Start by marking “When She Makes More: 10 Rules for Breadwinning Women” as Want to Read:

When She Makes More: 10 Rules for Breadwinning Women

How to thrive in a relationship when you’re the richer half

For the top-earning woman, the rules are different. She faces a much higher risk for burnout, infidelity, and divorce. In this highly practical book, financial guru and media star Farnoosh Torabi—a breadwinner herself—presents a bold strategy that not only addresses how income imbalances affect relationships and fa
Published May 1st 2014 by Avery

To ask other readers questions about When She Makes More, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When She Makes More

Erica
The title is a tad misleading. This is less a book full of advice for women about successfully managing their finances when they are the ones in control of said finances and more about how to keep (or get) a man when the woman makes more money in the relationship. Yes, there are tips regarding wise investments and money management but mostly, it's about carefully navigating the emotional turbulence that could arise if you, the woman, has a larger income than your partner, the man.

The ten rules a
Christina
Decent book with some good pieces of advice. My disappointment was on the focus of having children. While I understand that a majority of women make that choice, there was little focus or even attention to couples that choose not to have children and the challenges that those women face. Given a whole chapter dedicated to parenting challenges, it would have been nice to also address the challenges that women face when they are high earners and choose not to have children yet still have a family. ...more
Allison Lay
Dec 20, 2014 Allison Lay rated it did not like it
I don't even know where to start with this. I don't leave bad reviews, but this was the worst. I guess I'm not the target audience, because I'm a happily married female professional working in a male dominated field, and my husband is extremely helpful/understanding, even though I make more (gasp). My summary for the entire book is pretty much this: unsubstantiated DNA claims, rude spouses who clearly have given up (does the gender really matter, wouldn't men be pissed if they had lazy wives??), ...more
Doug Nordman
May 14, 2014 Doug Nordman rated it it was amazing
When She Makes More: 10 Rules for Breadwinning Women

Farnoosh's advice immediately struck a chord with me because I'm one of those men who earned less. My spouse and I have enjoyed nearly 28 years of marriage while figuring out our own roles-- and dealing with the scrutiny of family & friends. My spouse and I kept ourselves focused on the real goal of financial independence, and the book's practical money-management techniques really work.

Guys, don't worry: this is not a male-bashing polemic.
Brandi
Nov 24, 2014 Brandi rated it it was amazing
Farnoosh Torabi's "When She Makes More: 10 Rules for Breadwinning Women" provides a lot of useful advice for couples affected by income imbalances. Though it is directed at women, a lot of the advice could prove useful for both sexes. This does not really affect me now, as I am still working towards my doctorate and don't have much in the way of money, but I will definitely be re-reading this book prior to graduation as I probably will be dealing with some of the issues that the author ...more
Adeline
May 21, 2014 Adeline rated it it was amazing
When She Makes More is a book that successful addresses many topics in one volume: personal finance, career advice, gender and workplace issues. Although the author mainly tackles the topic of families where the woman’s salary is significantly larger than her husband, the book is relevant for readers with all kinds of income – CEOs, dentists, small business owners etc.

You don’t need to be a millionaire to pick it up (although if you are, I bet it’ll still come in handy), or a woman either. Farno
Jackie B. Forman
This book was incredibly thought provoking for me, and therefore a very slow read. I picked up this book because I recently came to terms with the fact that I will be the breadwinner in my soon-to-be family. For me, it presents some psychological issues, but I find that the world outside my family is more judgmental than I expected they would be. I wanted advice on how to deal with the "But you're marrying beneath you..." and the "You need a man who will support you." and all that. This book did ...more
Rachel
Dec 19, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review:

To be honest this book got off to a slow start for me. As the sole breadwinner in my family (and also a financial advisor), I found the statistics and examples of other couples to be discouraging. I also felt like my situation didn't relate - my husband and I decided that he would stay home with the children while I grew my business almost 9 years ago and it was one of the best decisions we have ever made!

