Start by marking “The Promise of Rain (From Kenya, With Love #1)” as Want to Read:
The Promise of Rain (From Kenya, With Love #1)

The Promise of Rain (From Kenya, With Love #1)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  17 reviews
He wants to take her child out of Africa...

The Busara elephant research and rescue camp on Kenya's Serengeti is Anna Bekker's life's work. And it's the last place she thought she'd run into Dr. Jackson Harper. As soon as he sets eyes on her four-year-old, Pippa, Anna knows he'll never leave...without his daughter.

Furious doesn't begin to describe how Jack feels. How could
Published January 2014 by Harlequin

To ask other readers questions about The Promise of Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Promise of Rain

As You Are by Sarah M. EdenFor Elise by Sarah M. EdenHope Springs by Sarah M. EdenFull Steam Ahead by Karen WitemeyerSpirit of the Knight by Debbie  Peterson
2014 Swoony Awards
326th out of 539 books — 1,684 voters
A Child's Christmas by Kate  JamesThe Weather Girl by Amy VastineThe Better Man by Amy VastineSummer Kisses by Melinda CurtisChristmas, Actually by Anna Adams
Harlequin Heartwarming
14th out of 57 books — 46 voters

More lists with this book...

Desere
This was a beautiful and stunning love story of old lovers being reunited. Yes, that has been done so many times before but this time around I actually found the author added much more refreshing moments that I have found in other similar reads.

The heroine Anna and Jack were friends for a long time before taking their relationship to the next level of intimacy this lead to Anna becoming pregnant. Before she tells him Jack proposes, Anna panics and runs off to Africa to give attention to her elep
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)

I loved Anna and her dedication to both her daughter and the orphan elephants in her care, but I could not connect with Jack. I found him unsympathetic and manipulative, in addition to clueless. Enjoyed the author's writing, but the hero fell flat for me.
Rhonda
4 STARS

I would love to go see the animals in the wild. The baby elephants seem so loveable. How can people just kill the elephants for their tusks. This romance takes place on a Busara elephant research in Kenya mostly.

The characters seem real with real hang ups. I like Anna and can see how hard it would be to finally tell the truth to everyone about having a daughter. I can't imagine hiding a daughter for 5 years from everyone.

Anna is doing research on elephants sounds also she is raising rescu
Carol
The Promise of Rain is a magical story. Ms. Sinara’s wonderful prose transports the reader to Kenya’s Serengeti Plain where Dr. Anna Bekker runs an elephant research and rescue facility. Anna lives at the camp with her daughter, Pippa. She never told Dr. Jackson “Jack” Harper that he had a daughter but she feels her secret is safe. After all, she lives in Africa and he in the US.
When Jack Harper is sent to Kenya to check on Anna’s facility he is shocked to come face to face with a child that’s u
Dizneeee
This review and more like it can be found on my blog, Dizneeee's World of Books.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow. Wow! It was so refreshing to read such a clean romance. I thoroughly enjoyed The Promise of Rain.

Our main characters, Anna and Jack, are long-time friends. Anna has trust issues about men and love due to her father. Jack has trust and love issues due to his birth parents.

Jack was adopted after his biological parents died from drug overdoses. He
Nas Dean

THE PROMISE OF RAIN is by debut author Rula Sinara and is a Harlequin Heartwarming release for January 2014.

Anna Bekker is trying to keep her research fund coming from the foundation and keeping her small family around her.

But the research director sent Dr Jackson Harper to audit her funds. Guess what Jack discovers? Anna has a daughter and he is the father of her child! Would Jack ever forgive Anna after her transgression? Could he walk away now from his daughter and Anna?

THE PROMISE OF RAIN i
Kathy Altman
A stirring love story, an out-of-the-ordinary setting and a diverse collection of troubled characters you can't help but agonize over — author Rula Sinara delivers them all with her remarkable debut. Her vivid descriptions bring the African wilderness backdrop to stunning life …

A screech pierced the background symphony of the Serengeti and an elephant rumble thrummed the air as the blood-orange hues of daybreak embraced the left side of Mount Kilimanjaro in the distance.

