Start by marking “Shield's Lady (Lost Colony, #3)” as Want to Read:
Shield's Lady (Lost Colony, #3)

Shield's Lady (Lost Colony #3)

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  2,576 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews
Sarianna was a cool, confident businesswoman, an outcast from the East determined to regain her rightful status. Gryph was an intense mercenary respected and feared throughout the opulent cities and savage frontiers of the West. But from the moment they met, fate made them one. Was it their destiny to be bound to a force that both captivated and frightened them?
Published January 1st 1996 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Shield's Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shield's Lady

Kathleen
Jul 22, 2013 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Written (and read) years ago by Jayne Ann Krentz / Amanda Glass, this paranormal erotic suspense involves humans on another world. The mild plot twist added some interest but did not require any real thought. Brain candy!

I liked the simplistic but plausible world Krentz built. Some more recent paranormal authors create more complicated worlds, but then do not deliver on the premise, contradicting their own creation to drive the plot. Not so in this case. Paranormal aspects include telepathy.

Ch
Carrie
SFR Reading Challenge 2011

The Lost Colony trilogy by Jayne Ann Krentz are some of her best work, imo. The writing is strong, the details and characters well-developed, and the romances satisfying. My favorite of the three is the first, Sweet Starfire, but I've enjoyed all three. (The second book is Crystal Flame). the books do not have to be read in order.

I was surprised when reading reviews for this book that so many readers had a problem with Gryph's attitude toward Sariana. Many seemed to fe
Mara
Oct 03, 2012 Mara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, futuristic
I'm not sure what I found more annoying in this book: the heroine or the heroine. Let me explain. The hero was a pure, unadulterated 100% jerk, so no saving grace. Women are chattel and vessels, nothing more. What they want, what they desire is insignificant. (The "wedding" night scene is both hilarious and horrific.)
The only way to "save him" (as a character) is teaching him a lesson. Possibly a very hard one. Unfortunately, the heroine wasn't up to par with the task. You need a kick-ass warrio
Carolyn F.
Dec 14, 2011 Carolyn F. rated it liked it
I almost gave up on this book. Sariana drove me bananas. She would say black was white just to disagree with Gryph. I don't mind a little of that but this book skated the edge.

Sariana is from the business, logical eastern provinces and moves to the western free thinking, artistic provinces to prove herself after she is not accepted in business college for being too much of a free thinker. She works for an influential family who is about to lose everything when a historical item their family has
Maria
One of my favorites in this genre (published 1989), this futuristic romance is one of Ms. Krentz's best - along with Orchid, Zinnia, and Amaryllis. It has great characters. Gryph Chassyn is a Shield with very primitive, simplistic responses in most areas of life, and Sariana Dayne is a talkative, aggressive businesswoman from the conservative East trying to adjust to the flamboyant West of the planet Windarra. Her usual humorous and prickly dialogue, a well-developed plot, and lots of ...more
Beth
Oct 05, 2012 Beth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: can-t-finish
Thankfully this was a $2 purchase.

The Shield in question ignores three messages requesting a meeting to discuss hiring him -- and she then arranges to drug, kidnap -- when that doesn't work -- she also steals his weapon kit (?) while he's still groggy -- with a plan to extort his cooperation -- and she thinks this is a reasonable business tactic? Is she insane or merely a sociopath?

Even worse -- she's just a business manager for a 'clan' of she is 'fond' of but considers flighty? Um ...excuse me
Jenny Schwartz
I enjoyed this immensely. The planetary set up intrigued me. The hero and heroine were both stubborn and blinkered and they clashed enjoyably. Adventure and rescues, heroics. I like the way Krentz includes pets in many of her novels. This was no exception.
Jadzia
Aug 17, 2014 Jadzia rated it really liked it
Shelves: s-f
The man who knows what, and more to the point - who - he wants is just what I like in my romance books. And a nervous about it - or rather him - but not a missish sort of heroine is just so much Krentz style. This book was exactly what I like in her writing.
Sabrina Jeffries
Mar 08, 2010 Sabrina Jeffries rated it it was amazing
If you're into futuristics (and a fan of Amanda Quick—this is one of her pen names), then you'll love this one. The hero is sexy and there's a mystical subplot that really touched me.
Kate McMurry
Kindle edition of a vintage Krentz futuristic/sf romance,
This Kindle edition has multiple editing problems, including missing quotation and punctuation marks, and missing paragraph separations. However, there are no typos or spelling problems.

