Start by marking “Maigret and the Nahour Case” as Want to Read:
Maigret and the Nahour Case

Maigret and the Nahour Case (Maigret #65)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  146 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
When Maigret receives an urgent call from his friend Dr. Pardon he responds immediately, despite the late hour; it seems that the doctor has just treated an apparently wealthy woman for a suspicious gunshot wound, but before he could notify the authorities she diappeared with her companion. The doctor's story gains some perspective when the same woman turns up at the house ...more
Published December 31st 1983 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt P (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Maigret and the Nahour Case, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maigret and the Nahour Case

Tony
Jul 21, 2016 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
MAIGRET AND THE NAHOUR CASE. (1967). Georges Simenon. ****.
An excellent Maigret mystery. To avoid any spoilers, I’ll quote from the front flap: “Inspector Maigret is awakened in the middle of the night by a telephone call from his old friend Dr. Pardon. An agitated Pardon reports that he has just treated an elegantly dressed woman, accompanied by a foreign gentleman, for a minor bullet wound. Meanwhile in another part of Paris the body of Felix Nahour, a professional gambler, is found. As Maigre
Dvora
Jul 22, 2012 Dvora rated it liked it
Shelves: france
Nope, didn't remember a thing. I could swear I have never read this book before in spite of the fact that it was sitting on the shelf with books I HAVE read. Anyway, I like all the Inspector Maigrets but I like some more than others -- I suppose those are the ones with characters that especially appeal to me or where I get the feeling that I'm THERE (like with My Friend Maigret) and this one was neither, but good nevertheless.
Phillip Kay
Maigret and the Nahour Case was first published as Maigret et l’affaire Nahour in 1976. It was translated by Alastair Hamilton. Maigret’s friend Doctor Pardon has treated a woman who has been shot, but the woman and her companion have vanished. Then he is called in to investigate a murder. A wealthy Lebanese gambler, Monsieur Nahour, has been murdered, but everyone connected to this case seems determined to hide information. Maigret must decide whether the two shootings are connected.

The details
Mikee
Aug 31, 2015 Mikee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maigret, mystery, simenon
Sweet. A murder, to be sure, but also a shooting. A twisted story, but believable. Maigret tries to solve the crime but also to shield the involved but innocent. In the latter he is not successful. He feels dirty.

This is number 65 out of 75 Maigret novels. That means I have read 65 out of 75 Maigret novels. What will I do when I have read them all? Simple. Read them again!
Paleomichi
May 05, 2011 Paleomichi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maigret, gialli
La storia è senza dubbio bella e costruita bene. Come in molti suoi romanzi Simenon racconta una Parigi e una classe sociale particolari, in questo caso i ricchi stranieri, e i casinò. Bellissima come sempre l'analisi e la reazione di Maigret di fronte a questa realtà. Bellissima la Parigi innevata e irreale raccontata.
Però ho trovato in questa storia qualcosa di estremamente torbido. Uno dei personaggi in particolare mi ha profondamente colpita, in modo negativo, e il finale (soprattutto l'ulti
alessandra falca
Riprendere a leggere dopo un periodo di pausa durato vari mesi.
Ripartire con Maigret forse è il migliore dei modi.
L'occasione me l'ha data "Il Sole 24 Ore" che per varie settimane farà uscire in edicola Simenon. Credo che per un po' continuerò con lui, visto che non l'ho mai letto, (forse 1/2) in gioventù, ed è una lacuna che da tempo intendevo colmare.
Al primo caso: il caso del libanese, rimango sulle due stelle. Seguo il commissario di pari passo e mi affeziono più a lui che alla storia. Ve
Raluca
Apr 03, 2014 Raluca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Nice reading.
Antonio Fini
Jan 09, 2011 Antonio Fini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Le quattro stelle sono dovute. Un Simenon evidentemente non al meglio, nel 1966, dopo trent'anni di Maigret, che però riesce lo stesso a produrre un libro che molti vorrebbero saper scrivere!
Come si dice alla francese: chapeau!
E poi nei libri di Simenon c'è sempre un personaggio "speciale". Secondo me in questo è Lina, la moglie infelice, causa di tutti gli avvenimenti... La delicatezza e l'efficacia di Simenon nel descrivere certi personaggi femminili sono stupefacenti.
Thomas
Jul 14, 2010 Thomas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, read-in-2010
This wasn't a BAD novel, it's just that it's a phenomenally nutless wonder of a book. It was all sort of polite and cozy, which I guess is why they call them "cozies." As a procedural, it's too methodical, and as a mystery, it's not that mysterious. There's no on-stage violence; it's all just sort of...bland. A fine read, but nothing to remember. Sort of feels like a wasted two hours, though not unpleasantly wasted.
John
Oct 19, 2015 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four and a half stars.

Another really atmospheric tale from Simenon. The fact that the ending was , I thought, a little sudden and just slightly unsatisfactory stopped me from giving it five stars. The rest of it was, as usual, a masterpiece of descriptive writing.

I don't know of any other writer who can say so much in so few pages.

Brilliant!!!
Sara
Nov 07, 2010 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My memory of this is that, like the Calame report, this one has a complicated plot with lots of allusions to politics and diplomacy. Interesting but doesn't always make for the most entertaining read.
Kim
Nov 19, 2010 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My first Simenon and I was expecting much more. Very bland.
Sarah Thomas
Sarah Thomas rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Vamia Ramal
Vamia Ramal rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Gubi
Gubi rated it it was ok
Jun 26, 2016
Vincenzo Fidomanzo
Vincenzo Fidomanzo rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Nadiamant
Nadiamant rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Verovsky Brandão
Verovsky Brandão marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Roni Knell
Roni Knell marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Aldrin
Aldrin marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Vierblij
Vierblij rated it liked it
May 20, 2016
Katia Ibarra
Katia Ibarra rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Jacek
Jacek added it
May 09, 2016
Rwtor
Rwtor rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2016
Aumonier
Aumonier rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Retribution (Lew Fonesca, #2)
  • Death in Sardinia
  • That Day the Rabbi Left Town
  • Bloody Passage
  • Murder in the Central Committee
  • Undiplomatic Murder (Capital Crimes #27)
  • Prescription For Murder (Murder, She Wrote #39)
Simenon was one of the most prolific writers of the twentieth century, capable of writing 60 to 80 pages per day. His oeuvre includes nearly 200 novels, over 150 novellas, several autobiographical works, numerous articles, and scores of pulp novels written under more than two dozen pseudonyms. Altogether, about 550 million copies of his works have been printed.

He is best known, however, for his 75
More about Georges Simenon...

Maigret (1 - 10 of 75 books)
  • Pietr the Latvian (Maigret, #1)
  • The Carter of 'La Providence' (Maigret, #2)
  • The Late Monsieur Gallet (Maigret, #3)
  • The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien (Maigret, #4)
  • A Man's Head (Maigret #5)
  • The Yellow Dog (Maigret #6)
  • The Night at the Crossroads (Maigret #7)
  • A Crime in Holland (Maigret #8)
  • The Grand Banks Café (Maigret, #9)
  • The Dancer at the Gai-Moulin (Maigret #10)