Start by marking “The Golden Chance” as Want to Read:
The Golden Chance

The Golden Chance

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  1,485 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
When she gains control of his family fortune, it’s love at first fight.

Stunning, stubborn, and independent, Philadelphia Fox lost her best friend because of the fabulously rich and powerful Lightfoot family of Washington state. Now she’s got her friend’s controlling shares in Lightfoot Industries—an inheritance that brings Nick, the family’s prodigal and supremely attracti
Published December 1st 1997 by Pocket Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Chance

Diane ~Firefly~
JAK is my favorite author and this is one of my favorites. Nick is estranged from his family and when he brings Phila into the fold, somehow she reminds the family that Nick is really an upright guy (standard JAK plot). Phila is great fun with her love of wild colors and great people sense. The characters are fun and re-reading this book is like wrapping up in a comfy blanket on a cold morning.
Jessi
An older Krentz novel that mostly holds up.
Philadelphia Fox's best friend has died and left her shares of the Lightfoot family company. Best friend Chrissie had recently reconnected with her father Burke (the Lightfoot partner) and when he died, he left her the shares, offending not only his son but the wife who had turned a blind eye to his many indiscretions, until this rather obvious evidence of an affair showed up on their doorstep.
Phila and Chrissie had grown up together in the foster care
fleurette
Sep 20, 2016 fleurette rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book a bit more than I have expected.

Philadelphia's friend dies and leaves her some shares in Castleton & Lighfoot Industries. Nick Lighfoot, practically banished from the family three years ago, is asked to get those shares back. He convinces Phila to spend some time with his family before she decides to destroy the family business as a revenge for her best friend death.

The story was written in 1990 but it feels quite modern. I didn't have any problems with it being outdated
Lara
Oct 14, 2016 Lara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
I really enjoy the audiobook version of this book and have listened to it multiple times. The heroine is a social worker who grew up in foster care after being orphaned and losing her grandmother as a child. Recently her best friend died and left her shares in a family-owned corporation. The two families that own the company want the shares back and have sent one of their own to convince her to let them go. There is history between the hero and the families that Philadelphia manages to tease out ...more
Vannessa Anderson
The Golden Chance was one of Jayne Ann Krentz’s better books!

Nick Lightfoot, after learning that Philadelphia Fox helds a large chunk of shares in his family’s company, goes after Philadelphia Fox intending to get the shares back by any means. Philadelphia Fox’s best friend left the shares to Philadelphia in her Will and whom Philadelphia believes died by the hands of a Lightfoot. Philadelphia, determined to avenge her friend’s death, finds a way into the family through Nick.

Although The Golde
Mary
Jan 02, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jayne Ann Krentz lovers
Recommended to Mary by: sister
Shelves: romance
I loved this book. There are so many layers, an illegitimate daughter who creates havoc, a woman who married the wrong man, a son thrown out of the family for a terrible misunderstanding, a father who won't admit to his mistake. And best of all, Philadelphia Fox, a woman with her own secret who has a sense of right and wrong that she will stick to even if it jeopardizes the future of the man she loves. Venus fly-traps and guard dogs who aren't very guard dog at all and marital spats and power ...more
Maria
I think this is my all time favorite Krentz. I love heroines who "fix" things plus the rottweilers were a wonderful addition. The dynamics between Tec and Phila are alone worth the price of the book, and Jordan's "soundtrack" problems are priceless. Put a liberal social worker (Philadelphia Fox) together with a right-wing military family (of which Nicodemus Lightfoot is a member) and you get a recipe for humor and political commentary which Krentz then mixes with suspense and pathos to create an ...more
Lisa
Mar 24, 2015 Lisa rated it it was ok
This book never really grabbed me. I didn't hate it the way I have some of JAK's older books, I just never got hooked. I read the first half of Golden Chance on a plane and while it passed the time en-route well enough, once I got home I set the half-read book down and didn't pick it up again for over a month. That pretty much says it all right there.

(view spoiler)
Carrie
The book was fascinating, but sometimes it was fascinating in that "I can't take my eyes off that train wreck" kind of way. I loved that the plot and characters were much more complex and interesting than in many romances. JAK manages to make you feel sympathy even for the people you didn't want to like. There was a lot of great, emotional dialog. In fact, the interactions between the large cast of characters propels the plot, and JAK handles those conversations very well.

Unfortunately, I never
Estara
Dec 16, 2012 Estara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Estara by: comfort reread and it still works for me
Grimcats
Aug 21, 2016 Grimcats rated it it was amazing
This book is going on my top 3 Jayne Ann Krentz.

Loved it! No other way to describe it.

Phila: Ladies and gentleman here is a one tough gal. She has you rooting for her through out the book. This author has a way with her heroines. I mean you can't help but love them.

Nic: This dude is one shrewd and intelligent male.

The story starts with Phila having a couple of powerful west coast families by the balls. The best part was Phila had them wrapped around her fingers without twisting their proverbi
Pat Cromwell
Mar 31, 2009 Pat Cromwell rated it liked it
Philadelphia Fox is borderline irritating thus the 3 stars in lieu of four. What makes her more agreeable than that darn librarian in Perfect Partners is our hero Nick. Yep, he was a wee bit stronger than her but she still came off as a wretched little girl. However, by the end there was no doub who was boss. There is a scene in the book where Nicks father is telling him how to handle her. It is priceless as is the scene where the whole clan is out to teach her about handling a gun. Only Jayne ...more
May Traboulsi
Aug 09, 2015 May Traboulsi rated it it was amazing
It's true I might be a wee bit subjective because Jayne Ann Krentz is one of my favourite authors but this book is one of her best!

