Start by marking “Perfect Partners” as Want to Read:
Perfect Partners

Jayne Ann Krentz

Perfect Partners

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  1,659 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Letitia Thornquist, a midwestern librarian, doesn't have the right stuff to run Thornquist Gear, Inc. That is the bottom-line opinion of Joel Blackstone, the tough ambitious CEO who built the small Seattle sporting-goods store into an industry giant.

Now that she's just inherited the company from her rich Uncle Charlie, she's dying to have Joel, a perfect mentor, show her t
Published (first published January 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Perfect Partners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perfect Partners

Penny Watson
3.5 stars, rounded up

As usual, JAK has created some awesome chemistry between a blue-collar hero and a sexually-inexperienced librarian. Loved them together! However, this story had WAY too much going on. It needed to be edited down by about 50%, and I'm not sure it needed an evil villain, frosty step-mother, unexpected birth in a snow-bound cabin, etc etc. Too much plot/story-line, not enough romance.

However, I was still entertained, and I adore JAK's trademark humor/banter.

Grade: B-
Linda Sims
BRILLIANT

A first read for me by this author, and I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The plot was well structured and thought out, and the characters were a sheer delight.

Joel Blackstone had worked hard at Thornquist Gear taking it from a small shop selling camping and sports equipment to a large successful business. Charlie Thornquist had pretty much left Joel to get on with it, while he pursued his first love fishing. He had promised to sell the business to Joel within the year, but then Charlie u
Aarann
4.5 stars. A good solid read. I loved the banter between Letty and Joel, and while I do prefer it when the heroines put up a bit more of a fight with the heroes, the book managed to stay interesting, even while Letty and Joel were in a romantic relationship.

It suffered a bit from the hackneyed villain, which I didn't feel was necessary. Luckily, not too much time was spent on him. I thought Letty's narcissistic ex-fiance didn't get nearly enough of a comeuppance -- such douchebaggery is deservin
Christine
This is an older Krentz title, heavy on the romance, very light on the suspense/mystery. It was okay. The premise involved a man who had built a company from the ground up and who had been just about to purchase the company outright when the owner died and left the company to his niece. The niece, a Midwestern librarian, decided to try her hand at running a company.

I saw a lot of room for conflict in this dynamic, but it didn't quite spark for me. The chemistry was off -- possibly because the u
Diane ~Firefly~
Nothing beats a comfort read. It is standard JAK plot. Letty inherits the company Joel built and wants him to be her mentor in business. He wants her and wants to keep his revenge on track. She wants to save him from himself. I always enjoy the characters JAK writes and this book is no exception. Even the subplot with Letty's father and new young step-mother is interesting.
Susan
Fun book as both Letty and Joel go through some emotional growth. Letty has been a small town college librarian for the past several years. When her Uncle Charlie leaves her his sporting goods company, she decides it's time for a change. She quits her job, breaks things off with her cheating fiance, and heads for Seattle to run the company. Joel had an agreement with his boss that Charlie would sell him the company, as Joel was the one who took it from a little store to a major company. But Char ...more
Maria
3/28/2009: Another of my top five favorite JAK, this book's characters have become old friends as I have probably read it ten times, although I have only been keeping track of re-reads for the past four years, so I can only be sure of four. I love the plot, the dialogue, the humor, and the intricacies of Letty's character since in some areas she is full of confidence and courage and in others full of uncertainty and trepidation. A former librarian, Letty constantly refers to articles she has rea ...more
Nadine Jones
From Library Journal:

Before Quick began writing about the paranormal world of the Arcane Society and Lantern Street, she wrote charming and fun Regency-era romances that make grand next reads for Quinn fans. The best of these is the story of Emily Faringdon and the Earl of Blade. Emily lives for poetry (which she writes very badly) and on the side makes investments for her feckless father and brothers (which she does very well). Blade, whose family was ruined by Emily’s father, seduces her into
Pat Cromwell
Only because this book was written by Jayne Ann Krentz did I NOT rate this a one star. Some writers I would never give a bad mark for. But I absolutely could not stand the heroine I hated her and it ticked me off that the hero liked her. This milly mouse librarian worked my last nerve and after a while the hero irked me to no end because all I could picture was him walking behind Miss Know It All carrying her coat, fetching her a drink, etc. I don't care for this type of heroine unless the guy i ...more
Mudpie
I read this book back in the 90s when I was still a school girl...now when I re-read it I wondered what made me like the book so much I kept it! I was stunned I did not like the characters in the book much! Niny Letty, the "yes boss" Joel, the cold Stephanie, Morgan with the much younger new wife who forces his daughter to respect his new wife...and dun get me started on Keith and Diana and the Echo Cove town bullies aka bizmen...
Amy
A nice kushy read with enough plot to be interesting and enough feel good fluff to be a guilty pleasure. Not by favorite book by this author but still very good...more of a 3.5 than a 3. I like the books by her other pseudonyms as well especially Amanda Quick.
Jess
This was a romance book at heart with a little suspense thrown in at the end. While I enjoyed the relationship between the two main characters Letty and Joel I also thought the book was a little dated. This was on of Krentz's early books, but some of the language distracted me. For example one of the scenes there was a secretary using a typewriter. That was like a flash back for me so I was jarred out of the book. Also, the suspense didn't come until the end of the book. It seemed rushed. All of ...more
Tina Wolf
Great

loved the reference to the CEO he sounds totally sexy!!!!!!! and madam president has it go on!!!
great book loved it
Mayu
Admito que en su momento me pareció una novela aceptable, pero ya no. Le pido mucho más a una novela, al menos en cuanto al amor. :(
Hilly
2.5 stars. Rounding down 1/2 star for repetitiveness and up again 1/2 star for the good work of the narrator!

