Start by marking “The Impetuous Afflictions of Jonathan Wolfe (Troubles of Love #2)” as Want to Read:
The Impetuous Afflictions of Jonathan Wolfe (Troubles of Love #2)

The Impetuous Afflictions of Jonathan Wolfe (The Auspicious Troubles of Love #2)

Sequel to The Auspicious Troubles of Chance The Auspicious Troubles of Love: Book Two

Published November 8th 2013 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about The Impetuous Afflictions of Jonathan Wolfe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Impetuous Afflictions of Jonathan Wolfe

Ami

This review is brought to you by Ami, the party pooper. I'm just NOT as impressed with this story as other reviewers.

Here's the thing ... I know that Ms. Cochet takes creative license to this historical -- that it feels more like a gay utopia, where every single characters are gay, and they're all live quite happily in Hawthorne Manor, without having to really worry about the 'threat' of being queer in that period. I have no problem with that, actually.

What I have problem with is the
Anyta Sunday
Nov 10, 2013 Anyta Sunday rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
4.75

I remember reviewing the first book in the Trouble of Love series, and having to divide the book into three parts to explain what worked, what really worked, and what didn't quite. This time I think I can divide the story into halves.

The First Half:

Boy did this work. Oh, it really worked for me. There was great tension between Johnnie and Henry, and the scenes leading up to their finally connecting physically are just yummy. I LOVE sexual tension, and Ms Cochet writes this beautifully. I c
MareTara SLiTsReaD Reviews
The year is 1934. The array of cast is back at it again :)

Jacky and Chance *swoon*

Alexander and Bobby * I need this story* LIKE NOW ;)

And we meet the brats :)

This story is about

And its about:

Family
Love
Fighting for a future
Not letting your past define your future
Family is more than just blood
Strength
Weaknesses
Love
Family

Jonathan and Henry have loved each other for a long time but Johnnie’s fears and his past keep him from happiness.

Henry i
Lady*M

If you have read The Auspicious Troubles of Chance, then you remember Johnnie, one of the “brats” – protégés of Jacky Valentine and friends of Chance Irving. Eight years after the events in the first book, Jacky and Chance, Johnnie, Alexander and Bobby and Henry, a young doctor who saved Jacky’s life, live at Hawthorne Manor, where they provide home to the boys and young men who have been discarded for their sexuality – the new “brats”. The story is told in first person by Johnnie.

Let’
Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog

~ ~ ~

*4 Stars*

Nice
Sweet
Tension

First off, you just have to know that this book is written with some creative license regarding the situation and the period, 1934 England. Ms. Cochet has no problem putting you in the time frame, at all, but there may be some intentional bending of the rules to make a more connectable read.

I dearly enjoyed Johnnie and Henry’s story, but I have to say that Chance and "The Brat’s" steal the show here for me. In fact I was thrilled to find so much Chance and Jacky (se
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Jan 25, 2014 Barb ~rede-2-read~ rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Barb ~rede-2-read~ by: Kirsten
Delightfully devilish, or should I say devilishly delightful? That’s our hero in this tale. Jonathan Wolfe is one of the young men who served with Jacky and Chance in The Auspicious Troubles of Chance. Unlike Chance, Jonathan hasn’t moved on from his past. He uses his traumatic past as a shield against losing his heart completely to Dr. Henry Young, another former legionnaire from their unit. He acknowledges Henry’s love for him and he does indeed love Henry as well, but he refuses to allow a re ...more
Susan
May 24, 2014 Susan rated it liked it

So, I have to admit, much like with book 1, The Auspicious Troubles of Chance, there are so many things I could pick out in this story that should make me cringe. But, even more so than book 1, I'm...charmed by The Impetuous Afflictions of Jonathan Wolfe. And I'm hooked. And I'm kinda mad at myself for it. But mostly, I just adore these stories and have come to accept it. :)

It's a bit of a preposterous story line: a house for homeless gay kids in the 1930's run by a kind, rich, American
kasjo_peja
I read the first book in the series, so I knew not to expect an accurate historical romance. It's more of a fairytale. In some great English manor six queer men founded a family and provided a shelter for young boys who had suffered because of their sexuality. When the book begins we have 7 brats living in the manor.
The two MC are ones of the adults. They have loved each other for years, but their insecurities kept them apart. One kiss, performed as a dare, gets them finally acting on the attra
Shelby
I really enjoyed this story. I actually liked it better than the first book. These characters are flawed and learning how to deal with the pain they had forced on them as kids. It isn't always easy, they don't always know how to handle things in the best manner, but are constantly striving to be better. This was a lot of fun and the historical period was handled very nicely.

