Start by marking “No Safe House (No Time For Goodbye, #2)” as Want to Read:
No Safe House (No Time For Goodbye, #2)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

No Safe House (No Time For Goodbye #2)

3.68  ·  Rating Details ·  4,031 Ratings  ·  525 Reviews
#1 international bestselling author Linwood Barclay delivers an electrifying novel of suspense in which a family’s troubled past is about to return in more ways than one. And this time, they may not be able to escape.…

Seven years ago, Terry Archer and his family experienced a horrific ordeal that nearly cost them their lives. Today, the echoes of that fateful night are s
Published August 5th 2014 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about No Safe House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Safe House

Carmen
Mar 28, 2016 Carmen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Thriller fans
I don't know where I got the idea that once you've come through a very dark time, after you've confronted the worst possible demons and defeated them, that everything's going to be just fine.

Doesn't work that way.

This book was really good! Way better than No Time for Goodbye. This is a direct sequel to No Time for Goodbye, taking place 6 years later.

I rated No Time for Goodbye three stars. This book, the sequel, was definitely superior. I think a big part of this is that after reading No Time fo
Zoeytron
Mar 20, 2014 Zoeytron rated it liked it
This is the first novel I have read by this author and he certainly knows how to keep the reader turning the pages. The writing is crisp and clean, nothing flowery here, nor should there be in this type of thriller.

The bad guys are thugs, some of them are 'dumb as shoes'. One of them has 'a wife who had a face that would make a Pamplona bull turn around and go back'. He calls her Jabba the Hutt, but not to her, um, face. He's not a complete idiot.

The story begins with a bad decision made by four
Ben
Aug 14, 2014 Ben rated it did not like it
Very disappointing. I have read a few of Mr. Barclay's books , including the one that is the prequel to this one NoTime to Say Goodbye, and I thought this book was poorly conceived and carried through. IMO, the book was neither thrilling nor exciting at all, a big fault in a thriller, to say the least.
Most of the characters from the earlier book are here, older but not wiser, not having learned much ( as the father character regretfully notes) from previous troubles; that includes the career cr
Tami Carpel
Aug 23, 2014 Tami Carpel rated it it was ok
I didn't really like the sequel to No Time For Goodbye. I didn't like the storyline (and the side stories) at all or the way it carried on throughout the book and the way it ended. It seemed to drag on and for me there were really no shockers or surprises. I was disappointed with this book and wished that Linwood Barclay would have stopped with the Archer family at No Time For Goodbye.
Robert James
Aug 20, 2014 Robert James rated it it was ok
I'm probably very much in the minority but I thought this was a swing and miss. There is a plot storyline that is introduced and doesn't go anywhere, There was a plot point that must have been missed by the author and his editor that bothered me for the balance of the book. I thought this book is an example of a very talented author just going through the motions. I still love this author's work and will continue to read him. However this is one that could be skipped.
Cheryl
Mar 29, 2014 Cheryl rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
I received this as an advanced reader's copy. I was thrilleld because Barclay has become one of my favorite authors.

Unfortunately, this book was a bit of a disappointment.

The book features the same characters from "No Time For Goodbye" (His best! Read it if you haven't already! 5 stars!) So I thought wow, this will be awesome, and then I started reading.

The first half is slow. The author usually conveys an intriguing mystery (disappearances, accidents) that the main character unravels clues abou
Pat Steinkuehler
Aug 10, 2014 Pat Steinkuehler rated it did not like it
I ordinarily like this author but i am on page 75 of this book and am struggling to continue. I do not like any of the characters, the story-line is very disjointed. Fortunately, i have back-up reading material. So I think this book goes back to the library today for some other Barclay fan. Good luck!!
Rebecca McNutt
Sep 23, 2016 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it
No Safe House was well-written and riveting for the most part. Despite being slow-paced every so often, it's still very thrilling and suspenseful.
Ehbooklover
Aug 24, 2014 Ehbooklover rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. I had high hopes for this title when I heard that it was a sequel to "No Time for Goodbye" (which I consider to be one of the best thrillers that I've ever read). Unfortunately, in the end I was left underwhelmed by this book. The one dimensional and unlikeable characters and an unrealistic and convoluted plot made for a disappointing read by an author I used to consider a safe bet.
Michele Coleman
Dec 30, 2013 Michele Coleman rated it really liked it
I was fortunate to be able to download a preview copy of Barclay's newest novel No Safe House. It goes back to the characters from his first book No Time For Goodbye. While it brings back Terry and Cynthia the story itself is a standalone. As always Barclay writes a first class thriller that will keep you up past bedtime. A page turner !
Florence Csage
Aug 17, 2014 Florence Csage rated it it was ok
Very disappointed in this book. The plot was disjointed and the characters were not believable--too many dead bodies for no reason! I have enjoyed other books by this author and couldn't help wondering if Mr. Barclay really wrote this one!
Karen
Oct 16, 2014 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No Time for Goodbye was my very first Linwood Barclay book back in 2008 and I loved it – so much so that I have read every single book of his ever since. No Safe House catches up the Archer family, 7 years later and I couldn’t wait to read it.

