Start by marking “Last Christmas” as Want to Read:
Last Christmas

Last Christmas

For Lucy, the best Christmas present is forgetting the past.

Eager to banish the ghost of Christmas past – when her boyfriend dumped her on the streets of Paris – Lucy is determined to make this the best Christmas ever. She rallies friends and family for an epic celebration that just happens to fall on the same day as her ex’s festive wedding. Furious at how she’s been trea
ebook
Published October 31st 2013 by Notting Hill Press (first published October 28th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Last Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Christmas

Merry's Christmas by Susan RohrerBah, Humbug! by Heather HorrocksTrouble Won't Wait by Autumn PiperThis Season... Have Love/Have Faith by Tamara PhilipLast Christmas by Talli Roland
Christmas Romantic Comedies
5th out of 33 books — 17 voters
Twelve Days of Christmas by Trisha AshleyThe Night Before Christmas by Scarlett BaileyIt Started With A Kiss by Miranda DickinsonThe Gift by Cecelia AhernWith Love at Christmas by Carole Matthews
Christmas Chick Lit
217th out of 255 books — 331 voters

More lists with this book...

Ana

Also posted on This Chick Reads

*Copy provided by author in exchange for an honest review*

It happens rarely that I give a novella 5*. Actually I think this might be the second time in my life, first one being when I read 'Swim' by Jennifer Weiner. Well, it's not I'm a stingy reader, but I've read quite a lot of books and personally think someones needs to be very very good at writing to impress me with 50-100 pages.
But Talli Roland did it! As I read the last page and put down the kindle I thought
Laura Bambrey
Nov 12, 2013 Laura Bambrey rated it it was amazing
If you haven’t started your festive reading binge yet, then I have the perfect book to ease you into the mood. Talli Roland’s Last Christmas is real gem and being a novella, it’s a gorgeous bite-sized Christmas-cake-mouthful of chick-litty-goodness, great for gobbling in a single sitting.

Our heroine, Lucy, is bitter and it has to be said, a wee bit scrooge like- but then she has every right to be, having had her heart torn apart and spat on almost literally under last year’s mistletoe. But after
Shaz Goodwin
Dec 09, 2013 Shaz Goodwin rated it it was amazing
Lucy owns a small recruitment business and with employee Mimi full of festive spirit we get a flashback to the lead up to Christmas the previous year. This Christmas she’s not planning on celebrating at all … but Mimi has other ideas. Brilliant scene when Mimi has left but returns for something she’s forgotten :)

There’s something Lucy needs to let go of that will symbolise her letting go of the past and this leads Lucy into a new adventure and getting rid of the old wardrobe and hairstyle.

I love
Just My Bucking Book Blog
Oct 30, 2013 Just My Bucking Book Blog rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, chick-lit
_______________________________________
5 out of 5 bucking stars!

Genre:
Chick lit/Contemporary Romance
Heat Level: Minor
Intensity Level: 4 out of 10
Series: None
_______________________________________

Oddly, the first half of this book was dedicated to hating Christmas and all it was about but it only made me look forward to the holiday even more! Too bad Lucy cannot say the same.

From the get go in Last Christmas, Lucy is stuck in a bubble of self pity and sorrow, and rightly so because it is approa
Marie
Dec 19, 2015 Marie rated it really liked it
Find this and other reviews at Ramblings of a Daydreamer.

Last year I read and loved Talli Roland’s Christmas novella, Mistletoe in Manhattan, so when I heard she’d released another holiday novella this year, I immediately grabbed my Kindle and bought the book.

Lucy is a woman scorned. Last Christmas she expected to get engaged in the most romantic city in the world, but instead she got dumped. A year later, hating everything to do with the holiday that now holds the worst memory of her life, she
Leah
Jan 26, 2014 Leah rated it really liked it
Talli Roland is easily one of my favourite authors! I love her books so much and every year I look forward to a new book from Talli! I also love how she releases a Christmas novella every year and when she emailed to let me know about Last Christmas I was chuffed! I was even more pleased to receive a copy of the novel to review and it’s yet another lovely novella from Talli Roland.

Last Christmas tells the story of Lucy, whose memories of Christmas aren’t fantastic because last year she decided t
Erin
Dec 26, 2013 Erin rated it it was amazing
The story is about Lucy. Lucy has been unlucky in love, meaning the one and only love of her life chucked her last Christmas before you could say stocking! Since then she’s been in a kind of slump; that is until a chance meeting with her ex and his new fiancé (!!) makes her dead set to enjoy Christmas this year, making it the best ever with a massive party to rival her ex’s wedding.

