Start by marking “I Heart My Little A-Holes” as Want to Read:
I Heart My Little A-Holes

Read Excerpt

I Heart My Little A-Holes

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,586 Ratings  ·  435 Reviews
When your son wakes you up at 3:00 A.M. because he wants to watch Caillou, he’s an a-hole. When your daughter outlines every corner of your living room with a purple crayon, she’s an a-hole. When your rug rats purposely decorate the kitchen ceiling with their smoothies, they’re a-holes. So it’s only natural to want to kill them sometimes. Of course you can’t because you’d ...more
Published October 22nd 2013 by Baby Sideburns (first published October 20th 2013)

Gail
Feb 10, 2014 Gail rated it did not like it
(NOTE: I gave this book two stars on Amazon, and I think it deserves a two out of five - but Goodreads insists on assigning one star the "did not like it" description and two stars the "it was ok" description; since I did not like it, my Goodreads hands are tied.)

Karen Alpert (a.k.a., Baby Sideburns) cobbles together more than a dozen posts and short quips (probably originally created for Facebook) from her popular blog in this highly disappointing compilation-style mommy memoir. Jill Smokler’s
Katie
May 11, 2014 Katie rated it did not like it
For full disclosure; I only read the sample but I feel that was enough. There are several Mommy bloggers who have written books and in my opinion they could have all been written by the same person. It is all the same material and schtick. They think they are being controversial and/or funnier by adding more swear words or negative comments about their children. It insults the readers intelligence to imply that just by adding the word fuck, I will then think it's funny. Um no. Write something or ...more
Lauren
Oct 22, 2013 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
I laughed so many times while reading this book. I want the author to be my new best friend. I doubt she needs one though, judging by the length of the list of people she thanks at the end.
Jenna
Dec 23, 2013 Jenna rated it it was ok
I was really expecting this to be better. I follow her on Facebook and find her hilarious and was just disappointed with the book. It was comical, to a point, but how many times is it really necessary to talk about poop and vajayjays?? And the the lists that were never comp!eyed... But, maybe she'll digress. Thats what she spent most of the book doing.

Maybe I would have found it more funny if I was in the throes of diapers and juggling a new born and toddler. I think she should just stick to Fa
Lisa
I can see how the blog on which this book is based is probably really funny, but collecting the various blog posts about Alpert's experiences as a mother to young children into a book just didn't work for me. Certainly, there were some laugh-out-loud moments. But, overall, it was too much of the same. And, for me, musings along the lines of, 'How do you spell that word?' are just fine in a blog, but have no place in a book.

Anyway, my husband bought this as a gift, so I feel bad disliking it, bu
Andria
Oct 23, 2013 Andria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh man, this book it like a breath of fresh air! There are so many times where I'm afraid that I'm alone in my thinking...this book proves that I'm not! Baby Sideburns is hilarious and crude and I loved every minute of this book. I laughed out loud many many times. Thank you Karen for having the balls to tell it like it is no matter how disgusting, horrifying or mortifying it is! You have a forever fan in me.
Alissa Patrick
Jul 29, 2015 Alissa Patrick rated it it was amazing
I have a 2 yr old and one on the way and this book is spot on. It made me crack up so many times! ! As a mother whose excited but scared to add on another child I needed this book to make me laugh and remember that I'm not alone in this crazy world of Parenting.
Spring
Nov 21, 2013 Spring rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
Hilarious! This book is NOT for the too proper folks, can be a tad vulgar, but dang it was funny & real. If you need a break, a good laugh in the trenches of motherhood this book is for you!
Petra
Oct 23, 2014 Petra rated it did not like it

This book was a great disappointment.It is based on a bunch of posts from the author's blog, and while I can see that some of these posts might be funny individually, the book is a complete disaster.Seriously , my collage physics textbook was funnier than this.
It never even made me laugh once, she is trying waaaaaaaaay to hard to be funny, and then there is a constant spelling jokes which might be funny once but not a million times.
Also writing a top ten list but not completing it because she is
Andrienne
Jun 26, 2014 Andrienne rated it did not like it
There are certain kinds of funny - Funny but fun (Mean Girls), Funny but lame (some SNL shows), funny but serious (Colbert Report), funny but mean (Roasting an actor) and so on. This book manages to be all of it except the funy but fun. Yes, the author said that she loves her kids (of course she has to say it, otherwise, no-one will buy this book). I feel like it isn't possible to write a full book using children as the punch line. You just can't. As a parent, it's fun to read about mishaps in s ...more
Beth
Jun 24, 2014 Beth rated it it was ok
I skimmed most of the book as it was the same thing over and over in each section. Some things were funny, but I found it pretty vulgar and it was like reading a VERY LONG stand up routine or a skit that went too long on SNL.
I don't read blogs as I feel a better use of my time is to live my OWN life and actually TALK to friends, family, people vs. just reading stuff by strangers online....so that being said I have never read the authors popular blog or any blog for that matter.
I think she would
Ciara
this is another blog-to-book, & it shows. an awful lot of this book seemed to be lifted directly from the blog & published as-is, no editing whatsoever. including references to the fact that it was written to a blog, remarks about comments, etc. ordinarily i HATE this. but i will make an exception here because a) i'd never read the blog, so all the material was new to me, & b) it was legitimately funny. i actually laughed out loud several times, & i am not a laughing-out-loud-at- ...more
Kim Bongiorno
Oct 25, 2013 Kim Bongiorno rated it it was amazing
6 Reasons Why You Need to Buy I Heart My Little A-Holes Right Now:

