Start by marking “What Jackie Taught Us (Revised and Expanded): Lessons from the Remarkable Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Introduction by L iz Smith” as Want to Read:

A unique perspective on the influence and enduring fascination of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis

What Jackie Taught Us offers insights about how Jackie lived with poise, grace, and zest, including wisdom about image and style, focus, courage and vision, men, marriage, and motherhood.

After more than a decade in print, this commemorative edition features fourteen new essays
Published May 6th 2014 by TarcherPerigee (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about What Jackie Taught Us (Revised and Expanded), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Jackie Taught Us (Revised and Expanded)

Cortana
May 07, 2014 Cortana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
What Jackie Taught Us: Lessons from the Remarkable Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis by Tina Santi Flaherty is a wonderful tribute to Jackie. Though she was a character with a flawed personality as we all are, she was a wonderful human-being, who added much charm, aura and glamor to the Kennedy family. Most often, what we read about Jackie used to come from the rumor-mill but reading this book without that chirpy and gossipy feeling is a nice change.

Tina Santi Flaherty has done a commendable jo
Anna
Feb 10, 2017 Anna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed learning more about Jackie Kennedy. However, the writing style in this book reminded me of something a middle schooler would write. The author used very little information to draw huge conclusions. It was repetitive in some places and there was quotes from random people tucked in, which was odd.
Staci
Jan 21, 2016 Staci rated it liked it
The interspersed asides by random people are a bit unnecessary but it is interesting to read about the different traits Jackie possessed and to get a bit of biographical information on how those traits might have been formed in her character.
Victoria Greer
The premise of this book is interesting. However the book is not well written. The book was repetitive, choppy and even confusing at times.
Kristen
Aug 04, 2007 Kristen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone interested in a brief review of Jackie
Recommended to Kristen by: TV show
Disappointed because it did not meet my expectations. It could have been written by someone who has read press releases. No new or personal information. Did not even seem to be that "educational".
Wallace
Jul 28, 2010 Wallace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Type: {Commuter Read: format lends easily to starting/ stopping.}
Rating: {Me Likey: Enjoyable! Particularly for fans of this genre.}

Why You’re Reading It:
- You are a Kennedy fan who want another insight into Camelot
- You want to know more about Jackie O.

What I Thought:

Though not a biography, this book has plenty of information about Jackie Kennedy Onassis’s life. In fact, the subtitle to the book is: Lessons from the Remarkable Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis. Split up into easily readable ch
Laura Reading
May 13, 2014 Laura Reading rated it liked it
Recommends it for: history, fashion, public personalities
Shelves: nonfiction
I really would like to give this 3.5 stars. I was quite young during the Kennedy era, and fashion and politics were not in my interest circles yet. However it was impossible not to be touched by America's royal family.

Reading this as an adult I am fascinated by details and influences that had touched me even while I did not notice them as a child. Of course the older women in my life did notice Jackie's style and poise.
She was an example to women all over the world, and of all ages and income l
Julie
Jan 27, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I felt like the "what Jackie taught us" moments at each chapter's end were somewhat sweeping generalizations or opinions of the author, I enjoyed this book. But after all, maybe those "generalizations" really were true according to the American public! I should ask my parents what they thought of Jackie. :) I was very impressed with her smarts (fluent and self-taught in 3 languages!), her drive, her self-discipline, her understated yet classic fashion style, and the way she approached moth ...more
Autumn
Jun 10, 2011 Autumn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is what I have learned from this book:
Image is everything.
Nothing is more alluring then portraying a sense of mystery.
It makes me wonder. Is putting up a good front the same as being phony?
This book contradicts itself, just as she did on so many occasions. Was she confident or insecure?  I'm guessing that she, like the rest of us were a combination of both. That doesn't make her the heroine that the press wanted us to believe. That makes her human.
Like life itself, this book started out
Jessica Jang
This book was a nice insight into the life of Jackie O. It was a very fast and easy read. I am a big fan and I'd like to think we are "kindred spirits" in our quests for knowledge. To be honest though, I thought that I would learn more about her life in general, that you couldn't just get from Wikipedia or somewhere. Although, I do think this book looks at her as an inspiration and would be a great self-help book for any young lady that picked it up.

One of my favorite quotes from the book is, "
Maria
Oct 24, 2013 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been a fan of Jackie Kennedy Onassis for years and really wanted to dive into her story a little deeper. Of the many books written about Jackie I chose this one because it juxtaposed her story with some very valuable lesssons. It certainly shows how her character, courage and strength came about throughout her life. Her relationship with her parents and upbringing seemed to really be her foundation for the milestones and events that were to later mark her life.

