Start by marking “Prototype (Archetype #2)” as Want to Read:
Prototype (Archetype #2)

Prototype (Archetype #2)

3.77  ·  Rating Details ·  1,316 Ratings  ·  250 Reviews
The stunning debut that began with Archetype— and has readers buzzing—concludes in Prototype, when a woman’s dual pasts lock onto a collision course, threatening her present and future.

Emma looks forward to the day when she can let go of her past—both of them. After more than a year on the run, with clues to her parents’ whereabouts within her grasp, she may finally find
Published July 24th 2014 by Dutton

To ask other readers questions about Prototype, please sign up.

Pers Yes! At first I thought it was some aspect of the cloning that she was unable to use contractions but then I realised, it was just poor dialogue…moreYes! At first I thought it was some aspect of the cloning that she was unable to use contractions but then I realised, it was just poor dialogue writing. I listened to the books on audio so it was even more awkward.(less)

♥Rachel♥
Jul 22, 2014 ♥Rachel♥ rated it it was amazing

*****Spoilers if you haven’t read Archetype*****

Prototype picked up one year and a few months after the end of Archetype where Emma’s world comes crashing down after a shocking revelation, and instead of staying and watching the pity or mistrust in everyone’s eyes, she ran. The last year has been filled with the trying to find her parents, and staying out of Declan’s grasp. But this all changes when Declan ups the stakes and puts up a high payout for anyone who finds her. His desperate and tire
Jill
Jun 30, 2014 Jill rated it liked it

Please Note: This review contains spoilers for the previous book in the series

description

Emma Wade, ex-resistance fighter, wife of Noah Tucker, ex-wife of Declan Burke, mother to Adrienne. And clone. While Emma has been searching for her parents for a year, Noah has moved on to another relationship, and Declan hasn't given up on finding Emma.

I read this second book first, having skipped book #1, relying on only reviews and synopses. By doing this I did miss out on part of Emma's journey, and I th
Didi
Excellent finish to a gripping series. There was plenty of action, twists and turns, new developments. I think the topic at hand--cloning--is quite intriguing. The set up and execution of this topic was done perfectly. Capturing the angst and confusion Emma went through in accepting herself was palpable. She grew a lot in this book and really came into herself.

I loved Noah and his incredible support of Emma. They were perfect for each other and I'm glad that they both surpassed expectations and
Tabitha (Pabkins)
Prototype is the exciting conclusion to the duology that started with Archetype a magnificent futuristic dystopian, science fiction novel with a healthy dose of romance. In a future where most women are infertile, women are treated as property and raised in training centers where they are taught their place in society…at the bottom. But the whole world doesn’t think this way, there are countries where women still roam free and it seems what would be the United States to us has a split ...more
Rose
Quick review for a quick, enthralling read. I thought this was just as strong as "Archetype". If there's something to say in writing a satisfying conclusion to a duology, I thought this book did a fine job. I couldn't help but feel like once I put the book down, it seemed as if all the threads that were established in the first book were tied nicely by the conclusion of this tale. It throws quite a few curveballs and heart-pounding events into the mix as well.

"Prototype" picks up around the tim
Joy (joyous reads)
What am I going to do for the rest of my life now? *sobs* Love x infinity.
Kylara Jensen
Have you ever read a book you didn't want to, a book you had no intention of finishing, then you read it all in one night? This book is the literary equivalent of a train wreck. Or maybe a car accident, because train wreck has connotatins of it being awful, when really I mean I couldn't look away.

Spoilers for the first book, Archetype, below.

I don't know why I was so hesitant to read this, because I liked the first book kind of, but I really didn't want to read this book. i didn't want to just
Nancy
Feb 26, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing
I devoured the first book and received an ARC yesterday for this book. I loved this story. Both books. Can't say much without it being a spoiler so I'll say that I felt unsettled and a little guilty when Emma was tricked by someone else and taken against her will to a place she really did not ever want to go. She arrived and started to fight and it was time for my husband and I to go to the gym. Emma stayed captive that entire hour I was gone. And it really bothered me. I needed to get home.

Char
Kira Decker
Nov 26, 2013 Kira Decker rated it it was amazing
A fantastic follow up to Archetype. The story left me breathless and wanting more with each page turn. Action, Hot Romance (Noah is yummy) and some great twists that had me go "Whoa!" All I can say is..."No Words"
Rashika (is tired)
I am more than a little disappointed. :(

It's not that I didn't enjoy this book, I absolutely did but for me, it doesn't even begin to measure up to the awesomeness that was Archetype
Kelly Hager
Jan 18, 2014 Kelly Hager rated it it was amazing
I can't even adequately express how much I loved this book and its predecessor, Archetype. And I am very, very sad that the series is only two books, because I will miss Emma and Noah very, very much.

