The Best American Mystery Stories 2001

The Best American Mystery Stories 2001 (The Best American Mystery Stories)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Best-selling author Lawrence Block is one of the mystery genre's most prolific authors, with more than fifty books to his name, including Hit List, published in 2000. Block's selections for The Best American Mystery Stories 2001 include stories by such luminaries as Joyce Carol Oates, T. Jefferson Parker, Russell Banks, and Peter Robinson.
Audio, 1 page
Published October 10th 2001 by Mariner Books

Lou
The audiobook had less stories than the print version.
There are two really well written good stories in here. These two are also my first tasters of these two authors works, one being the recently passed away great writer William Gay and the other of the female writer Joyce Carol Oates. Definitely worth buying this collection just to read those two. Peter Robinson's' story is also good and a first of his to read. Lawrence block provides a nice introduction and explains that he selected these fro...more
Julie
A few were good, most were hard for me to see as mysteries.
Leslie
A good collection, although "mystery stories" is rather a misnomer. Only a few of these can be considered actual mysteries; most are crime fiction, loosely defined. In fact, the mystery stories are among the weakest in the collection. Standouts for me are by William Gay (a spooky story about a missing child and house that is never finished), Michael Hyde (a psychological exploration of an unhappy teenager who becomes fascinated by a murdered girl), Thomas Lynch (about a mortician recalling the l...more
Andre
Come December, I head for Vrooman's and look for the latest installment in the series. Every year's collection is put together by publisher Otto Penzler and new guest editor (Lawrence Block, in this case). Some years are better than others, but none are dogs. These are great books to bring along while traveling — because they're easier to put down.
Jackson Burnett
One of a tremendous series that features short mystery fiction from popular magazines and crime selections from the best literary journals, none of the Best American Mysteries stories anthologies have disappointed me. This one is my favorite, though. If you have a chance to look at this book, check out "Her Hollywood" by Michael Hydey. A very powerful story.
Dan
Short stories are wonderful because they are only a few pages long. I had this book on my bedstead and I would read one story a night before going to bed. The mysteries were always resolved before I turned out the lights.
Karen
Some of the stories were good, but I didn't find enough to keep my interest, especially with another 60 or so books waiting to be read.
J.C.
I think this one might be the best collection I have read to date. I have no plans to read them all but I'm glad I read this one.
Debra
Debra added it
Jun 11, 2014
Andrei Antipov
Andrei Antipov marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Sam Kucharski
Sam Kucharski marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Ryan
Ryan added it
Dec 14, 2013
Jennifer Dury
Jennifer Dury marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2002.

From his web site:

I'm told every good author website needs a bio, so here's mine:

"Lawrence Block's novels range from the urban noir of Matthew Scudder (A Drop of the Hard Stuff) to the urbane effervescence of Bernie Rhodenbarr (The Burglar on the Prowl), while other characters include the globe-trotting insomniac Evan Tanne...more
More about Lawrence Block...
The Sins of the Fathers (Matthew Scudder, #1) Eight Million Ways to Die (Matthew Scudder, #5) Hit Man (Keller, #1) When the Sacred Ginmill Closes (Matthew Scudder, #6) Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)