Start by marking “True Colors” as Want to Read:
True Colors

True Colors

A summer romance left Jamie Garland in love with Cade Santerre, but his involvement in a scandal close to Jamie left her feeling shattered and used, unable to trust him again. Now, before they can consider a future, Cade must track down a crook gone mysteriously missing, and Jamie must find out if the man she's fallen in love with really exists.
Published March 1st 2001 by Mira Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about True Colors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True Colors

Beastly by Alex FlinnNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerPride & Prejudice by Jane AustenRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareWicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
Flowers on Covers
168th out of 425 books — 245 voters
Mine Till Midnight by Lisa KleypasA Rogue by Any Other Name by Sarah MacLeanSeduce Me at Sunrise by Lisa KleypasThe Duke Is Mine by Eloisa JamesUndone by Lila DiPasqua
Best Historical Romance Covers
399th out of 477 books — 241 voters

More lists with this book...

Kari
Apr 21, 2014 Kari rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, 2014
I don't even know what to say about True Colors. I'm not sure that I have ever read a more TSTL heroine than the one in this book. Jamie is 29, but I would swear that she never set foot outside into the real world until the happenings in this story. I'm not even sure why I finished reading the book. I kept saying to myself that no one could be this stupid. But, Jamie is. I'm not even sure why Cade would find her remotely interesting. I can't even recommend this book and I do love this author.
Julie
Nov 17, 2011 Julie rated it it was ok
Sometimes the "Alpha male" borders on abusive. This wasn't my favorite Krentz book because the male lead is the kind of guy who makes me absolutely crazy.
Lisa
Jan 30, 2016 Lisa rated it did not like it
I didn't realize when I picked up this audiobook that it was a re-release of an old story, but it certainly explains a few things.
(view spoiler)
Cruth
Mar 12, 2015 Cruth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, library
Author: Jayne Ann Krentz
First published: 1986
Length: 249 pages
Setting: Contemporary. Big Sur.
Sex: Explicit.
Hero: He's an asshole. (view spoiler)
Heroine: PA to an elderly lady.

What a prick.

Apparently early (1980s) Krentz is really bad. Over written with unappealing, manipulative, comtrolling H and subservient, weak h, it has nothing to commend it.

For example.
He's just found out she's been on the contrac
Jean
Feb 17, 2014 Jean rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really disliked this book. Unfortunately for me, once I start I book, I feel the obligation to finish it. The story was based around two main characters, Cade and Jamie. If I were Jamie I would run as fast as I could away from Cade. He came across as abusive, controlling and manipulative. Too many times he was described as lashing out and grabbing Jamie, or unable to control his anger. And if I had a dime for every time the author referred to Cade’s eyes as “tawny”, I’d be rich woman. True Col ...more
Gloria
Apr 15, 2016 Gloria rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I almost always like Jayne Ann Krentz, but if half starts were allowed, this on would have been 3 1/2 for me. Yhe hero made some assumptions early on that I thought were ridiculous, and the heroine was loyal to the wrong people for way too long. I probably should have given it three stars, because the characters, while well-drawn, jsut didn't seem all that likeable to me.