I really liked Lucy right away, much like how I liked the MC in Mistletoe in Manhattan. She’s down to earth and nor
Nicole
Apr 16, 2015 Nicole rated it liked it
I decided to start a little bit christmas reading already. I started with the story of Lucy and her " letting go the past" experience. This was a very small little christmas story, which I kinda liked. Lucys heart was broken on Christmas Eve the last year and she had to learn to let go the past to open up some new pleasure and experiances. That you only can see and tread some new paths when you are able to make peace with your past, let resentment behind you and raising the faith inside you,that ...more
Thom Swennes
Nov 16, 2016 Thom Swennes rated it it was ok
Shelves: free-e-book
Loving and being in love aren’t only in different ball parks, they are completely other games.
It is a week before Christmas and Lucy Greene isn’t looking forward to the upcoming Yule Tide holiday. Since the previous year this particular holiday has taken on a whole new meaning for her and it is no longer one of happiness and good will. It now marks the time of emotional stress, embarrassment, loss, and shame.
The previous year she had planned to ask her first love, life-long friend, and house-ma
Julie
Nov 22, 2016 Julie rated it it was amazing
AS always Talli Roland writes a cracking good yarn. This Christmas story will have romance triumph even if I now have Wham's sound in my head - lovely characters and a warning perhaps not to judge others too harshly before taking a good look at ourselves.
Carley Adair
Nov 25, 2016 Carley Adair rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant read

Such a nice christmassy book.I loved Lucy and felt so sorry for her at the start .I loved the ending .
Fabulous Book Fiend
Dec 15, 2013 Fabulous Book Fiend rated it it was amazing
Review: aww what a lovely Christmas Novella! I totally didn't know what to expect from this one as I haven't read anything by this author before. I know she writes some lovely Christmas stories but this one got me hooked in right from the start! I was drawn into the action of Lucy arranging the best Christmas party ever to try and combat the fact that her ex was marrying someone else after rejecting her proposal just a year earlier. Her friend is amazing in this book, she encourages Lucy every ...more
Jennifer Joyce
Dec 11, 2013 Jennifer Joyce rated it it was amazing
Last Christmas, Lucy was dumped by her long-term boyfriend, Robert. This year, she plans to abandon all the festivities and hole herself up in her studio flat with a bottle of cheap wine. But when she runs into Robert - and his fiancée - and he announces he is getting married on Christmas Day, Lucy finds herself telling a little white lie. She can't let Robert know she is spending the day alone, so tells him she is hosting a huge party.

Once Lucy's work colleague, Mimi finds out, she runs with th
Chanpreet
Nov 20, 2013 Chanpreet rated it really liked it
Lucy isn't looking forward to Christmas this year. Who'd want to remember when her dreams were shattered? When Lucy runs into Robert, her ex and his new fiance, only to find out their wedding is in a week, she REALLY isn't looking forward to Christmas anymore. Throwing out that she's got a grand party on the same day seems like a good idea to take her mind off things, but will it work?

A year after her heartbreak Lucy still feels the pain from her breakup. Having been with Robert for a very long
Nikki Bywater
Nov 23, 2013 Nikki Bywater rated it it was amazing
All Lucy wants to do is avoid Christmas this year after last year’s disaster when she had taken long-term boyfriend Robert to Paris, and her plans had not worked out to be what she had expected, and she had been left broken-hearted.

Lucy soon realises that Christmas is everywhere and she cannot get out of it, so she decides to throw a huge Christmas party, even though it will clash with another significant event. To pay for it she pawns a watch, a gift that was supposed to be for Robert. This lea
Natalie aka: PajamaBookGirl
Nov 07, 2013 Natalie aka: PajamaBookGirl rated it it was amazing
Christmas love, Christmas heartache, Christmas kisses are what sums up
How beautiful is that cover please? It's like a gorgeous vintage Christmas card.

Talli Roland's lovely little Christmas novella, Last Christmas. (Reckon I could have fit any more Christmas' in that sentence?)

We follow heartbroken recruitment advisor Lucy on the build up to a dreaded Christmas Day with nothing but misery and bad memories from the previous years goings on. Rejected by her childhood sweetheart after 15 years toge
Rea Cobb
Nov 24, 2013 Rea Cobb rated it really liked it
Last Christmas is a short sweet novella written by the talented Talli Roland. It is an easy read and only has a very small group of characters. Lucy is our main character and after splitting with her ex Rob she doesn't have fond memories of Christmas but with the help of her assistant Mimi and the delightful James hopefully Christmas will finally be something to look forward to once again.

I felt like this was the perfect length novella, it didn't feel rushed even though it was a quick read that
Anne
Nov 18, 2013 Anne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
For an author I've never read before, Talli Roland already has a major presence on my Kindle - friends constantly tell me how good her writing is, and Last Christmas was a lovely introduction to her writing that has made me want to read more. Last Christmas, Lucy proposed to her long-time partner on a romantic trip to Paris, where he unceremoniously dumped her. So this Christmas, she plans to buy several bottles of wine and a hot curry, and catch up on her accounts. That's until she bumps into ...more
Joo
Nov 03, 2013 Joo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As with any Talli Roland story, you know what you will get and with this I wasn’t disappointed. Lucy’s previous Christmas was her worst ever when she proposed to her boyfriend in Paris only for him to dump her. She’s had a miserable year and is persuaded to have the best Christmas party ever this year.