Thousands of animals flo
Laurie
I thoroughly enjoyed The Promise of Rain. The story is about a young woman, Anna, who lives in Kenya with her four year old daughter, Pippa, and works at the Busara elephant research and rescue camp. She is devoted to her work there and intends to raise her daughter in Kenya. The problem is she forgot to mention her plans to the child's father. In fact, she neglected to inform him that his child even exists! When he makes this discovery he wants to take his daughter back to the states to live wi ...more
Claire McEwen
I really loved this book. The setting plays a huge part - the heroine is saving African elephants. I loved that the heroine was a strong woman, a scientist, a dedicated mom, with friendships as well. The hero and heroine have a troubled past and have to overcome their mistrust of each other as well as issues from the way they each were raised and I really appreciate that. I like books with real life problems in them and obstacles for the characters to overcome, so this was a great book for me! I ...more
Susan Swiderski
Yes, this is a romance, but it's so much more than that. Wildlife veterinarian Anna is totally immersed in her new life in Kenya, where she's been running a research and rescue camp in the Serengeti for the past five years. So much so, she's never gotten around to letting the folks back home know she has a daughter. Oh, she knows she should eventually tell the father Jack, and she knows she should tell her parents, and she will. She really will... some day.

Some day comes sooner than expected, wh
Catherine Lanigan
Rula's story was haunting and that is my personal highest rating, ever. Her depiction of Africa was majestic and so close to Karen Blitzen's OUT OF AFRICA, I had to battle tears to see the pages. Custody battles for children are far too often almost commonplace in our contemporary world, but the shredding of hearts and futures over the decisions made are far-reaching and damaging. Rula's deft handling of this story will give hope to many readers. I highly recommend this wonderful novel.
Amy Vastine
Sweet romance set in the wilds of Africa. This is a great story about a wild animal vet named Anna, who goes to Africa to rescue elephants and hide from her life. There's just one problem, she was pregnant and didn't tell the father. Jack was her best friend and wanted to marry her before he even knew about the baby, but Anna thought Jack didn't love her. Poor over-analytical Jack. I think he needed rescuing more than the elephants! His backstory is filled with so much hurt but also a wonderful ...more
Janice Sisemore
Anna works at a elephant camp in Kenya, it needs additional funding, the person shows up to check on the funding is her ex who happens to be the father of her girl. He does not know he is the father or about the girl. When he shows up she is afraid he will take out away from her. Enjoyed this book, and looked forward to other books in this series.
Dawn
I received a copy of this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

"The Promise of Rain" is a lovely book to read. The simple story line is enhanced by humour, sadness, and the complexity of human nature.

The (human) main characters almost take a backseat when their animal counterparts are on the scene, and it works so well! Ambosi and Bakhari in particular come alive just as much as Anna, Jack, Pippa and the rest, sometimes more so.

Rula Sinara writes like an old hand. Scenes come to life vivi
Debbie
I enjoyed this story. The way the author wrote about the African scenes come to life for me. I will be reading more of her books.
Lindsey
Sonya Heaney
Dec 17, 2013 Sonya Heaney marked it as to-read
Review copy.
Reshmi Chakraborty
Reshmi Chakraborty marked it as to-read
Barbara Hale
Barbara Hale marked it as to-read
Twinkle Jonas
Twinkle Jonas marked it as to-read
Prity
Prity marked it as to-read
Bee Jilly
Bee Jilly marked it as to-read
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Corrine
Corrine marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
  • The Christmas Cradle (The Cowboys, #1)
  • A Facade to Shatter (Sicily's Corretti Dynasty #6)
  • Redemption in Love (Hearts on the Line, #3)
  • Someone Like You
  • The Weather Girl
  • Full Steam Ahead (Sea Swept, #1)
  • Return to Pelican Inn
  • Heart's Desire: Shores of Indian Lakes Series
  • Tabitha's Journey: A Stone Mountain Novella
  • The Babymoon
  • Security Breach (Bayou Bonne Chance #2)
  • Now You See Me
  • Connected by the Tide (Hawaiian Crush, #3)
  • Magnolia Bride
  • The Agent's Secret Child (Texas Confidential #2)
  • The Magnate's Manifesto
  • A Russian Story
After a childhood enriched with exotic travels and adventures (both in books and real life), Rula Sinara is now settled in rural Virginia with her husband, three boys and crazy but endearing pets. When she's not writing, she's busy attracting wildlife to her yard, watching romantic movies (despite male protests) or researching trees on her garden wish list.

Find out more or sign up for her newslet
More about Rula Sinara...

From Kenya, With Love (2 books)
  • After the Silence (From Kenya, With Love, #2)
After the Silence (From Kenya, With Love, #2) Mills & Boon : After The Silence After the Silence (Mills & Boon Heartwarming)