Start by marking “Crystal Flame (Lost Colony, #2)” as Want to Read:
Crystal Flame (Lost Colony, #2)

Crystal Flame (Lost Colony #2)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,025 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
The last survivor of a proud heritage, coolly sensual Kalena embarks on a daring mission to avenge her family. A soldier called the Fire Whip is commanded to tame her, but instead he becomes the only lover to melt her frozen heart. Their love, born of fire and ice, must shatter the darkness that threatens their world.
Published August 1st 1994 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Crystal Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crystal Flame

Jane Stewart
Sep 23, 2012 Jane Stewart rated it it was ok
1 stars. Dull and boring. I wanted it to be over.

I should have stopped reading, but I kept going for the purpose of writing a review, and hoping, maybe, something would be good later. It got a little better during the last part, but not enough. The characters didn’t intrigue me. The conversations didn’t interest me. The plot was based on a potentially interesting idea, but it was not developed well. I felt no chemistry between the couple. I wasn’t drawn to Ridge, the hero. I was bored during th
Maria
I don't know how many times I have read this book, but it remains one I look forward to re-reading. Like Shield's Lady, the plot and genre remain interesting and unusual, the characters are fascinating, and the dialogue seldom disappoints. I am grateful to Ms. Krentz for persevering with this genre, since it is hard to find. It also has a little turnabout in that it is Ridge who is unsure of himself as far as the marriage is concerned and anxious to pin Kalena down while Kalena is only willing t ...more
Lisa
Mar 24, 2015 Lisa rated it it was ok
This story had its good and bad points. I liked the alien world with a touch of magic, and the idea of there being ancient keys and stones of power that represented the different ends of the spectrum. However some other aspects of the story were less satisfying.

(view spoiler)
An Odd1
Jan 17, 2013 An Odd1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, xrate
Kalena will be an independent freewoman, after she poisons Quintel, the greedy trade baron who wiped out their noble House of the Ice Harvest. Her aunt contracted a trade marriage with his trusted Fire Whip, orphan Ridge, on a mission for Healer Sand, that burns like incense for diagnostic visions. "In the depths of a Far Seeing trance", Olara sees the assassination succeed during "a large wedding party" p18 (not whose, where or when - so how accurate?). The couple's flirtations entertain me mor ...more
Debrac2014
Mar 01, 2015 Debrac2014 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable fantasy from Jayne Castle!
Sheila Melo
Jul 26, 2014 Sheila Melo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sci-fi Romance

CRYSTAL FLAME is a 1980s sci-fi romance. It is the story of Kalena who is one of the last of her House and has been raised to seek revenge against the man who killed her brother and father. She has been sent to be married to the murderer's right hand man Ridge. When her plan goes awry, Kalena and Ridge travel to discover the secrets of fire and ice, light and darkness, make and female.

As is true with many 1980s romances, the hero here is an alpha male, but Kalena is strong and ind
Michele
Jul 17, 2014 Michele rated it liked it
I'd actually rate this one around 3.5 stars. I really enjoyed the setting, especially the religion/philosophy of the culture. The romance was pretty good, but a bit heavy-handed still (alpha males, ugh). The two main characters were still likeable, however, and a lot of the awkward relationship stances came from their own inexperience and the culture they were raised in.

It's a good read in terms of understanding Krentz's development as a writer.
Carrie
SFR Reading Challenge 2011- I'll keep this here even though it might be better termed a fantasy set on another planet.

3.5*

Crystal Flame is a companion book to Sweet Starfire, although both are stand-alone reads. They are set int he same universe, but have no characters or events binding them. Sweet Starfire is an excellent sci-fi romance which I highly recommend. Crystal Flame is more fantasy than romance, and while still enjoyable, was a weaker book overall.

The story starts out strong, with mai
Paraphrodite
May 05, 2012 Paraphrodite rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
These Lost Colony books are actually not linked in any way. The only common theme being that they are people decended from colonist ships from some other universe.

In this story, the world is still quite primitive and not very technically advanced. The High Healers are women who lived in a remote high mountain valley and provide a much prized medical aid. When they suddenly sealed themselves inside the valley and refused to deal with the outside world except for a properly married wife, the Trade
Jen
Sep 04, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it
Loved this book. Sure, its a romance novel with all the gratuitous stuff.. and even parts that make me laugh so very flipping hard. But it also possesses a beauty I can not quantify nor associate with a fluff book. I saw more in this that was probably intended, but I have to give kudos to the author who managed to explore the patriarchal society mindset with grace and hope.
PEGGY SANDERS
Oct 06, 2015 PEGGY SANDERS rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!! She created a new world with great detail and the story line kept me wondering what would happen next. I couldn't put it down

The characters were real to me. Krentz is one of my favorite authors. She writes imaginative but believable stories try books by her other pseudonyms Amanda Quick and Jayne Castle.
Serena
Sep 09, 2014 Serena rated it really liked it
I read these out of order. That's a little frustrating to my OCD, but I don't think it impacted the story any. I wish that there could be more about the light and dark keys and the stones as well, but I'm always excited to see more Harms y books and Arcane Society books as well... I think she needs to clone herself and get going.
Crystal
Jul 24, 2013 Crystal rated it really liked it
Shelves: futuristic
More of a 3.5. What an odd book. It read like a historical, only with people riding giant birds like ostriches, only with better temperaments.

