last part. Maybe it's because Cyclops really looks like Nathan Fillion without his visor on.

Whedon really knows how to write a great ensemble of characters, and this is no exception. He even manages to bring out interesting aspects of these decades-old characters that I've never seen before, such as Wolverine befriending a young student, or the cute relationship between Colossus and Shadowcat.

It was...more
The_Mad_Swede
This volume collects Astonishing X-Men #19–24 and Giant-Size Astonishing X-Men #1 by Joss Whedon and John Cassaday. Due to delays in the production of the comicbooks, the TPB was delayed a couple of times and having lost somewhat of the urgency to read it right away once it was finally collected, it has been sitting on my shelf for a while as well. None of which has really been to the book's advantage.

There is a wee bit too much running directly out of the previous three Whedon volumes (this is...more
Will
What the? That's how it ended? EFFEN AWESOME! This series blew me away and this final volume is super boss. TOP DRAWER! Joss Whedon has taken a select few X-men characters and put them in impossible situations with unsurmountable obstacles. It's like he was saying, "Oh, so you think you've got a good super power, huh? Try beating this!" That, fortunately is balanced with the mutants using their talents in the coolest of ways. The action is dense with tension moving everything along at a quick pa...more
Marc Weidenbaum
Feb 15, 2013 Marc Weidenbaum added it
Shelves: comic
I have now read all four of Joss Whedon's volumes in the Astonishing X-Men series. I can't say I'd recommend them. For one thing, this is some of, I think, John Cassaday's weakest art. He has a serious handle on the Beast, and a pretty solid one on Colossus, but otherwise the images are weak. For Cyclops in particular it looks more like he just melded the two men from Planetary. Kitty Pryde looks different every other panel (let's not even talk about the covers, where she suffers from the "men w...more
Oh man oh man oh man. What a trip. Book 4 finally takes us back to the plot about the Breakworld aliens trying to wipe out mutants, in particular now we know it's Peter they want to kill, because he's supposed to kill them... anyway to be blunt there is no way I can run down the story. Again, it changes pretty much on every page. No way you can hope to keep up!

But... this one did have a sense of finality to it and it had some beautiful storytelling and TRAGEDY. I guess from what I understand Wh...more
Nancy O'Toole
Unstoppable finishes off Joss Whedon and John Cassaday's run on Astonishing X-men by bringing our team to the Breakworld. Here, Colossus must come to terms with the fact that he's destined to destroy an entire planet. The result may feel a mite overstuffed, but given just how much is going on in this comic, I think Joss does a great job holding everything together. Clearly the most epic of the four volumes, Unstoppable still feels very grounded in character.

As mentioned before, this particular r...more
Craig
so, I was an obsessive fan of the x-men for a good many years in my youth. I read every x-title that Marvel published from around 1985 to around 1996 when I just gave up. The reason I quit reading is a long long story for another time, though I am sure that it matches many others....

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I hear that the x-comics are pretty good and have been for awhile and that Whedon (who I will love forever for Firefly no matter what else he may screw up) had done a series for. And...more
Shark
Sep 16, 2008 Shark rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: X-men fans, comics fans, and those who need proof of good storytelling in graphic form
Recommended to Shark by: my local comic shop
I read all four of the volumes of "Astonishing X-Men" written by Joss Whedon, creator/writer/director of "Firefly," "Serenity," and other popular TV shows/movies, but will review the story as a whole on this final installment.

Whedon's philosophy on writing X-Men is genius in its simplicity: avoid huge crossover events and ignore the other goings-on of other Marvel comics in order to produce a solid, clear-cut story that focuses on the main characters and allows us to see their development. I agr...more
Blair Conrad
Similar to Torn in that the book is a little weaker than the first two Astonishing compilations. Still an enjoyable read, and I found myself engaged by the story, even if a few of the probably-intended-to-be-surprises weren’t. My biggest complaint would be that the arc seemed rushed – I think we’d’ve been better served by a 9- or 10-issue treatment rather than 6 + a giant issue.
I liked the Spidey/mutant interactions, even though I didn’t get a whole lot out of the “all the other heroes” storylin...more
Andrew
I still protest the choice of conflict for Joss' overall run of Astonishing, but the conclusion is at least a fairly enjoyable flurry of fun. He gives most characters a chance to shine, and the interactions are done with his typical flare.

It would be interesting to go back and read all the Astonishing volumes at once to get the full scope of it all now, but as I have been at the mercy of friends lending me the volumes to date, I am... well at the mercy of friends.

Cassiday does a great job. His s...more
  • Messiah Complex
  • The New Avengers, Vol. 3: Secrets and Lies
  • X-Men: Phoenix - Endsong
  • X-Men: The Day After
  • X-Factor: Many Lives of Madrox
Joss Whedon (born Joseph Hill Whedon) is an American screenwriter, executive producer, film and television director, comic book writer, occasional composer, and actor, and the founder of Mutant Enemy Productions and co-creator of Bellwether Pictures.

He is best known as the creator and showrunner of the television series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003)', 'Angel (1999–2004)', 'Firefly (2002)'...more
More about Joss Whedon...
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home (Season 8, #1) Serenity: Those Left Behind (Serenity, #1) Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 1: Gifted Fray Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 2: Dangerous

“Everything is so fragile. There's so much conflict, so much pain...you keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize this is it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along--that weird, unbearable delight that's actual happy--I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.” 28 likes
“What's plan b?'