Start by marking “Fat, Stupid, Ugly: One Woman's Courage to Survive” as Want to Read:
Fat, Stupid, Ugly: One Woman's Courage to Survive

Fat, Stupid, Ugly: One Woman's Courage to Survive

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  105 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
In the spirit of A Child Called "It" comes an amazing story of resilience from a woman who triumphed over child abuse, cancer, and alcoholism to founder of A Place Called Home. "I began life, it would seem, as some kind of Grimm's fairy tale creature, large and oafish, undesirable, grossly imperfect. Neatly penned in my baby book were the words, 'Debbie was a fat, unattrac ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Health Communications

To ask other readers questions about Fat, Stupid, Ugly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fat, Stupid, Ugly

Samanthaa
Oct 20, 2010 Samanthaa rated it liked it
The book Fat, stupid, ugly by debrah constance is about a girl when she was small was not loved right. When her mom gave birth to her, she didnt wanted to hold her. She always lived with the name callings of fat ugly and that she was stupid. When her little sister came to the world she was the best of her mom and dad. She was intelligent and beautiful and her father would show her to everyone at work and to debrah he would hide her in the closet. Her father would sexually abuse her and physicall ...more
Stacey
Mar 18, 2009 Stacey rated it it was amazing
Wow the way that the author wrote this is awsome. This book teached me that if i ever have kids to treat them the same. Because in this book Debbies mom like her litte sister way better. The only love she gets from her parents is from her father. Be even rapes her. I think this be reads by parents , so they could learn a important lesson which is to always treat her ids the same.
Cassie ♥
Feb 06, 2009 Cassie ♥ rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
Normally, I don't just randomly pick up books at the library. Yet here was a surprise from beginning to end. I wasn't expecting her to turn homosexual after 3 husbands, many boyfriends and no seemingly interest in women. There were, also, chapters of self-promoting paragraphs of her organization.
However, I think it was an explicit and honest recounting of her childhood. A very sad one indeed!!
Carolina EVHS Quiroz
Feb 12, 2015 Carolina EVHS Quiroz rated it really liked it
Shelves:
It is a very interesting book,maybe a little sad. Debrah Constance writes this book about the verbal, physical and sexual abuse she suffered at the hands of her father. I probably wouldn't read this book again since its a bit depressing but I learned a lot about how abuse at an early age can affect you later on in life, and affect all of your decisions.
Diane Mueller
Aug 15, 2010 Diane Mueller rated it did not like it
I was told this book was the woman's version of A Child Called It. Nope not even close. Took me a long time to read because it couldn't keep my interest. Very disappointing to me but I'm not sure I would of even enjoyed it if I was reading it with A Child Called It in mind. Yes her childhood wasn't easy, bad things happened to her, bad things happened during one of her marriages. Yes she has started a great organization and I wish she had focus on it and the children there. Then maybe I would of ...more
Brittany
Nov 21, 2014 Brittany rated it liked it
I read this book when I was in 8th grade. I was going through a hard time and thought I would be able to relate to this book. While reading this book I learned a lot. People could be so cruel and not care about anyone or how they feel. When people call other people names it makes them feel bad about themselves. I thought the author made some really good points and described how her experience shaped her as a person. I think we could all learn something through this book.
Ashleigh
Mar 08, 2009 Ashleigh rated it did not like it
A fan of A Child Called It, I assumed I would enjoy Fat, Stupid, Ugly as well. Unfortunately I did not and found that though the story itself was inspiring, the execution was boring and choppy. I would not read another book by this author. If you haven't already, try reading a Child Called It, a better book in this genre.
Isabel1692
i learned that you don't have to do what your father tells you do and you should never let your husband treat you bad
Debby
Oct 02, 2013 Debby rated it really liked it
Interesting story of a woman abused by her father. A testament to resilience.
Chris cruz
Nov 18, 2010 Chris cruz rated it liked it
i heard this book is beast so u already know
Neely
May 04, 2010 Neely rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome. I laughed out loud and felt as if I knew the author. She is a true inspiration.
Jodumb Gearhart
Inspiring!
Joanne Collins
Joanne Collins marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Deborah Payne-Cook
Deborah Payne-Cook marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Lauren Sanders
Lauren Sanders marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
PHS Library
PHS Library marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Allie Cat
Allie Cat marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Elise Frank
Elise Frank marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Brittany Harrington
Brittany Harrington is currently reading it
Mar 30, 2016
Brittney
Brittney marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Desiree Watson
Desiree Watson marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2016
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Anne Northey-Sutherland
Anne Northey-Sutherland marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Jazin
Jazin marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
  • Stolen Innocence: Triumphing Over a Childhood Broken by Abuse: A Memoir
  • The White House Boys: An American Tragedy
  • Rock Me Gently: A True Story of a Convent Childhood
  • Little Madhouse on the Prairie: A True-Life Story of Overcoming Abuse and Healing the Spirit
  • The Creation of Health: The Emotional, Psychological, and Spiritual Responses That Promote Health and Healing
  • There Is an Urgency
  • Wayne: An Abused Child's Story of Courage, Survival, and Hope
  • Tell No One
  • Will Mummy Be Coming Back For Me?
  • Running from the Devil: How I Survived a Stolen Childhood
  • Where Children Run
  • Buffalo Woman Comes Singing
  • A Small Boy's Cry
  • Yoga and Psychotherapy: The Evolution of Consciousness
  • I Cried, You Didn't Listen: A Survivor's Expose of the California Youth Authority
  • Unloved: The True Story of a Stolen Childhood