Start by marking “Ketchup Is a Vegetable: And Other Lies Moms Tell Themselves” as Want to Read:
Ketchup Is a Vegetable: And Other Lies Moms Tell Themselves

Read Book* *Different edition

Ketchup Is a Vegetable: And Other Lies Moms Tell Themselves

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  1,606 Ratings  ·  285 Reviews
If you don't have anything nice to say about motherhood, then… read this book. Robin O'Bryant offers a no holds barred look at the day to day life of being a mother to three, running a household and the everyday monotony of parenting. It's not always pretty but it's real. Whether she's stuffing cabbage in her bra… dealing with defiant yet determined daughters… yelling at t ...more
Published April 1st 2014 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published November 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ketchup Is a Vegetable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ketchup Is a Vegetable

Ciara
wait, what? HOW does this book have such a high rating here? the author must have a million friends on the internet that gave it an inflated score, because in NO WORLD is this a four-star-average book. i was actually going to give it two stars, because kudos for writing any book at all when you have three kids, but i felt duty-bound to mark it down to try to balance the over-inflation a little.

this is supposed to be funny essays about motherhood. just the kind of thing i like. i read good review
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Have you ever read a book and literally laughed out loud so hard that you started crying? From page one this book had me laughing and crying and the boy starring at me strangely! Although I am not a mom and this is most definitely a mom book filled with stories from birds and bees talk to horrible road trips with infants and toddlers, I found the humor through knowing a bunch of moms and how life can be out of control.

This book starts with a perfect prologue to set up "the characters" and help
April
Mar 16, 2012 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
Mommyhood is hard. You have ideas of what it means to be a Mom while pregnant but those are often quickly dashed by the time you give birth. As you maneuver your way through the first year, you learn the ropes, gain confidence, and start to feel as though you know what you're doing. In our house, months 10 through 15 were favorites, ultimate kiddo cuteness abound.

And then, like many, you decide to change the ballgame, make things more interesting and have a second. Thus negating all said learned
Mich
Dec 03, 2012 Mich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last chapter had to be said. The last chapter is a short story unto itself. The last chapter threw the whole LOL business of the rest if the book down the river. Read ALL but the last chapter. Enjoy the funny parts. Let is soak in. THEN. After a few days read the last chapter and let it soak in. And yes I know they were all separate little stories but they had a 'theme' and the last chapter just made me say 'oh'. Maybe read the last chapter first?
Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe)
Oh my goodness, let me tell you first. I have never read a memoir before this book, so when it arrived on my doorsteps I did not know how I was going to enjoy it.

I was so glad I dove right into it, because I felt it was worth every page.

Robin is a mother of three girls, and Ketchup Is a Vegetable is her memoir, story compilation on parenthood. Especially what it means being a mother to her. I think I enjoy and loved every single second of this book since the very first chapter.

Robin tells it lik
Stephanie
Sep 26, 2013 Stephanie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
I waited 3 years for this book to become available at the library. I had high hopes - friends, strangers, and Goodreads told me I would love it. "It's a must read for parents! She's so funny," they all said.

Except she isn't. At. All.

