Start by marking “Motif for Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #4)” as Want to Read:
Motif for Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #4)

Motif for Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery #4)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,209 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
After Hurricane Katrina, scrapbooking shop owner Carmela Bertrand has her hands full getting Memory Mine back in business-and her relationship with her ex-husband, Shamus, back on its feet. But then Shamus is kidnapped, and Carmela discovers Shamus's Uncle Henry, murdered.

Carmela puts together a sentimental scrapbook of memories and keepsakes of Henry. But her project ho
Published October 2nd 2007 by Berkley Prime Crime (first published September 5th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Motif for Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Motif for Murder

Jenni V.
Oct 27, 2013 Jenni V. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I understand that with "amateur sleuth" mysteries, the reader must suspend disbelief as the main character puts together clues the professionals missed and comes out of very dangerous situations relatively unscathed. However, this book reealllly tested the limits (can't say more to avoid spoilers). For example, if you rescue someone from kidnappers and must flee the scene at 120 mph because they're chasing you, you shouldn't stop at a diner down the road, sit down for biscuits and gravy, and let ...more
Patty
Sep 05, 2010 Patty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this series. The scrapbooking doesn't really interest me but the characters are great and they mystery was a good one this time. Carmela is back with husband Shamus when he is kidnapped and his uncle is killed. The police are baffled and Carmela and her BFF head out to solve the crimes.

I didn't see the ending coming as far as the mystery but I love the fact that Carmela is growing more sure of herself and more able to stand her ground against playboy Shamus. It will be interesting to see
Sandra
Jul 21, 2015 Sandra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad cozy mystery but the ending was a little disappointing.

The coarse language sprinkled throughout the book added nothing to the story and could have easily been omitted.
Nov 05, 2014 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A few years ago, I was the senior Buyer for an online crafts site. This book came across my desk. The author wanted us to sell it on our site.

I never got around to it, the site folded after the crisis of '08, & this has sat on my TBR shelf ever since. I kept it more because of the connection to New Orleans, where I lived fir several years, than anything else.

I'm now in the process of emptying what has become my TBR bookcase, & this was up. As I originally suspected, it's not very good. N
Lain
Jul 31, 2008 Lain rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I keep reading these, hoping they'll get better... after all, they are about scrapbooking! But unfortunately I keep getting disappointed. If the editing errors ("summersault??")and sentence fragments don't get you, the ridiculous plot will.

The biggest letdown? Laura Childs is a pretty good writer. Her prose flows and the descriptions are fun and colorful. I suggest she get a better editor, one who actually does his or her job.
Michele
Aug 07, 2012 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fluff, mystery, series
Love this series...love the other 2 she does, too. Can't wait to read the next ones...fun reads, no blood and gore, just a dead body is found but the description is just enough so you know there was a murder.....but not ALL the details! And, there is some fun involved....the characters are a hoot.
Margaret
May 30, 2011 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I really like Laura Child but her women do have trouble with their men. Think I like the Charleston series better, but New Orleans is growing on me.
Andrea Kelly
Jul 13, 2012 Andrea Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Fun mysteries centered around New Orleans and Scrapbooking! It's hard to decide whether I like these or Childs' Tea Series more.
Wendy
Apr 11, 2011 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting mystery, light read. Love the NewOrleans culture, great recipes, fun scrap booking tips!
Deb Sharp
Sep 22, 2012 Deb Sharp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots going on in this book, very busy and full of excitment.
Dharia Scarab
So sad to see the author fall back on the same formula she uses in tea shop books where the killer is someone that was never on the radar as a suspect, and the book climaxes with the killer coming after the main character over a clue she doesn't know she has...

There were a bunch of other things that bothered me, but I won't bother going onto all of them. Although might start up my identify the killer & motive game. Although I might add guess the clues to the game.

Since I don't normally write
Becky
Sep 30, 2010 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Book 4 of The Scrapbooking Mysteries. This mystery takes place the following spring after Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans.

Shortly after a 2nd reconciliation between Carmela & Shamus, Shamus is kidnapped and their Uncle Henry is murdered.

