Start by marking “Ketchup Is a Vegetable: And Other Lies Moms Tell Themselves” as Want to Read:
Ketchup Is a Vegetable: And Other Lies Moms Tell Themselves
Open Preview read book* *Different edition

Ketchup Is a Vegetable: And Other Lies Moms Tell Themselves

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  1,345 ratings  ·  262 reviews
If you don’t have anything nice to say about motherhood, then… read this book. Robin O’Bryant offers a no holds barred look at the day to day life of being a mother to three, running a household and the everyday monotony of parenting.It’s not always pretty but it’s real. Whether she's stuffing cabbage in her bra… dealing with defiant yet determined daughters… yelling at th ...more
Published April 1st 2014 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published November 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ketchup Is a Vegetable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ketchup Is a Vegetable

Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Have you ever read a book and literally laughed out loud so hard that you started crying? From page one this book had me laughing and crying and the boy starring at me strangely! Although I am not a mom and this is most definitely a mom book filled with stories from birds and bees talk to horrible road trips with infants and toddlers, I found the humor through knowing a bunch of moms and how life can be out of control.

This book starts with a perfect prologue to set up "the characters" and help
Ciara
wait, what? HOW does this book have such a high rating here? the author must have a million friends on the internet that gave it an inflated score, because in NO WORLD is this a four-star-average book. i was actually going to give it two stars, because kudos for writing any book at all when you have three kids, but i felt duty-bound to mark it down to try to balance the over-inflation a little.

this is supposed to be funny essays about motherhood. just the kind of thing i like. i read good review
April
Mommyhood is hard. You have ideas of what it means to be a Mom while pregnant but those are often quickly dashed by the time you give birth. As you maneuver your way through the first year, you learn the ropes, gain confidence, and start to feel as though you know what you're doing. In our house, months 10 through 15 were favorites, ultimate kiddo cuteness abound.

And then, like many, you decide to change the ballgame, make things more interesting and have a second. Thus negating all said learned
Mich
The last chapter had to be said. The last chapter is a short story unto itself. The last chapter threw the whole LOL business of the rest if the book down the river. Read ALL but the last chapter. Enjoy the funny parts. Let is soak in. THEN. After a few days read the last chapter and let it soak in. And yes I know they were all separate little stories but they had a 'theme' and the last chapter just made me say 'oh'. Maybe read the last chapter first?
Lily (Lily Pond Reads)
Oh my goodness, let me tell you first. I have never read a memoir before this book, so when it arrived on my doorsteps I did not know how I was going to enjoy it.

I was so glad I dove right into it, because I felt it was worth every page.

Robin is a mother of three girls, and Ketchup Is a Vegetable is her memoir, story compilation on parenthood. Especially what it means being a mother to her. I think I enjoy and loved every single second of this book since the very first chapter.

Robin tells it lik
Stephanie
I waited 3 years for this book to become available at the library. I had high hopes - friends, strangers, and Goodreads told me I would love it. "It's a must read for parents! She's so funny," they all said.

Except she isn't. At. All.

Look, I've been through the whole pregnancy and infant/toddler thing twice. I'm certainly no expert. However, not once have I had the inclination to devote half of a book (or even more than a passing comment in a conversation) about being a parent to my chest, anoth
Diane Barnes
I gave this one 5 stars because I enjoyed every word of it. Robin O'Bryant's style is reminiscent of Anne Lamott and Celia Rivenbark because she is brutally honest about her life as a wife and mother. Forget the magazine articles that tell you how to be a "perfect mother". No such creature exists, and I don't like the ones who pretend to be. Raising 3 children under the age of 7 is a daily struggle, even with a supportive husband and family. Finding the humor in that struggle is her forte, and s ...more
Amanda
Stumbled upon this book and it was a great accident! I have read and re-read this book because it is the real deal about parenting! No it isn't about what to feed your baby, how to get them to sleep, or how to discipline. It is better- it makes you feel okay that your own child has only eaten chicken nuggets for 6 straights days or that sometimes we act a fool to keep your own child awake so they will sleep all night or that sometimes when we should discipline our children... All we can do it la ...more
Cynthia
I don't get it. Every review gives this a 4 or 5 and claims it is laugh-out-loud funny. I didn't have high expectations and just wanted something light to read; it was free on my Kindle. I read the first 8 essays and couldn't continue. It is very poorly written, not at all clever, and I didn't even think about smiling. I am frankly shocked that anyone chose to publish these blog posts with so many better examples of the genre available.
Jennifer McMurrain
Ketchup is a Vegetable: And Other Lies Moms Tell Themselves is a snort laugh, milk-out-the-nose great read. I found myself nodding at all her misadventures in Mommyhood, with a "I have so been there" nod. I strongly encourage all 1st time Mommies to read this, not only will it give you a head's up on what's to come, but it'll make you feel right at home in your own misadventures.
I rarely give 5 star reviews, but this book really deserves it. A laugh out loud read from beginning to end (OK...maybe the last essay was more of a tearjerker than funny).