You don’t need to have read No Time for Goodbye as there is enough back story here to give you the gist of the previous story without going into too much detail, however I would recommend that you do read it as not only is it such a good book, but you get t
Matt
Nov 01, 2014 Matt rated it really liked it
Barclay's latest thriller, sure to captivate the reader, reintroduces the Archer family: Terry, Cynthia, and Grace, last seen in the nail-biting NO TIME FOR GOODBYE. During a time of familial fragility, Terry is left to care for Grace all on his own. After breaking curfew and being out with boy Terry deems a bad apple, Grace finds herself in more trouble than she hoped to find on this summer evening. After she assists with a break and enter that goes seriously awry, a struggle ensues and a gun ...more
Momof3-in an Ash and Cael sandwich
I won this through Goodreads First Reads.
It took me a while to get through, I had some other reading commitments and then I had to get the first one as I hadn't realized at first that this was a sequel.
No Safe House-3 stars. I liked this significantly less than the first one.
Let me explain though, its not the writing, I love the writing. I love Terry's perspective the most. I like a good mystery, the changing povs, the way things are unfolding before me but I can't quite fit it together.
But man
Lynn
Jul 15, 2014 Lynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
No safe house is a great title for this follow on to No time for goodbye.

Seven years after the Archer family's ordeal, we find that Cynthia is personally battling her demons on a daily basis to the detriment of her relationship with Terry her husband and daughter, Grace. Her overprotective handling of the family has finally lead to her moving out to gain damage control and hopefully give some perspective on her paranoia.

Grace, who was too young to remember the original ordeal, is now a rebelliou
Robert Smith
Linwood Barclay and Harlan Coben have similar sorts story lines and a similar style. I'd say if you like one you'll like the other.

I've tended to prefer Barclay over Coben on the basis that the former requires a little less suspension of disbelief. With this one however I'm no longer so sure about that.

Not wishing to spoil the book for anyone I'll just say that right from the start the basic plot strains credulity as does much of the subsequent 'incident'.

I would also highly recommend reading or
Niki
Apr 03, 2014 Niki rated it really liked it
This was the first book I've won from Goodreads and also the first I've read from Linwood Barclay. The first chapter drew me in and I couldn't put it down. The end definitely left me wishing there was more. I will be reading more from this author in the future.
Kelly
This is a difficult review to write for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I really wanted to like it, but instead I feel as deflated as a recently emptied urostomy bag. There was so much going on that it should have been an epic thriller, but look a bit more closely and you find that what you are reading isn't as well-formed as first thought.

I remember giving the first Archer book No Time for Goodbye a fairly negative review because of the lack of emotional impact that the book had - Terry being t
Naomi
Jan 23, 2016 Naomi rated it liked it
Read my full review: http://bit.ly/1ONFn0Q

My opinion: I must say that I have very mixed feelings regarding this book. I love this author but feel that the span of time between books in the series was too far. I had given the first book in this series 5 stars, but found that I had to spend too much time remembering events and dynamics between characters than on the story itself.

As in his typical style, character and plot development is superb. I simply wish that this book would have been publishe
Trish at Between My Lines
This review was originally posted on Between My Lines

I’m a huge fan of Linwood Barclay and this book catches up with the characters of No Time For Goodbye seven years later. I loved that book and couldn’t wait to see what fate had in store for this unlucky family next!

First Line of No Safe House by Linwood Barclay:
“Richard Bradley had never thought of himself as a violent man, but right now he was ready to kill someone.”
My Thoughts on No Safe House by Linwood Barclay:
First off I think you sho
Luanne Ollivier
Aug 18, 2014 Luanne Ollivier rated it really liked it
Linwood Barclay's latest novel, No Safe House, has been sitting on my kitchen table looking at me for over a week now. I resisted - knowing that I had some vacation time coming and I would binge read it until I literally couldn't keep my eyes open. I did - and it was worth it!

Barclay usually writes one off suspense novels, but this latest is a follow up to 2008's No Time For Goodbye.

Barclay grabs the reader from the get go with a prologue that just sets the breakneck pace for the rest of the
Paul Pessolano
Oct 24, 2014 Paul Pessolano rated it really liked it
“No Safe House” by Linwood Barclay, published by New American Library.