It is several hundred years since two space ships sent forth from Earth to found colonies on the planet Windarra crash landed on separate sections of the planet. Many lives were lost due to a huge explosion caused by a destructive form of light. One ship la
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
I got Jayne Ann Krentz’s newsletter and saw where Shield’s Lady was offered as an ebook for 1.99. I had read the other two Lost Colony books Sweet Starfire and Crystal Flame. I even have a combined hardcopy of the two books but had never read Shield’s Lady so I purchased and read. All three were written in the 1980’s so are early example’s of Krentz’s futuristic writing. For me they are not as good as the St. Helen’s books and those are not as good as the Harmony/Ghost Hunter books. That said ...more
Jane Davis
I had a copy of the original book, now out of print. I foolishly gave my battered copy away. I picked up the CD version at a book sale and had hours of pleasure listening in the car. That said, it reads better than listens. The narrator is great but I find early Krentz, this one written as Amanda Glass, are better read.

Shields are a social class of men on a planet called Windarra. They have the ability to father only males and have difficulty finding women to marry. Raising males who's primary f
Farah
Aug 05, 2016 Farah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books
It took me too long to finish this book , I usually gobble up books in a few hours but this one took days , I love Jayne Ann Krentz's books but this one didn't work out for me. I wasn't very wowed by the setting and the atmosphere but then again I'm not exactly the audience for science fiction , I can see the creativity there but I just didn't like it.

Sariana annoyed me , she's childish .. hell even kids can be more mature than her , arrogant and seriously needs to get her head out of her arse
Jacqueline
Apr 24, 2010 Jacqueline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci fi romance lovers
Shelves: owned, sci-fi-romance
I've always loved this book. A pretty good sci fi romance and better than some of the more recent sci fi romances of Ms. Krentz, which seem to be blurring together recently. This was a much clearer and crisper story. The history of the colonists was clearly told as was their development over the last couple of hundred years. Gryph is very alpha which is annoying at times and I just want Sariana to bop him upside the head. Sariana is a strong resorceful heroine and stands up to him. I just want ...more
Diane ~Firefly~
I really enjoyed learning about the Western part of the world with Sariana as she fled there to escape after failing to be accepted at the University in the East. Since the two sides had only recently been re-introduced, she isn't familiar with a lot of the customs. This is a problem when a Shield takes an interest in her. (view spoiler) ...more
Kenya Wright
OH GOD HOW CAN I GET THE TIME BACK THAT I SPENT READING THIS!

If this wasn't for a course, I would have never passed chapter 2. It was a bunch of fluff. Granted, this apparently is one of the earlier examples of the Alpha male and concept of possession. I can see why people may have been excited about it in 1996. However, this book sadly did not stand the test of time.

It sucked big ole elphant balls!

And I'm not suppose to say that as a writer or author (karma and such), but I don't know how reel
Teresa Rutledge
Jul 26, 2011 Teresa Rutledge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I keep 2 copies--the original 1989 signed and a re-issue reading copy. Yes the heroine is prickly but she has never thought of love and passion in or out of marriage. Think of a Vulcan-like personality confronted with passion. She's not ready to give in and lose her autonomy. Ms. Krentz stated years ago that there wouldn't be a sequel, unfortunately. In some ways, it would be difficult to top the chemistry in this book.
Barbara Sheppard
Jan 16, 2016 Barbara Sheppard rated it it was ok
It took me too long to finish this book , I ended up skimming the last half of the book. I am a fan of Jayne Ann Krentz's books but this one didn't work out for me. I wasn't very wowed by the setting and the atmosphere. I can see the creativity there but I just didn't like it.

Overall the plot wasn't very interesting and the characters weren't appealing , it was an okay read but I wouldn't want to read it again.
Judy Goodnight
May 18, 2012 Judy Goodnight rated it really liked it
I've always liked this story set on another planet. JAK presents a plausible other world with interesting social conventions and adds a paranormal layer to the relationship between the reluctant heroine and the Shield who must have her for his ShieldMate.
Mlbane
Mar 12, 2011 Mlbane rated it it was amazing
If we could only take 10 books to a desert island for the rest of my life, this would be one of the books I would take. I read this when it first came out and more than 20 years later I still read it when I'm in the mood for a good stoty.
ms bookjunkie
What a source of the warm fuzzies! I have an urge to mark it as an old favorite, even though I just read it for the first time. Vintage Jayne Ann Krentz, early paranormal. Love! Love! Love! This is going to be a comfort read of many, many rereads…
Lisa
Oct 29, 2014 Lisa rated it it was ok
I really liked the setting of this book. The futuristic yet in some ways primitive society on an alien planet made for some interesting reading. All of the detail about the differences in the two main towns founded by the two colonization ships that got separated during landing and both thought the other had perished was fascinating and a good foundation for a story. I even liked the back story of the Shields and how their skills and past services allowed them special privileges when looking for ...more
Sheila Melo
Sep 07, 2014 Sheila Melo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, old-school
One of My Favorites

