Start by marking “Twist of Fate” as Want to Read:
Twist of Fate

Twist of Fate

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  987 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Cloistered as a faculty member at a small college, beautiful Hannah Jessett can almost forget her family heritage. Few know she’s the niece of Elizabeth Nord, the legendary anthropologist who stunned the world with her revolutionary work—until her aunt dies, leaving Hannah in sole possession of her priceless unpublished journals.

But Hannah has other matters to contend with
Published March 1st 1991 by Severn House Publishers (first published June 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Twist of Fate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twist of Fate

Angie
I picked this up wanting mindless romance, and up until the final romantic conflict it was fine. The story was fairly mediocre. Nothing really wrong with it - not great - not horrible - not going to read it again. But then Hannah started dithering about whether she wanted to become an Amazon like other females in her family and write a book - be alone the rest of her life and successful and happy. Or she could follow Gideon and her heart and be happy. Gideon wasn't even pressuring her into choos ...more
Jane Stewart
Thoughtful and enjoyable romance novel deals with corporate raiders and a woman choosing between her career and a man.

Rich corporate raider Gideon gets no joy from his work. Guidance counselor Hannah surprises him by sensing this and gives him unsolicited advice. Hannah first meets Gideon when she visits him to ask him to stop his takeover attempts of her brother’s technology firm. I enjoyed seeing the development of their relationship. He follows her to a vacation island. He visits her in Seatt
Hannah
Twist of Fate was a good novel, but it could have been a great one. As I progressed through the book, I began to think Jayne Ann Krentz had departed from her usual mild romantic suspense formula and had created a set of complex circumstances with no black-and-white answers and no clear villains. Then, just when I was beginning to believe that this was the most nuanced novel Krentz had ever written, she abruptly wrapped up the plot and tied it neatly with a bow. The villains revealed themselves a ...more
Kevin Connery
We understand that the main character is a guidance counselor, but in case we didn’t get the message, it’s repeated pretty much at least once per page. Similarly, once someone knows something, most of their associates reference it, even if there’s no explanation of when they learned it, since they didn’t know about it a few pages earlier. Decent characterization, highly variable dialog (a trend she has maintained even now [this book is from 1986], and somewhat unbelievable “villains”.
Maria
Not a typical Krentz, this book has a hero, Gideon Cage, who is harder, more power hungry and less susceptible to outside influence than most of her males, although like most Krentz heroes, he knows he wants Hannah but is clueless as to why, and a heroine, Hannah Jessett, who is more independent, stronger, and more ambitious, at least for most of the second half of the book, than her females usually are. The theme is revenge, and Ms. Krentz shows its effects in three different ways plus the myst ...more
Mem
Gideon Cage, a jaded corporate raider with an eye for the deal, as well as the ladies.
Hannah Jesset, guidance counselor, a determined young woman surprises him by sensing this and gives him unsolicited advice.
Hannah shakes up his world when she confronts Gideon on his plan to take-over her brother's software company. She points out that he does not need the business and suggests he gamble with her, best of three, for the company.
Along with the story of Hannah's inheritance is the mystery of a
Jane (PS)
I vacillated between being very interested in the book (enjoying the 'mystery' and H/h interaction) and wondering where it was going (particularly toward the end). I wasn't convinced about Hannah - she had some pretty strange notions and confused ideas about strength and love. Her ponderings from the middle of the book through to the end didn't really add much to the story. One can see this must have been written in the eighties for her idea of self-destiny to be a resolution issue. In the end, ...more
Shawna Hansen
Lots of feisty moments in Twist of Fate. It's fun to follow the story from Vegas all the way to a lush island. Lots of great adventures and fun clues to help us solve the mystery. Plenty of action to keep the reader interested. The romance was OK. I always love JAK's spunky heroines and imperfect heros. Fun & quick read with lots of fun solving a rather devious mystery.
Sabrina
Started off as a fun, light read. By the end, it was just dull. Needed some good editing. Most of the elements were boring and overdone (her safari look, the necklace, what do I choose!), and by the end the dialogue was coming out in paragraphs, basically rehashing the entire plot. The last chapters were a painful read.
Nenya
Lovely little whodunnit. No over the top theatrics. Nice sweet story. I skipped around a bit, but then, I've read almost all JAK atleast once :).

Not my absolute favorite JAK, but 4star+.

I liked JAK's (or the h's aunt's) POV on academia :). JAK gives us a few clues about the villain(s) from the start (view spoiler)
Carrie
This is a very difficult book for me to rate. It was mainly a romance, with a small suspense plot going on in the background. There is a lot of introspective thinking, especially by the female lead, Hannah, and it was often very interesting. Watching her work through "finding herself" over the course of the book was fascinating, although it went on just a little too long for me. Hannah is suppose to be this insightful person, but it took her a long time to see herself and her choices clearly. Th ...more
Ursula Gorman
Victoria (nocturnalintimacy)
Ugh. God save me from terrible romances. I downloaded this from my library because the cover looked cool. I admit, I judged too early.