OMG, average JAK, but OMG listening on audiobook emphasized the limitations and OMG repetitiousness of the writing. OMG. (OMG, did JAK receive her fee based on word count for this one?)

However, listening on audiobook also highlighted the skills of the narrator, Mary Peiffer, who is new to me and an enjoyable storyteller.

Overall, an ordinary (and dated) JAK book and yet a satisfactory list
Lauren
Given the kind of silly title I wasn't really planning to pick this one up. But after JAK mentioned a line from it on her facebook, I was intriguied.

And I was glad she perked my interest. The story ended up a little deeper than some of the others I've read by her. I enjoyed the characters and the stereotypes of the regions they lived in. While I'd have to guess they weren't completely accurate, they were still funny. I enjoyed the competition between the main characters and the romance of cours
Shirl
A fun book to read.
Carrie
The character don't appeal to me. I just don't get the humor of a supposedly intelligent woman who starts every conversation with, "I read an article once..." and is so naive she thinks she can step in and run a multimillion dollar company she know nothing about. I'm a few chapters into the book and haven't found any characters I care about. Letty is an incomprehensible woman who is a doormat with her father and her former fiancee, and at the same time a stubborn mule with Joel.
Debbie
This is yet another Jayne Ann Krentz romance about a man with a past who doesn't trust easily and a woman who is learning to trust in herself. The protagonists are likable enough and have good chemistry together. Despite their initial mistrust and wariness, they find themselves strongly attracted to each other. It's a fun romp with a quick story and one or two unexpected curves thrown in. I found it an enjoyable read.
~Sara~
I realized as I started reading this book that I had already read it but a long time ago - who could forget that scene in the office ;). Not a favourite by this author, the relationship dynamics annoyed me. I found Joel a little too overbearing and Letty too accepting but still a good way to pass a lazy day :)
Brianna
it was okay, but i was getting the feeling that the main female's family didn't want her around and that she really did want to fire him, but knew that she didn't have a chance out in the business world, so she kept him. but anyways, it was a good plot line and interesting characters that follow the story completely.
Mallory
Pretty typical Krentz. I wasn't super crazy about the female character. She was a weird mixture of ditzy and naive with proper and intelligent. But overall...pleasant enough read!
~Leslie~
First published in 1984 and it shows it's age slightly, mostly when they needed a cell phone! Pretty typical JAK, slightly muddled heroine inherits a company, the hero is a rather ruthless businessman. But I like the formula and the writing and dialogue are as always brisk and easy to read.
Angie
the sex scenes made me laugh and not in a good way. I really wanted a mindless romance but the romance was definitely not very good in this one. the chemistry between the characters was ok, but the sex scenes were seriously horrible. a little more effort would have been nice.
Marzena
A cute story, the kind of Mrs Krentz honed. We got to meet an interesting and adorable couple, got through the witty and thrilling parts and simply got to spend a nice evening with a good book.
Jeanette
Over all I really liked this book. The ending wasn't as good as I thought it could be. There are some parts that I scammed over because I don't like details in personal matters etc.
Kris
Fun, light, silly, amusing... decent romance with nary a Fabio in sight. Thank goodness. I'm 90-odd percent sure I bought it as an airplane or beach book. Perfect for those!
Lucy
heroine = librarian
she even has a small tribute to libraries at some point in her mental processes (when not otherwise engaged).
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Perfect Partners (1992) 1 2 Sep 27, 2012 12:53PM
  • Shield's Lady (Lost Colony, #3)
  • Raven's Prey
  • Amaryllis (St. Helen's, #1)
  • Rendezvous
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters degre
More about Jayne Ann Krentz...
Running Hot (Arcane Society, # 5) Fired Up (Arcane Society, #7) (Dreamlight Trilogy, #1) Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, # 3) All Night Long White Lies (Arcane Society, #2)

“Letty, it's just a business. Don't get emotional about it.”
She grinned. “You're a fine one to talk. You're the most emotional man I know.”
“The hell I am,” he muttered. “I have a lot more self-control than you do, Madam President.”
“Let's not argue about that,” Letty said”
2 likes
“He leaned back against the Jeep and smiled. “More orders for your CEO, Madam President?”
Her eyes were huge and solemn with concern. “I want you to be very careful tonight.”
“I will,” he promised.
“Joel, I love you. You know that, don't you?”
For an instant he was stunned at the admission. Then elation soared in him. For the moment, at least, it blotted out all the other things he had been
feeling since he'd walked into his apartment and seen the evidence of Victor Copeland's ungovernable rage. He reached for Letty.
“Damn, Letty,” he muttered thickly, “you've picked a fine time to tell me.” He pulled her into his arms, fumbling for the feel of her through the plump
layers of her Thornquist Gear down coat. “You know I love you, too, don't you?”
“Well, you hadn't actually said so,” she reminded him. The comment was tart, but her eyes were brimming with delight. “However, I have been
extremely optimistic.”
“Don't ever forget it.” He kissed her mouth, the only part of her that was not swallowed up by her voluminous jacket. Her lips were warm in spite of
the cold air. Joel groaned and pulled her closer.”
1 likes