Start by marking “Black Is Back (Black, #2)” as Want to Read:
Black Is Back (Black, #2)

Black Is Back (Black #2)

In this second installment in the acclaimed BLACK series, Artemus Black, Hollywood PI to the stars, dives into the rap music scene to stop a killer - with often disastrous and humorous results. Fans of hard-boiled detective fiction from Elmore Leonard, Michael Connelly and Lawrence Block will enjoy Black's trials and tribulations, all delivered with a tongue-in-cheek ...more
Published October 11th 2013 by Reprobatio Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Black Is Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Is Back

John
Jan 12, 2014 John rated it really liked it
Another amusing dose of BLACK

Artemus Black is a private detective (call him Black, only his mother would be brave enough to call him Artemus) who gets into some amusing scrapes. His business is hardly surviving, he has the receptionist from hell (who he couldn't do without), he's in poor shape, smokes, has appalling fashion sense and really doesn't understand women. Apart from that he is a pretty good PI with a heart of gold, which is one reason why he is unsuccessful.

Black's favourite form of t
Randall Morris
May 15, 2014 Randall Morris rated it it was amazing
I've read the first three books in the Black series and I'm currently working on the fourth. Black Is Back has been my favorite so far.

I love Black's interactions with his shrink. All his shrink really does is ask how things make him feel and more general questions that eventually run out the clock. I doubt it does anything for him, but he convinces himself that he feels better when he leaves. It's almost like Black's dose of therapy gives him a placebo effect to combat his anger and his problem
Cathy Ryan
Not a lot has changed in Black’s world. He’s still being needled mercilessly by Roxie, his assistant from hell, with her all black wardrobe and full sleeve tattoos. On the upside Black has managed to hang on to his girlfriend of several weeks, Sylvia. She is a good influence and Black’s anger issues have decreased.

Black, a little depressed about his upcoming 43rd birthday, is not helped by Dr Kelso making him feel crappy about not giving up smoking and drinking too much. Then, to make matters wo
Kim Cano
Oct 16, 2013 Kim Cano rated it it was amazing
In the first Black book I laughed throughout. This one's even funnier, with particularly hysterical scenes at a vegetarian restaurant, a coffee shop, and at his shrink, Dr. Kelso's office.
In book one we see Black as a guy with chronic bad luck and anger issues. In this one he's less angry, has a new rap star client, and a nice girlfriend. His character develops more in this story, and we see that he's not so bad at business after all, and happens to be a master negotiator when it comes to his ho
L
Jun 30, 2014 L rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Blake's "Black" series is fabulous! I need more and I need it now! Great characters. Black (PI), Nina (acerbic assistant), Mugsy (cat), are all people you care about. Black's mom, dad, ex-wife--people who will always be part of his life, like it or not. Even the characters central to the current mystery are real. Blake's stories are well-written, hard boiled, but with attention to character. He gives all of his people humanity, even when it's somewhat twisted. Of course there is a swell mystery ...more
Philip McClimon
Dec 07, 2014 Philip McClimon rated it liked it
Only mostly good

I read the first book. I read the second book. I will probably read the third book. It is an enjoyable series such as it is. It drags a little here and there. The whole family bar-b-q scene seemed a labor and I slogged through it. The best, most fun parts, like in the first one, are interactions between Black and his young female assistant. All in all a good time, mostly. A slice of life from a modern work a day L.A. private eye.
Gail
Jun 13, 2016 Gail rated it really liked it
Twice is Nice

Blake's characters are addictive friends. You can't help liking them, flaws and all. Despite or because of his strangely colorful associations, Black strives to be himself. He's a good guy who works hard for his money and has a distinct, if slightly warped, developed moral quality. Finding criminals just happens to be how he earns a living. That his work is often bizarre and dangerous only makes it a strong, entertaining read.
James R. Stenhouse spark
Jul 16, 2015 James R. Stenhouse spark rated it it was amazing
Ethics

That Roxie! That Black! Mugsy! &all the Good guys ...
What a group..clever and true friends... R. Russell conjuring up so many different personalities, ----
There needs to be more good here where we live........
So
Jeff
Jun 07, 2015 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another suspenseful mystery, but the best part of this novel is the humorous interaction between the main characters. And again, R. C. Bray performs
flawlessly, shaping the text perfectly. He voices each character just right. I highly recommend this series.
Luther Salonen
Aug 11, 2015 Luther Salonen rated it it was amazing
Love the series.