I read these two books almost back to back (thank you, Penguin!) and I recommend that very highly. It was so fantastic to see and be able to really appreciate the growth of Emma's character.

She went from a timid person to an actual warrior. (The timidity is understandable, because she had no memorie
mejmi
Aug 06, 2016 mejmi marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2014

How am I supposed to wait until July?!!

Expected publication: July 24th 2014
Christal

See this review and others like it at Badass Book Reviews!

Warning: This review may contain spoilers for the first book in this series, Archetype.

Prototype was an amazing sequel and I loved how it wrapped up everything in the Archetype duology. There were some very surprising aspects in this entry, some I saw coming and some I was completely blindsided by. I loved the action, the romance, the science, and the characters. M.D. Waters has written a phenomenal set of books and I highly rec
Heidi
Jun 02, 2015 Heidi rated it liked it
Three and a half stars: A sequel that doesn't quite measure up to the brilliance of its predecessor.

After the terrifying and shocking struggle Emma endured to gain her freedom, Emma is making her way through dusty Mexico. She's trying to track down a lead that might help her find her long lost parents. When Emma thinks she might finally have the answer, her hopes are dashed, another dead end. Then things get far worse when her ex husband decides to broadcast a message to the world asking for he
Krys

Archetype was among my favourite books of 2013. It was one of those books that I read very early and then had to wait to be able to put it into people’s hands. Whenever someone asked me to recommend a thrilling book I told them to watch for Archetype in February 2014. I would tell them how absorbing it was and that I couldn’t put it down. And here I am, months later, simply dazzled by the follow-up book, Prototype, which I was fortunate enough to acquire early.

Dazzled, I say, because it’s a trem
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
Jul 24, 2014 Sarah (Workaday Reads) rated it really liked it
A very exciting and thrilling conclusion to the duology, this book was quite different from the first. While the first book focused mostly on Emma and her amnesia, this book focused more on Emma’s relationship with Noah, and her fight against Declan.

Picking up shortly after the first book ended, this one started with a heart-pounding action scene. The story continued with almost nonstop action until the very end. It made for a very quick and adrenaline filled read. While the story was exciting,
Jacqueline
Jul 31, 2014 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sci Fi Romance Lovers
Solid follow up to the first book. I would characterize these two books and the 1.5 novella as solid Science Fiction Romance. Which is great because I love both sci fi and romance. The writing style was good, use of English, including imagery and good tense choice for the story. The characterization was great, the emotions and reactions realistic and the world building interesting.

I don't want to give anything away so I'll just say if you like good sci fi romance you need to read this.
Nadine
Oct 22, 2015 Nadine rated it really liked it
Great conclusion to the story. Emma is a very different character from the first book, which makes her journey in Prototype all the more enjoyable. The only issue I had with this duology is the lack of world building. I wish there was more to really ground the story.

Overall, this is a fantastic duology that you should not hesitate to read!
Christina Elle
Oct 25, 2013 Christina Elle rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first! Awesome end to the series. I can't wait to see what other stories this author has in store for us. And for the record, I love Noah. His one-liners had me laughing, gasping and tearing up. Well done, Ms. Waters. Well done.
Lindsey
Oct 02, 2014 Lindsey rated it it was ok
It was ... okay. Not as interesting as book 1 for sure. Love story was a bit saccharine.

The whole woman defined by motherhood thing was kind of creepy. And I don't think the author disagrees with this narrow sentiment, which is even creepier.

2.5 stars.
Lauren
Feb 08, 2014 Lauren added it
Such a fantastic duet! Though I can say very little about this book until closer to release. The triangle is no more. Thankfully. Lots more Emma and her guy and lots of things. Great questions in this series, but hard to discuss without spoilers. Review to come.
Jill
Aug 14, 2014 Jill rated it liked it
Note: There are spoilers for Archetype, Book One of this two-book series, but no spoilers for this book, which is the second and final book of the series.

Archetype beings with Emma Burke waking up in a hospital with no idea who she is or what happened in the accident that took away her memories. Her handsome and rich husband, Declan, works patiently with her to help her remember, and doesn’t push her to resume her role as his wife. But gradually, being a wife to Declan is what Emma wants for he
Emily
Sigh. I really thought that this was building to something potentially cool, but that you couldn't see it behind Emma's slow journey out of amnesia in the first book, but it turns out that the thing obscured by the long amnesia plot was in fact really weak writing. There is just so, so much wrong here that wasn't quite so troublesome in Archetype.