Category – Mystery/Thriller Publication Date – August 05, 2015

I would certainly recommend that the reader should have read or read “No Time for Goodbye” before reading “No Safe House”. The reason for this is that “No Safe House” is a sequel and a very good one if I may say so. I also highly recommend “No Time for Goodbye”, where a young girl comes home, goes to sleep a wakes up in the morning to find her entire family missing.
Siobhan
Sep 14, 2015 Siobhan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I jumped on the Linwood Barclay bandwagon quite late, if I’m honest. I picked up one of his books when it was on offer, only to realise I needed to read more and raided a family member’s collection. It was a good week when I worked through her Barclay books (even if she only had a handful for me to read). So when this one came out, a second story for the Archer family, I had to give it a read.

I’m going to be honest by saying I didn’t enjoy this one as much as I did the first Archer book. It took
I was provided with an advanced reading copy of this book by Random House Publishers in exchange for my honest review.

"No Safe House" picks up the story Barclay started in his book, "No Time for Good-bye". It's been seven years since Cynthia Archer learned the truth behind her family's mysterious disappearance when she was a teenager. When the sequel opens, Cynthia is struggling to parent her daughter, Grace, and makes the decision to live apart from Terry and Grace in order to regain her equili
Kim
Aug 03, 2014 Kim rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Suspense, Mysteries, Thrillers
I was lucky to win this in a Goodreads giveaway contest because it was quite entertaining. The story starts with a brief synopsis of a horrific ordeal Terry Archer and his family lived through seven years previously. It then segues into their teenage daughter Grace making a foolish decision that puts all their lives in danger once again. The story immediately sucked me in and I didn't even realize it was a sequel at first. It was so smoothly written there was no confusion. The characters were a ...more
Eadie
Feb 26, 2016 Eadie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 500-up-to-date
Linwood Barclay is moving up very high on my list of favorite authors. I thoroughly enjoyed this visit back with the main characters from No Time For Goodbye seven years after the last book. Grace, the Archer's daughter, has reached teenage years and is becoming a real handful for her parents. Payback to Vince for saving Cynthia and Grace's lives turns out to be very costly for Terry. The plot makes for a wild ride with lots of twists and turns which makes the book unputdownable. The dialogue ...more
Pam
Aug 23, 2014 Pam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars. I didn't like it, and I was disappointed because I liked No Time For Goodbye, the first book. I am giving the extra .5 because I do like the character Terry Archer and previous Linwood Barclay books. I just didn't like this storyline, how it was put together, how it dragged on, and that there was nothing shocking or surprising. I agree with my sis who read it with me-"... (I) wished that Linwood Barclay would have stopped with the Archer family at No Time For Goodbye."
Johanna
Sep 05, 2014 Johanna rated it it was ok
Ugh. I'm a big Linwood Barclay fan. I remember loving his Toronto Star columns way way back. I've read all of his crime thrillers and recommend them to others.

But this was a clunker. Lifeless characters dragged along by a groaningly contrived plot. Sorry. I'll still read the next one!
Pam
Aug 17, 2014 Pam rated it it was ok
I have read all of Barclay's books. This one is not a thriller as the jacket says--not sure I would call it a mystery. I was longer than others and I really had to force myself to finish it. The characters and storyline were not up to his regular par.
Connie53
Apr 07, 2015 Connie53 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
Ik kan me niet voorstellen dat sommigen dit een slecht boek vinden, maar ze zijn er. Ik vond het een geweldig spannend boek. Bijna in een ruk uitgelezen. Het zit misschien wat rommelig in elkaar op het eerste gezicht maar het wordt netjes afgerond met alle eindjes aan elkaar.
Oakville Reads: * Questions for Linwood Barclay 40 33 Jul 01, 2015 02:06PM
Oakville Reads: Question #4: The Mysterious "it" 8 15 Jun 29, 2015 03:28PM
Oakville Reads: Question #3: Father-Daughter Relationships 5 17 Jun 22, 2015 11:32AM
Oakville Reads: Question #2: Stand alone or Sequel? 11 21 Jun 22, 2015 11:27AM
  • Murder Takes Time
  • Red Wolf (Annika Bengtzon, #5)
  • Poslednje proleće u Parizu
  • Dead Man's Gift: Yesterday (part 1)
  • Stranglehold (Detective Greene, #4)
  • The Colour of Death
  • Long Reach (Eddie Savage, #1)
  • WISHBONE...Be Careful What You Wish For
  • Ruin Falls
  • Buckingham Palace Blues (Inspector Carlyle #3)
  • Tell No Lies
  • El paciente
  • Stolen
  • Punishment
  • Das Dorf der Mörder
  • La décima sinfonía
Linwood Barclay is the #1 internationally bestselling author of thirteen novels, including Trust Your Eyes, A Tap on the Window, No Time for Goodbye and that novel's followup, No Safe House.
This summer, his thriller Broken Promise, the first of three linked novels about his fictional upstate New York town Promise Falls, will be released. Book two will come nine months later, and another nine month
More about Linwood Barclay...

No Time For Goodbye (2 books)
  • No Time for Goodbye (No Time For Goodbye #1)

“who packs it up in a big cargo container” 0 likes