Start by marking “The Time Travel Megapack: 26 Modern and Classic Science Fiction Stories” as Want to Read:
The Time Travel Megapack: 26 Modern and Classic Science Fiction Stories

The Time Travel Megapack: 26 Modern and Classic Science Fiction Stories

Time travel is one of the staples of science fiction, right up there with aliens, space opera, and robots. Most science fiction authors have written at least one time travel story. This collection samples some of the best. TIME OUT, by Edward M. Lerner
THESE STONES WILL REMEMBER, by Reginald Bretnor
PROJECT MASTODON, by John Gregory Betancourt 12:01 P.M., by Richard A. Lup
Published June 7th 2013 by Wildside Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Time Travel Megapack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Time Travel Megapack

Bert
There's a few gems in here, both classics and newer stories. "These Stones Will Remember" has a haunting poignancy. "12:01 P.M" and "Time and Time Again" are both firsts in what are now very common time travel scenarios (The 'Groundhog Day' and the 'Peggy Sue'). "The Eternal Wall" is an odd one, but I like the dark ending. "Sweep Me to My Revenge!" is an amusing story involving Shakespeare and Marlowe.

The rest are mostly either forgettable or actively bad. "Armageddon -- 2419 A.D" was impressive
Bob Lee
Feb 27, 2014 Bob Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
If you're a sci-fi time travel fan, this book has 26 stories, some old, some new. For 99 cents, it will provide hours of entertainment. Some of the stories are entertaining and pretty good, but some I didn't like at all. The advantage of reading short stories is that you can put those behind you and move on to others.

I can't go through all 26 stories, but here are the first 4 to give you an idea:

1) TIME OUT, by Edward M. Lerner - you are an assistant to a mad scientist creating a time machine, a
France-Andrée
Difficult to judge because the stories are not the same calibre, I don't think there's any one star and there's maybe one or two 5 stars. The majority of stories were interesting some where more "sciency" than others, others were pure time travelling without explanation for how the travelling happens. I think all and all an interesting read for when a short is called for; I didn't read it all in one go, but sometimes with an anthology it is the best thing to do so not to confuse the different ...more
Jim Kratzok
This volume held an interesting selection of stories, a number of which were from the "Golden Age" of science fiction in the mid part of the 20th century. Some of these stories were rather dated but still readable. A few, I struggled with. Considering that I've been reading this stuff for almost 50 years there were remarkably few stories I've read before. All in all, the book was worth reading.

Duncan
Nov 17, 2013 Duncan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent collection of short stories all based around Time Travel. Some are truly excellent and thought-provoking. Some of them consider the possible effects of time travel in ways I'd never even considered before. The only let-down is the inclusion of a few "Feghoots" which pad out the book- a classic form, they're short shaggy dog stories that exist only to set up a terrible pun, and not truly Time Travel stories.
John
Apr 10, 2016 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Classic SF for cheap on kindle! These stories feel a bit dated, but most of them are quality. Skip "Armageddon--2419 A.D." (because it's boring, not because it's set in the future, as their Second Time Travel Megapack seems to suggest was the thrust of the critical feedback) and the rest of the collection is pretty much gold (well, except for the occasional awful pun).
John Welch
Nov 24, 2014 John Welch rated it liked it
Bit of a strange one this. Like most anthologies it is a mix of good and not-so-good. The difference here is that it includes classic (ie old) stories as well. Some of these seem so old that the science is virtually Victorian and poorly described. Having enjoyed the vast changes in SF over the last 50 years, it was not very pleasureable to read these poor offerings.
Bob
Oct 20, 2014 Bob rated it liked it
For $0.99, it's a bargain. However, there are probably 4-5 great stories in here, 15 or so that are poor, rambling, or mediocre at best, and probably 5 that are very short setups for puns. The first pun story made me laugh, but it got old really quick.

