Start by marking “Fat, Stupid, Ugly: One Woman's Courage to Survive” as Want to Read:
Fat, Stupid, Ugly: One Woman's Courage to Survive

Fat, Stupid, Ugly: One Woman's Courage to Survive

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In the spirit of A Child Called "It" comes an amazing story of resilience from a woman who triumphed over child abuse, cancer, and alcoholism to founder of A Place Called Home. "I began life, it would seem, as some kind of Grimm's fairy tale creature, large and oafish, undesirable, grossly imperfect. Neatly penned in my baby book were the words, 'Debbie was a fat, unattrac ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Health Communications

To ask other readers questions about Fat, Stupid, Ugly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fat, Stupid, Ugly

Samanthaa
The book Fat, stupid, ugly by debrah constance is about a girl when she was small was not loved right. When her mom gave birth to her, she didnt wanted to hold her. She always lived with the name callings of fat ugly and that she was stupid. When her little sister came to the world she was the best of her mom and dad. She was intelligent and beautiful and her father would show her to everyone at work and to debrah he would hide her in the closet. Her father would sexually abuse her and physicall ...more
Stacey
Wow the way that the author wrote this is awsome. This book teached me that if i ever have kids to treat them the same. Because in this book Debbies mom like her litte sister way better. The only love she gets from her parents is from her father. Be even rapes her. I think this be reads by parents , so they could learn a important lesson which is to always treat her ids the same.
Cassie ♥
Normally, I don't just randomly pick up books at the library. Yet here was a surprise from beginning to end. I wasn't expecting her to turn homosexual after 3 husbands, many boyfriends and no seemingly interest in women. There were, also, chapters of self-promoting paragraphs of her organization.
However, I think it was an explicit and honest recounting of her childhood. A very sad one indeed!!
Carolina EVHS Quiroz
It is a very interesting book,maybe a little sad. Debrah Constance writes this book about the verbal, physical and sexual abuse she suffered at the hands of her father. I probably wouldn't read this book again since its a bit depressing but I learned a lot about how abuse at an early age can affect you later on in life, and affect all of your decisions.
Diane Mueller
I was told this book was the woman's version of A Child Called It. Nope not even close. Took me a long time to read because it couldn't keep my interest. Very disappointing to me but I'm not sure I would of even enjoyed it if I was reading it with A Child Called It in mind. Yes her childhood wasn't easy, bad things happened to her, bad things happened during one of her marriages. Yes she has started a great organization and I wish she had focus on it and the children there. Then maybe I would of ...more
Brittany
I read this book when I was in 8th grade. I was going through a hard time and thought I would be able to relate to this book. While reading this book I learned a lot. People could be so cruel and not care about anyone or how they feel. When people call other people names it makes them feel bad about themselves. I thought the author made some really good points and described how her experience shaped her as a person. I think we could all learn something through this book.
Ashleigh
A fan of A Child Called It, I assumed I would enjoy Fat, Stupid, Ugly as well. Unfortunately I did not and found that though the story itself was inspiring, the execution was boring and choppy. I would not read another book by this author. If you haven't already, try reading a Child Called It, a better book in this genre.
Isabel1692
i learned that you don't have to do what your father tells you do and you should never let your husband treat you bad
Debby
Interesting story of a woman abused by her father. A testament to resilience.
Chris cruz
i heard this book is beast so u already know
Neely
This book was awesome. I laughed out loud and felt as if I knew the author. She is a true inspiration.
Jodumb Gearhart
Inspiring!
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Adelaida
Adelaida marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Claire Hofstetter
Claire Hofstetter marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Tiffany Losco
Tiffany Losco marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Elise
Elise marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Lorraine Vassell
Lorraine Vassell marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Sky
Sky marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Randi Walter
Randi Walter marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Michelle Keefe
Michelle Keefe marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Deresia
Deresia marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Paola
Paola marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
  • When Anger Hurts: Quieting the Storm Within
  • Unloved: The True Story of a Stolen Childhood
  • The Lost Girl
  • The Berenstain Bears Go on a Ghost Walk
  • On Beyond Bugs (Cat In The Hat's Learning Library)
  • Our Little Secret
  • Buffalo Woman Comes Singing
  • The Creation of Health: The Emotional, Psychological, and Spiritual Responses That Promote Health and Healing
  • Little Madhouse on the Prairie: A True-Life Story of Overcoming Abuse and Healing the Spirit
  • While the Locust Slept: A Memoir