So the h is contracted to be a "trade wife" - a temporary wife for the duration of a trading run. Only, her real intention is to kill her temporary husband's boss...

She can't do it. They go off on the adventure to discover the boss was manipulating them because he has delusions of grandeur. Many weeks later... he confronts the boss, etc.

I had issues with t
Barbara
May 08, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story, but I was a bit confused at times. The author didn't seem fully vested in describing the world she had created. Eg. It took a while for me to realize the hero and heroine were riding a bird. She referred to it as something else (starts with a c and my Kindle dictionary wasn't able to define it), but she didn't say it was a bird until a few pages later.

The whole plot seemed out there - secret cults, magical keys, etc, but it was fun and the alpha hero totally made the
Linda Bates
Jun 25, 2016 Linda Bates rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LB

An early work by a known author. I liked everything plot, characters both major and minor, a wonderful plot and sub plot. I love the way Jayne creates her worlds and characters who are always interesting. I can't think of anything negative to say about this book. I would strongly recommend this and the other two books in this series.
Laurie Bongiorno
I don't see how this book goes along with the first one in the series. They both seem completely stand alones and quite different. One seems to embrace the future (1st one) and the 2nd the past.... I see no connection and I was looking forward to another outer space story:/
Tana
Sep 13, 2015 Tana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lightweight sci-fi read. I wanted something with a happy ending. I liked the world that the author set up where everything was set up as balanced between light and dark. The balance of power between the light and the dark must be maintained, and of course everyone assumes that the dark is more powerful.
Debbie Katauskas
Very very good book

I give five stars because, it's humorous, has romance, mystery, suspense with very good unexpected plot twists. Anyone looking for these things in a book will like this one!!!!!!!
Laurel
May 06, 2013 Laurel rated it it was ok
Books, like movies, are an individual thing. For me, this book was a disappointment because of the heavy handed emphasis on everything. I didn't need to be bludgeoned endlessly, for example, with the fact that the place of 'mere females' in the protagonists' society was to be subservient to their husbands. If I'm generous I could say that the author was trying to show that the protagonists could triumph over their social conditioning to emerge as equals but if that was what the author was going ...more
rose morris
Mar 30, 2016 rose morris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book

I enjoyed this story. It kept my interest and could not put it down. The story line was very good.
Synthe
Nov 10, 2013 Synthe rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I like Jayne's books and got a kick out of reading one that she wrote in the late 80s. I can see the evolution of her fantasy/SF writing progression. What kept me reading on this particular story was the theme / premise centered on balance between males/females and reflected ideas that modern (American) women readers were dealing with politically at the time. None of this was shoved down the reader's throat, of course, as Jayne would never do that (frankly, I don't believe she is capable of this ...more
Agnes Ross
Dec 01, 2014 Agnes Ross rated it really liked it
Jayne Ann Krentz creates a magical world in this book.
Dawn
Oct 14, 2012 Dawn rated it really liked it
Shelves: krentz-jayne-ann
I am writing this review over three years after reading the book. I don't remember too many details, but I have some vivid overall images that have remained with me. I remember that it is sci-fi and takes place in another world. The hero and heroine come together to make a journey that they cannot make apart. Even though they are somewhat forced together, they eventually fall in love. I remember liking this book alot. I was new to Goodreads (and romances) back then and did not review my reads. N ...more
Clyde Ruth
Feb 10, 2016 Clyde Ruth rated it liked it
Good.....is it part of a series?
Julie
3.5**
Meredith
May 08, 2012 Meredith rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, fantasy
A woman who is sworn to assasinate a powerful man is thwarted when her mission goes terribly wrong.

If you're going to read Krentz, this is the kind of story you should check out. Again, it's sci-fi, but not so out of this world as Sweet Starfire. Ridge is one of Krentz's best heroes, and the heroine shows the kind of backbone you wish you saw more often in these books. I'm not going to spoil it any further--this is one you should have the pleasure of discovering for yourself.
Jacqueline
I love this book. I love the bastard hero trying to better himself and the girl who falls in love with him against her will. Lovely touching scenes between them. The only thing that keeps it from being 5 stars is the bit about the women only valley at the end. Just don't like all that mystical women shamanistic power stuff. Not just here but in any book and I realize that it's just me.
Connie
Oct 02, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it
Shelves: already-read
I have read quite a few books about other worlds and other times, but this one was a bit confusing at first. It's like a complex movie you really have to pay attention. The story itself wasn't the issue, it was good and fairly easy to understand. But the world itself and the way it was written didn't make for an easy read. By the time I finished it I was in love.
Brianna
Jul 30, 2010 Brianna rated it liked it
Shelves: adult
it was okay, but i am not use to this stuff (midevial types) by her. This was probably before she decide to write under the pen name "Janye Castle." But it was okay. I didn't like how men were the rulers of everything and that woman were weak and always stay out of the affairs. but that was the life.
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Crystal Flame (1986) Book 2 1 2 Sep 27, 2012 11:24AM
  • Orchid (St. Helen's, #3)
  • Worth the Risk (2 stories in 1 book)
  • Wicked Widow (Vanza, #3)
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters degre
More about Jayne Ann Krentz...

Lost Colony (3 books)
  • Sweet Starfire (Lost Colony, #1)
  • Shield's Lady (Lost Colony, #3)