I won't go into plot details; I hate spoilers, but Ms Krentz has created a strong sweet foxy lady with a heart of gold in her heroine, Philadelphia Fox. You can't read this book without cheering Phila Fox on as she takes on the mighty Lightfoot and Castleton families to get justice for her deceased foster sister. The romance between her and Nick Lightfoot simply burn
Whispers
Feb 21, 2014 Whispers rated it liked it
hiladelphia Fox is an ex social worker who testified against one of the foster parents. She inherited stocks from her best friend. Nick Lightfoot has been gone for 3 yrs and sees this as a way to get back into the family by getting those stocks for himself. The Castletons and the Lightfoots both try to convince her to give the shares to them. She has intimacy issues but Nick helps her work thru them.
I have read many of Ms Krentz's books and this was fairly good. You have a funky dressing liberal
Greymalkin
Feb 19, 2010 Greymalkin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mary Lizotte
Jul 16, 2009 Mary Lizotte rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I listened to 2 1/2 discs and found myself straying from the readings. There are two readers, a he and she, don't know their names. The man's voice just didn't suit me for the main character. I couldn't conjur up the right image for the leading man with his voice, not to say he's not a good reader...he actually is. She's fine as a reader also, but some of her characters voices just don't get it with me. I really like Jayne Ann Krentz so I will read the book.
Mary
Nov 09, 2009 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, audio-book
I debated between 3 or 4 stars, but since I am listening to the audio MP3 for the third time, I figured 4 stars should be my rating. :)

The second and third times through are very interesting. I'm catching a lot of the more subtle comments. The book is clever and funny, but also very intriguing because there are so many characters involved, and they all have different motivations.

I am really enjoying listening to this book a third time around.
Hilly
1 star.

I read this long ago in print and unlike other JAK books I never desired to read it again ... but time passed and I forgot why. I decided to give the audiobook a chance (ooh, pun!), but this is absolutely one of the worst JAK books ever. The bathroom scene put it over the top for me, and I've bailed out before the final disk. I don't even care what happens to any of these characters (as though it isn't already foreshadowed and predestined. Duh!), so out the book goes!

Yuck!
Blakely Bennett
Aug 12, 2013 Blakely Bennett rated it it was amazing
It took me a bit to get into it but then I fell in love with the story. I probably would have rated it 4 1/2 stars if I could have but felt it closer to a 5 than 4. I loved the romance and the intrigue regarding the families that are slowly revealed. Fun to see an unknown person thrown in to the mix and how she shakes things up. The sex scenes, although not really graphic were a turn on.

For the romance addicts out there, I recommend it.
Jane (PS)
Apr 10, 2011 Jane (PS) rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Audiobook

I really don't like the female narrator's voice for the 'upper-crust' characters. She drawls and lowers it to such an exagerated extent that it both irritates me and makes it hard to hear!

I'm really enjoying the story, however sadly, based on my dislike of the female narrator's characterisation, I would have trouble recommending this audiobook. If this book looks like something you would enjoy - please - read it!
Carol/Bonadie
Jul 17, 2011 Carol/Bonadie rated it liked it
I thought the plot was good, if predictable. I found the female MC slightly annoying, and the male MC unbelievable (his comments about sex just didn't wring true to me). The male reader sounded distractingly like Joe Montagna, the actor. Still, I enjoyed it. What can I say, I'm a sucker for a romance in which the outsider brings a family at odds with each other together.
Donna Brown
Feb 09, 2015 Donna Brown rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
I usually read historical romance and was pleasantly surprised that the board room drama kept me entertained. Had a biopsy which made me ill so, of course, I wanted to do nothing but pick up a book and escape the pain. I found this held my interest for the entire day! Definitely something I would recommend.
Brianna
Jun 23, 2010 Brianna rated it liked it
Shelves: adult
Sheilad37
Sep 10, 2012 Sheilad37 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not realize this book was written in 1990, felt that it was pretty current. I was listening to this one and it took me a little while to get used to the two voices reading the book. I found it very enjoyable and wanting to drive a little longer so that I could listen to it.
Jordy...aka...addicted obsessed bookaholic!
The audio book was good but I think I would have been bored & gave up if I actually tried to read it myself. the narrators definitely kept my attention.
Sandhya
The female lead of the book ...Phila is a wonderful character....you can just read the book for her...so unique...i loved her!!
Brenda Audiobooks Only
Narrated by Patrick Lawlor and Franette Liebow

The narration done by Patrick Lawlor and Franette Liebow made this old favorite a good listen for me.
Gamatst
The narration done by Patrick Lawlor and Franette Liebow made this old favorite an outstanding listen for me. Really excellent!
Karen Vandenbosch
Jul 10, 2011 Karen Vandenbosch rated it really liked it
Fun easy read with a predictable ending but a few twists throughout. Typical Jayne Ann Krentz but always a enjoyable summer read.
Madhellena
Apr 27, 2014 Madhellena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oldie-golldies
One great old school romance. I really miss this type of stories that involve families and feuds. I'm so happy I remembered this author.
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Golden Chance (1990) 1 1 Sep 27, 2012 12:30PM
  • Raven's Prey
  • Orchid (St. Helen's, #3)
  • Seduction
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters degre
More about Jayne Ann Krentz...