Start by marking “7 Money Mantras for a Richer Life: How to Live Well with the Money You Have” as Want to Read:
7 Money Mantras for a Richer Life: How to Live Well with the Money You Have

7 Money Mantras for a Richer Life: How to Live Well with the Money You Have

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  97 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The author of this guide to a richer life is the nationally syndicated "Washington Post" columnist of "The Color of Money."
Published December 16th 2003 by Random House (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about 7 Money Mantras for a Richer Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 7 Money Mantras for a Richer Life

LeeAnn
May 05, 2013 LeeAnn rated it really liked it
Shelves: financial
This book promises to be as useful to me as Smart Cookies was not. The advice on page 9 to keep a spending journal cracks me up! The author writes, "Whenever you're tempted to go shopping, write down why before you go. Write down how it will make you feel to add more debt to your credit card. Write down what's motivating you to spend the money. Are you stressed about something at work? Are your children getting on your last nerve? Has your spouse ticked you off? Putting your thoughts to paper ha ...more
Clare
Jan 09, 2010 Clare rated it liked it
A lot of it is plain common sense, but it is very readable & easy to understand. For people with a lot of knowledge about money management, it may seem too simplistic, but for the rest of us, or for people who are in a hole, trying to figure out how to get out, it may be very helpful. Some of her suggestions are very easy, just baby steps. The one thing she emphasized that was drilled into me by my father was the difference between "NEEDS" and "WANTS". I think the line nowadays gets blurred. ...more
False Millennium
Jun 16, 2016 False Millennium rated it liked it
Practical ideas on how we gain and use our money. She tackles some big issues involving student debt, retirement savings and taking on the debt of relatives and friends.
DeShawn McGhee
Feb 01, 2015 DeShawn McGhee rated it liked it
Love the simplicity of this book. I also love that she gives recommendations for how to go about doing things. The book was written a while ago but many things are still applicable
Rachael
Mar 27, 2008 Rachael rated it really liked it
This book is well-written, informative and practical. It's designed more for someone who's trying to figure out their finances (a great gift for newlyweds!), so if you're already really happy with your financial plan it's not going to be a stock-picking guide or something like that (although I think the best stock strategy is to diversify and hold, but that's tangential). The focus of the book is definitely on saving money rather than on how to spend or invest wisely.
Cheri
Aug 20, 2008 Cheri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: newbies and those trying to kick their relatives off the couch
Very basic advice on personal finance (if it's on your ass, it's not an asset, save more, etc.) from "Big Mama," an African American woman's grandmother.

The only thing that made it unique was that it addressed some class issues that don't normally come up in personal finance books - such as what to do when your extended family comes to live with you, and your financial obligations to help your extended family members.
Kristy Lee
A smart savy financial guide for just about anybody. It is a need or a want? Do you have enought for retirement? Singletary offers a unique perspective and gives ideas on how to be thrifty. She's sassy, honest and humorous..gets right to the point. YOU control your financial future. Make the most of what you make, not what you want.
Alice
Apr 27, 2012 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: financial
Basic information just told in a different way. Attended Michelle's live talk on 4/21/12 and laughed so hard I was almost crying! Everyone should present financial information this way.
Margaret
Dec 17, 2007 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new college grads
Shelves: finishedreading
Definitely great to pick up a few lessons about personal finance. It's never too early to start, and you should totally capitalize on the power of compounding early on!
Carla
Jan 10, 2009 Carla rated it it was amazing
This book was filled with great tips that have helped me change how I work my financial business.

A must read!
Elise
Jul 03, 2011 Elise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed listening to this on tape so much that I was sorry when it ended.
Marie
Apr 11, 2008 Marie rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I like Singletary's no-nonsense, down-to-earth approaches to money...
Brandi
Feb 01, 2008 Brandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readit
No nonsense advice on getting your money together.
Heather
Good book about finance and money management.
Nicolle Atchison
Oct 08, 2010 Nicolle Atchison rated it really liked it
Funny and easy to read... Good review
Shannon Johnson
Shannon Johnson marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Deepa Modi
Deepa Modi rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Morgan
Morgan rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2016
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Ann Marie
Ann Marie marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Erica Reichert
Erica Reichert marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Erica Reichert
Erica Reichert marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
L N
L N marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
M.A. Bronson
M.A. Bronson marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Bobbie
Bobbie marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Latrice
Latrice marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Constance R Anderson
Constance R Anderson marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Ayiticherie
Ayiticherie marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Hundred Dollar Holiday: The Case For A More Joyful Christmas
  • Girl, Make Your Money Grow!: A Sister's Guide to Protecting Your Future and Enriching Your Life
  • The Power Playbook: Rules for Independence, Money and Success
  • Big Green Purse: Use Your Spending Power to Create a Cleaner, Greener World
  • Make Money, Not Excuses: Wake Up, Take Charge, and Overcome Your Financial Fears Forever
  • Suze Orman's Action Plan: New Rules for New Times
  • Generation Debt
  • A Belle in Brooklyn: Advice for Living Your Single Life and Enjoying Mr. Right Now
  • The Woman Code: 20 Powerful Life Strategies You Need to Navigate Today's Challenges
  • Your Money: The Missing Manual
  • Debt Is Slavery: And 9 Other Things I Wish My Day Had Taught Me about Money
  • What Makes the Great Great
  • The Finish Rich Workbook: Creating a Personalized Plan for a Richer Future (Get out of debt, Put your dreams in action and achieve Financial Freedom
  • The Frugalista Files: How One Woman Got Out of Debt Without Giving Up the Fabulous Life
  • The Naked Truth: Young, Beautiful, and (HIV) Positive
  • Illustrated Guide to Gardening (updated w/ color)
  • The 4 Day Diet
  • Don't Bring Home a White Boy: And Other Notions that Keep Black Women From Dating Out