1. When you were younger, you totally had a thing for the bad boys, the ones that felt dangerous and your parents didn't approve of. Now you're a respectable, tax-paying adult that can barely stay awake for the 10 O'Clock News. Karen fills that need for danger - but won't get you pregnant. She'll make you clutch your pearls and gasp in shock, then giggle 'til you tinkle in your granny panties. Reading her words is like telling you
D.B.
Nov 10, 2013 D.B. rated it it was amazing
I love this lady's approach to motherhood - raw, honest, and pee-your-pants funny, it serves as a not-so-gentle reminder that a sense of humor (not to mention a profanity laced internal monologue) is an essential survival skill when dealing with one's adorable little a-holes. I burned through it in a day and a half and shared vignettes with my mommy friends and co-workers, as well as sharing Baby Sideburns's Mother's Day wish list with hubby. I sooooooooo want the 'leave me the hell alone' coupo ...more
Kandice
I read this one a few months ago and I’m just getting around to reviewing it …

If Karen Alpert was a “momber” of a playgroup that my son and I belonged to, I’m sure we’d be friends. She’s really funny, laid back, and doesn’t give a rat’s a$$ what you think about her. I think a lot of moms could relate to her as well.

There is one thing that annoyed me. Alpert mentioned how she can’t stand moms who judge other moms. I agree with her on that one. However, her book is littered with backhanded commen
Ellen Kehs
May 10, 2016 Ellen Kehs rated it liked it
I'd give this book a 3.5. I really enjoyed it, found it humorous and definitely relatable, but there was so much bad language that got to be a little much at times.
♥ Amanda
Jan 08, 2015 ♥ Amanda rated it really liked it
Just what I needed after a looooonnnggg Christmas break. It's like finding a BFF that just GETS you, while reassuring you that the thoughts or words or actions you have as a parent are also shared with a whole lot of other moms. I'm not even sure which part was my favorite, but the Sister Wives chapter I definitely shared with some friends. I heart MY little a-holes even more, now that I know I'm not the only one that can't stop using the F word
Jules
Oct 21, 2013 Jules rated it it was amazing
hilarious, pee in your pants funny stories about motherhood. I was lucky enough to get an advanced copy and finished it within 24 hours. Karen has the guts to say what many of us think, and does it in such a way that you can't help but nod your head in agreement. And let's face it, all kids are a-holes at one time or another. My new go-to baby gift.
Cyndee
Sep 27, 2014 Cyndee rated it it was ok
I wanted to really like this book, but it feels like the author was trying waay too hard. It's a compilation of quick stories and posts from the author's blog Baby Sideburns. She writes about the sucky parts of a being a parent, but in a funny way. However, it seemed like the author thought she was much more funny than she actually is and kept mentioning how the book was so funny that it would make the reader pee themselves (I never came close to laughing out loud, let alone entering the laugh s ...more
Colleen Mattatall
Nov 06, 2013 Colleen Mattatall rated it really liked it
She's crude, foul language and a mother of two. As a crude, foul languaged mother of two I find her hysterical. She swears a lot but as she puts it, she writes a lot of swears because she can't say them anymore. I find her to be hysterical and horrifying all at the same time- kind of like motherhood of two...
Nov 13, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I laughed through most of this book. It is so great to know I am not the only crazy mom out there! I think this should be required reading for all moms!!!
April
Nov 09, 2013 April rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
Freaking hilarious compilation of blogs from Baby Sideburns. I laughed so hard, I had the ugly laugh/cry face on an airplane. Definitely recommend.
Brittany
Nov 04, 2013 Brittany rated it it was amazing
I definitely laughed A LOT while reading this book! I really hope Baby Sideburns writes another book...asap ;)
Oct 26, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I'd give it more stars if I could. She says all the things I think but don't have the cojones to say!
Bethany Zimp
May 14, 2014 Bethany Zimp rated it really liked it
Such a creative book with very accurate details about parenting. Prior to this book I hadn't read the author's blog, but I'm going to start to now. My husband loved the title and started/finished it before I did - he also greatly enjoyed the author's unique commentary on child-rearing. There were multiple (actual) laugh out loud moments during the book, which I rarely experience with books.

