Start by marking “Two Turtle Doves: A Memoir of Making Things” as Want to Read:
Two Turtle Doves: A Memoir of Making Things

Two Turtle Doves: A Memoir of Making Things

Revealing how a small curious boy in Suffolk turned into an internationally famous jewellery designer Two Turtle Doves is the story of a life spent making things.

Growing up in 1970s Suffolk in a crumbling giant of a house with wild, tangled gardens, Alex Monroe was left to wreak havoc by invention. Without visible parental influence, but with sisters to love him and brothe
Published March 13th 2014 by Bloomsbury Circus

To ask other readers questions about Two Turtle Doves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Turtle Doves

Martin Turner
Feb 23, 2014 Martin Turner rated it really liked it
As this is an ARC, the actual copy that I have read is a paperback edition of this forthcoming hardback (set for release on 13 March 2014). This is the story of a well known jeweller and how he goes about his business intertwined with autobiographical extracts from his years of adolescence into early adulthood. It doesn't sound particularly enthralling, but the author/jeweller (whilst himself admitting that he has had help with the writing) seems to be a natural in the skill of storytelling. He ...more
Mary
Apr 24, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
Drawn to this book because it was about a metal smith, I found the stories of Monroe growing up in rural England enchanting. The parents practiced benign neglect, so common in the '70's. The boys were able to build all sorts of contraptions from crossbows to bicycles. Initially I found Monroe's jewelry too fiddly and delicate. After reading the book, I'd quite like one of his bee pendants. I also learned how Indian artists create such delicate, filigreed work.
Louise Smith
Dec 02, 2014 Louise Smith rated it it was amazing
I thought this book would be interesting from the point of view of jewelry design and construction, but it was so much more. It was a beautiful telling of a childhood in all its joys and fears and the process of growing to maturity as a person and as an artist. It's quite well written and a real inspiration. I recommend it without reservation.
Lynne Easy
Aug 31, 2014 Lynne Easy rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, a touch of Swallows & Amazons relating to the childhood stories and totally related to the freedom of growing up in the 70's although Alex was far more dangerous than me. Great mix of childhood memories and then story of Alex's struggle to become a jewellery designer.
Bianca Nogrady
May 23, 2014 Bianca Nogrady rated it really liked it
This is a delightful book. I felt like I was perched on Monroe's shoulder as he worked, listening to his thoughts, riffling through his memories and watching him distill a little part of himself into his jewellery. This book really was an unexpected gem.
Tina Todd
Nov 16, 2015 Tina Todd rated it it was amazing
I always like to read books set in areas I am familiar with. This one had the added interest of a man showing how his past has shaped his present and also influences what he makes.
Tessa L roberts
May 08, 2014 Tessa L roberts rated it it was amazing
Considering I'm not usually a fan of non-fiction, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is beautifully written and reads like a bed-time story rather than an auto-biography.
Shelley
Shelley rated it did not like it
Nov 07, 2016
Hanna Lodge
Hanna Lodge rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Debbie
Debbie rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2014
Joy Whyte
Joy Whyte rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2015
Liz Nevey
Liz Nevey rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2015
Sandra
Sandra rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2014
Laurie B-W
Laurie B-W rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2015
Cecilia Sharpley
Cecilia Sharpley rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Roelf
Roelf rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it it was ok
Nov 17, 2014
Birnita Kruysmulder-billing
Birnita Kruysmulder-billing rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2015
Laura Macdonald
Laura Macdonald rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Daniela Musarella-Kelley
Daniela Musarella-Kelley rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2015
Ali Haley
Ali Haley rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2014
PAMELA WATERS
PAMELA WATERS rated it it was ok
Jul 07, 2014
Sarah rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2015
Hannah Love
Hannah Love rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2015
Naomi
Naomi rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Leia
Leia rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2015
Alison Osborne
Alison Osborne rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016