The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading

The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  35 reviews
An accessible primer on phonics-based teaching filters out the obscure, political, and gimmicky practices of typical programs to provide parents with simple steps on teaching children how to read, providing a wealth of tools, instructional advice, and easy-to-follow guidelines. 10,000 firs
Published October 17th 2004 by Peace Hill Press

To ask other readers questions about The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading

M
Of course, I am a huge fan of Jesse Wise and her daughter, Susan Wise Bauer (authors of "The Well Trained Mind") so when I saw that Jesse Wise had written this book, I had to check it out.

It's wonderful.

She uses a phonics approach and goes step-by-step first teaching sound-symbol association, then basic words. Using catchy rhymes, children learn first the consonant and short-vowel sounds, then progress to the long-vowel sounds. All the while, they're building on what they've learned by reading...more
Jill
This book is organized into lessons with script for the parent to follow to teach phonetic reading concepts to their children. It's not flowery. It's not illustrated. It's direct with enough ideas for games and variation to keep my son's interest. Sometimes he doesn't want to read. Sometimes he gets frustrated - but if he sticks to it, immediately after the frustration is when he conquers the difficult concept and breezes ahead.

We go through a lesson or a half-lesson almost every day. If it's a...more
Sara
When I started using this book to teach my son to read, I found it a bit tedious. My son grudgingly did it, but after awhile, it was just part the daily routine, so it went more smoothly. Eventually he really caught on, and we whizzed through the last sections. He reads very well now, at age six. Every child is different, but this worked for us. It is a bare bones, very thorough resource.
Heather

My delayed 9 year old has struggles with a handful of phonics programs and methods. We use this with a white board. We write the words and sentences on the white board. Amazing progress for him. The white board seems to help him as he isn't distracted by other words on the page.
Natalie
I like it.

Very easy to understand, no need for anything extra.

Bit boring for children to look at (this is basically only book the two of you will need).

My firstborn didn't actually like that style of learning because he was very young at the time. Now he's 5 1/2 and learned through daily homework activities to sit still for ten - fifteen minutes or so, so we're going to give it a go.