Carmela busies herself with a new murder investigation with help from her friend, Ava. She also gets help from Detective Edgar Babcock who is either bothered by or amused with Carmela’s amateur sleuthing.

So this isn’t on her mind all of the time, C
Maggie
Feb 28, 2009 Maggie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book No. 4 of the Scrapbooking Mystery series. I'm surprised to realize that Carmela is a young woman in her mid 20's. I don't picture her that young, but more a more mature lady. I'm trying to get my mind around this. I was curious how they were going to work Hurricane Katrina into the series to keep it factual.

In the terrible wake of Hurrican Katrina, Carmela has her hands full getting Memory Mine back in business and her relationship with her ex husband, Shamus, back on its feet. But the reco
Christy England siegerdt
If Goodreads allowed negative ratings this would be minus five... Don't waste your time on this. No depth to the characters or plot. Entire book was completely ridiculous, unbelievable kidnappings, break-ins and attacks, and constantly disrupted by unnecessary details about New Orleans, scrap booking, or food. Seemed like the author was just trying to crank out a minimum number of pages.
Michelle
Jul 23, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This is the 4th book in the Scrapbooking series set in New Orleans. It is the first in the series to take place post-Katrina. Carmela, recently reconciled with her husband, is having doubts about her decision. Shamus, is kidnapped out of the kitchen and after calling 911, she heads next door to her husband's Uncle Henry's house. When she finds that Henry has been murdered as well things get complicated. Carmela and her friend Ava investigate and try to find out what has happened. While they are ...more
Holly
May 24, 2014 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardcovers-read
I just started reading Laura Childs books and have enjoyed them very much. This is the first series I have read where the characters live in the 'French Quarter' of New Orleans and that the area is built above marshlands. In Mofif for Murder, Carmela finally gets back with her wayword husband Shamus and he gets kidnapped. When the police do not locate him, Carmela along with her bestfriend Ava strike out on their own and locate him and a wild chase ensues. Great fun! This is my favorite book of ...more
Jana Kerr
Oct 24, 2015 Jana Kerr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This series of books are what I would call light reading. But I am a scrapbooker and love mysteries, so I picked one up and have enjoyed all that I've read. They are set in New Orleans, and have a cast of characters I like - mostly lovable, several quirky, and some despicable ones thrown in. If you are looking for a light, fun, mystery give this series a try. (All include scrapbooking ideas and recipes.)
Karen Hufman
Not my favorite in the series. Carmela is back together with her husband who is kidnapped at the beginning of the book and at the same time she finds out that his likable uncle was murdered. Carmela has always had an off and on relationship with her husband throughout the series but I always felt his relationship with his ogre of a sister really doomed their marriage. In this one of the series, I did not like her husband and wondered why she was ever with him in the first place. This whole book ...more
Ann
Oct 20, 2012 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carmela Bertrand is the owner of Memory Mine, a scrapbooking store in the heart of the city of New Orleans. After Hurricane Katrina, Carmela and her husband Shamus have tried once again to make a go of their marriage. Shamus is kidnapped and his uncle Henry is murdered and Carmela has to rescue Shamus and find the murderer. This is a good series although I enjoy Ms. Childs' teashop series more. Carmela gets herself into major situations by not trusting the police and putting herself into danger ...more
Pam
Oct 24, 2013 Pam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Laura Childs' mysteries have just enough suspense and action to propel the reader forward without compromising the book's category of a "cozy mystery". Her characters are interesting and well developed, however I prefer her Tea Shop Mysteries because I better relate to that group of characters. Carmela and Ava, in the Scrapbooking Mysteries, are a bit too girly, and are frequently being ill prepared for their adventures. Both series require a bit of imagination as both Theodosia from the Tea Sho ...more
Wendi
Dec 26, 2014 Wendi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun one in the scrapbooking mystery series. It takes you on a trip through the city of Charleston after hurricane Katrina as Carmela tries to find her kidnapped husband and find out who killed his Uncle Henry.
Lois Hecksel
Apr 24, 2016 Lois Hecksel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Motif for Murder is a charming cozy with unconventional characters which provides an engaging read. Paper-crafting tips and recipes are included.
Diane Wachter
Mar 01, 2016 Diane Wachter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Motif for Murder: Scrapbooking Mystery, Bk 4, Laura Childs, PB-B, @ 2006, 11/07. Murder mystery, kidnapping, set in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Slow to get into. Okay.
Kim Ehrenhaft
Jun 13, 2014 Kim Ehrenhaft rated it really liked it
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Lollyletsgo
Jul 03, 2012 Lollyletsgo rated it liked it
When I first started this series I didn't really care for the characters, I don't know why - just didn't take to them, I don't really scrapbook either so... For some reason, I saw this one and said let's give 'em another go round just to make sure.