SHIELD'S LADY was first published in the 1980s under the pseudonym of Amanda Glass. I first read it then and the unique setting, story and characters appealed to me then and I found the book unforgettable. SHIELD'S LADY is a sci-fi futuristic romance set on the planet of Windarra. The planet inhabitants are settlers from earth who were stranded. The settlers were unintentionally divided during the landing between the east and the west where their societies developed separately
Crystal
Jul 26, 2013 Crystal rated it liked it
Shelves: futuristic
There was a point...where I wanted to reach through the pages and smack someone around with my mad non-existent karate skills.

You see, the book managed to not just trip, but jump up and down vigorously on a sore spot for me, namely the one where the h (I'm sure there's one out there somewhere that victimizes the H this way) finds herself married by virtue of treachery or a con job. I have a pretty good imagination, and I could see myself plotting his demise v. easily for this. Of course, this be
Lara
Jan 22, 2015 Lara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is definitely a precursor to Krentz/Castle's Harmony series. It is also something of a blend of her Quick historicals with the futuristic setting. The story also reminded me of Robin D. Owens's Celta series and I wonder if she was influenced by this book.

I've had this book for several years, but hadn't been able to get into it when I first started it. Since then I've read many of Krentz's books, and have also read several from her back list. I must say that this book has more of the fe
Paraphrodite
May 08, 2012 Paraphrodite rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
In this sci-fi oldie from JAK, we have 2 colony ships hit by lightstorms and landed on different continents. The one that landed on the East housed all the business/logical types whereas the one that landed on the West housed all the artistic/temperamental types. They lost contact with each other and the two societies evolved in different ways.

When contact between the two continents was re-established, Sariana went to the West to redeem herself when she failed to pass the Business Academy exams.
Roew1
Mar 14, 2014 Roew1 rated it really liked it
I picked up the book a couple different times when I was between books and tried to read it. I'm going to honestly say I couldn't get into. I was finally at a point where I need something to read and was waiting for another book to come in. So, I pushed way through. The first part of the book was a snorfest for me. Typical you want me, no I don't, yes you do. Maybe I do. Let's have an affair. Add in the missing prisma cutter that no one can know is missing, murdered people, and naive ways. ...more
Silver James
Shield's Lady (Lost Colony, #3) by Jayne Ann Krentz This is an oldie by Jayne Ann Krentz--one I hadn't read (listened) to before. The plot is a good one and the action is fast-paced and compelling. Griff, the hero, could totally be a book boyfriend. Sariana, the heroine? She irritated me to no end. And yes, that did take away some of my enjoyment of an otherwise cracking tale. Natalie Ross, the narrator of this audio book, is an amazing voice artist and truly enhanced the story. Jayne Ann Krentz in all her various guises is a go-to author for m ...more
Feb 02, 2011 Laura rated it it was ok
Let's just say I had super high hopes for this one. They were pretty well dashed. When I was halfway through I decided it rated 2 stars, however by the end, I bumped it up to 2.5. The end was great, once the heroine stopped being a whiny little child and grew up the book was wonderful, unfortunately it took almost the whole book for her to stop acting a child. Unfortunately, the ending was not enough to make up for the rest of it. The heroine made me think of a 3 year old who claps their hands ...more
Val Booklover
The other day, cleaning stuff, this book (and two other JAKs) reappeared and I remembered reading it back in 1997. Also remembered that I liked it very much. Having recently finished a lenghty military sci-fi that left me in a seriously bad mood, I decided to read it again.

And remembered why I liked it: It's fun!
The heroine is headstrong, witty and impetuous. The hero is the typical JAK alpha-male: dominant, arrogant, but good guy and loves her to pieces. It has adventure, romance, paranormal st
Goodreads Librari...: Add Book Cover Request 3 17 Jul 23, 2015 10:01PM
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Shield's Lady (1989) Book 3 1 1 Sep 27, 2012 11:25AM
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
  • The Star Prince (Star, #2)
  • To Tame the Hunter
  • Quicksilver (Arcane Society, #11; Looking Glass Trilogy #2)
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters degre
More about Jayne Ann Krentz...

Lost Colony (3 books)
  • Sweet Starfire (Lost Colony, #1)
  • Crystal Flame (Lost Colony, #2)