Oh well...!
Dana Nelson
Jun 26, 2014 Dana Nelson rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
This is a horrifically dated, chauvinistic story that is incredibly unbelievable in most of the plot elements. Why would anyone be convinced that a man who just conned people out of tons of money would just conveniently commit unconfirmable suicide? Blech. Couldn't make myself finish this due to the male protagonist's prehistoric attitude.
Andrea
Feb 17, 2014 Andrea rated it did not like it
Shelves: drama, alma-library, 2014
this book was slow going. not tedious but not really needing to be finished either. characters were simple but the author tried to make them complex unnecessarily. Jamie and Cade are lovers but not. they spent one night together but it wasn't many to be. .. or was it? a predictable book.
Lara
Oct 06, 2013 Lara rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, 2013-tower-team
This is one of the recently re-released Krentz back-list titles. It contains elements that are seen throughout most of her stories, but also a more naive and willing heroine and more paternalistic hero. I enjoy reading about alpha males, but am less enamored with those who also feel that they know what is best for the heroine and she should just go along with him without complaint. In this case Cade has those tendencies, but does learn to back off and let her make her own decisions when he reali ...more
Maria
May 05, 2016 Maria rated it it was ok
A fairly early Krentz, this one lacks the humor that most of her later books have. The characters are not quite as enjoyable as well, so I don't get the sense of seeing old friends again when I re-read this book. And I get a little frustrated with Jamie because she seems to cross the line from one-track mind to stupidity, neither of which are particularly endearing to me, although I myself am guilty of both from time to time, which is probably why I don't like to see it in others. Nevertheless, ...more
Angela
Jun 13, 2014 Angela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too much harping about how betrayed Jamie felt I got the message within the first few sentences, the character should have been able to get past it and moved on after the first 2-3 chapters.
Laura Maynor
Dec 07, 2015 Laura Maynor rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish the first few chapters. This book is absolutely terrible. The author just starts in the middle of the story. The "hero" is a horrible misogynistic pig.
Barbi
Jul 13, 2016 Barbi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable book. The characters were well written. The story was interesting.
It was not one that I would read again.
Marcia
Apr 22, 2014 Marcia rated it liked it
Realized I have already read this, but re read. Knowing what was going to happen did not diminish the read.
Darlene
Like reading a cheap romance but it does keep me company while I quilt.
Ddkmc95
Apr 03, 2014 Ddkmc95 rated it it was ok
Slooow..was very difficult to get into either of the main characters.
Nenya
Jul 01, 2015 Nenya rated it liked it
bit more than 3stars. wasn't bad. another oldie from JAK.
Ruth
Jun 14, 2015 Ruth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-series
dated did not pass the test of time.
Diane
Jan 04, 2015 Diane rated it liked it
Not one of my favorites but an okay read.
Jessi
Apr 24, 2010 Jessi rated it it was ok
With this being one of Jayne Anne Krentz's early books, it's really not as good as what she's producing today.
Cade Santerre is a very Alpha Male, very dominant, "You MY woman" sort of thing. When the story opens, we find out that Cade had seduced Jamie Garland the night before her employer's brother was indicted for some shady business dealings. Now, she's pissed off but he's still trying to get with her. There's the added complication that her employer's brother is supposed to be dead... but Ja
Vicki
Jul 20, 2015 Vicki added it
I did not like this one
Apr 18, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jadzia
Jun 26, 2013 Jadzia rated it it was ok
I know, I know I should rest a bit from Krent's short novels, but I just can't seem to stop myself... Well, this one was not very good. They were already in love at the beginning and even though it's better than when they're falling in love in one week or so, their relationship didn't develop thruoghout the book - so as romance it was boring. And too much space was given to the suspence thread for such a short book.
Gmc
Sep 08, 2013 Gmc rated it it was ok
Pat
Mar 28, 2016 Pat rated it did not like it
Not worth anyone's time.
Mary-Megan
Dec 14, 2013 Mary-Megan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Given this book was written in 1986, I shouldn't expect much. The writing was at times very dippy and I didn't like the characters. They both had one track minds filled with flawed logic. There wasn't anything romantic about their relationship.
ѕєяєηιтι
Jayne Ann Krentz - Gerçeğin Yüzü

Olabilecekken tam olamamış sanki bd ama yinede okumaya değer konusu hoşuma gitti Karakterler bazı yerlerde can sıkıcıydı tam karşılamadılar beklentimi ama çokta haksızlık etmiyim..
C K
Oct 10, 2012 C K rated it it was amazing
This is an author that I have read a lot of and have added her books to my 'keeper' book shelf. Most I have read at least twice and some even more than that.
Judy Goodnight
Not one of my favorites, but still good.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add narrator 3 20 Mar 01, 2014 05:55PM
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: True Colors (1986) 1 1 Sep 27, 2012 01:20PM
  • Worth the Risk (2 stories in 1 book)
  • A Man's Protection
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters degre
More about Jayne Ann Krentz...