Start by marking “The Stupids Take Off (The Stupids, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Stupids Take Off (The Stupids, #4)

The Stupids Take Off (The Stupids #4)

To avoid a visit from boring Uncle Carbuncle, the Stupids take off in the family plane but end up meeting even more stupid relatives in their travels.
Published March 29th 1993 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published October 30th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Stupids Take Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stupids Take Off

Liz
Jul 24, 2008 Liz rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: children
Love George Washingmachine
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
My favorite in the Stupid series is actually book two in which The Stupids Have a Ball, but this Stupid book has it's charm as well. Interestingly, both Stupid books deal with the Stupid extended family, but where in the second Stupid book, the Stupid Family invites their relatives to a Stupid party (ball), in this Stupid book they are trying to avoid a Stupid uncle so they take off and in the meantime run into many Stupid relatives including Stupids we have not met previously. Here is just a sa ...more
Hannah
May 25, 2008 Hannah rated it it was ok
When I was in Elementary School we would rush to the shelf to see who would get to check out the "Stupid" books. They really are so goofy and probably of no educational value, but I loved them as a kid!
Kendall
Oct 30, 2011 Kendall rated it really liked it
I love these stupid books!
Kathryn
This book is terrible. It's condescending. And while it might be popular with kids, it has a terrible moral.
Dione Basseri
Sep 21, 2014 Dione Basseri rated it did not like it
*deepest sigh* Look...maybe this was the height of humor in 1989. Maybe this was all a now-mid-thirties child would read. Maybe it helped spark someone's lifelong love of literature.

But holy balls, please do not buy this in the modern age. I mean, luckily it's out of print, so it's not under high demand. But just...do not.

It's obnoxious. It's boring. And, yes, it's a bit offensive. I know some people will be like "Stupid isn't a bad word!" to which I respond "okay, but why does pretty much every
Rachel C
Apr 03, 2011 Rachel C rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
So lately, Riley has been bringing home books from his school library. I have been dismayed that they are all crap. This one included. The book twice calls children “Stupid kids” (see p. 8) and uses the word stupid at least 40 times. Children should be encouraged to learn and excel in school. Stupidity should not be encouraged, advocated, or found funny. I can't believe this is a series of books.
Josiah
Jan 19, 2010 Josiah rated it did not like it
Of the three books about the Stupids that I've read, this one is the best. There are some clever laughs in the simple story, and even some light-hearted food for thought, such as when Buster Stupid remarks on how their relatives live all over the place by saying, "The Stupids are everywhere." The Stupids Take Off is an entertaining read.
Samantha
The Stupid family flees their house when they receive a telegram announcing the Uncle Carbuncle plans to visit. They hop into their very own airplane and throughout their journey visit with other members of the Stupid family. Great funny read aloud.

Readalikes: Amelia Bedelia series, Dav Pilkey books
Kathleen
Jun 06, 2016 Kathleen rated it liked it
The Stupids go around the world by plane, visiting relatives all over while attempting to avoid another! This isn’t as cohesive a story as something like “The Stupids Die,” just a series of jokes and sight gags.
Magila
2.5

I though I would like this far more than I actually did. Some parents may find the overall theme and themes a bit offensive, but I'm ok with a little bit of subversive humor for the right children.
Kim
Jul 10, 2012 Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
To avoid a visit from Uncle Carbuncle, the Stupids take off in their plane with their cat, Xylophone at the controls to visit various other Stupids. Text and illustrations work together to create gags.

themes: family, silliness, travel
Mark Baker
Jun 13, 2014 Mark Baker rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, picture-book
Not one of the stronger entries in this series as some of the jokes are, well, stupid.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Amanda
Feb 10, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
The Stupids are a hilarious family mostly because they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. But the fun is not so much mean-spirited as it is ironic and goofy. The illustrations play a large role in the humor. Excellent for the easily bored.
Heidi-Marie
I know I read another "Stupids" book, but I can't remember if it was this one. I just remember as a teenager being surprised that there were more books using characters that I had grown up lauging at.
Andrea Wilkinson
Sometimes silly, sometimes "stupid,"...this book was funny and strange!
Marianac
Nov 06, 2014 Marianac rated it really liked it
The stupids is a good book to read. It was a cool, funny, and a family book. I would like for my mom to read it.
Bree
Notes:
the books in this series are definitely fluff but they sure are funny; best for age 5-7
Sassy
Sep 03, 2013 Sassy rated it liked it
Nice trip down memory lane! I loved The Stupids as a child.
Lesley Looper
This nonsensical book tickled my funny bone! James Marshall's illustrations are really fun in this one, too!
Kaethe
The Stupids want to avoid running into Uncle Carbuncle, so of course they end up visiting all kinds of family. Long live the Stupids!
Bexa
Aug 20, 2016 Bexa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read for banned book week preparation. Not funny, not worth the time to read it.
Sarah Stumphf
Feb 27, 2014 Sarah Stumphf rated it liked it
When I read these books, I feel like I get stupider, but my three year old likes them. Another silly story about the adventures of the Stupids.
Kaylin and Liam
7 years old
Jim
Jim rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2012
Bari
Bari rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2011
Zoe Nelson
Zoe Nelson rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2013
Reedy
Reedy rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2011
Isaac Bernstein
Isaac Bernstein rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Arming America: The Origins of a National Gun Culture
  • Deal with It! A Whole New Approach to Your Body, Brain, and Life as a gURL
  • The Facts Speak for Themselves
  • Draw Me a Star (Paperstar Book)
  • 1000 Tattoos
  • You Hear Me?: Poems and Writing by Teenage Boys
  • Crazy Lady!
  • Detour for Emmy
  • Heather Has Two Mommies
  • Life is Funny
  • I Saw Esau: The Schoolchild's Pocket Book
  • The Music Teacher from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #8)
  • Mommy Laid An Egg: Or, Where Do Babies Come From?
  • It's So Amazing!: A Book about Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies, and Families (The Family Library)
  • The Joy of Gay Sex
  • The Fortune-Tellers
  • Uncle Sam’s Carnival of Copulating Inanimals
  • Daddy's Roommate

The Stupids (4 books)
  • The Stupids Step Out (The Stupids, #1)
  • The Stupids Have a Ball (The Stupids, #2)
  • The Stupids Die (The Stupids, #3)