Start by marking “The New Jerusalem Bible: Standard Edition” as Want to Read:
The New Jerusalem Bible: Standard Edition

The New Jerusalem Bible: Standard Edition

This leather-bound edition contains the complete text of the regular volume, with condensed notes and introductions. Easy-to-read two column format, with a Theological Glossary containing two hundred key words and concepts. Perfect for the casual reader.
Hardcover, Standard Edition, 1424 pages
Published September 14th 1999 by Image (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The New Jerusalem Bible, please sign up.

Cherilyn You can get it as an electronic book. Which is what I have so I can make the print as large as I want it to be.

Erik Graff
Apr 22, 2008 Erik Graff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Erik by: Dennis Haas
Shelves: religion
The Jerusalem Bible was the first English bible I actually read from cover to cover while taking the introductory courses in Hebrew and Christian scriptures in college. The reason for selecting it had nothing to do with its identification as the newest Catholic bible. It had everything to do with the fact that the scholar's edition purchased had better notes and marginalia than the Oxford Revised Standard or the New English texts also recommended for class.

Unlike other Catholic bibles I've refer
7jane
Jul 26, 2015 7jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
(the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB))

This is the first of my Catholic Bibles that I have read. I quite liked it, though less than the Amplified Bible.

There is no maps, but there's a glossary, chronological table, and measurements that are helpful. Each book has a small introduction and subjects are sometimes given title within the text, which are helpful. I also like this one's size.

Some things I like less, like only giving the name-meanings of Job's three daughters (I would rather have the untranslat
Kelly
Spent months reading the bible and looking at it from a historical and literary perspective. Eye-opening stuff. This is supposedly the most accurate translation, though I did notice that in the King James (considered the most beautiful, if less accurate, translation) there is a UNICORN in psalm 22, whereas in this version it is merely a wild bull.

I'm not going to pick a rating for the bible, Goodreads.
Raoul Pop
Aug 15, 2008 Raoul Pop rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
It's the most accurate translation currently available, to my knowledge. I like to go back and forth between it and other translations like the KJV or the NIV when I don't understand something.
Mogbolahan Koya-Oyagbola
See my comments on the King James bible. I will just add that as an appreciator of literature (as opposed to a religionist) I love the lyricism of this translation. I think Tolkien of Hobbit fame translated the book of Job.
Joshua Nomen-Mutatio
I wrote a David Cross quote in the margins of Genesis when I read this translation for a class in college. What was it...oh yeah, it was regarding God resting on the seventh day: "God gets tired?? God needs a nap???"
I Read
Feb 10, 2011 I Read rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
If you are looking for modern, clear language then this in my opinion is the best bible available.

Although technically Catholic, the fact that the Church of England also approve of this version is very important to me.
Layna
Jul 11, 2008 Layna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best version of the Bible, in my opinion. It balances accuracy with beauty of writing, and is more fair to women without being politically correct in a fake way.
Denelle Swaim
Jan 04, 2013 Denelle Swaim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most people who debate the Bible's legitimacy have never actually read it. The NJB makes this task accessible to students of religion.
Kat
Dec 21, 2007 Kat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am fortunate enough to own the edition illustrated by Salvador Dali and it is exquisite - both a delight to the senses, but also so readable. Yahweh is used in the Old Testament for clarity and authenticity - I find myself going to this out-sized edition more often than a smaller King James version every time. I have this in the large edition and also in the smaller paperback. One of the reasons I was drawn to this translation is that it is directly translated from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic ...more
Jscorse
Jul 26, 2010 Jscorse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I give this 5 stars because it's necessary to real the Bible in this day and age and realize how crazy and sick it is and how if there really was a god you should do everything in your power to fight him and bring down his immoral and sick religion. That's not to say there aren't some beautiful parts or that Jesus doesn't drop a few words of wisdom here and there.

I love it when Jehovah's witnesses come to my door- they don't know what they're in for and always leave confused. That's reason enoug
Burt
Sep 10, 2007 Burt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gen-lit
The Jerusalem Bible is a contemporary English version of what started out as a French project. It is a fine translation, with some very beautiful passages. The strength of this Bible is that it works from a clean slate and employed some of the finest translators and writers in the English language. Tolkien helped a bit with it
NormaCenva
liked this pocket version a lot, some times if I was reading on the road, the text is way to small. Other that that a very good Bile and includes "Deuterocanonical":) books as well, so in the old Testament section you will get more then 66 "original" books.
Ainsley
Apr 24, 2008 Ainsley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A crisp, modern and scholarly edition of the Bible with commentary. Not as Poetic as King James or as readable as the Good News version. It's Catholic, too. Useful for those using the Bible as a reference or for those interested in the process of translating.
Tony
Aug 02, 2015 Tony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not Catholic, however, the NJB is an academically sound version. Interesting for it's emphasis on certain key words. A must own for any serious student of scripture.
Stuart
Sep 23, 2016 Stuart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read a lot of Bible translations in my 30+ years on this Earth - Catholic, Protestant, and Orthodox. There are MANY Protestant translations. Some are too stilted to read (I'm looking at you King James), and some are too casual to read (Sorry Good News Translation!). Catholics don't have that "luxury" of all the translations. The main versions I can think of are the Revised Standard (RSV) and New Revised (NRSV); New American (NAB) and New America Revised (NABRE); the Douay-Rheims (DR); and ...more
Terry
Aug 12, 2014 Terry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmm...this Bible was the one I had to buy whilst studying as a convert to the Catholic faith. I used it for the adult course and it was good to use for the material in the lessons and tutor discussion but I can't really say as a Bible to sit and read I have taken to it at all. My problems are mainly with the O.T. and the constant use of Yahweh, I can't get on with that at all. Also the psalms are nothing like the wording I grew up with. I read psalm 23 and thought " really?....."

