Start by marking “My Favorite Science Fiction Story” as Want to Read:
My Favorite Science Fiction Story

My Favorite Science Fiction Story

A truly unique volume, seminal science fiction stories by some of the genre's all-time greats, specifically chosen by many of the top names in science fiction today as the stories which influenced their own careers. Included are new pieces written especially for this volume explaining each author's choice of story and how it influenced his or her work.
Contents:
* The Man Wh
Published October 1st 2005 by iBooks (first published March 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about My Favorite Science Fiction Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Favorite Science Fiction Story

Conor
May 10, 2014 Conor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-anthologies
You know an anthology is really good when you're interested in chasing down all the authors involved.

But let me back up a step; this is a collection of stories that were chosen by science fiction writers as their favorite. With the specific goal of producing a collection of stories that were captivating, inspiring, and haunting...and it worked.

A bonus for me was the fact that I've never read many of the authors, but I'd be surprised if I were to research the stories and not find evidence of them
Lee
Sep 09, 2016 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first discovered compilations of science fiction short stories when I was in high school, and I've never grown tired of them -- especially those edited by Isaac Asimov and/or Martin H. Greenberg.

This particular compilation differs from most of the others. Each story included in this volume was selected as "my favorite science fiction story" by a particular well-known science fiction author (authors did not choose their own stories.) As a result of this selection process, the stories included e
Clint
May 29, 2009 Clint rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't really remember there being a bad storiy in here, though the first one, by Theodore Sturgeon, had a kind of annoying narrative voice. Everything in here was creative, well written, and unpredictable. I never really liked science fiction until kind of recently, so all these cool ideas are still kind of new to me. And this book, just like almost every other book I've ever read, is better than anything by Haruki Murakami.
Feb 08, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: laura
Being a collection, this obviously had many different stories - some of which I liked and some of which I didn't. The first handful of stories in particular seemed to be more about technique than substance. But it was very interesting to see which stories famous SF authors had picked as their favorites. And it was nice that they included a paragraph describing why. Kudos on a good gimmick.
Emilymcmc
Aug 04, 2012 Emilymcmc rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of wonderful midcentury SF, including the original short-story form of "Nerves," by Lester Del Rey, which is a memorable reading experience.
Kari
May 17, 2013 Kari rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Creative, entertaining book that could be used for teaching Common Core Standard RL 8.2.
Fibromiteraye
Fibromiteraye marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Douglas
Douglas is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2016
Linda
Linda added it
Mar 20, 2016
Alexander
Alexander rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Laranna Knight
Laranna Knight marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Andy
Andy added it
Aug 11, 2016
Albert Kivak
Albert Kivak rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2015
Tim
Tim added it
Oct 26, 2015
DB in Richmond
DB in Richmond marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Doug
Doug added it
Aug 14, 2015
BluePanda
BluePanda rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2015
William Martin
William Martin rated it liked it
May 26, 2015
Charles
Charles is currently reading it
Jan 17, 2015
Dani Sigman
Dani Sigman marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Rt
Rt added it
Dec 19, 2014
Chad
Chad added it
Jul 20, 2014
Scott Baseler
Scott Baseler marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
John Adkins
John Adkins marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Rose Ann
Rose Ann marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Martin Harry Greenberg was an American academic and speculative fiction anthologist. In all, he compiled 1,298 anthologies and commissioned over 8,200 original short stories. He founded Tekno Books, a packager of more than 2000 published books. In addition, he was a co-founder of the Sci-Fi Channel.
More about Martin H. Greenberg...