Maigret and the Nahour Case

Maigret and the Nahour Case (Maigret #65)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  9 reviews
When Maigret receives an urgent call from his friend Dr. Pardon he responds immediately, despite the late hour; it seems that the doctor has just treated an apparently wealthy woman for a suspicious gunshot wound, but before he could notify the authorities she diappeared with her companion. The doctor's story gains some perspective when the same woman turns up at the house...more
Published January 1st 1983 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt P (first published January 1st 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Maigret and the Nahour Case, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maigret and the Nahour Case

Phillip Kay
Maigret and the Nahour Case was first published as Maigret et l’affaire Nahour in 1976. It was translated by Alastair Hamilton. Maigret’s friend Doctor Pardon has treated a woman who has been shot, but the woman and her companion have vanished. Then he is called in to investigate a murder. A wealthy Lebanese gambler, Monsieur Nahour, has been murdered, but everyone connected to this case seems determined to hide information. Maigret must decide whether the two shootings are connected.

The details...more
Paleomichi
La storia è senza dubbio bella e costruita bene. Come in molti suoi romanzi Simenon racconta una Parigi e una classe sociale particolari, in questo caso i ricchi stranieri, e i casinò. Bellissima come sempre l'analisi e la reazione di Maigret di fronte a questa realtà. Bellissima la Parigi innevata e irreale raccontata.
Però ho trovato in questa storia qualcosa di estremamente torbido. Uno dei personaggi in particolare mi ha profondamente colpita, in modo negativo, e il finale (soprattutto l'ulti...more
alessandra falca
Riprendere a leggere dopo un periodo di pausa durato vari mesi.
Ripartire con Maigret forse è il migliore dei modi.
L'occasione me l'ha data "Il Sole 24 Ore" che per varie settimane farà uscire in edicola Simenon. Credo che per un po' continuerò con lui, visto che non l'ho mai letto, (forse 1/2) in gioventù, ed è una lacuna che da tempo intendevo colmare.
Al primo caso: il caso del libanese, rimango sulle due stelle. Seguo il commissario di pari passo e mi affeziono più a lui che alla storia. Ve...more
Raluca
Nice reading.
Antonio Fini
Le quattro stelle sono dovute. Un Simenon evidentemente non al meglio, nel 1966, dopo trent'anni di Maigret, che però riesce lo stesso a produrre un libro che molti vorrebbero saper scrivere!
Come si dice alla francese: chapeau!
E poi nei libri di Simenon c'è sempre un personaggio "speciale". Secondo me in questo è Lina, la moglie infelice, causa di tutti gli avvenimenti... La delicatezza e l'efficacia di Simenon nel descrivere certi personaggi femminili sono stupefacenti.
Dvora
Nope, didn't remember a thing. I could swear I have never read this book before in spite of the fact that it was sitting on the shelf with books I HAVE read. Anyway, I like all the Inspector Maigrets but I like some more than others -- I suppose those are the ones with characters that especially appeal to me or where I get the feeling that I'm THERE (like with My Friend Maigret) and this one was neither, but good nevertheless.
Thomas
This wasn't a BAD novel, it's just that it's a phenomenally nutless wonder of a book. It was all sort of polite and cozy, which I guess is why they call them "cozies." As a procedural, it's too methodical, and as a mystery, it's not that mysterious. There's no on-stage violence; it's all just sort of...bland. A fine read, but nothing to remember. Sort of feels like a wasted two hours, though not unpleasantly wasted.
Sara
My memory of this is that, like the Calame report, this one has a complicated plot with lots of allusions to politics and diplomacy. Interesting but doesn't always make for the most entertaining read.
Kim
My first Simenon and I was expecting much more. Very bland.
Catherine Wallace
Catherine Wallace marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Susan Rand
Susan Rand marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Paulo Muller
Paulo Muller marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Manuel
Manuel marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Mariana-Melania
Mariana-Melania marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Simenon was one of the most prolific writers of the twentieth century, capable of writing 60 to 80 pages per day. His oeuvre includes nearly 200 novels, over 150 novellas, several autobiographical works, numerous articles, and scores of pulp novels written under more than two dozen pseudonyms. Altogether, about 550 million copies of his works have been printed.

He is best known, however, for his 75...more
More about Georges Simenon...
The Man Who Watched Trains Go By Dirty Snow The Yellow Dog Maigret and the Enigmatic Lett The Strangers in the House