The book was dated, from the wardrobe (hello neon leotard) to the lack of cell phones.

I had a hard time relating to the main character. Not only was she passive, but her career (academic guidance counselor) was unrealistic. Every academic advisor I had in college was useless, and her constant need to give advise outside of an academic environment was just ridicu
Kari
I had a really hard time deciding whether or not to like this book. I did manage to listen to the entire audiobook, but I will admit that I was kind of bored. I didn't really see the passion between Hannah and Gideon. Even the HEA didn't really make me overly excited. I also thought thet the book was a bit out of date, even for 1991. The way Hannah feels that she can't have it all was puzzling to me. Even in 1991, women were doing it all the time.

The mystery wasn't really one. I picked out who
Julia
This book was dragging like crazy & there is endless wittering on about if a woman can have a career AND a man. I was WTFing all over the place until I realized noticed it was written in 1986. 80s gender politics I don't like you one bit
Bebe Four
I didn't find the characters as sharply drawn as I would have expected from Krentz. Hannah's mindset and motivations were especially murky.
WillowBe
What can you say? it's JAK pre the new millennium. A bit of sexism that was considered caddish then and mildly horrifying now. The first love scene made me snicker, it sounded like a scene from Search for Tomorrow (a 60's soap opera). But otherwise quite enjoyable. Its nice when the mystsery is solved, but you look and there are 30 pages to go. That means there will be plenty of work on the relationship done so that the HEA is believable. I was happy with this, more so than the current ones.

is i
Rebecca
Micheeeleeee ❤️
It was a pretty good book . More about people issues than romance but I enjoyed it .
Susan (the other Susan)
Entertaining-ish with a nice adult romance. The suspense element is an unfortunate distraction.
Lidiane Gomes
Una lectura que me ha sorprendido mucho y que me ha tenido enganchada desde el principio.
Girllovesbeach
Good read. Romance with some mystery thrown in. Similar to but not quite as good as River Road.
Shirl
A fun read about strong women and strong men.
Alexis-Morgan Roark
Seriously? The ONLY reason I gave this book 3-stars was Gideon. The rest of them, including the heroine, are just TSTL and in serious need of therapy. There was waaaaaay to much TALKING and waxing poetic and self-analysis and amateur psychoanalysis. Also, the self-revelations and mini-monolgues just got on my nerves.

Good points: Gideon. The nice vacation for the mind in St. Inez. Gideon.

Oh. I had to dump the audiobook and check this out at the LAPL. Another credit burned!!
Mandy
I read this because an Amanda Quick book was recommended to me. This is the same author, just a different pen name.

There’s nothing really wrong with this book other than how dated it is. So much of the book is devoted to the heroine struggling between a man and her career. Um…you can have both. By the end, it was extremely annoying and I was glad the book was over.
Briana
I'd give it 3.5 if I could. Pretty solid introduction to Krentz's work. I liked the strength and complexity to both Hannah and Gideon's characters and the processes they went through to get their happy ending. The book is more character driven than plot driven but it works well that way and the plot is still good. Will look into more of Krentz's books for sure.
February Four
So far I've read two Krentz books that weren't Arcane Society, and both have involved Vegas. At least Vegas doesn't feature prominently in this one... only slightly prominently. That said, this was a nice read, though I had to wonder at some point if it was just getting dragged on just because.
Kona
Not very exciting. I was especially tired of reading about Hannah's "safari" wardrobe. She sounded very insecure and not the strong character she was supposed to be. Can one person really have that many clothes in her closet with epaulets and pockets. She sounded like a mess!
Carla_Collette
Oh, those 80's fashions cracked me up, but I found this an ok escape read. Not as good as Krentz's more recent novels, but this one had intrigue and a bit of anthropology along with an alpha-male romance. Entertaining.
Brittany
I kept getting distracted while trying to read this. The plot just couldn't keep my attention. It was so obvious from the very beginning. It wasn't awful, but I wouldn't recommend to a friend.
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Twist of Fate (1986) 1 3 Sep 27, 2012 12:27PM
  • Corporate Affair
  • A Man's Protection (Candlelight Ecstasy, #36)
  • Affair
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters degre
More about Jayne Ann Krentz...
Running Hot (Arcane Society, #5) Fired Up (Arcane Society, #7) (Dreamlight Trilogy, #1) Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, #3) All Night Long White Lies (Arcane Society, #2)