Sure there's a bit of unbelievability for how long Johnny and Henry have resisted each other, but I liked these two togeth
Lizzie
Feb 23, 2015 Lizzie rated it really liked it
A charming book! Unique and beautiful , set between the wars in rural Britain, the characters - a mixture of former Foreign legion men with PTSD - not that they know it as that, (need to know more about the WHY of that, Ms Chochet - you just hint, you tease) and damaged young men who they've adopted.
This tells the story of former Legionnaire, Johnny - damaged from his childhood; and Henry, the house doctor. It's beautifully set, the speech - very much written in the language of the day takes a b
Holly
Nov 09, 2013 Holly rated it it was amazing
I knew this would be a great novel and I wasn't disappointed. I adore Jacky, Chance, Johnnie, Henry, Bobby and Alexander and, of course, the brats. You really felt as if they were a family, bad times and all, they stuck together. I spent at least 80 percent of the book almost in tears so that by the time I was done my throat was sore from tension and I talked like a toad. I loved this book. Extremely excited for the next installment. Heck. I'm excited for the next one of her books. I purchased ...more
The Novel Approach Reviews
Nov 08, 2013 The Novel Approach Reviews rated it it was amazing
Jonathan Wolfe and Henry Young were introduced in Jacky and Chance’s story, but they take front and center billing in “Impetuous Afflictions”, older now and settled into the Manor, where they’ve helped to build a life and family for the boys whose pasts have left them with nowhere else to go, no one else to turn to, and have left scars that the men work so hard to help heal.

See the entire review at The Novel Approach: http://thenovelapproachreviews.com/20...
Lily
3.75 stars. Overall, this was an enjoyable and satisfying read, although I did miss the author's trademark humour which made her stories stand out yet was rather absent now. I liked how the romance was portrayed, the idealised universe, 'the brats' who were quite cute and diverse in their personalities, the occasionally funny contributions of Chance. Some thoughts and discussions were too repetitive and tiring, but I was glad to see an earned and credible happy ending.
Teresa
I enjoyed Johnny and Henry as well as all the myriad of other inhabitants of Hawthorn House. Much has happened since we last saw them at the end of book one. Although you would benefit from reading the first book, I feel this could be read as a standalone. It had been awhile since I had read it and I didn't feel lost.

This is definitely a character driven book. There is some plot and tension, but it really is about Johnny letting himself be loved.
Riina Y.T.
Oh, I absolutely adored the crap out of this!

Love the setting, the story flow and all that wit.

And Johnnie. Oh Johnnie!

What a wonderful and incredibly difficult guy! And that temper. *phew*

I think I'm in love with you.

I'd really enjoy revisiting Johnnie, Henry and the Brats. Oh and then there is Jacky and Chance of course. God, those guys are awesome! :)

I can't even begin expressing how much I love Chance *squee*
Java Jane
Nov 08, 2013 Java Jane rated it it was amazing
4.75 sweet and heartwarming. I loved revisiting these guys and meeting the new 'brats', especially Elliot and Aubrey. Johnnie and Henry were sweet, and the way Chance and Johnnie played off each other was a hoot! Loved it!
Allison
Jan 08, 2014 Allison rated it it was amazing
I love these men and these books, I hope that Ms. Cochet writes about all of them because I will certainly read them. Full review to follow.
LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
Nov 19, 2013 LiveYourLife BuyTheBook rated it really liked it
4 Stars
A "Live Your Life, Buy The Book" Review

It’s been a while since I read the first book in this series, The Auspicious Troubles of Chance, but I remember the MC’s love story well. I didn’t remember much about Johnnie besides his horrific past and Henry loving him from afar. Didn’t really matter as IMO this could be read as a stand alone with the understanding that the group of soldiers from the first book chose to set up a safe home for homosexual men and children who need a place to go. In
May 13, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: t1
The Impetuous Afflictions of Jonathan Wolfe is the second book in Charlie Cochet’s historical series about a group of men who met in the French Foreign Legion. It continues on in England with the original group plus some new additions to the cast of characters.

The second book could, I suppose, be read as a standalone as there is enough backstory provided that a reader would not be totally lost, but I highly recommend starting with book 1 The Auspicious Troubles of Chance.

Johnnie is the MC and fi
Jax
Feb 28, 2014 Jax rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical, series, 2-star
I've read 8 or 9 shorter works by Ms Cochet which I really enjoyed. So even though the first book in this series, The Auspicious Troubles of Chance, was my first meh read from her, I nevertheless went on to book two. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy this one because of three problems:

1) Inconsistencies: Henry doesn't care that Johnnie isn't wealthy, but Glen is using Johnnie for his money. So is he broke or not? And where does his money come from? Also, Johnnie says he's never told anyone details
Bpetersonsj
Nov 11, 2013 Bpetersonsj rated it it was amazing
This was a heartwarming story about a young man trying to heal the wounds of his past while doing all the wrong things. Johnnie and Henry were so great together and my heart broke for them both. I loved all the characters in the story and watching them together!