Not for me I'm a
Judy
Actually, I couldn't find the book I have, The New Jerusalem Bible, Reader's Edition, dark green paperback. It's got no ISBN number or publication date, though the editor's forward (1989) says it is based on the much larger Regular Edition 1985.

This book is pretty large! Anyway, I like it because it has more obscure books of the bible, like Tobit (I love Tobit) and Judith (that's my real name, though I use Indira) and Esther. And all the prophets like Jonah and Habakkuk.

Though for poetry and l
Josepha
Sep 14, 2013 Josepha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Being a former catholic and having only read the children's version of the bible around the time I did my holy communion I felt it was only right to properly take the time to study the bible and assess its value. Aside from the fiction aspect it gave me a nice insight into the broad structure of patriarchy holding both the jewish and the christian faith together. So aside from the scientific and moral reasoning behind my atheism, my belief in equality between the sexes made me even stronger in m ...more
Roberto Ramírez
Ethnic cleansing! Mass murder! Infanticide! Mass rape and forced marriage! Genital mutilation! It starts off great. But Yahweh's Israelites are truly terrible people and it's hard to feel sorry for them later on in the book. In fact I saw it as a good thing Babylon put an end to their reign of terror. But then they get all fanatically passive aggressive which doesn't endear you to them any more. Jesus does lighten things up with his promise of a communist utopia, regardless of whether you have a ...more
Suguru Kaneda
To be honest, this bible is too long to read the whole book. In the history class, we read some stories from this bible, and they were pretty interesting because you can find out the contradiction and indifference point between Jewish and Christ. What we believe about the religion today is way different from what they believed in the ancient Israel. However, this bible is too heavy to carry in my bag every day, and fell down from the table for hundred times because of hugeness in size.
Sarah Mae
Dec 19, 2012 Sarah Mae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Maybe it's unfair that I'm reviewing my class rather than the Bible itself, but even as a secularist, I found reading this text and thinking hard about it to be a rather enlightening experience. Do I believe in God? Well, I don't know what kind of question that is, but honestly, I'd recommend reading this as literature.
Sherry
I know a lot of people love this translation, but I've never really "clicked" with it - I much prefer the New American Bible translation. I do use this particular bible for travelling and for workshops and the like, it's small enough to carry around easily (mostly because it doesn't include a lot of additional reference or study material).
Leah
Nov 19, 2015 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a goal of mine to read through this version of the Bible this year before the beginning of Advent - did it with 3 days to spare. it is reputedly the most accurate translation. i started on an ebook version that contain several spelling errors - aaack- was please to switch to this version. i appreciated reading the notes on the books, insightful and helpful.
Stantom
Jun 08, 2015 Stantom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have several different editions of this Bible. I primarily use the pocket edition as my lectio divina prayerbook. I have the standard edition, which I use as my home study Bible with commentaries. I have the study edition which I take to college and libraries, it is an excellent all round Bible.
Vicki
Apr 23, 2012 Vicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read two different versions of the Bible. A catholic NIV and Catholic standard. The New Jeruselum Bible is different, easy reading with lots of footnotes. Of course reading the Bible is a life long reading project. I never tire of reading the Bible.
Lisa
Jun 25, 2008 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The lower score is my opinion about how this particular translation reads. This version is better served as a study bible since it contains interesting footnotes. However, I found The Way a better translation for reading through cover to cover.
Jorizsdb
Oct 10, 2009 Jorizsdb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"walang kupas" - the word of God is alive and applies to all situation and time. i continue to read, reflect and share the word of God for a simple reason, "we need it in our life and we will continue to treasure it UP there; so better warm up!"
Didymus
Nov 22, 2014 Didymus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scripture, wisdom, 2016
Probably my favorite or second-favorite (after the RSV-CE) translation of Sacred Scripture. I especially like this "Standard Edition" which is eminently readable, having minimal footnotes. An excellent edition for prayer and lectio divina.
Adam
Nov 07, 2009 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A slightly more dynamic translation which does not include any footnotes or reference material to clutter up the page. A terrific translation to use for prayerful inspiration and engaging in "armchair theology."
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The New Interpreter's Study Bible: New Revised Standard Version With the Apocrypha
  • The Gospel According to John I-XII (Anchor Bible Series, Vol 29)
  • Ignatius Catholic Study Bible: New Testament
  • A Marginal Jew: Rethinking the Historical Jesus, Volume II - Mentor, Message, and Miracles
  • What the Koran Really Says
  • The Poems of St John of the Cross
  • The Five Gospels: What Did Jesus Really Say? The Search for the Authentic Words of Jesus
  • Genesis: Interpretation: A Bible Commentary for Teaching and Preaching
  • The New Testament in Modern English
  • Christianity for Modern Pagans: Pascal's Pensées - Edited, Outlined & Explained
  • The Oxford Illustrated History of Christianity (Oxford Illustrated Histories)
  • The Complete Gospels: Annotated Scholar's Version
  • Vatican Council II: The Conciliar and Postconciliar Documents
  • Selected Works
  • One Step Closer: Why U2 Matters to Those Seeking God
  • The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha: Apocalyptic Literature and Testaments
  • Kamikaze Diaries: Reflections of Japanese Student Soldiers
  • Mary: The Church at the Source
Born Joseph Henry Wansbrough, the Very Reverend Dom Henry Wansbrough, OSB, MA (Oxon), STL (Fribourg), LSS (Rome), is an English biblical scholar and a monk of Ampleforth Abbey, England.

He was General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible. He has written twenty books, more than sixty articles, around ninety book reviews, an edition of the Synoptic Gospels, with an accompanying textbook, for 'A'-Level s
More about Henry Wansbrough...