Start by marking “Charmed (Harmony #0.5 included; Winston Brothers #2 included)” as Want to Read:
Charmed (Harmony #0.5 included; Winston Brothers #2 included)

Charmed (Winston Brothers #2)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  803 ratings  ·  32 reviews
On a faraway planet...
Jayne Ann Krentz writing as Jayne Castle, bestselling author of Zinnia, Amaryllis, and Orchid.

In a legendary time
Julie Beard, bestselling author of Romance of the Rose and The Maiden's Heart.

By a haunting presence...
Lori Foster, one of Harlequin's most popular and acclaimed authors.

With a dream of genie...
Eileen Wilks, bestselling author of many Silho...more
Published October 1st 1999 by Penguin Group

To ask other readers questions about Charmed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charmed

Maria
The five stars are for the first short story, Bridal Jitters, by Jayne Ann Krentz. This story is the beginning one (1999) for her Harmony books and is a good read, although there are some discrepancies with the later books. For example, Sam Gage gives Virginia Burch a mag-rez gun and shows her how to use it underground in the alien catacombs. In later books we learn that this is a very risky maneuver since the gun can explode when used in the catacombs, which in fact happens in Silver Master (th...more
Lexie
The Charmed anthology brings together four stylistically different authors under one common theme: romance at Halloween. Jayne Ann Krentz (writing as Jayne Castle, her futuristic romance pseudonym) takes us into the future to the novella that began her Harmony series of books, Lori Foster gives a passionate spin to treasure hunting and ghosts with a story that's part of her Winston brothers novellas, Julie Beard travels back in time to King Arthur and Eileen Wilks has a slightly gothic flair to...more
Lauren
Jan 08, 2009 Lauren rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jenny Jordan
Shelves: fiction-romance, pnr
Even though one takes into affect that there were four stories by three different authors in this books, some of the stories seemed rather rushed which adversely affected my enjoyment. I do like how all the stories were centered around Halloween and I look forward to digging up some other books by the other authors
Gevera Bert
This was a fun little book full of supernatural/paranormal romance stories that all take place at Halloween. I love Jayne Castle's books set on the other planet (with the green quartz and the ghosts) which is why I got the book but all stories were enjoyable and all very different.
Carolyn F.
I mistakenly bought this book again. The different cover threw me. When I picked it up yesterday I kept thinking, "I've read this before." Went to story #2, same thing. I remembered that I liked all the stories. I liked the Castle story and the Wilks story the most.
Billie
A cute grouping of three short stories. I read this in an afternoon and enjoyed it immensely.
Shinyfox
Average rating: 3

Story 1 - Bridal Jitters by Jayne Castle
4/5
I really liked this particular story. It was fun and interesting to read. I enjoyed the take that the author had on what Ghosts were in the society. It was 'believable' as far as fantasy/sci-fi stories go, which made it all the more enjoyable

Story 2 - Man in the Miror by Julie Beard
3/5
This story was just 'ok' for me. It was a little unbelievable as far as fantasy/sci-fi stories go and I just couldn't get into the main character. Besides...more
Shannon
Bridal Jitters Jayne Castle (futuristic stories from Jayne Ann Krentz) *** Harmony 0.5 - This story takes place in the futuristic world of Harmony. It's a brief but enjoyable story, which might not make any sense at all if you haven't read others in the series.
Man in the Mirror Julie Beard ** Time travel story about a woman who is having trouble finding herself, especially on Halloween. Characters felt very one-dimensional, and while the setting was interesting, I just didn't "feel" it.
Tangled D...more
AbsentLibrarian
overall: Disappointing!

A grouping of four short stories linked by a Halloween theme, or so it claimed. The concepts for all four stories sounded promising but I am not sure that the Halloween theme was the right link for this collection. In most of the stories, the inclusion of Halloween seemed forced and not at all necessary.

The first story, Bridal Jitters, felt overly edited. The setting was not set up well and led to some confusion throughout the story. 1 star out of 5

Story # 2, Man in the Mi...more
Cynthia Armistead
I picked up this book to read just one of the four novellas, "Pandora's Bottle" by Eileen Wilks, because I've enjoyed her Lupi books. Honestly, it was the weakest of the four. (Seriously—why would a djinn's magic be tied in any way to Halloween?)

Ordinarily, I would have moved on to another book right away. Charmed is very clearly a romance anthology, and I'm not a romance fan.

On the other hand, I was doing something involving a lot of waiting, and Charmed happened to be the book that was in my...more
July
1st story-Bridal Jitters-strange story set into the future, ghost hunters, halloween, marriage contract with a two years, it is considered a marriage of convience. And these two characters in this story are business partners so this kind of a marriage does not seem strange, but they are sent on a mission that may cost them their relationship if not there lives.
2nd story-Man in the Mirror-Fascinating story, time travel woman goes back in time to the medievel time of King Arthur and Merlin time on...more
ms bookjunkie
I have to say that I'm considerably less charmed by this anthology than I was when I first read it way back when. The genre, especially the PNR that I've read, has moved on, developed, gotten more exciting. These now seem mildly charming but tame.

