Start by marking “The Battle of Candle Arc” as Want to Read:
The Battle of Candle Arc

The Battle of Candle Arc

A science fiction short story

"The heptarchate's exotic technologies depended on the high calendar's configurations: the numerical concordances, the feasts and remembrances, the associated system of belief. The mothdrive that permitted fast travel between star systems was an exotic technology. Few people advocated a switch in calendars. Too much would have to be given up, a
Published October 1st 2012 by Clarkesworld Magazine

To ask other readers questions about The Battle of Candle Arc, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Battle of Candle Arc

Sidsel Pedersen
Oct 17, 2013 Sidsel Pedersen rated it it was amazing
I think it was wonderful to read a military Sci fi story that was not about the battle but still let it play a key role. And I also liked the terminology riffs - I love it when writers assumes that their readers are smart enough to follow them. I found it really refreshing to have this level of emotion in a military story. Awesome - I want to read more by Yoon Ha Lee
Denise
Oct 10, 2016 Denise rated it really liked it
Prequel to Ninefox Gambit!
Lance Schonberg
There’s too much going on here, and whether that’s a symptom of a wider world or a story that should have been longer to explain itself better, I’m not sure. Magic piled on top of religion piled on top of a stars-spanning totalitarian state piled on top of military space opera.

I said magic, and I don’t think I can back down from that, Clarke’s Law notwithstanding. Technology and science that performs variably based on a calendar that you have to figure out on your own fits more into the magic ca
Dione Basseri
A story of war and heresy. Just heresy by a convoluted name. Calendars and timekeeping manage the powers of this world, working as a sort of magic and technology. Switching calendars means new technologies could be developed, but old may stop working, and the people in power will change. Someone will always control the calendars, and will war with one another to prove their own superior.

A general meets his new subordinate as they are about to step onto the battlefield. She questions his tactics,
Isis
Jul 13, 2016 Isis rated it really liked it
Prequel, sort of, to Ninefox Gambit, and published first though written later. A clearer and more self-contained introduction to this universe than the novel; I think it does a great job of showing both the character of Shuos Jedao, and the way magitech/doctrine/heresy works in this series. Though maybe I just feel that way because I had already read the novel and had those ideas in my mind?

Free online at Clarkesworld.
Eleanor With Cats
One of my favourite Yoon Ha Lee stories, possibly *the* favourite. Political intrigue, character development, exciting battle, and some really fascinating worldbuilding.
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2016
Robert Lesac
Robert Lesac rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2016
Christian Harrington
Christian Harrington rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Scott Klobas
Scott Klobas rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2014
Cassian Eaves
Cassian Eaves rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2016
Jason Matos
Jason Matos rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Kim
Kim rated it did not like it
Oct 05, 2014
Nathanbp
Nathanbp rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Fortluna
a prequel to ninefox gambit?
Pawan Kumar
Pawan Kumar marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Ivy
Ivy marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
John Muñoz
John Muñoz marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Daphne
Daphne marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Martin Philipson
Martin Philipson marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Dennis
Dennis marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
pml
pml added it
Jul 01, 2016
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Stig Mathisen
Stig Mathisen marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Marcel Aniceto
Marcel Aniceto marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Charlotte Kuh
Charlotte Kuh marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Goran
Goran marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Chris May
Chris May marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2016
Yoon Ha Lee is an American science fiction writer born on January 26, 1979 in Houston, Texas. His first published story, “The Hundredth Question,” appeared in Fantasy & Science Fiction in 1999; since then, over two dozen further stories have appeared. He lives in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
More about Yoon Ha Lee...