Start by marking “Holy Bible: New Jerusalem Bible (NJB)” as Want to Read:
Holy Bible: New Jerusalem Bible (NJB)

Holy Bible: New Jerusalem Bible (NJB)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  257 ratings  ·  40 reviews
This leather-bound edition contains the complete text of the regular volume, with condensed notes and introductions. Easy-to-read two column format, with a Theological Glossary containing two hundred key words and concepts. Perfect for the casual reader.
Hardcover, Standard Edition, 1424 pages
Published September 14th 1999 by Image (first published January 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Holy Bible, please sign up.

Jessie Formosa I OWN A JERUSALEM BIBLE BUIT IT IS IN VERY SMALL PRINT AND FIND IT DIFFICULT TO READ NOWADAYS

Erik Graff
Oct 31, 2014 Erik Graff rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Erik by: Dennis Haas
Shelves: religion
The Jerusalem Bible was the first English bible I actually read from cover to cover while taking the introductory courses in Hebrew and Christian scriptures in college. The reason for selecting it had nothing to do with its identification as the newest Catholic bible. It had everything to do with the fact that the scholar's edition purchased had better notes and marginalia than the Oxford Revised Standard or the New English texts also recommended for class.

Unlike other Catholic bibles I've refer
Jscorse
I give this 5 stars because it's necessary to real the Bible in this day and age and realize how crazy and sick it is and how if there really was a god you should do everything in your power to fight him and bring down his immoral and sick religion. That's not to say there aren't some beautiful parts or that Jesus doesn't drop a few words of wisdom here and there.

I love it when Jehovah's witnesses come to my door- they don't know what they're in for and always leave confused. That's reason enoug
Raoul
It's the most accurate translation currently available, to my knowledge. I like to go back and forth between it and other translations like the KJV or the NIV when I don't understand something.
Layna
Best version of the Bible, in my opinion. It balances accuracy with beauty of writing, and is more fair to women without being politically correct in a fake way.
Kat
I am fortunate enough to own the edition illustrated by Salvador Dali and it is exquisite - both a delight to the senses, but also so readable. Yahweh is used in the Old Testament for clarity and authenticity - I find myself going to this out-sized edition more often than a smaller King James version every time. I have this in the large edition and also in the smaller paperback. One of the reasons I was drawn to this translation is that it is directly translated from the Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic ...more
Pawel Kowalczyk
Bible in English...this drama's been going on for over 600 years with one really nasty twist to it called Henry VIII...
As a person not born in an English speaking country I was quite surprised that there's so many different translations, I was also surprised how much of Henry VIII's “I do what I want” attitude is still very much alive in this very delicate subject.
When I started researching and looking for the most reliable translation in English The Jerusalem Bible wasn't even mentioned on thos
Kelly
Spent months reading the bible and looking at it from a historical and literary perspective. Eye-opening stuff. This is supposedly the most accurate translation, though I did notice that in the King James (considered the most beautiful, if less accurate, translation) there is a UNICORN in psalm 22, whereas in this version it is merely a wild bull.

I'm not going to pick a rating for the bible, Goodreads.
Terry
Hmm...this Bible was the one I had to buy whilst studying as a convert to the Catholic faith. I used it for the adult course and it was good to use for the material in the lessons and tutor discussion but I can't really say as a Bible to sit and read I have taken to it at all. My problems are mainly with the O.T. and the constant use of Yahweh, I can't get on with that at all. Also the psalms are nothing like the wording I grew up with. I read psalm 23 and thought " really?....."

Not for me I'm a
Mogbolahan Koya-Oyagbola
See my comments on the King James bible. I will just add that as an appreciator of literature (as opposed to a religiousnist) I love the lyricism of this translation. I think Tolkien of Hobbit fame translated the book of Job.
Joshua Nomen-Mutatio
I wrote a David Cross quote in the margins of Genesis when I read this translation for a class in college. What was it...oh yeah, it was regarding God resting on the seventh day: "God gets tired?? God needs a nap???"
I Read
If you are looking for modern, clear language then this in my opinion is the best bible available.

Although technically Catholic, the fact that the Church of England also approve of this version is very important to me.
Yann
La bible de Jérusalem renferme d'une part l'ancien testament, c'est à dire le pentateuque, les cinq livres sacrés du judaïsme, et un ensemble de livres d'histoire, de sagesse, de poèmes et de prophéties, et d'autre part le nouveau testament, relatif au témoignages des œuvres et miracles de Jésus Christ. La quantité de références à cet ouvrage dans notre civilisation font qu'il est difficile, même au plus rétif face à la superstition, de l'ignorer, sans en payer le prix par le risque de manquer i ...more
Kenton Schassberger
The Hard Back with indents for books made it easy, but the hard cover in the case is the one made in the late 1970's. The one before this one by original publisher.
Indira
Actually, I couldn't find the book I have, The New Jerusalem Bible, Reader's Edition, dark green paperback. It's got no ISBN number or publication date, though the editor's forward (1989) says it is based on the much larger Regular Edition 1985.

