Start by marking “Unlikely Heroes: Ordinary Men and Women Whose Courage Won the Revolution” as Want to Read:
Unlikely Heroes: Ordinary Men and Women Whose Courage Won the Revolution

Unlikely Heroes: Ordinary Men and Women Whose Courage Won the Revolution

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  65 reviews
The story of the founding of the United States may be the single greatest event in the history of the rise and fall of nations. Thirteen infant colonies challenged the mightiest military power on earth and won! what sustained them through the six long years of war? It was their dream of freedom and liberty that drove them on- a dream shared by thousands of men and women wh ...more
Published September 11th 2007 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Unlikely Heroes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unlikely Heroes

Grumpus
This was a collection of 31 short stories averaging 8 pages in length. It makes for a very quick read.

Each story tells the tale of a little known, seemingly insignificant event (at the time) that had a profound impact on the American victory over the British during the Revolutionary War.

It was inspiring to read of the perfervid patriotism of these people given their ordeals of facing the mightiest military in world with little training, their near starvation, irregular pay, and various states of
Shellie Smith
I just love U.S. History and this book contains History that we don't learn about in History Class. I was very humbled and impressed by the small means that brought great victory for the Colonies. Many people sacraficed so much. My favorite story was about one of George Washington's spies. Even his family thought he was a Brittish sympathizer.
Margaret
I started this book excited, read one chapter, and I am now questioning if it is fiction or non-fiction. It doesn't appeal to me as a fiction, and there were too many parts of the first chapter that seemed false. If I learn in the future it truly is non-fiction, I will be very sure to read this book. In the meantime I have put it on hold.
Jill
This is a compilation of short stories about ordinary men and women who did extraordinary things that helped win the Revolutionary War. Reading it reminded me how evident the hand of God was in winning that war - by every calculation, the British should have won and won easily.

This was an easy read but very inspiring!
Holliann
I loved this book. It was perfect for a mom with short little story chapters. There were even some stories that I knew from visiting some of these famous sites. It was a quick read, and very inspiring. Definitely for History lovers, or those that are inspired by ancestors sacrifices.
Sabrina
This is a great book! The stories are short so easy to break up and read when you have time too. Very inspirational and helps you to appreciate the sacrifice and courage of our forefathers; also how all talents are needed in the cause of good.
Bigfatdummy
Not highest quality writing. The book is a collection of short stories spanning the revolutionary war and a few years beyond. I found the stories to be quite interesting and somewhat amusing.
Bonnie Law
This book is different from what I normally read. It is a book of short stories of men and women who made a difference in the Revolutionary war.
Universitybabe
May 05, 2008 Universitybabe rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Revolution History Fans
There are a few stories that I either knew or sounded familiar but they were interspersed with the ones I hadn't heard.
Ang
This author is no David McCullough or Steven Ambrose - both are my favorite historical authors. These stories are great to know about -but the style he writes them in is nothing short of frustrating to me at times! He puts things into the story like; "his long hair tied back with a leather thong,..... shifted the quid of tobacco stuffed in his cheek, spat, wiped at this tobacco- stained beard thrust a sealed document toward Shelby, and shook his head". This may not be the best (worst) example- j ...more
Josephine
3 1/2 stars.
I love reading about the American Revolution. This was a collection of about 31 stories ranging from about 5-10 pages, each featuring a different person from the Revolution. It is dramatized non-fiction, and that caught me off guard and bugged me a little in the beginning because it made me wonder how much the author was making up, and how much was fact. But I got used to the writing style and it didn't bug me too much by the end.
I especially liked the stories of the heroic women (I
Cara
This was a great read! I learned so much about our Revoluntionary War and have so much respect for the men and women and families that risked their lives, and in some instances, gave up their lives, for the chance to live in a free Nation.
This book is compromised from a series of stories from those folks that helped win the war between the US and Britain . . . while some are war heros and soliders, many are normal towns people that saw a need for help and rose to that call.

This is a different st
Verona
I love American history, so it is no surprise that I really enjoyed these short stories of the mostly unknown and unsung heroes of our American Revolution. Each story took me back in time to appreciate the unselfish, incredible sacrifices that our forefathers made for us. It touched me with renewed patriotism to know of the acts of patriotism that these ordinary people performed for our country. They didn't think of themselves; they just did what needed to be done. They had known what life could ...more
Marnie