Still, for the price, it's really worth a read, and most of the good ones are near the start.
Eric Krause
Apr 10, 2015 Eric Krause rated it really liked it
Good mix of stories. Some were excellent, making me wish there was more to read, most were good, solid short stories, and a few (like what happens in most anthologies) didn't capture my attention, so I skipped them. All in all, I'd recommend this anthology to anyone interested in time travel and science fiction.
Suzan
Jun 05, 2016 Suzan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It took me forever to finish this. Many of the older stories frankly put me to sleep. There is one long novella from 1928 that must be of interest only to historians of the genre. But towards the end there were some interesting ideas. I just decided, since I'm on a time travel book, to get this onto my READ list.
William  Knight
Sep 07, 2014 William Knight rated it liked it
This book suffered a bit from typos due to a lack of editing. Most of the stories were good, with the exception of one that sprinkled in science concepts that were unexplained and mostly nonsense. Being an Asimov and Heinlein fan, I'm spoiled by well-researched science in my scifi books.

Worth the price but only because it was cheap.
Keeley Brooks
Feb 05, 2016 Keeley Brooks rated it it was ok
I had to force myself to persevere

Good gracious some of these were boring. Most of them were. A couple were entertaining. It was worth the dollar to two that I paid, but not much more.
Robin Houghton
Jan 07, 2015 Robin Houghton rated it liked it
Something for everyone in this wide assortment, a few I didn't enjoy, but the good ones more than make up for it, and for 39 pence, you can't complain. Some interesting concepts all different to each other. Though all old stories I expected to have read some of them previously but had not.
Jonathan
May 24, 2015 Jonathan rated it it was ok
The collection here isn't that great. The stories all seem like they are only part of a larger story with nothing really coming to a satisfying conclusion.
Malcolm R Massie
Apr 06, 2015 Malcolm R Massie rated it liked it
Good overall

Some of the stories tended to bog down and tended to drag down the overall collection. Recommended as a general collection but I wouldn't rush to buy it.
Tony Ryan
Aug 19, 2013 Tony Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some really good and fiendishly clever Time Travel short stories. A couple of duds, but it's only 34p on Kindle, so if you have just a passing interest in the genre, I recommend it highly.
Michael
Nov 25, 2014 Michael rated it liked it
a bunch of stories for a good price, some good, others ok but 2-3 amazing. worth a look to any sci fi fans
Dilowa Dilowa
Dec 21, 2014 Dilowa Dilowa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read three books, by this author that could not be found.
1. Grandpa?
2. Settlement
3. A matter of perspective
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2014
Zane Yates
Zane Yates rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2015
kenneth d. wade
kenneth d. wade rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Riki Solanen
Riki Solanen rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Karen Silver
Karen Silver rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2014
Marion
Marion rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2013
Shai Isenberg
Shai Isenberg rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2013
Debra Ryan
Debra Ryan rated it it was ok
Aug 01, 2016
Jocelyn Smyers
Jocelyn Smyers rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2014
Warren Peace
Warren Peace rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2015
Elliot Gershon
Elliot Gershon rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Eighth Science Fiction Megapack: 25 Modern and Classic Stories
  • The Robert Sheckley Megapack: 15 Classic Science Fiction Stories
  • The Mammoth Book of Time Travel SF
  • The Fredric Brown MEGAPACK ®: 33 Classic Science Fiction Stories
  • Out of Time - Five Tales of Time Travel
  • The Science Fiction Megapack: 25 Classic Science Fiction Stories
  • The Harry Harrison Megapack: 12 Classics of Science Fiction, including ROBOT JUSTICE, DEATHWORLD, and DEATHWORLD II
  • Year's Best SF 14
  • Cthulhu Mythos Writers Sampler 2013
  • The Sixth Science Fiction Megapack
  • The H. Beam Piper Megapack: 33 Classic Science Fiction Novels and Short Stories
  • The Fifth Science Fiction Megapack  (Science Fiction Megapack, #5)
  • Darwin's Bastards: Astounding Tales from Tomorrow
  • The Third Science Fiction Megapack: 26 Modern and Classic Science Fiction Tales
  • Timeshares
  • Berserker Kill (Berserker, #9)
  • Dark Matter
  • Some of the Best From Tor.com, 2013 Edition
I'm a physicist and computer scientist (among other things). After thirty years in industry, working at every level from individual technical contributor to senior vice president, I now write full-time. Mostly I write science fiction and techno-thrillers, now and again throwing in a straight science or technology article.
More about Edward M. Lerner...