** One thing I do want to address is the number of gay men in the story being interpreted as everyone being gay, therefore making it somewhat unbelievable. I didn't feel that at all. The story is about a group of gay men who have had ver
Susan
Jan 28, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-read, z-2014
I am not really a fan of historical romances and to be honest I usually try to avoid them. So when I signed up for a challenge last year and the book that was recommended to me was The Auspicious Troubles of Chance I was a little bit grumpy about it but I decided to give it a go anyway. To my surprise I ended up loving it and it was definitely in my top 5 books of 2013. I was excited to read the second book in the series and it did not disappoint. We get to revisit all the characters from the fi ...more
Lee
Nov 16, 2013 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Impetuous Afflictions of Jonathan Wolfe is a very good sequel to The Auspicious Troubles of Chance. It did become a bit schmaltzy towards the end and that stopped me from giving it 5 stars.
whitney
Nov 19, 2013 whitney rated it really liked it
Shelves: dsp
Really liked this. Great sequel. Loved seeing the guys again. Johnnie broke my heart but I still love him. Much like the rest of the family at the manor. <3 Review soon.
Idamus
Nov 11, 2013 Idamus rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, historical, 4stars
Somewhere between awww, teehee and whuuuut?

I like it though
Sally halliday
Nov 14, 2013 Sally halliday rated it it was amazing
I loved this follow on from the first book and hope charlie continues writing about them.
✼Danielle✼
Jonathan Wolfe
Henry Young

April 2015

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eight years after leaving the deserts of Africa and the French Foreign Legion behind, Jonathan Wolfe has settled into life at Hawthorne Manor in the English countryside. Johnnie helps his adopted family run the manor and provide a safe, loving home for a new generation of “brats”: boys mistreated and discarded for their homosexuality—something all too familiar to Johnnie.

Although no longer an unruly youngster, Johnnie is as stubbor
Riva
Nov 15, 2014 Riva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I am really enjoying this series. I'm not sure how realistic it is to have a motley crew of men and boys living in an English estate as a family, but it is certainly nice to think it could happen in that time period. Regardless, this is the story of Johnnie, told from his POV, a man still trying to live with his past trauma and abuse and start a new life with Jacky and Chance; the couple from the 1st book, as the paternal and "maternal" sort of figures. Henry has been waiting for Johnny to admit ...more
Debby Guyette
Mar 09, 2016 Debby Guyette rated it it was amazing
Jonathan Wolfe is happy at Hawthorn Manor where he and his adopted family run a safe, loving home for young boys who have been mistreated and discarded because they love differently. Although a grown man, Johnnie is still troubled and often unruly. He continues to run from his troubled past. The only one who has stolen his heart is Dr. Henry Young. Now Henry’s past is back and Johnnie needs to deal with his before it is too late.

Johnnie is loud and foul mouthed but beneath it all he is vulnerabl
Jamie
Apr 16, 2015 Jamie rated it liked it
I really liked the first installment in this series, The Auspicious Troubles of Chance but unfortunately this one just fell flat for me. In the first book there is action and drama in Chance's early life and then later in the foreign legion. While it's interesting to get the update on Jacky's crew, and I continue to love Jacky and Chance's relationship, there is just not that much that happens here (view spoiler) ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Objects in the Rearview Mirror (Memoirs of the Human Wraiths #2)
  • Five Ways a Boy Can Break Your Heart
  • Beguiled (Enlightenment, #2)
  • Blessed Isle
  • Another Place in Time
  • The Gentleman's Keeper
  • According To Hoyle
  • Threshold (Whyborne & Griffin, #2)
  • Freedom
  • Easy Ryder
  • Think of England (Think of England, #1)
  • Out of the Blue
  • Tarnished Gold (Tarnished #1)
  • The Fall (The Fall #1)
  • Skybound
  • The Door Behind Us
  • Encore (Blue Notes, #5)
  • Hot Mess
Charlie Cochet is an author by day and artist by night. Always quick to succumb to the whispers of her wayward muse, no star is out of reach when following her passion. From adventurous agents and sexy shifters, to society gentlemen and hardboiled detectives, there’s bound to be plenty of mischief for her heroes to find themselves in, and plenty of romance, too!

Currently residing in Central Florid
More about Charlie Cochet...

The Auspicious Troubles of Love (3 books)
  • The Auspicious Troubles of Chance (The Auspicious Troubles of Love, #1)
  • Love in Bloom