Start by marking “Millie Fierce Sleeps Out” as Want to Read:
Millie Fierce Sleeps Out

Millie Fierce Sleeps Out (Millie Fierce)

Littlegirls can be strong and fierce and brave—and sometimes their ferocity is just the thing they need to save the day.

Millie is strong. Millie is fierce. But Millie has learned to keep her fierceness in check. And since she’s been sweet all summer long, Millie gets to have a sleepout with her friends. One where she promises to be well behaved. But things don't go as Mill
Published May 29th 2014 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about Millie Fierce Sleeps Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Millie Fierce Sleeps Out

Carrie Ardoin
Jul 02, 2014 Carrie Ardoin rated it liked it
While I thought this sequel to Millie Fierce was cute, I don't think that it had the heart and humor of the first book of the series.

In this tale, young Millie has put her "fierceness" away and is trying very hard to be good. She's been so good, in fact, that she's going to have a campout in her backyard with her two very best friends! Millie goes about preparing everything and planning the night down to a T...but things happen that are out of her control, and Millie must channel her fierceness
Maureen Timerman
Jun 11, 2014 Maureen Timerman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
As you walk by this book your eyes are drawn to the bright colors, and the delightful drawing of Millie Fierce and she is going to Sleep Out! Jane Manning has once again drawn the children’s attention and they learned a good lesson, without even knowing it!
Millie who is known for her bad temper has been trying really really hard all summer to be good, and she is about to be rewarded for her good behavior. She is being allowed to have a tenting sleep over with her friends, and we get excited as w
Heidi
Giggle, giggle, sigh. What a fun picture book! This makes a great sequel to Manning's original Millie Fierce. In the original book, Millie learns that being fierce can ruin friendships, parties, and make people mad and sad. So Millie keeps her fierceness in all summer and her mother lets her have a sleep out. Millie works hard to make the sleep out all kinds of fun, but when things start going wrong she struggles to keep her fierceness under control. It turns out though that sometimes a little f ...more
Dena (Batch of Books)
Sep 13, 2014 Dena (Batch of Books) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Millie Fierce Sleeps Out is a riot of color, adventure, and fun. Millie plans everything out for her sleep out and makes sure that her fierce stays hidden. She's not going to let anything ruin her night—not even herself! So she keeps calm even when things don't go the way she'd planned. But when she can't contain her fierce any longer, she finds out that it can save the day in the right situation.

The artwork in this book is outstanding. The watercolor illustrations are bright, energetic, and ful
Storytime Books
Jun 03, 2014 Storytime Books rated it really liked it
I really loved this book! It shows kids that they don’t have to hide their personalities, in order to make friends, or think it’ll ruin everything. I think it also shows children to let loose once in a while, and as kids, you don’t always have to be that little obedient child and you can have some fun. It also really reminded of the times when I was a child and had sleepovers in the backyard. So adults, it may be a memory reminder for you all as well. ;) the illustrations, also done by Jane Mann ...more
Lynne
Jul 07, 2014 Lynne rated it really liked it
Millie tries to hide her fierceness. She knows that she can scare everyone away with it and ruin everything. After being good all summer, she is allowed to have a sleep out with some friends. She holds her temper when things are not going according to her plan, but can she keep that up for long?

At first I was afraid that this story was about girls being sweet, quiet, and nice...you know the old "sugar and spice" stuff. Luckily, Millie learns how to use her fierceness when it is needed and sees h
Vivian Kirkfield
Jun 05, 2014 Vivian Kirkfield rated it it was amazing
The best critics of picture books are young kids...they will honestly tell you what they think. I read this story to my 5-year old grandson and he wanted to hear it again...and then sat engrossed,looking at the bold vivid illustrations as he turned the pages. That is a great recommendation.

I'll add mine to his. As a former kindergarten teacher, I know this is the type of book that belongs in every preschool, kindergarten and early grades classroom...it addresses important topics like expressing
Marathon County Public Library MCPL
Millie has been fierce-free all summer so her mother agrees to let her have a sleep-out in a tent in the backyard with her friends. Of course all does not go smoothly during her sleep-out, and Millie needs to often force herself to control her fierceness until it is absolutely necessary to frighten off a scary dog. Colorfully and humorously illustrated, this picture book demonstrates the importance of self-control in an understandable way for this age group.

Sharyn H. / Marathon County Public L
pati
Jun 09, 2014 pati rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
It seems that Millie's quick temper has ruined many a get-together and she is determined to keep it in check for this outdoor slumber party. Her patience is tried many times and finally she has to save the day by firing up her temper. Gus is just such a creature that brings out Millie's fiery side! She's worried that it will be the end of the sleepover, but finds that some times a temper can be used for the good.

Great book for little ones who are needing a lesson on controlling their own outburs
Margo Dill
Jun 24, 2014 Margo Dill rated it it was amazing
I think this is a great picture book. I love Millie. I love how Millie tries to have self-control around her friends, and a pug is the one that gets her to be her true self and save the campout. My daughter, a 3-year-old dog lover, loves this book. I recommend it!
Lynn
Sep 14, 2014 Lynn rated it really liked it
Determination! Fear! When being fierce is OK and when it is not!
I admire Millie - especially how she keeps reminding herself that the sleepover is more important than her own desire to be fierce.
Quirky, bright illustrations add to the action.
Pam
Jun 16, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing
Millie Fierce is a little lady I can relate to. (to whom I can relate?)

She's sweet.

She's nice.

She's quiet.

Except when she's FIERCE.

And sometimes you just gotta get FIERCE with people to get them to listen to you!

Ya know?
Rachel
Jun 13, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
Millie wants everything to go smoothly with her sleepover/campout but right from the beginning it didn't go as planned. She did very well until strange noises from outside scares the other girls and then Millie gets FIERCE.
Emmaus Public  Library
Jul 29, 2014 Emmaus Public Library rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sometimes we strive for what we think others want us to be. We really should just be ourselves, even if that means ferocity. Millie learns that her friends will accept her being fierce instead of a sugarpie.
Edward Sullivan
May 30, 2014 Edward Sullivan rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
A little girl with ferocity-management issues.
Mary
This is a good book to help kids both learn to manage their emotions and know when to celebrate them. It is funny and well written, with lovely water color illustrations.
Christine Turner
Aug 30, 2015 Christine Turner rated it really liked it
Hosting a backyard sleepover for her two friends, Millie struggles to keep her temper when things do not go as she hoped, a situation that is further challenged by a scary howling dog.
Subject:
Sleepovers -- Juvenile fiction.
Camping -- Juvenile fiction
Temper -- Juvenile fiction.
Self-control -- Juvenile fiction.
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2016
Erica
Erica rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2016
Liz Voorheis
Liz Voorheis rated it liked it
May 20, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
May 02, 2016
Kasey
Kasey marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Aria
Aria added it
Mar 14, 2016
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it it was ok
Jan 11, 2016
Keri Douglas
Keri Douglas rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2015
Jodie
Jodie rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2015
Stephani
Stephani rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Illustrator of many books for children. Her memories of being a young girl riding her favorite horse, Killarny, provided some of the inspiration for Cindy Ellen. She lives in Deep River, Connecticut.
More about Jane Manning...

Millie Fierce (2 books)