The Stupids Take Off (The Stupids, #4)

The Stupids Take Off (The Stupids)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  20 reviews
To avoid a visit from boring Uncle Carbuncle, the Stupids take off in the family plane but end up meeting even more stupid relatives in their travels.
Published March 29th 1993 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published October 30th 1989)

Liz
Aug 05, 2008 Liz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: children
Love George Washingmachine
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
My favorite in the Stupid series is actually book two in which The Stupids Have a Ball, but this Stupid book has it's charm as well. Interestingly, both Stupid books deal with the Stupid extended family, but where in the second Stupid book, the Stupid Family invites their relatives to a Stupid party (ball), in this Stupid book they are trying to avoid a Stupid uncle so they take off and in the meantime run into many Stupid relatives including Stupids we have not met previously. Here is just a sa...more
Hannah
When I was in Elementary School we would rush to the shelf to see who would get to check out the "Stupid" books. They really are so goofy and probably of no educational value, but I loved them as a kid!
Kendall
I love these stupid books!
Mark Baker
Not one of the stronger entries in this series as some of the jokes are, well, stupid.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Sarah Stumphf
When I read these books, I feel like I get stupider, but my three year old likes them. Another silly story about the adventures of the Stupids.
Kaethe
The Stupids want to avoid running into Uncle Carbuncle, so of course they end up visiting all kinds of family. Long live the Stupids!
Bree
Notes:
the books in this series are definitely fluff but they sure are funny; best for age 5-7
Rachel C
So lately, Riley has been bringing home books from his school library. I have been dismayed that they are all crap. This one included. The book twice calls children “Stupid kids” (see p. 8) and uses the word stupid at least 40 times. Children should be encouraged to learn and excel in school. Stupidity should not be encouraged, advocated, or found funny. I can't believe this is a series of books.
Josiah
Of the three books about the Stupids that I've read, this one is the best. There are some clever laughs in the simple story, and even some light-hearted food for thought, such as when Buster Stupid remarks on how their relatives live all over the place by saying, "The Stupids are everywhere." The Stupids Take Off is an entertaining read.
Samantha
The Stupid family flees their house when they receive a telegram announcing the Uncle Carbuncle plans to visit. They hop into their very own airplane and throughout their journey visit with other members of the Stupid family. Great funny read aloud.

Readalikes: Amelia Bedelia series, Dav Pilkey books
Amanda Fack
The Stupids are a hilarious family mostly because they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. But the fun is not so much mean-spirited as it is ironic and goofy. The illustrations play a large role in the humor. Excellent for the easily bored.
Kim
To avoid a visit from Uncle Carbuncle, the Stupids take off in their plane with their cat, Xylophone at the controls to visit various other Stupids. Text and illustrations work together to create gags.

themes: family, silliness, travel
Heidi
I know I read another "Stupids" book, but I can't remember if it was this one. I just remember as a teenager being surprised that there were more books using characters that I had grown up lauging at.
Magila
2.5

I though I would like this far more than I actually did. Some parents may find the overall theme and themes a bit offensive, but I'm ok with a little bit of subversive humor for the right children.
Lesley
This nonsensical book tickled my funny bone! James Marshall's illustrations are really fun in this one, too!
Andrea Wilkinson
Sometimes silly, sometimes "stupid,"...this book was funny and strange!
Sassy
Nice trip down memory lane! I loved The Stupids as a child.
Sharon
Jun 01, 2013 Sharon marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Ithought it was awesome because i love his books
Amerika Viridiana
Amerika Viridiana marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Olivia Jordan
Olivia Jordan marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Miss Nelson Is Missing! (Miss Nelson, #1) Miss Nelson Is Back (Miss Nelson, #2) Miss Nelson Has a Field Day (Miss Nelson, #3) The Stupids Step Out (The Stupids, #1) The Stupids Die (The Stupids, #3)