She did leave behind many l
Lee
Nov 29, 2011 Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jackie-kennedy
Not only was this a short and fast read this book did a excellent job of showing the person that Jackie was and still touches the lives of so many people when she was alive and even in death. This book also truly reflects her personalty by sharing some details of her life that I never knew. The pictures of Jackie at the start of each Chapter just add to the kind of person she was from fun and very determined lady, To a person who embraces culture and shared with others to a fun loving mother and ...more
Amy
Nov 13, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really went back and forth between 3 or 4 stars but decided on a 4 because Jackie Kennedy is just a fascinating person. I didn't know too much about her besides the obvious big things. But this book isn't a chronological order of her life. It is separated into characteristics Jackie Kennedy had that we can learn from. Some characteristics I skimmed through because I wasn't as interested in them but some I really enjoyed. So if you are looking for a chronological biography of Jackie this isn't ...more
Lizzie
Dec 29, 2008 Lizzie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It was fascinating to read about Jacqueline Kennedy's life. The author's organization of the book made it more enjoyable than a chronological biography - each chapter is categorized by a trait that Jackie possessed that we can learn from (style, vision, courage, motherhood, etc.) then the chapter is full of stories & quotes from throughout her life. I learned so much & I am really inspired by her life. I highly recommend this book.
Kaitlin
Apr 21, 2012 Kaitlin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I started this book, excited to read more about Jackie and her life and things to be learned from her. The author, however, jumps from one topic to another, and makes sweeping conclusions without any specific evidence or clear indication of why those conclusions are made. It felt more like a series of comments by a casual observer rather than any true glimpse into Jackie's life or what made her tick.
Jo Nipper
May 06, 2015 Jo Nipper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WONDERFUL REVIEW OF JACKIE

I rated five stars as this is best compilation/overview of all periods of Jackie's life in one book. Few incidents new; however, enjoyed so much reading again, being reminded what a positive influence she exerted over individuals, U.S. And international peoples. Truly, her own person. Her legacy withstands time.
Britt
Nov 30, 2014 Britt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational read for all. Learned a lot about Jackie I hadn't known before. My admiration for her has definitely grown. Powerful lady with a strong sense of self and great determination against all odds.
Sharon
Dec 29, 2015 Sharon rated it really liked it
A really enjoyable book, I confess I knew little about Jackie before this book. (something that Jackie wanted it seems) I have more admiration for the woman after all she went through. The woman is definitely a great example of grace and intellect.
Ashani Nuka
I've read a lot of JFK biographies so it was interesting to learn a little more about Jackie. However, the writing was really simplistic and rather boring. The "what she taught us" portion at the end of every chapter was also really annoying and rather condescending.
Rachel R.
Apr 04, 2016 Rachel R. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book for anyone fascinated with Jackie. It connects her life to ours by drawing out thoughtful lessons that can be observed through her life. I admire Jackie greatly, and I think she would be happy to know that people are living their lives better because of her.
Kathy Kernan
Aug 03, 2010 Kathy Kernan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All of the grace and intelligence of this woman shines through in this book. Reading this book gave me a deeper insight into her life while allowing me to recapture the mood of America during The Camelot Years.
Amy
Jan 18, 2011 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the approach to this book, and did learn some new things. I would've been more interested if the author wrote more about her relationship with Jackie. I did learn some new things, and will probably try this angle of writing a biography myself.
Lorraine
Nov 12, 2011 Lorraine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, jackie
I'n all fairness I love most books on Jackie. This book highlights her grace under fire and how she "dealt" with being "Jackie! The book is a light & fluffy but still a good read.
Jane
Jan 31, 2015 Jane rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There was nothing new in this text...I found much of it repetitive, and not terribly insightful.
Sharon
May 04, 2015 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book about how Jackie face the good of life and the bad and tips for us to make life more enjoyable.
Rebekah
Kind of trite. I did, however, learn a lot about the life and character of Jackie O. I respect her even more now--for who she was, not just for her amazing sense of style.
Kim
Jul 10, 2007 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I love looking at the life of Jackie Kennedy... she truly was a woman of class. This book is an easy and fast read... cuts to the chase...
Anne Marie
I thought this would be a little "fluffy" and it was. But to be fair, I did learn some things.
Helen
Jan 31, 2015 Helen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I fealt like I was reading a college paper. The writing was amateurish and repetitive. The pictures were excellent though.
Barbara
Give this to your
daughters! nieces! granddaughters! any young lady that you know!
  • All Too Human the Love Story of Jack and Jackie Kennedy
  • Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis: A Life
  • Mona Lisa in Camelot: Jacqueline Kennedy and the True Story of the Painting's High-Stakes Journey to America
  • Mrs. Kennedy: The Missing History of the Kennedy Years
  • Sweet Caroline: Last Child of Camelot
  • The Secret Memoirs of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis: A Novel
  • Jacqueline Kennedy, The White House Years: Selections from the John F. Kennedy Library & Museum
  • American Son: A Portrait of John F. Kennedy, Jr.
  • America's Queen: The Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
  • Jackie After O: One Remarkable Year When Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Defied Expectations and Rediscovered Her Dreams
  • The Best Loved Poems of Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis
  • A Woman Named Jackie: An Intimate Biography of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis
  • What Would Jackie Do?: An Inspired Guide to Distinctive Living
  • Jackie as Editor: The Literary Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
  • The Kennedy Wit: The Humor and Wisdom of John F. Kennedy
  • The Kennedy Men: 1901-1963
  • Grace and Power: The Private World of the Kennedy White House
  • The Other Mrs. Kennedy: An intimate and revealing look at the hidden life of Ethel Skakel Kennedy