The stories were very interesting. For stories alone I would have rated it higher but the style was a little off putting to me. Each story, while true, was written like a fiction story. It seemed a little hokey.
Heather
This book is a collection of short stories about little known and unlikely people who contributed to the American victory of the Revolutionary War. I really enjoyed this book. Unlike some war history books, it was an easy read and it seemed appropriate to finish it on Independence Day. It reminded me that the freedoms we have were not free and there are many soldiers that we are indebted to. The men and women in this book endured so much for their freedoms and for the rights that we continue to ...more
Kathleen
This is a collection of short stories about incidents connected to the American Revolution. It was interesting to find out about some of the "little people" who helped make a difference, including the man who appeared to be a Tory and yet helped Washington know what to do once he and his troops crossed the Delaware that Christmas, and the man who helped find money to pay the troops and keep the new country going financially. There are some good stories here--worth reading in order to know about ...more
Camille
This book consists of different stories about ordinary men and women who helped win the Revolutionary War and save America. Some are funny others are inspiring. It made me focus on my own life and if I would ever have the same courage some of them had to sacrifice everything I had, including my own life, for the cause of freedom. If you enjoy American History and you enjoy learning about real people who helped make America what it is, you will most definitely like this book.
Becky Nelson
Oh, this was such an enjoyable read! From Daniel Boone's cross-eyed cousin who shot British soldiers in her dining room with their own muskets... to Martha Washington's visit to the home of a dying soldier... to the Jewish broker whose financial acumen and contacts kept the Revolutionary War from bankrupting the American cause. I love the description on the back cover - "Inspiring stories about the mostly forgotten people and events that helped turn the tide of the Revolutionary War."
Melanie
Great book!!! Every chapter is a new story about some person you have probably never heard of before, who had a significant impact on the Revolutionary War. Inspiring, amazing stories of people who risked everything for the cause of freedom. A great quick read to give you some American history without being bombarded with facts. I would recommend this book to ANYONE, regardless of genre preference or interest level in reading!
Jonathan
This book was really interesting. It tells the stories of people that most people have never heard of who did extraordinary things during the revolution. Reading this book helps you understand what a miracle it was that the US even won. They British Army was superior in every way, but the US found ways here and there to win major battles. It's not very long and easy to read, so I would recommend it.
Angie
Mar 06, 2011 Angie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: US history buffs
Not what I expected. Each "chapter" is a different story about someone's heroism during the Revolutionary War. I thought it would be more of a flowing story, but it was a compilation of different tales. I learned some fascinating facts. The writing wasn't the best. The book wasn't compelling. It took me months to read. Overall, it was okay. I recommend the book for US history buffs.
Sara
This is a great book to read about everyday people that helped win the Revolutionary War. I love the premise that we can all make a difference in a big way. It also gives me the thought that we have individual missions that we are sent to Earth to perform. Do we rise up when those opportunities present themselves. A very inspirational book that makes me want to sacrifice more.
Cheryl
I trully love US history. I really loved this book. the author obviously added things into the stories to add a little drama. Regardless, I loved hearing about some of the stories. I am sure the people at the time thought they were insignificant, and didn't realize the impact they would have. Some of the stories I already knew about. But there were many I didn't know.
Angela
I really loved this book. I just hated American History in high school and now as penance I cannot get enough. This book had fascinating stories of patriotism far beyond what I have even imagined really happened. It really made me think about the effect our beliefs have on others-and how our convictions can really change what happens in our life. Really uplifting book!
Barbara
This is a collection of stories about ordinary men and women whose brave actions made them heroes during the revolutionary war. The writing style struck me as fairly simple, but the stories were very inspiring. If you have read much about the American Revolution before, you may recognize some of them, but others were new to me. It is definitely worth reading.
Chelsey
This book was great! It is a great compilation of stories from ordinary men and women who helped in the American Revolution. We never hear stories like these. The amazing things the people in this book did just goes to show that God definitely had a hand in the U.S. winning this war, that we really should not have won!
Malachi
A collection of short stories, while an interesting read, the author appears to take some liberty and making up discussions the stories told are interesting. I only wonder if some of these stories are being made up, or are being twisted to make them seem more important then they really were.
Mar 26, 2010 Jennifer is currently reading it
My mom gave this to me to read while I waited for Tyson in the waiting room. It's easy to get through--written in story form. A good reminder of how heroic these men and women were, and that we live in a great country. I'd like to research some of these and learn more about them.
Loren Smith
I loved this book. The only thing keeping it from a full 5 stars is the narration style. It was good, but made it hard for me to give full credibility to the content. I loved that there were good references to all the sources. It was a worthy read. I loved the less known stories.
Dad
This book contains short historical accounts of bravery and miracaculous events from the American Revolution. These stories make the revolution and its heroes more real and remind us that sometimes split-second decisions by ordinary people can have profound consequences.
  • Wives of the Signers: The Women Behind the Declaration of Independence
  • The Making of America: The Substance and Meaning of the Constitution
  • The Real Benjamin Franklin (Vol. 2 of the American Classic Series)
  • From Sea to Shining Sea: 1787-1837 (God's Plan for America)
  • The Freedom Factor
  • The Lincoln Hypothesis
  • The Landing of the Pilgrims
  • Fire in the Bones: William Tyndale - Martyr, Father of the English Bible
  • The Great Little Madison
  • The Proper Role of Government
  • American History Stories You Never Read in School but Should Have (Vol.1)
  • The Coming Aristocracy
  • The Real History of the American Revolution: A New Look at the Past
  • The Enoch Letters
  • The Fallacy Detective
  • Seven Miracles That Saved America: Why They Matter and Why We Should Have Hope
  • Presidents and Prophets: The Story of America's Presidents and the LDS Church
  • Lives of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence
Ron Carter was born in Salt Lake City and reared in Twin Falls, Idaho. He served received a bachelor’s degree in industrial management from Brigham Young University. He received a juris doctor degree in 1962 after attending the law schools at George Washington University and the University of Utah. Recently he has been a research and writing director for the Superior Court system of Los Angeles Co ...more
More about Ron Carter...
Prelude to Glory, Vol. 1: Our Sacred Honor Prelude to Glory, Vol. 2: Times That Try Men's Souls Prelude to Glory, Vol. 3: To Decide Our Destiny Prelude to Glory, Vol. 4: The Hand of Providence Prelude to Glory, Vol. 5: A Cold, Bleak Hill