Okay, I'm starting to like these characters, they are growing on me, and I think that it's because life isn't all peachy keen in their world, they all have issues just like all of us. I'll be honest, I still don't scrapbook, but I like the setting and
Kathy
Mar 15, 2015 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardback
Very enjoyable. Interesting characters and plot. Recommend for those that enjoy a good cozy mystery.
Ginny Hillyer
I was surprised to find so many typographical/spelling/grammatical errors.
I have read other books by Laura Childs from her "tea" series and I enjoyed them much better than this one.
Susan
Mar 16, 2015 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the book but not a scrapbooker. That part sometimes is dragging.
Neeka
Oct 08, 2014 Neeka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: laura-childs
I truly enjoy thus series. The setting if New Orleans, the shop being a scrapbook store, the recipes...
The characters are fun, fiesty, smart, and clever. The main character doesn't have a perfect life or marriage - yet she does have good friends.
I think one of the mai. reasons I live this series so much is that one of my dreams has been to live in the French Quarter and also do be able to bring in income doing something I am passionate about.
This is a fun read - and I suggest checking this ou
Jennifer Gelert
Oct 13, 2013 Jennifer Gelert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read her tea mysteries so I was interested to read the books with a scrapbooking theme. The scene is New Orleans right after Hurricane Katrina. Our heroine owns a scrapbook store and is married to a wealthy man. In one night he is kidnapped and his uncle murdered. She is determined to solve the crime and in the process realizes her husband is not the man for her.

I also enjoyed the scrapbook tips that are shared. I have so many new things to try; if only I had the time. Looking forward to
  • Framed in Lace (A Needlecraft Mystery, #2)
  • This Old Souse (Bed-and-Breakfast, #20)
  • Photo, Snap, Shot (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #4)
  • Stamped Out (A Stamping Sisters Mystery, #1)
  • Mulch Ado About Nothing (Jane Jeffry, #12)
  • Pane of Death (A Glassblowing Mystery, #2)
  • Spanish Dagger (China Bayles, #15)
  • Panic Button (Button Box Mystery, #3)
  • Pinned for Murder (A Southern Sewing Circle, #3)
  • A Killer Stitch (A Knitting Mystery, #4)
  • The Chocolate Mouse Trap (A Chocoholic Mystery, #5)
  • Killer Wedding (Madeline Bean, #3)
Laura Childs is a pseudonym for Gerry Schmitt and she is the best-selling author of the Tea Shop Mysteries, the Scrapbook Mysteries, and the Cackleberry Club Mysteries.

Laura Childs is the New York Times bestselling author of the Tea Shop Mysteries, Scrapbook Mysteries, and Cackleberry Club Mysteries. In her previous life she was CEO/Creative Director of her own marketing firm and authored several
More about Laura Childs...

A Scrapbooking Mystery (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Keepsake Crimes (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #1)
  • Photo Finished (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #2)
  • Bound for Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #3)
  • Frill Kill (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #5)
  • Death Swatch (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #6)
  • Tragic Magic (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #7)
  • Fiber and Brimstone (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #8)
  • Skeleton Letters (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #9)
  • Postcards from the Dead (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #10)
  • Gilt Trip