For instance, why is Emma 2.0 still speaking without contractions? It was an interesting affectation in the first book, but for goodness sake, she's n
Denise Targaryen
Sep 22, 2014 Denise Targaryen rated it it was amazing
Review can also be found on my blog.

This was an amazing follow-up to Archetype. I loved every (ok one part I did not) minute of reading this book. Waters pretty much gave me everything I wanted in this book, and a few things I did not know I wanted (Leigh and Miles) until she gave them to me.

I just love Emma. There is not a single thing about her that I dislike. She is an imperfect character struggling to find her place in a world where she is not even considered human. She makes mistakes, some
Megan
Jun 09, 2014 Megan rated it liked it
[Disclaimer: I won a copy of this book in the Goodreads First Reads giveaways.]

This book was like a hell of a lot better than the first one. It still had its problems, but overall the story was better, and the action a lot better too. It wrapped up very neatly (and I mean, pretty much every loose end is tied up), which is almost always a plus for me (I hate loose ends, especially at the end of a series), although maybe a little too neatly? Not sure yet.

Again though, the robot-like speech pattern
Kristine
Jul 10, 2014 Kristine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Original review found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

I received an advanced readers copy of this book from the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Prototype is the sequel and conclusion to the story that begins in Archetype. I was fortunate enough to read and review Archetype earlier this year and was very pleasantly surprised by it. I loved it and was glued to the pages. It left off with many loose ends and things unresolved so I was more than anxious
Victoria
Sep 13, 2016 Victoria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, edelweiss
Stunning! Having just finished the novel and still riding the sweet high of this exhilarating read the only thing I can say is that it is a must read for any sci-fi/dystopian/romance fans. The writing is great, the story – exciting, and the characters are complex and interesting.

A year after the events of Archetype, Emma is once again on the run: alone, hunted by ghosts of past and present she is determined to find her place in this sinister world. Except her luck seems to be running out each ti
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
An Advanced Reader Copy was provided by the publisher for review. Quotes pulled from the ARC may be incorrect and may be subject to change.

After that crazy ending in Archetype, I knew I had to read this as soon as I can. It was too much of a cliffhanger and lucky for us Penguin had the ARCs all ready for another blog tour.

I love how different Emma is in this one. She was always so vulnerable in Archetype and became super submissive. As most authors do, they go through huge character arcs, and Em
Amanda
Jul 31, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it
First impression: "One of the most exciting thrillers I have ever read. I simply couldn't put this down. Can it be a movie already?!"

I read this back to back with the first in the series, Archetype. I couldn’t believe it was a debut – it’s incredibly well-written, thrilling, and “unputdownable.”

Emma has left her “family” – the love of her life Noah, and her “daughter” (hard to explain, but boy, is the biological process interesting!) to find her parents, who she believes are rebels on the run. H
Steph Furlan
Jul 15, 2014 Steph Furlan rated it liked it
Jumping back into Emma’s story, readers go from Archetype and onto the second and final instalment, Prototype. After a year of running trying to find her parents, she finds sanctuary and safety with the Resistance. She hopes to build a life of her own there, but struggles confronting the man she loves, Noah Tucker, who has moved on and is raising their daughter with another woman. She is constantly reminded of her past, the one that wasn’t entirely her own and the one she lived, and what she is. ...more
  • The Collection (The Registry, #2)
  • Cease and Desist (The IMA, #4)
  • Carrier (The Line, #1)
  • Daunting Days of Winter (The Kyle Tait Series)
  • Mother Before Wife (The Compound, #2)
  • The Ophelia Prophecy
  • The Fly House
  • Embers of Starlight
  • City of the Lost: Part Five
  • Symbiont (Parasitology, #2)
  • The Farm
  • Alternate Hilarities
  • Fury (The Cure, #1)
  • Honor's Knight (Paradox #2)
  • Al-Thar
  • Red Delicious (Siobhan Quinn, #2)
  • The Candle Room
  • Event Horizon (The Perseid Collapse, #2)
M.D. WATERS lives with her family in Maryland. When she isn't snuggling with contractions, abusing her muse, or random dancing, she writes science fiction thrillers for Dutton Books. Her first novel, ARCHETYPE, was nominated for a RT Reviewers' Choice award, on the Texas Library Association's 2015 Lariat Reading List, listed on Popsugar.com's The Best Books of 2014, and voted "Best Sex" by the ...more
More about M.D. Waters...

Archetype (2 books)
  • Archetype (Archetype, #1)

“I am his entire universe, and he is every life I have ever lived.” 4 likes