This book is pretty large! Anyway, I like it because it has more obscure books of the bible, like Tobit (I love Tobit) and Judith (that's my real name, though I use Indira) and Esther. And all the prophets like Jonah and Habakkuk.

Though for poetry and l
Josepha
Being a former catholic and having only read the children's version of the bible around the time I did my holy communion I felt it was only right to properly take the time to study the bible and assess its value. Aside from the fiction aspect it gave me a nice insight into the broad structure of patriarchy holding both the jewish and the christian faith together. So aside from the scientific and moral reasoning behind my atheism, my belief in equality between the sexes made me even stronger in m ...more
Sherry
I know a lot of people love this translation, but I've never really "clicked" with it - I much prefer the New American Bible translation. I do use this particular bible for travelling and for workshops and the like, it's small enough to carry around easily (mostly because it doesn't include a lot of additional reference or study material).
Louise
This is my second favourite bible and as others have said I love it for its lyricism. Much of it reads as beautiful poetry. I am very drawn to its use of Jaweh instead Lord.
Sarah Mae
Maybe it's unfair that I'm reviewing my class rather than the Bible itself, but even as a secularist, I found reading this text and thinking hard about it to be a rather enlightening experience. Do I believe in God? Well, I don't know what kind of question that is, but honestly, I'd recommend reading this as literature.
Burt
The Jerusalem Bible is a contemporary English version of what started out as a French project. It is a fine translation, with some very beautiful passages. The strength of this Bible is that it works from a clean slate and employed some of the finest translators and writers in the English language. Tolkien helped a bit with it
Vicki
I have read two different versions of the Bible. A catholic NIV and Catholic standard. The New Jeruselum Bible is different, easy reading with lots of footnotes. Of course reading the Bible is a life long reading project. I never tire of reading the Bible.
Ainsley
A crisp, modern and scholarly edition of the Bible with commentary. Not as Poetic as King James or as readable as the Good News version. It's Catholic, too. Useful for those using the Bible as a reference or for those interested in the process of translating.
NormaCenva
liked this pocket version a lot, some times if I was reading on the road, the text is way to small. Other that that a very good Bile and includes "Deuterocanonical":) books as well, so in the old Testament section you will get more then 66 "original" books.
Jorizsdb
"walang kupas" - the word of God is alive and applies to all situation and time. i continue to read, reflect and share the word of God for a simple reason, "we need it in our life and we will continue to treasure it UP there; so better warm up!"
Lisa
The lower score is my opinion about how this particular translation reads. This version is better served as a study bible since it contains interesting footnotes. However, I found The Way a better translation for reading through cover to cover.
Adam
A slightly more dynamic translation which does not include any footnotes or reference material to clutter up the page. A terrific translation to use for prayerful inspiration and engaging in "armchair theology."
Dawn Kaczmar
Great translation, easy to read one column text, ample and informative footnotes that are only moderately influenced from an obviously Catholic perspective. This is a fantastic edition.
Brandi
so i didn't read every single page, but i read a damn lot of it. the torah, complete deuteronomic history, plus some kings, prophets, and gospels from the new testament.

the end.
Rachelle Peterson
I realized that the King James was missing a lot of books...Like The books of Maccabees, Judith, Tobit,etc...and easy to understand in todays English.
Kerry
This bible has one of the most well-recognized direct translations from Greek and Hebrew. If you are serious about Bible study, I recommend it.

Denelle Swaim
Most people who debate the Bible's legitimacy have never actually read it. The NJB makes this task accessible to students of religion.
  • Ignatius Catholic Study Bible: New Testament
  • A Marginal Jew: Rethinking the Historical Jesus, Vol. 2 - Mentor, Message, and Miracles
  • The Five Gospels: What Did Jesus Really Say? The Search for the Authentic Words of Jesus
  • The Poems of St John of the Cross
  • New Revised Standard Version New Interpreter's Study Bible: New Revised Standard Version with Apocrypha (Hardcover with Dust Jacket)
  • The New Testament in Modern English
  • Septuagint with Apocrypha
  • The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha, Vol. 1: Apocalyptic Literature and Testaments
  • Christianity for Modern Pagans: Pascal's Pensées - Edited, Outlined & Explained
  • Why I Am Not a Muslim
  • Prayer
  • Markings
  • Luke for Everyone
  • Strong's Exhaustive Concordance to the Bible: Updated Version
  • Did the Greeks Believe in Their Myths?
  • The Birth of the Messiah
  • The Complete Gospels: Annotated Scholar's Version
  • From the Library of C. S. Lewis: Selections from Writers Who Influenced His Spiritual Journey (Writers' Palette Book)
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights The Epic of Gilgamesh Holy Bible: New International Version The Quran