Start by marking “The Best American Mystery Stories 2001” as Want to Read:
The Best American Mystery Stories 2001

The Best American Mystery Stories 2001 (The Best American Mystery Stories)

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  61 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Best-selling author Lawrence Block is one of the mystery genre's most prolific authors, with more than fifty books to his name, including Hit List, published in 2000. Block's selections for The Best American Mystery Stories 2001 include stories by such luminaries as Joyce Carol Oates, T. Jefferson Parker, Russell Banks, and Peter Robinson.
Audio, 1 page
Published October 10th 2001 by Mariner Books (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Best American Mystery Stories 2001, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best American Mystery Stories 2001

Lou
May 16, 2012 Lou rated it it was amazing
The audiobook had less stories than the print version.
There are two really well written good stories in here. These two are also my first tasters of these two authors works, one being the recently passed away great writer William Gay and the other of the female writer Joyce Carol Oates. Definitely worth buying this collection just to read those two. Peter Robinson's' story is also good and a first of his to read. Lawrence block provides a nice introduction and explains that he selected these fro
Julie
A few were good, most were hard for me to see as mysteries.
Leslie
Apr 18, 2011 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-fiction, 2011
A good collection, although "mystery stories" is rather a misnomer. Only a few of these can be considered actual mysteries; most are crime fiction, loosely defined. In fact, the mystery stories are among the weakest in the collection. Standouts for me are by William Gay (a spooky story about a missing child and house that is never finished), Michael Hyde (a psychological exploration of an unhappy teenager who becomes fascinated by a murdered girl), Thomas Lynch (about a mortician recalling the l ...more
Nikol
Jan 08, 2016 Nikol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: рпи, nyc, goodwill
Though I wouldn't consider most of these mysteries, I enjoyed a large percentage of the collection. Of course, a few stand out from the rest but I didn't find myself wanting to skip through any stories, save for one. I'm glad I picked this up, but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for when I started it on Halloween night (probably should've started House of Leaves.

Either way, collections are these are great for discovering new authors to read.
Andre
Jan 04, 2008 Andre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Come December, I head for Vrooman's and look for the latest installment in the series. Every year's collection is put together by publisher Otto Penzler and new guest editor (Lawrence Block, in this case). Some years are better than others, but none are dogs. These are great books to bring along while traveling — because they're easier to put down.
Jackson Burnett
Sep 17, 2012 Jackson Burnett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
One of a tremendous series that features short mystery fiction from popular magazines and crime selections from the best literary journals, none of the Best American Mysteries stories anthologies have disappointed me. This one is my favorite, though. If you have a chance to look at this book, check out "Her Hollywood" by Michael Hydey. A very powerful story.
Dan
Jan 18, 2009 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short stories are wonderful because they are only a few pages long. I had this book on my bedstead and I would read one story a night before going to bed. The mysteries were always resolved before I turned out the lights.
Karen
May 08, 2012 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lost-interest
Some of the stories were good, but I didn't find enough to keep my interest, especially with another 60 or so books waiting to be read.
J.C.
Apr 14, 2011 J.C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I think this one might be the best collection I have read to date. I have no plans to read them all but I'm glad I read this one.
Michella
Michella marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Sweth
Sweth added it
May 08, 2016
Jim
Jim added it
Apr 30, 2016
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Eden June
Eden June marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Lam
Lam marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Peggy Heisner
Peggy Heisner rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Diane
Diane added it
Jan 19, 2016
Adam Conkling
Adam Conkling marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
zebroshyennie
zebroshyennie marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
Vladimir
Vladimir rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Sam Watson
Sam Watson marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Kristel Harlacher
Kristel Harlacher marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Corey
Corey marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2002.

From his web site:

I'm told every good author website needs a bio, so here's mine:

"Lawrence Block's novels range from the urban noir of Matthew Scudder (A Drop of the Hard Stuff) to the urbane effervescence of Bernie Rhodenbarr (The Burglar on the Prowl), while other characters include the globe-trotting insomniac Evan Tanne
More about Lawrence Block...

The Best American Mystery Stories (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 1997