I love detective novels and this one does not disappoint. Also love that the language is clean and I don't have to skip over raunchy sex scenes. I will keep buying books by this author!
David
Oct 28, 2014 David rated it it was amazing
A rap star has been murdered, and someone is trying to kill his protege. Black is on the case.

Excellent mystery, hilarious dialogue, great characters. More fun than anything else I've read this year. Look forward to reading more from this author.
Karsyn
Liked the story. Like Black and Roxie wasn't as obnoxious this time. Would be 4 star books if the therapist and the mother/father/ex didn't show up. HATE his mother. His father doesn't affect anything and the therapist is scum. Black is awesome though, and the story was actually good.
Thomas M Conry
Dec 27, 2015 Thomas M Conry rated it liked it
Same song, second verse

Same corps of characters with the left-handed zingers. The ending was plausible and Black's persona deepens, if the series is read in order. Light but interesting.
Gregg
Feb 20, 2016 Gregg rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-fire
This book would have greatly benefitted from judicious editing. Shorter and less emphasis on the side stories and interactions with the supporting regular characters would have made this a much better read.
Walt Mccluskey
Aug 11, 2015 Walt Mccluskey rated it it was amazing
Black is back

A different sort of hero and tale but one that kept me interested in the next set of leads as he worked with the clues to an excellent ending. I'm not sorry I gave the author another chance and will probably try yet one more.
Wendy Pierce
Jun 28, 2016 Wendy Pierce rated it really liked it
I am really enjoying this series. I love Black's whitty humor. The back and forth he has with Roxie and Stan make me laugh. Easy to read and entertaining.
Sbeam
Mar 09, 2015 Sbeam rated it liked it
Not any better than the first one. I don't know why people like this series so much. The characters they like I find very annoying.
Marilyn
May 01, 2016 Marilyn rated it really liked it
The further I got into this book, the more I liked it. The author's sense of humour came through in the dialogue and I found myself chuckling as I read.
Phil
Phil rated it it was ok
Apr 01, 2014
Steven
Steven rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Richard Wohltman
Richard Wohltman rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2015
john kehoe
john kehoe rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2016
Vicki Rowe
Vicki Rowe rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2015
polly bowley
polly bowley rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2015
Rjo
Rjo rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
May 05, 2014
Joe Young
Joe Young rated it really liked it
May 07, 2014
Jacqui
Jacqui rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2014
Howard White
Howard White rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2015
Patt
Patt rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2015
  • Brothers of the Sword/Children of Time
  • Starship Blackbeard: The Complete Series
  • Overture to Disaster (Post Cold War Political Thriller Trilogy)
  • People Like Us
  • The Argentina Rhodochrosite (An Ainsley Walker Gemstone Travel Mystery)
  • Mass Destruction: Featuring guest appearances by Betrayed's Brandt, Davidson, and Lopez (Book 1 of the Nuclear Threat Thriller Series)
  • Evacuation Earth (Comet Clement series, #5)
  • Black Raven (Jess Williams, #27)
  • Lady Justice and the Candidate
  • The Dawn: Omnibus edition (A Dystopian Science Fiction, Post Apocalyptic Series): A dystopian Sci-Fi series
  • The Story of Atlantis and the Lost Lemuria
  • Wahoo Rhapsody (An Atticus Fish Novel, #1)
  • Moral Imperative (Corps Justice, #7)
  • Hotel Megalodon: A Deep Sea Thriller
  • PRIMAL Inception
  • The Tournament Trilogy
  • Starhold (Starhold #1)
  • Ratio (A Leopold Blake Thriller, #4)

Black (4 books)
  • Black (Black, #1)
  • Black Is The New Black (Black, #3)
  • BLACK To Reality (Black, #4)

“what other job you could fail at for years and still get paid for, other than therapist or weatherman, and maybe politician. What a racket.” 0 likes
“I’m sure he’s just out roaming around. That’s what cats do. Alley cats. Although the odds of Mugsy being able to fit into most alleys is a stretch…” 0 likes