Although I just might have to go with another program to help him have "fun" while learning, this is exactly ho...more
Catherine
No pictures to distract, very thorough, and inexpensive. I have also used Bob Books, to teach reading, which I also like to throw in with this book toward the end for variety. I am on my second child learning to read using this book and am very pleased. My other kids have learned with other programs and I think this one is more direct with the phonics rules and will be helpful with spelling down the line. (My only complaint is that sometimes the text is a little hard to read - the t and f can be...more
Kathleenob
A good foundational plan for teaching phonics, but you better bust out the sock puppets because it can get a little boring for the child!
Margaret
My first exposure to homeschooling was through SisterL and her decision to do so. She's a Catholic Stay-at-home Navy Wife and Mama to six and it fits their life perfectly. My second introduction was not just to homeschooling, but also to a Classical Christian Education through my job as a long term and short notice substitute teacher at a Classical Christian Education School in Georgia. Working there was some of the best months ever as I learned about the methods in teaching a Classical Christia...more
Matthewandnicole
Through experience I found that my daughter does not do well with traditional approaches to phonics involving crafts, games, and stories. Since TOPGTTR is a bare-bones phonics program, it was perfect for her. The lessons are short and visually pleasing on the page, albeit very basic. This is not an unimportant factor when the child is expected to read sentences as they gain the ability to read. Through rhymes, the book takes the child from the short vowels to the remaining consonants and then on...more
Molly Ricks
So far we are 42 lessons in and Blake is doing great, he's reading! Each lesson is 10 minutes long, and I think as long as you are consistent (we don't do weekends) it works! I will update this review when we are done with it. UPDATE: We never finished all of the lessons. around lesson 100 or something Blake got pretty burned out. The parts they have the child read are boring, and Blake started to hate reading. So we dropped this and just started reading easy reader books. He now loves to read a...more
Annie Smith
My biggest fear when I began homeschooling was teaching my children how to read. I am not an "elementary" type of person, and all of the phonics activities, sight words, various readers, etc. intimidated the bajeebies out of me. But, this book was the saving grace - it's a no-nonsense approach, but oh, so effective. I have employed it with two of my children, who are extremely successful readers, and plan to begin my third child next fall. The beauty of it is that my children are enamored with w...more
Elissa
I'm actually still working through this with my daughter. But I've read enough to review it. It is a helpful guide for anyone wanting to introduce reading to their child, and especially for the homeschooling parent. It is a phonics-based system and it's easy to adapt for your own child. Sometimes I combine lessons for my daughter when she's picking up on things quickly, or do one lesson for a week if needed. I don't teach her directly from the book, as she doesn't respond well from that. Instead...more
Alenna
I haven't finished this book... but then as it is a lesson book for teaching reading, I feel like I can rate it without actually finishing it. I started going through the lessons from the very beginning with my two five-year-olds and they reviewed all the sounds the letters make. Within a few weeks after starting the actual reading lessons (just last month) they were reading short sentences. Now we've progressed to consonant blends and they are again doing well with reading phonetically. After h...more
Alisha G
This is the best reading manual I've come across. There's no tricks or gimmicks (not even pictures); it's just good old-fashioned phonics, and lots of it. My four-year-old was sounding out words on her own before she had even learned the whole alphabet, because she understood the phonics behind reading. I especially love the way it introduces long-vowel sounds and irregular words.
I actually didn't need to make it through the whole book; now I'm just using it to reinforce concepts when my childr...more
Dana Oride
Jan 24, 2012 Dana Oride marked it as to-read
borrowed from UP library after The Well-Trained Mind. Looked through it a little, didn't try any of the lessons as they seemed above the level of my 2.5 yo. I have not satisfactorily educated myself about sight reading vs. phonics, and I'm not sure that it needs to be a matter of contention anyway. For the time being, this is above both my son's and my level of interest/dedication. Our current philosophy is that reading is a frequent, pleasurable activity, plus all the opportunities for reading...more
Liz
We started with this book after my oldest son and I had gotten through most of the "pink" and "blue" word series via the Montessori curriculum. Great timing and you still use the moveable alphabet. Nothing to make ahead of time (which was where I was getting stopped up with the Montessori Method...I just didn't have the time and by the time he mastered one lesson, he needed another 2 weeks later). I highly recommend this book.
Moira
Nice, basic way to teach your child to read. The absolute lack of illustrations and graphics is actually wonderful for my child, who is easily distracted by images and uses them to "guess" what he's reading rather than attempt to read. This book not only has given him confidence that he _can_ read, he looks forward to reading sentences and making up his own sentences with each new word he learns.
Karyn
I highly recommend this book to anyone who wishes to teach a child to read. We tried another program first with frustrating results. This book was a lifesaver. So gentle and so CLEAR! Jamey is progressing quickly while enjoying reading.
NOTE: Currently working through the book at read date.
Tori
After looking at MANY books on how to teach your child to read, I finally found one that made sense to me and worked with what I had already been doing with my child. I shouldn't have been surprised, since I'm a big Susan Wise-Bauer fan. This is a great, no-nonsense, no gimmick approach.
Jeanne
I previously had this rated at 2 stars. However, I've ended up using the book and liking it MUCH more as my children have become more proficient readers. I recommend parents begin with Phonics Pathways and then transition to this book after learning to read CVC words.
Matthew
Both of our kids learned their alphabet using this book. We have friends whose daughter learned to read by age 4 using this book, but we just aren't that gung-ho. We did earlier parts of the book, but let the Preschool and Kindergarten teachers take it from there.
Tawni
I started this with Ashley and she loves it and I really think it works. She is really good at sounding things out now and creating words. I got it from the library but may end up buying it if we have to give it back before I feel like we are through with it.
Deann
not enough reinforcement. re reading the same thing leads to memorization, not mastery. turns into tongue twisters, difficult language that early readers don't understand. switched after the book began teaching long vowels and we're doing much better now!
Amber
We hit lesson 35 and then my son was done working on schooling during summer (and I can't blame him) but he knows more sight words and is well on his way. My daughter has picked some up as well. It is a good book to use, highly recommend it :)
Jenn
Great book! The lessons are just the right length. My kids are able to easily understand each concept from the way it is presented. We've tried a few different books on learning to read, and this one has been, by far, the best.
Elizabeth
I've been working with my son on these lessons since early December (07). It is so exciting to see him learning to read. Lessons are clear and very well-laid out. Excellent for teaching phonics to your child.
Jen
I really liked her "First Language Lessons" but this is bland. My daughter likes the "The Reading Lesson" better, and also, I suspect, "Phonics Pathways" and "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons".
Melanie
Aug 30, 2014 Melanie is currently reading it
Using this with my eldest for reading. She's catching on better with this than just the Bob books on their own, even though we both think it is pretty dull. At least the lessons are short.
Genet
Very helpful as I started teaching B to read, though we haven't used it as much as I would've thought. He got the hang of things quickly and hasn't needed too many formal lessons.
Kaitlyn
Great book!! My oldest was having a hard time understanding certain rules when it came to reading and this book really helped me to help her understand and make sense of things.
  • Ancient Times: From the Earliest Nomads to the Last Roman Emperor
  • The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia
  • 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum: Choosing the Right Educational Philosophy for Your Child's Learning Style
  • The First Year of Homeschooling Your Child: Your Complete Guide to Getting Off to the Right Start
  • Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School
  • Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons
  • When Children Love to Learn: A Practical Application of Charlotte Mason's Philosophy for Today
  • The Three R's
  • Drawing with Children
  • The Handbook of Nature Study
  • The Original Homeschooling Series (Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling #1-6)
  • The Core: Teaching Your Child the Foundations of Classical Education
  • The Mindful Child: How to Help Your Kid Manage Stress and Become Happier, Kinder, and More Compassionate
  • Educating the Wholehearted Child
  • Climbing Parnassus: A New Apologia for Greek and Latin
  • Playful Learning: Develop Your Child's Sense of Joy and Wonder
  • A Charlotte Mason Companion: Personal Reflections on the Gentle Art of Learning
  • Honey for a Child's Heart: The Imaginative Use of Books in Family Life
First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind: Level 1 & 2 First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind: Level 3 Instructor Guide First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind: Level 1 First Language Lessons For The Well Trained Mind: Level 2 (First Language Lessons) First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind: Level 4 Student Workbook