I felt the la
Jessica
The sad truth is that women who make more money than their (male) partners get divorced at higher rates, feel higher levels of stress, and somehow still end up doing even more housework and childcare. This book looks at the problems that can arise for couples when the woman is the breadwinner, where the income gap is a small one or a extremely large one. While there wasn't a great deal in here that was groundbreaking or anything, I do think that the book contained a great deal of tips and ...more
Vonetta
Aug 16, 2014 Vonetta rated it really liked it
I hate that such books have to be written, but norms only change one little bit at a time, I guess. I rather enjoyed Torabi's overview of the household economic landscape and the accompanying tips. Sure, I felt my blood begin to boil a few times, but only because I'm of the belief that splitting household duties is common sense, and actually having to make this explicit really grinds my gears. Either way, it gave me and my spouse some good topics of discussion; although he makes more now, I'm on ...more
Colombiana16
Aug 17, 2015 Colombiana16 rated it it was amazing
Great book! It was very well written and definitely helpful.
Farnoosh touches on very important points that I was not previously sure how to address or felt that I was the only one going through it. She also brings up many areas that I had not previously considered but that would have a great impact in the future of a relationship. The stories of how other women have handle similar situations successfully is truly a breath of fresh air.
Elle
Dec 26, 2014 Elle rated it liked it
I don't recommend this book to every woman. I think that prior to getting married and if you are getting serious with someone, then you should definitely read this book regardless how much money you make. I think it helps somewhat in your perspective if you are already married and read this book. I think it is just a comprehensive way for partners to view money.
Denise Morse
Dec 22, 2015 Denise Morse rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I think this is a good book to read prior to getting married, less relevant when you are already married. I hope that as society moves along, this book is not needed. As someone relatively young, I was a little upset by some portions but also saw myself and my situation in others. It was a mixed bag for me and I think it will be for most.
Brenda
Jan 19, 2016 Brenda rated it really liked it
I've been listening to Farnoosh Torabi's podcast So Money for about 6 months and I wanted to pick up one of her latest books to check it out. This was a fast read and overall an interesting topic when navigating money and relationships.
Evangeline Anderson
Eye Opening!

This book helped me make sense of the trouble brewing in my marriage. It gave me hope for the future and some realistic strategies to use to fix what is broken. Thank you!
Caroline
Mar 30, 2014 Caroline rated it really liked it
Interesting read from a very practical money expert. Farnoosh tackles a tricky subject, who makes more money in a couple and how that can impact your relationship. Lots of good takeaway information here, would highly recommend this book to any woman to read.
Christine
May 13, 2014 Christine rated it it was amazing
I am a fan of anything that offers honesty and humor about relationships. I have been a fan of Farnoosh's voice since her first book and this one touched an issue close to home.
Marisa
Dec 28, 2015 Marisa rated it liked it
Book was pretty good, but I felt like a lot of the situations/problems don't exist in my relationship.
Kelsey Jones
Sep 07, 2014 Kelsey Jones rated it it was ok
it was OK, but some of the advice was how yo make your man feel manly instead of dealing with the internal issues women may have.
Deirdre Pase
Deirdre Pase rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2015
Cristina Behrens
Cristina Behrens rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2014
Lilla Vásárhelyi
Lilla Vásárhelyi rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Brigitte Marie
Brigitte Marie rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Esther
Esther rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2016
Jene
Jene rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2014
Mackenzi
Mackenzi rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2015
Naomi Young
Naomi Young rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2014
Charmin
Charmin rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2014
Manuela
Manuela rated it liked it
May 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
"Buy yourself a wife" 1 1 Dec 20, 2014 08:48PM
  • Scottsboro: A Tragedy of the American South
  • Chasing Gideon: The Elusive Quest for Poor People's Justice
  • The Cuba Reader: History, Culture, Politics
  • White by Law: The Legal Construction of Race
  • A Death in the Lucky Holiday Hotel: Murder, Money, and an Epic Power Struggle in China
  • Privacy
  • Revolution at the Gates: Zizek on Lenin: The 1917 Writings
  • Smarter: The New Science of Building Brain Power
  • The Vietnam Reader: The Definitive Collection of Fiction and Nonfiction on the War
  • The Big Lie: Motherhood, Feminism, and the Reality of the Biological Clock
  • Beautiful Thing: Inside the Secret World of Bombay's Dance Bars
  • Mistakes I Made at Work: 25 Influential Women Reflect on What They Got Out of Getting It Wrong
  • Panther Baby: A Life of Rebellion and Reinvention
  • What Works for Women at Work: Four Patterns Working Women Need to Know
  • Love in the Time of Algorithms: How Online Dating Shapes Our Relationships
  • Anatomy of Injustice: A Murder Case Gone Wrong
  • Summer for the Gods: The Scopes Trial & America's Continuing Debate Over Science & Religion
  • Me the People: One Man's Selfless Quest to Rewrite the Constitution of the United States of America
Farnoosh Torabi is a personal finance journalist, author and TV personality. The New York Times calls her advice “perfectly practical.”

In 2008 she published You’re So Money – Live Rich Even When You’re Not, a tell-all for young adults searching for financial independence.
Her second book, Psych Yourself Rich, arrives September 2010.

Farnoosh recently wrapped SoapNet’s new series “Bank of Mom and Dad
More about Farnoosh Torabi...