Disclaimer - my friend received this as a Goodreads Giveaway and was kind enough to share with me. Thanks @
Joseph Pacey
Feb 02, 2015 Joseph Pacey rated it did not like it
I try to read the same books my wife reads so that we have a few more common experiences from which to draw on in our daily lives together. As a consequence, I've read a lot of books definitely aimed for women. I don't usually mind. Heck, if a billion women like the book, it's probably a good book... whether you've got that Y chromosome or not. This one... I will say, is probably for the ladies only. And specifically for the ladies with children. In my wife's defense, she told me that ahead of t ...more
Kelli
Oct 22, 2013 Kelli rated it it was amazing
I've been following Karen's blog, Baby Sideburns, for a few months now and love her witty humor. She never fails to make me laugh! I bought her book the day it was released and it was even better than reading her blog.

There was little repetition from her blog; by that I mean the book was almost all new material. I've read a couple of books written by bloggers and I'm always disappointed when their books contain a lot of old blog posts.

There are some funny illustrations, but my favorite additi
Brooke
Nov 02, 2013 Brooke rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
There's only one word that can adequately describe this book. HIGH-FUCKING-LARIOUS!!! Yes, that's a real word!

A friend of mine loaned the Kindle version of this book to me and now I want to shout from the mountaintops (all of them) that EVERYONE should read this book. I laughed SO fucking hard all throughout this book that my abs and face are SORE now!!! Thanks for the unintentional workout, though, Ms. Alpert!

This book is a somewhat sarcastic, albeit accurate, accounting of what it's like to b
Amy
Jan 26, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it
This book is honest. Karen Alpert has the courage to say what all mothers have thought. Being a mom is tough. Sometimes it is just too much for us to take. But the author encourages us by assuring us we aren't alone in our misery. With a lot of laughs and lowering our crazy expectations we can make it work and maybe even stay sane along the way. Read this book if you are experiencing any Mommy guilt. Trust me you will feel better. You aren't the only one...
Megan
May 18, 2014 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny, funny book! I laughed out loud several times. It was a quick, easy read. Do not let the title scare you off! Karen is the woman behind Baby Sideburns, a successful blog about parenting. She offers an honest, humorous glance into parenting that makes you aware you are not alone in your thoughts, and feelings about the crazy things kids do.

It was refreshingly real and I heart it!
  • Parenting: Illustrated with Crappy Pictures
  • I Just Want to Pee Alone: A Collection of Humorous Essays by Kick Ass Mom Bloggers
  • Afterbirth: Stories You Won't Read in a Parenting Magazine
  • Toddlers Are A**holes: It's Not Your Fault
  • Motherhood Comes Naturally (and Other Vicious Lies)
  • Confessions of the World's Best Father
  • Sippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay: And Other Things I Had to Learn as a New Mom
  • Sh*tty Mom: The Parenting Guide for the Rest of Us
  • Ketchup Is a Vegetable: And Other Lies Moms Tell Themselves
  • Baby Bumps: The Almost, Barely, Not-Quite-True Story of Pregnancy, Bed Rest and One Batshit Crazy Family
  • Six Ways to Keep the "Good" in Your Boy: Guiding Your Son from His Tweens to His Teens
  • The Three-Martini Playdate: A Practical Guide to Happy Parenting
  • I've Got the One-More-Washload Blues (For Better or For Worse, #1)
  • The Second Nine Months: One Woman Tells the Real Truth about Becoming a Mom. Finally.
  • Limbo: Blue-Collar Roots, White-Collar Dreams
  • Lost in Suburbia: a Momoir: How I Got Pregnant, Lost Myself, and Got My Cool Back in the New Jersey Suburbs
  • Dan Gets a Minivan: Life at the Intersection of Dude and Dad
  • Last Laughs: Animal Epitaphs

“I love when those annoyingly perfect moms brag that they ONLY give their kids all-natural shit. You know what’s all-natural? Poisonous berries and ’shrooms.” 3 likes
“Anyways, it made me think. Who the hell cares if Michael Phelps can swim across a pool at like warp speed? Or that some sixteen-year-old waif can spell the entire Chinese alphabet with a stupid ribbon on a stick above her head? You know who’s holding this world together and leaping buildings in a single bound every day? Moms, that’s who.” 2 likes