Start by marking “Mrs. Jeffries Questions the Answer (Mrs. Jeffries, #11)” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Jeffries Questions the Answer (Mrs. Jeffries, #11)

Mrs. Jeffries Questions the Answer (Mrs. Jeffries #11)

Meet the inspector and Mrs. Jeffries--in a delightful mystery series set in Victorian England--and featuring the most charming characters ever to crack a case.

Hannah Cameron was not well-liked but who stabbed her in the back? To almost everyone, the answer was clear: she was killed by a burglar. This case is given to Inspector Nivens so Mrs. Jeffries and the rest of the h
Published November 1st 1997 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Jeffries Questions the Answer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Jeffries Questions the Answer

Damaskcat
Jul 27, 2016 Damaskcat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hannah Cameron was definitely unpopular with everyone n her household and all her relatives as well so there are plenty of suspects when she is stabbed in the back in what appears to be a burglary gone wrong. As it appears to be a burglary the unpleasant Inspector Nivens is asked to investigate. Smarting under their inability to find Jack the Ripper Scotland Yard can't afford any unsolved murders and classifying this as a burglary gone wrong just might take the heat off them.

Inspector Witherspoo
Victoria
May 09, 2017 Victoria rated it really liked it
I love this series to listen to, and I hipe my library gets more of the audiobooks soon.
Brandi
The annoying Inspector Nivens throws a wrench in the works and inheritances drive murder in this installment of the ever-entertaining Mrs. Jeffries Victorian mystery series.
Maria Thermann
Jul 15, 2015 Maria Thermann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I very much enjoyed this instalment of Brightwell's Mrs Jeffries murder mysteries. Set in Victorian London, Brightwell's novel tells the tale of what looks at first glance to be a burglary gone wrong in the Cameron household. The lady of the house, Hannah Cameron, has been stabbed in her own home in the middle of the night. A rather unpleasant woman and super-strict employer, Hannah Cameron was disliked by many people, including all her servants, her half-brother and her cousin. Plenty of suspec ...more
Dharia Scarab
Dec 29, 2013 Dharia Scarab rated it really liked it

4 sta
Jessica
Jan 22, 2017 Jessica rated it really liked it
Another great read from Emily Brightwell! These books are so hard to put down... I usually read all or almost all of them in one sitting. Inspector Nivens plays a fairly large role in this one and I have to admit that I couldn't help but smile every time someone made a dig at him. That made this book all the more enjoyable for me because Nivens is such an epic tool. Well-written and entertaining as always.
Clare
Jul 27, 2008 Clare rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is a light-hearted mystery where a housekeeper helps the police inspector for whom she works solve a crime. Of course, he never realizes just how helpful she was and she is content to let him think he has worked things out on his own.
Barb Martin
Mar 25, 2016 Barb Martin rated it liked it
An unpleasant woman is stabbed, but is it murder or a burglary gone wrong? Inspector Niven gets in the way as Mrs. Jeffries and the rest of the household staff helps their employer catch a murderer. Along the way, several heroes show their true colors. Just a delight.
Wilde Sky
Jul 30, 2015 Wilde Sky rated it really liked it
A nasty woman is killed was it a burglary gone wrong or a deliberate act?

This was a satisfying Victorian murder mystery full of well developed / decent characters.

If you enjoy 'gentle crime thriller' this is worth a look.
Lauren
Nov 08, 2012 Lauren rated it really liked it
The inspector is getting smarter. He knows that this is a murder and he has his superiors agree with him. Mrs Jeffries and company are hard pressed to help and keep out of the way as the murderer tries to cover up the crime! Fun, fun and more fun. I do love these stories.
Mary Byrnes
Oct 03, 2014 Mary Byrnes rated it really liked it
Getting close to finishing the next few books I have in this series. Going to have to order the next few in the series. Having such fun reading them. The characters seem like old friends at this point.
Pat
Aug 07, 2013 Pat rated it it was amazing

I love Mrs. Jeffries and the whole gang at Inspector Witherspoon's. This was another successful story.
Kim
Mar 27, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it
Typical Mrs. Jeffries. Turns ous Smythe is very wealthy.
Cindy
Jan 25, 2014 Cindy rated it liked it
Shelves: emily-brightwell
The background work done by this dedicated team is fun to read and watch unfold. Fun reading.
Carrie
Mar 06, 2011 Carrie rated it really liked it
I just casually picked this up, read the first few pages, and then had to finish it! I got hooked, the characters are a lot of fun and the mystery was good. It is all my mother's fault!
Jill
Dec 29, 2016 Jill rated it really liked it
Another entertaining read
Bev
The Mrs. Jeffries series is a nice, light take on the Victorian era. Nice when you don't want anything too demanding.
Melissa Gibson
Mar 08, 2010 Melissa Gibson rated it it was ok
ok mystery but really thin on historical detail.
Serena
Jul 03, 2014 Serena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
My Rating System:
Amanda
Sep 09, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing
This one was a lot of fun with the household having to work around Inspector Nivens. Love it when they get the better of him. Nice twist on the murder plot too. Laughed out loud several times.
Chris Donner
Chris Donner rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2015
Janet Wall
Janet Wall rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2015
Sharon
Sharon rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2009
Patricia Tucker
Patricia Tucker rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2014
Pepper
Pepper rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2015
Judy Ackerman
Judy Ackerman rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Julie Burrows
Julie Burrows rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2015
Barbra
Barbra rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2008
Robin
Robin rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2013
Carina
Carina rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Point of Honour (Mrs. Pargeter, #6)
  • The Tale of Hawthorn House (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #4)
  • Service for Two (Pennyfoot Hotel #3)
  • Our Lady of Pain (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #4)
  • Dangerous Alterations (A Southern Sewing Circle, #5)
  • The Sour Cherry Surprise (Berger and Mitry, #6)
  • Puzzled Indemnity (Puzzle Lady #16)
  • The Dead Hand of History (Monika Paniatowski, #1)
  • Fall of a Philanderer (Daisy Dalrymple, #14)
  • Deck the Halls/The Christmas Thief: Two Holiday Novels
  • Death on the Lizard (Kathryn Ardleigh, #12)
  • Goodnight Sweet Prince (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #1)
Cheryl Lanham was born on 11 October 1948 in the Appalachian mountains of West Virginia, USA. Her family moved to Southern California in 1959 and she grew up in Pasadena. After graduating from California State University, she decided to work her way around the world and took off for England. She didn’t get much further because she met Richard James Arguile, the Englishman who became her husband, g ...more
More about Emily Brightwell...

Mrs. Jeffries (1 - 10 of 36 books)
  • The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #1)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Dusts for Clues (Mrs. Jeffries, #2)
  • The Ghost and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #3)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Takes Stock (Mrs. Jeffries, #4)
  • Mrs. Jeffries on the Ball (Mrs. Jeffries, #5)
  • Mrs. Jeffries on the Trail (Mrs. Jeffries, #6)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Plays the Cook (Mrs. Jeffries, #7)
  • Mrs. Jeffries and the Missing Alibi (Mrs. Jeffries, #8)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Stands Corrected (Mrs. Jeffries, #9)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Takes the Stage (Mrs. Jeffries, #10)