My Favorite Science Fiction Story

My Favorite Science Fiction Story

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A truly unique volume, seminal science fiction stories by some of the genre's all-time greats, specifically chosen by many of the top names in science fiction today as the stories which influenced their own careers. Included are new pieces written especially for this volume explaining each author's choice of story and how it influenced his or her work.
Contents:
* The Man Wh...more
Published October 1st 2005 by iBooks (first published March 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about My Favorite Science Fiction Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Favorite Science Fiction Story

Conor
You know an anthology is really good when you're interested in chasing down all the authors involved.

But let me back up a step; this is a collection of stories that were chosen by science fiction writers as their favorite. With the specific goal of producing a collection of stories that were captivating, inspiring, and haunting...and it worked.

A bonus for me was the fact that I've never read many of the authors, but I'd be surprised if I were to research the stories and not find evidence of them...more
Clint
I don't really remember there being a bad storiy in here, though the first one, by Theodore Sturgeon, had a kind of annoying narrative voice. Everything in here was creative, well written, and unpredictable. I never really liked science fiction until kind of recently, so all these cool ideas are still kind of new to me. And this book, just like almost every other book I've ever read, is better than anything by Haruki Murakami.
Feb 08, 2011 Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: laura
Being a collection, this obviously had many different stories - some of which I liked and some of which I didn't. The first handful of stories in particular seemed to be more about technique than substance. But it was very interesting to see which stories famous SF authors had picked as their favorites. And it was nice that they included a paragraph describing why. Kudos on a good gimmick.
Emilymcmc
Lots of wonderful midcentury SF, including the original short-story form of "Nerves," by Lester Del Rey, which is a memorable reading experience.
Kari
Creative, entertaining book that could be used for teaching Common Core Standard RL 8.2.
Chad
Chad added it
Jul 20, 2014
Scott Baseler
Scott Baseler marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
John Adkins
John Adkins marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Rose Ann
Rose Ann marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2013
Monica Madaus
Monica Madaus marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2013
Amanda
Amanda added it
Sep 29, 2013
Skr
Skr marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
JimGeary
JimGeary marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2013
Thezog
Thezog added it
Jun 27, 2013
Faizan
Faizan is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2013
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2013
Dave Newton
Dave Newton marked it as to-read
May 24, 2013
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2013
Hestia
Hestia marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Martin Harry Greenberg was an American academic and speculative fiction anthologist. In all, he compiled 1,298 anthologies and commissioned over 8,200 original short stories. He founded Tekno Books, a packager of more than 2000 published books. In addition, he was a co-founder of the Sci-Fi Channel.
More about Martin H. Greenberg...
The Dean Koontz Companion Foundation's Friends Murder in Baker Street: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes Sherlock Holmes in America The Further Adventures of Batman