Look, I've been through the whole pregnancy and infant/toddler thing twice. I'm certainly no expert. However, not once have I had the inclination to devote half of a book (or even more than a passing comment in a conversation) about being a parent to my chest, anoth
Diane Barnes
Jun 13, 2012 Diane Barnes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gave this one 5 stars because I enjoyed every word of it. Robin O'Bryant's style is reminiscent of Anne Lamott and Celia Rivenbark because she is brutally honest about her life as a wife and mother. Forget the magazine articles that tell you how to be a "perfect mother". No such creature exists, and I don't like the ones who pretend to be. Raising 3 children under the age of 7 is a daily struggle, even with a supportive husband and family. Finding the humor in that struggle is her forte, and s ...more
Amanda
May 27, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stumbled upon this book and it was a great accident! I have read and re-read this book because it is the real deal about parenting! No it isn't about what to feed your baby, how to get them to sleep, or how to discipline. It is better- it makes you feel okay that your own child has only eaten chicken nuggets for 6 straights days or that sometimes we act a fool to keep your own child awake so they will sleep all night or that sometimes when we should discipline our children... All we can do it la ...more
Cynthia
Feb 22, 2012 Cynthia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I don't get it. Every review gives this a 4 or 5 and claims it is laugh-out-loud funny. I didn't have high expectations and just wanted something light to read; it was free on my Kindle. I read the first 8 essays and couldn't continue. It is very poorly written, not at all clever, and I didn't even think about smiling. I am frankly shocked that anyone chose to publish these blog posts with so many better examples of the genre available.
Jennifer McMurrain
Ketchup is a Vegetable: And Other Lies Moms Tell Themselves is a snort laugh, milk-out-the-nose great read. I found myself nodding at all her misadventures in Mommyhood, with a "I have so been there" nod. I strongly encourage all 1st time Mommies to read this, not only will it give you a head's up on what's to come, but it'll make you feel right at home in your own misadventures.
Jan 26, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I rarely give 5 star reviews, but this book really deserves it. A laugh out loud read from beginning to end (OK...maybe the last essay was more of a tearjerker than funny).

As a mom of 3, I can totally relate to every single thing in this book. Heck, I've lived through some of these (have the roadtrip tshirt, cleaned up the vomit).
Adam
Dec 11, 2011 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up after being threatened by a friend, and I'm glad I did.
This collection of humorous essays about the author and her three young kids is both touching and hilarious in equal measure. I'd recommend it to anyone, and not just new mums.

That said, I'm never having children.

5 stars.
Angela
Jun 17, 2015 Angela rated it it was amazing
It took me about 2 hours to read this on a plane. I didn't hear the babies crying, the unidentified smells wafting through the circulated air didn't bother me, even my airline assigned friend didn't try talking with me. All because I was nose deep in these pages, giggling and cringing through the author's early motherhood saga.

Reading these short stories was like reliving my own early motherhood tribulations. I could relate to them all, and laugh about them, knowing that like the author, we sur
Elisabeth
Jun 13, 2016 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is hilarious! I was able to identify with her on so many levels because I have either experienced the same situations or have thought the same thoughts! This is a laugh out loud book!
Kari
Feb 06, 2012 Kari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2012
I don't think I have laughed so much while reading a book in a long time. Ketchup is a Vegetable: and Other Lies Mom Tell Themselves is full of tales and anecdotes from the author who is the mother of 3 small children. She discusses everything from breast feeding to talking about sex with your young child. I think most mothers will find this book very amusing and will find themselves nodding their head over and over. I know I did! Her honesty and frankness about subjects from the sacred nap time ...more
Debbie
Dec 31, 2013 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A tough choice between 2 & 3 stars.
This book started out so strong. I was laughing every other paragraph.
Then started the endless boob, poop & puke stories....and I was really about ready to just stop reading. (And I have to *really* dislike something to not finish.)

I decided to give it 'one more chapter' and the bodily fluid details stopped, so I kept going. It ended really sweetly and I completely agree with every word written in her last paragraph. So I'm glad I finished it.

Still th
Bookworm
Amusing book about motherhood. When I settled down to read this book I realized I bought the wrong one. What I wanted was 'Ketchup is My FAVORITE Vegetable'. But it was too late. I've had this book for at least a month so there was no returning it now and it was my mistake anyway. Still, I went in with low expectations. I had no idea what I was getting into but I thought I'd read it anyway.

Perhaps because I did not know what I was getting into this helped. The book is a series of essays about va
Shelly
Jan 30, 2016 Shelly rated it it was ok
I'm only giving this book 2 stars for the last chapter...the one that had any form of depth to it. I know the purpose of the book is to be funny, but if you took out "boobs" and bodily fluids this book would be a pamphlet. I have plenty of experience having breastfed six babies for anywhere from 7 to 14 months and I am not one of those people that think it's the best thing ever. I obviously have also dealt with plenty of other peoples' bodily fluids along the way. You would think that a nurse wo ...more
Hannah
Jan 07, 2015 Hannah rated it it was ok
I had this book in my Kindle app that I downloaded for free ages ago, so I read it.