I did find this a bit short for my liking, but that’s because I love reading Talli Roland’s work. The story itself was very well written and extremely enjoyable. Definitely a “sit down, start it, o
Deniz
Nov 05, 2013 Deniz rated it really liked it
I read Last Christmas a week ago, and couldn't put it down once I'd started. I feel like I know Lucy so well, having followed just a few weeks of her life over her shoulder -- I know romance stories don't work that way, but I really hope there'll be a sequel featuring her and a certain other character. Or maybe they could make a cameo in another book?

The story weaves through Lucy's emotional changes so well that you feel like you're growing along with her, and there are lots of laugh-out-loud mo
Samantha Janning
Dec 18, 2013 Samantha Janning rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Talli Roland is one of my favorite chick lit authors, so even though I’m not crazy for novellas, I really wanted to read another offering from her! Last Christmas is quick, cute, and packs a lot of personality for such a short read. I thought Roland did a great job making sure the main characters were developed, which can lack in novellas from time to time. The storyline had great qualities, from love lost to moving on to even showi
Rachel
Nov 10, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Another brilliant Christmas novella from the powerhouse of romantic fiction, Talli Roland. This book is realistic, about love lost and moving on, and the characters are very realistic and loveable. An enchanting tale that did leave me with a fuzzy feeling, looking forward to the Christmas season. Who can want more than that? The cover is awesome and as usual the editing and formatting is spot on. I really love Roland's work and this tale of hurt, love, revenge and forgiveness is a highlight for ...more
Lizzie Lamb
Jan 13, 2014 Lizzie Lamb rated it it was amazing

This new Talli Roland was just what I needed as I prepared for Christmas. Pressed for time, but nevertheless looking for an escape from shopping, cooking and wrapping presents, I wanted some "me" time. This light romance fitted the bill and put me in the festive mood. Last Chrismas was a quick read full of romance and festive spirit and I was able to pick it up and put it down as my mood (and time) allowed. Very enjoyable. If Santa doesn't add it to your kindle, then download it yourself!
Leigh Mitchell
Nov 13, 2013 Leigh Mitchell rated it it was ok
A bit short even for a short story but an ok read.

I would have liked more (view spoiler)

These extra details would have made the book feel less rushed - my opinion, although I am generally not a fan of very short stories anyway so maybe I am alone in my feelings?
Vicki Lesage
Sep 03, 2016 Vicki Lesage rated it it was amazing
I read this during the holidays and just loved feeling like I was there! It's a fun story that has you rooting for the main character the whole time. Will she find love? Will she get over her atrocious ex? You really hope so as you follow her through was could turn out to be a hellish Christmas season. Side note: I couldn't stop singing "Last Christmas" in my head the whole time I was reading the book, which is fine because I like that song :)
Rossana Snee
Jan 08, 2014 Rossana Snee rated it it was amazing
When Lucy's marriage proposal is rejected on Christmas, she is devastated. When she finds out her ex is getting married on Christmas Day, it sends her over the top. So she decides to throw a Christmas party to take away from the wedding. Many laughs, lessons and happy ending. Loved the book. I recommend it to anyone who wants a fun, light romantic read.
Ulrike
Dec 11, 2013 Ulrike rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
This was another really enjoyable christmas short story by Talli Roland. I've read all three christmas stories she published and I liked this one the best so far. It was fun and cute and the perfect way to spend an hour or two on a winters day.
Karly Kirkpatrick
Dec 03, 2013 Karly Kirkpatrick rated it it was amazing
Cute story! As always, a good quality bit of fun from Talli Roland. Her books are always fun and this was great to help get into the holiday spirit!
Caroline
Nov 07, 2013 Caroline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit
I love Christmas novellas and I enjoyed every single word of Talli Roland's Last Christmas. Roland is a talented author who creates a fun world that it's easy to slip into. Highly recommended!
Heather Whiting
Nov 25, 2013 Heather Whiting rated it it was amazing
A lovely feel good festive novella, with acceptance, forgiveness, a transformation of main character Lucy, the perfect foil in her employee Mimi, and evocative of a Christmassy London. Loved it!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Once upon a Christmas
  • Christmas at the Crescent
  • Calling Mrs Christmas
  • The Wedding Diary
  • Love Finds You in Frost, Minnesota (Love Finds You)
  • The Baby Diaries
  • The Parisian Christmas Bake Off
  • Christmas at Claridge's
  • What Would Oprah Do?
  • Christmas at the Gingerbread Café (The Gingerbread Café, #1)
  • The Most Wonderful Time of the Year
  • Snow Angels, Secrets and Christmas Cake
  • Cooking Up a Storm
  • Doubting Abbey (Doubting Abbey, #1)
Talli Roland writes fun, romantic fiction. Born and raised in Canada, Talli now lives in London, where she savours the great cultural life (coffee and wine).

Despite training as a journalist, Talli soon found she preferred making up her own stories--complete with happy endings. Talli's debut novel The Hating Game was short-listed for Best Romantic Read at the UK's Festival of Romance, while her sec
More about Talli Roland...