As a mom of 3, I can totally relate to every single thing in this book. Heck, I've lived through some of these (have the roadtrip tshirt, cleaned up the vomit).
Adam
I picked this up after being threatened by a friend, and I'm glad I did.
This collection of humorous essays about the author and her three young kids is both touching and hilarious in equal measure. I'd recommend it to anyone, and not just new mums.

That said, I'm never having children.

5 stars.
Elisabeth
This book is hilarious! I was able to identify with her on so many levels because I have either experienced the same situations or have thought the same thoughts! This is a laugh out loud book!
Kari
I don't think I have laughed so much while reading a book in a long time. Ketchup is a Vegetable: and Other Lies Mom Tell Themselves is full of tales and anecdotes from the author who is the mother of 3 small children. She discusses everything from breast feeding to talking about sex with your young child. I think most mothers will find this book very amusing and will find themselves nodding their head over and over. I know I did! Her honesty and frankness about subjects from the sacred nap time ...more
Debbie
A tough choice between 2 & 3 stars.
This book started out so strong. I was laughing every other paragraph.
Then started the endless boob, poop & puke stories....and I was really about ready to just stop reading. (And I have to *really* dislike something to not finish.)

I decided to give it 'one more chapter' and the bodily fluid details stopped, so I kept going. It ended really sweetly and I completely agree with every word written in her last paragraph. So I'm glad I finished it.

Still th
Hannah
I had this book in my Kindle app that I downloaded for free ages ago, so I read it.

When I say I "read" it, I mean I struggled through most of it, and skipped a lot of it.

Generally speaking, it isn't a terrible book. I think the writing is good as far as story-telling goes. It just reads more like a mommy blog than it does a book. It's really a series of essays that are meant to be funny and relatable for parents, but most aren't. I'd say a fourth of what I read was relatable for me as a parent,
Stephanie
I loved it. There was so many times when reading this book that I thought, "oh my gosh, that is my life!" It was absolutely hilarious. I cried from laughing at a few parts. It might not be as funny if you aren't a parent. The public bathrooms with kids scene has happened a lot in our family. Mommy juice sounds like a great idea...

(there is a bit of language)
Haily
Robin O'Bryant is officially on my FAVORITE author list...I just started reading "Ketchup is a Vegetable: And Other Lies Moms Tell Themselves" and it is hilarious!! I have literally laughed out loud on several occasions. If you are a mommy....trust me when I say this is a must read!!!
dara
Robin have 3 daughters within 4 years. This book explain how hard motherhood is. I like the part when her daughter asking, yelling or have opinion on something. It's really funny or punny according to a 3 years old lil girl.

Emma yelled at her father when her baby sister wake up. But Mommy is not finish reading her bed time stories yet. So she asking her father to give the baby a bootle.
“DADDY! GIVE HUR SOME MILKS IN HUR BOTTLE! AND PUT HUR IN DA BED, HUR IS SWEEPY! 'KAY?”
The three-year-old yelli
Sarah Hardy
Loved it! Kind of like if the Girlfriends' Guide series author Vicki Iovine met Anne Lamott and they had a couple of drinks and sat around dishing about being a mom.

My favorite kind of humor--absolute honesty mixed with laugh-at-yourself wit.
Meredith Spidel
Robin has an amazing talent for being able to tell the cold, hard truths of motherhood (the things you would rather not think about!) but making you laugh so hard in the process, you'll be begging for Poise pads. Fantastic treat!
Cyndi
What a great read!!! Women with children can relate to this whether they admit it or not. These girls are hysterical & Robin is a genius in the way she documents their stories.
Peyton Kennedy
Love this book! Hands down one of the funniest out there. I would recommend this to anyone and everyone... mother, sister, best friend, neighbor, etc.
Maria
Great book to give to a mom, not so much my type of book, still O'Bryant is hilarious and there's lots of laugh out loud moments.
Amy
Very funny & real! Totally relatable.
Lindsey
I received this book through a Goodreads First-reads Giveaway.

