Mouseheart

Mouseheart

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The Warriors series meets Redwall in this first book in an epic animal adventure series set in the subway tunnels of Brooklyn.

Hopper is just an ordinary pet shop mouse before he escapes. Soon he finds himself below the bustling streets of Brooklyn, deep within the untamed tangles of transit tunnels, and in Atlantia, a glorious utopian rat civilization.

But all is not what i...more
Published May 20th 2014 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

Jennifer Donovan
Loved this book! It did not draw me immediately in, but by page 40 or so, it was an exciting read.

I requested it from Amazon Vine to review because it's described as Redwall meets the Warriors. My 4th grade son is currently totally into the Warriors series, so I hoped he might read it. After he looked at it, he wasn't dying to read it, but after I finished it, I told him that he definitely needs to read it.

This book is exciting -- culminating in an epic battle -- but it also plumbs deeper themes...more
Karissa
I got a copy of this book from Amazon Vine for review. It looked like an interesting middle grade fantasy adventure featuring animals. It ended up being a pretty run of the mill "pet shop mouse finds a world bigger than he knew and finds his courage to help stop a dastardly rat from ruining the lives of other mice" type of book.

Hopper is just your typical petshop mouse until he is almost fed to a snake. Then Hopper and two of his siblings escape and are swept underground to the world of Atlantia...more
Ms. Yingling
Hopper lives in a pet shop with his sibling Pup and Pinkie. They miss their mother (whose parting words were "Find the mews") but figure they are going to homes eventually. One day, a boy comes in with a snake, and they realize they are to be sold as snake chow, so they escape. They end up in the train tunnels under Brooklyn and are soon separated. Hopper is rescued by Zucker, who is the son of the king of Atlantia. Everyone who meets Hopper is a bit in awe of him, and he soon realizes that he b...more
Brenda
Mouseheart has a lot of action and Fiedler doesn't hold back on some squirmy moments. There is one scene early on where prince Zucker crashes a gate down on a mean cat named Cyclone causing him to lose an eye. There is also lots of tense moments when Hopper, Pinkie and Pup are about to be sold to a boy as food for his pet snake. It really grabs your attention. I really liked the earlier parts of the story that took place underground in Brooklyn, it gave me the feel of city life with the eminent...more
James Jr.
This is a very good middle grade novel. The plot was pretty much straight-forward with a few twist thrown in. I liked the concept a lot, though at times it was a little strange to hear about cats having weapons and mice and rats wearing medieval type clothing. I get that it's fantasy, but it was a little too far fetched at points. That said, the cover is beautiful and that is actually why I bought this originally. I would have enjoyed it if this were a stand-alone book, but it is the first book...more
Bookstorequeer
This is a well-written, solid, animal point-of-view in a human world story. The characterizations are pretty good; they tend towards the simplistic at times but there is some complexity in Hopper's misinformation and innocence. It's a larger, more complex story than you'd expect based on the suggested age range and I think that speaks to the author's ability and vision.

(view spoiler)...more
Shoshana
3.5

Fun adventure story about a mouse named Hopper who escapes his pet shop and winds up in Atlantia, a rodent city run by a rat Emperor, located in the New York subway system (Brooklyn, specifically). Soon Hopper is besieged by rival groups who all want something from him, and it is up to him to figure out what the true secrets of Atlantia - and his own life - are.

This is similar to books like Redwall, but less dense and much more contemporary. It's easy to root for Hopper who, while he may not...more
Mara
An ARC of Mouseheart was provided the publisher. I was not obligated to write a positive review. This is my full and honest opinion.

Cover Blurb: Yes or No? It's a very creepy little cover, and quite fitting of the book. It's not The Thickety creepy, but it is a creepy little book.

Characters: Hopper is an easy enough protagonist to like. He cares about his siblings, even the one who doesn't deserve it, and he always tries to act selflessly. And of course, he's an adorable little mouse, so how can...more
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Fiedler, Lisa. Mouseheart. S.l.: Margaret Mcelderry Bks, 2014. Print
This review is also posted on Get Kids to Read: http://www.mrtierneyslibrary.com
A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Release Date: May 20,2014

Mouseheart is an epic adventure. It is the type of book that is equalled only by the very best of the genre like Fablehavenn, Redwall, or Warriors. Hopper is a tiny mouse that is stuck in a cage in a pet store. When he escapes after nearly bei...more
Stacey
I really liked this book. I was a little confused at the ending, but then I looked at the spine of the book and saw that it said Volume 1. So my confusion hopefully be cleared up in the next book.

This book reminded me a lot of Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh. I'm not a huge fan of books with animals as main characters. But growing up I fell in love with Mrs. Frisby and this book made me feel like I was discovering it all over again.

Can't wait to hear what others think once they have read it.
Dark Fire
This book was overall really good. The characters were awesome, and I loved every minute of it. I highly suggest this book to Redwall lovers, and people who like mice in general. It was well-written and every scene was believable and had me on edge for most of the book. It started out a little slow but picked up the pace much faster then I thought it would and I couldn't put it down.
Bookworm007
May 13, 2014 Bookworm007 marked it as waiting-for-more
The cats of Warriors plus the mice of Redwall ?

MrsLynn
Good Read. I was a bit disappointed that the main protagonist's "character arc" was so steep. It took me a very long time to relate to Hopper and I am concerned that some kids may feel the same way and abandon the book. I DID love the Zuck-meister right away, however. I will update these comments as I have kids read the book.
Great Books
Hopper’s daring escape from the pet store is just the beginning of his adventures. He falls into an underground world filled with mystery, intrigue, and deception. Friend or Foe? Promised one? His very survival depends on choice he must now make. Reviewer #26
Joannah
I found this book to basically be Gregor The Overlander without any humans. I was not impressed and for the most part it was a struggle to maintain enough interest to keep reading.
Melissa
Rats with swords! Brave mice! Prophecies! Evil cats! Sacrifice! In the grand tradition of Redwall and Mrs. Frisby, it's talking animals under NYC! (And it's really quite good.)
Rachael Stein
My rating is really closer to 2.5 stars, I think... many kids will enjoy this tale of war among the rodents, but holy cow, has it been done before.
Kris
Great read with my boys, ages 8 and 10! We all loved the adventures of Hopper, Zucker, Firren, and the rest. Lots of food for thought about how we perceive others and how are actions and words can determine who we are.
Mandy
Jun 09, 2014 Mandy marked it as to-read
(based on Kirkus review)
Joshua
Brutal beginning, horrifying epilogue... a dash of hope... heroism and a fine start to a saga of cit mouse literally down under! Loved it! And the hints of the secret of la rocha intriguing!
Yvonne
I'm not ashamed to admit that I picked this to read because of the amazing cover. It reads like a Disney movie and at times I found myself reading it aloud with 'voices' for the characters. There is some pretty graphic violence, especially toward the end of the book, that might be scary for younger children but keep in mind that things have a tendency to get messy when you're trying to save the world.

I received an ARC of this title from the publisher.
Dawn Rutherford
Dawn Rutherford is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Molly
Molly added it
Jul 19, 2014
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Andrew Jones
Andrew Jones marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Kyra
Kyra marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Romeo's Ex: Rosaline's Story The Case of the Cheerleading Camp Mystery (The New Adventures of Mary-Kate & Ashley, #17) Dating Hamlet: Ophelia's Story Mary-Kate & Ashley Starring in Switching Goals The Green-Eyed Monster (Poison Apple #11)

“THE SQUEAK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH!” 0 likes