Jayne Castle's Bridal Jitters--2 stars
I just reread the Harmony series and this prequel doesn't contain the magic--and the dust bunnies!--that makes the series a an auto-buy for me.

Julie Beard's Man in the Mirror--2 stars
A large part of the story takes...more
This book was okay - just okay. I could see how the stories were good ideas, but I don't think they were executed very well. I really didn't like the first story about ghost hunters and another planet, hence the reason it took me so long to read this.

I think I liked the Man in the Mirror story the best - I just wanted more of it. I wanted to hear more about things happening in the Dark-Ages and wanted more magical encounters with Merlin and Nimue. I felt the ending was rushed and never got to f...more
Nora
In Jayne Castle's 'Bridal Jitters', a ghost hunter and a psychic archaeologist have to survive Halloween night in an alien graveyard together in order to realize how much they love each other & want a real marriage between them.

Med-student Katherine travels through a mirror to save Tristan--one of King Arthur's knights in 'Man in the Mirror' by Julie Beard.

Lori Foster has a couple of ghosts acting as matchmakers in 'Tangled Dreams' when they set out to find a passionate match for their dista...more
Emily
Bridal Jitters: An entertaining story, but entirely too short. Of course in a novella collection like this, there isn't enough space alloted to tell a whole story. Castle, however, is ambitious to try to convey the entire world of the Curtain and Ghost Hunters in this brief tale. A lot of questions are left hanging, and one hopes that other books in the series will clear them up. Virginia seems lame, but I'd like to know more about Sam.
Man in the Mirror: Terrible. F.
Tangled Dreams: Decent. Kinky...more
Allie Ritch
This anthology was okay. I enjoyed Jayne Castle's "Bridal Jitters" the best, but then I'm biased since I'm a Jayne Castle fan. My main complaint was that the stories were predictable. They were the type that are entertaining while you're reading them but easily forgotten as soon as you're done. Great for a light read when you've got a busy schedule and don't have time to really delve deeply into a book.
Virginia
Read it first when published in 1999. I have always been a big Krentz fan (and for a while this made me a fan of Lori Foster but I drifted away). The latest in the Harmony series has made me wish to go back and reread them all, this series has a great premise. Totally off the subject of the story...I dislike reading books where the heroine has my first name. Would this be different if my name was more common and I heard it all the time anyway?
Nesa
All the stories in this book have a publishing date of 1999. I vaguely remember reading Bridal Jitters, but it was so long ago that the story was pretty much new to me. It was a little bit strange reading a book about Krentz/Castle's Harmony without the dust bunnies, though. :D I didn't care at all for Julie Beard's Man in the Mirror. Lori Foster's Tangled Dreams was a good story and Eileen Wilks' Pandora's Bottle was so-so.
Becca
I had already read the Jayne Castle piece somewhere else. The Lori Foster story was so atrocious I had to skip the whole thing. Eileen Wilks' Tangled Dreams was a surprising high point for the book. Julie Beard's Pandora's Bottle was good but a little obvious. It reminded me of a Nora Roberts' mystery because you could see the answer coming from a mile away.
Barbara
The stories by Castle and Foster were first rate and I would give them 5 stars and were lol stories with great romance. The story by Wilks was a bit predictable but still worth 4 stars but the story by Beard only gets 3 stars. I found it sloppy and without a happy ending. Well there kind of was but there kind of wasn't. She could have made more of it.
Mojca
The only good story in this collection was JAK/JC’s Bridal Jitters. A good introduction into the futuristic world of Harmony, its peculiar ruins, and paranormal abilities of its inhabitants.

The other three were...meh.
Christine
A little too light for my taste. Writing styles were a little heavy handed at times.
Overall theme centered around Halloween.
Mel W
It was okay. Bridal Jitters by Jayne Castle (aka Jayne Ann Krentz) and Tangled Dreams by Lori Foster were my favourites.
Emily
I think I actually read this about ten years ago (or whenever it came out). Still, it was fun the second time around!
Susan
finished. 11/11. my rating. 4. read. jayne Ann krentz only
Sarah Webber
Early works by established writers. Pretty forgettable.
Miss Amanda
Short story book - bathroom read.
Dawn

Only read Lori Foster novella
Joanne
Aug 03, 2010 Joanne marked it as to-read
Shelves: a-paper-book
Read bridal jitters...love this series
  • Hot Chocolate (included: Winston Brothers, #1)
  • Bad Boys On Board (Includes: Watson Brothers, #1)
  • Sinful (includes: Winston Brothers, #3)
  • Everlasting Love

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Sant...more
More about Jayne Castle...
After Dark (Harmony #1) Amaryllis (St. Helen's, #1) Canyons of Night (Looking Glass Trilogy, #3; The Arcane Society, #12; Harmony, #8) Midnight Crystal (Harmony #7; Arcane Society #9; Dreamlight Trilogy #3) Silver Master (Harmony #4)