I want to preface this review by saying that I have a high level of respect and appreciation for anyone that is willing to share their parenting stories. Parenting is a touchy subject; everyone does it differently, and everyone has an opinion. Even people who dont have kids have opinions on how they should be raised. So, like I said, I have a lot of respect for someone who is brave enough to share their most intimate family stories be
Mel
Yay, free book online about some of my worst nightmares!

This is a memoir about the misery and joy about being a parent for three children. Once I read the introduction that this lady had three children all while trying to move, discipline, and work, I can only give her a round of applause for her courage.

Anyway, I haven't even gone through the marriage phrase yet, so many parts of the book I cannot relate to. I am only a curious individual who is always baffled by the amount of people who want
SaraJane
Page 144:
"I used to go to dinner with my husband before children and talk about our future, my work, his work, life in general. Now when we go out to dinner, we usually fight through our appetizers and salads about things we haven't been able to discuss in front of our children. By the time our entrees are on the table, we are ready to play nice and move on."

Page 202:
"Thankfully, for all of us, God doesn't need eight hours of sleep and two cups of Starbuck's Cafe Verona before He can keep up wit
Emilie
I should start by saying it is technically well-written and well edited. I found it extremely boring and not very funny. I am positive there are many out there who's sense of humor is spot on with this book and love it, but mine was not. It is less a collection of stories than the regular ramblings of girlfriends. I mean, how funny are your friends' potty training horror stories during playgroup? Mildly humorous. That's what this book is as well. Mildly humorous.

I was determined to continue read
Joanna
I got my copy here on Goodreads.
I'm not a mother. Why? Because I do not enjoy frequent encounters with poop, vomit, and other bodily fluids. I can't afford thousands of dollars per month in child care. I like to sleep late, go out whenever I please, and I won't even park next to a minivan. My biggest pet peeve with new mothers is when I hear them say: "I didn't know I would be tired all the time", "I didn't know I wouldn't have time for a pedi", etc etc etc... What do you mean you didn't know?
Pick Up Lane Book...: Grandmothers, MeeMaws and Mimis 4 5 Sep 10, 2013 06:24PM
Pick Up Lane Book...: Share BUT NOT WITH ME! 3 4 Aug 23, 2013 12:57PM
  • Confessions of a Scary Mommy: An Honest and Irreverent Look at Motherhood: The Good, The Bad, and the Scary
  • When Did I Get Like This?
  • Spending the Holidays with People I Want to Punch in the Throat
  • Sh*tty Mom: The Parenting Guide for the Rest of Us
  • I Just Want to Pee Alone: A Collection of Humorous Essays by Kick Ass Mom Bloggers
  • The Pig in the Pantry: and Other Homeschool Tales
  • The Second Nine Months: One Woman Tells the Real Truth about Becoming a Mom. Finally.
  • Reasons Mommy Drinks
  • Moms Who Drink and Swear: True Tales of Loving My Kids While Losing My Mind
  • Bright From the Start: The Simple, Science-Backed Way to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind from Birth to Age 3
  • Old Before My Time: Hayley Okines' Life with Progeria
  • Elephant Girl: A Human Story
  • Mother Shock: Loving Every (Other) Minute of It
  • The Book of New Family Traditions: How to Create Great Rituals for Holidays and Every Day
  • Medicine Men:  Extreme Appalachian Doctoring
  • Sh*t My Kids Ruined: An A-Z Celebration of Kid-Destruction
  • The Truth About Butterflies: A Memoir
  • The Third Floor
Robin O'Bryant is a NYTs best-selling author and award winning humor columnist. She's a work-from-home-mom to three daughters born within four years. She finally figured out where babies come from and got herself under control. Robin survives the hilarity of motherhood by making fun of herself in her self-syndicated humor column, Robin's Chicks and on her blog by the same name.
More about Robin O'Bryant...
A Second Helping Are You There, God? It's Me, Mommy

“Zeb. Married. Texas. Auburn. Aubrey. Savannah. Emma. Charleston. Sadie.” 0 likes
“(Quick soapbox moment here for you “animal people” — having a pet, even a dog, is not the same as having children. Case in point… you can lock your “baby” in a cage or take it outside, lock the door and ignore it for a few hours. Parents cannot, unless we would like a cage of our very own.)” 0 likes