Start by marking “7 Money Mantras for a Richer Life: How to Live Well with the Money You Have” as Want to Read:
7 Money Mantras for a Richer Life: How to Live Well with the Money You Have

7 Money Mantras for a Richer Life: How to Live Well with the Money You Have

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The author of this guide to a richer life is the nationally syndicated "Washington Post" columnist of "The Color of Money."
Published December 16th 2003 by Random House (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about 7 Money Mantras for a Richer Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 7 Money Mantras for a Richer Life

LeeAnn
This book promises to be as useful to me as Smart Cookies was not. The advice on page 9 to keep a spending journal cracks me up! The author writes, "Whenever you're tempted to go shopping, write down why before you go. Write down how it will make you feel to add more debt to your credit card. Write down what's motivating you to spend the money. Are you stressed about something at work? Are your children getting on your last nerve? Has your spouse ticked you off? Putting your thoughts to paper ha ...more
Clare
A lot of it is plain common sense, but it is very readable & easy to understand. For people with a lot of knowledge about money management, it may seem too simplistic, but for the rest of us, or for people who are in a hole, trying to figure out how to get out, it may be very helpful. Some of her suggestions are very easy, just baby steps. The one thing she emphasized that was drilled into me by my father was the difference between "NEEDS" and "WANTS". I think the line nowadays gets blurred. ...more
Rachael
This book is well-written, informative and practical. It's designed more for someone who's trying to figure out their finances (a great gift for newlyweds!), so if you're already really happy with your financial plan it's not going to be a stock-picking guide or something like that (although I think the best stock strategy is to diversify and hold, but that's tangential). The focus of the book is definitely on saving money rather than on how to spend or invest wisely.
Cheri
Aug 20, 2008 Cheri rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: newbies and those trying to kick their relatives off the couch
Very basic advice on personal finance (if it's on your ass, it's not an asset, save more, etc.) from "Big Mama," an African American woman's grandmother.

The only thing that made it unique was that it addressed some class issues that don't normally come up in personal finance books - such as what to do when your extended family comes to live with you, and your financial obligations to help your extended family members.
Kristy Lee
A smart savy financial guide for just about anybody. It is a need or a want? Do you have enought for retirement? Singletary offers a unique perspective and gives ideas on how to be thrifty. She's sassy, honest and humorous..gets right to the point. YOU control your financial future. Make the most of what you make, not what you want.
Alice
Basic information just told in a different way. Attended Michelle's live talk on 4/21/12 and laughed so hard I was almost crying! Everyone should present financial information this way.
Margaret
Dec 17, 2007 Margaret rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new college grads
Shelves: finishedreading
Definitely great to pick up a few lessons about personal finance. It's never too early to start, and you should totally capitalize on the power of compounding early on!
Carla
This book was filled with great tips that have helped me change how I work my financial business.

A must read!
Elise
I enjoyed listening to this on tape so much that I was sorry when it ended.
Marie
I like Singletary's no-nonsense, down-to-earth approaches to money...
Brandi
No nonsense advice on getting your money together.
Heather
Good book about finance and money management.
Nicolle Atchison
Funny and easy to read... Good review
Murugaraj
Murugaraj marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Lilyanne
Lilyanne marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Tricey Brown
Tricey Brown marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Power to Prosper: 21 Days to Financial Freedom Your Money and Your Man: How You and Prince Charming Can Spend Well and Live Rich