When I say I "read" it, I mean I struggled through most of it, and skipped a lot of it.

Generally speaking, it isn't a terrible book. I think the writing is good as far as story-telling goes. It just reads more like a mommy blog than it does a book. It's really a series of essays that are meant to be funny and relatable for parents, but most aren't. I'd say a fourth of what I read was relatable for me as a parent,
Apr 22, 2015 Laura rated it liked it
There were things I thought were great about this book and things I was less sure about. The author and her family are very likable and easy to relate to. I did laugh out loud at a few points, because I had been in similar situations myself and she helped me see how funny things can be.

But the book felt a little long, and she didn't really hit her stride humor-wise until the middle of the book. While it was fun to relate to her (it was like hearing from s friend), that made it a less interesting
Stephanie
Feb 16, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. There was so many times when reading this book that I thought, "oh my gosh, that is my life!" It was absolutely hilarious. I cried from laughing at a few parts. It might not be as funny if you aren't a parent. The public bathrooms with kids scene has happened a lot in our family. Mommy juice sounds like a great idea...

(there is a bit of language)
Haily
Jun 27, 2012 Haily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robin O'Bryant is officially on my FAVORITE author list...I just started reading "Ketchup is a Vegetable: And Other Lies Moms Tell Themselves" and it is hilarious!! I have literally laughed out loud on several occasions. If you are a mommy....trust me when I say this is a must read!!!
dara
Dec 29, 2014 dara rated it really liked it
Robin have 3 daughters within 4 years. This book explain how hard motherhood is. I like the part when her daughter asking, yelling or have opinion on something. It's really funny or punny according to a 3 years old lil girl.

Emma yelled at her father when her baby sister wake up. But Mommy is not finish reading her bed time stories yet. So she asking her father to give the baby a bootle.
“DADDY! GIVE HUR SOME MILKS IN HUR BOTTLE! AND PUT HUR IN DA BED, HUR IS SWEEPY! 'KAY?”
The three-year-old yelli
Sarah Hardy
May 27, 2012 Sarah Hardy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Kind of like if the Girlfriends' Guide series author Vicki Iovine met Anne Lamott and they had a couple of drinks and sat around dishing about being a mom.

My favorite kind of humor--absolute honesty mixed with laugh-at-yourself wit.
Meredith Spidel
May 01, 2013 Meredith Spidel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robin has an amazing talent for being able to tell the cold, hard truths of motherhood (the things you would rather not think about!) but making you laugh so hard in the process, you'll be begging for Poise pads. Fantastic treat!
Olivia
Jun 30, 2012 Olivia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly one of the funniest books I've read in awhile! So refreshing to hear from a mom who sees the humor in everyday situations and can share the laughs without disparaging her role or her family.
Cyndi
Dec 08, 2012 Cyndi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great read!!! Women with children can relate to this whether they admit it or not. These girls are hysterical & Robin is a genius in the way she documents their stories.
Peyton Kennedy
Dec 07, 2011 Peyton Kennedy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book! Hands down one of the funniest out there. I would recommend this to anyone and everyone... mother, sister, best friend, neighbor, etc.
Maria
Jun 13, 2013 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book to give to a mom, not so much my type of book, still O'Bryant is hilarious and there's lots of laugh out loud moments.
Amy
Sep 18, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very funny & real! Totally relatable.
Pick Up Lane Book...: Grandmothers, MeeMaws and Mimis 4 6 Sep 11, 2013 03:24AM
Pick Up Lane Book...: Share BUT NOT WITH ME! 3 5 Aug 23, 2013 09:57PM
  • Confessions of a Scary Mommy: An Honest and Irreverent Look at Motherhood: The Good, The Bad, and the Scary
  • When Did I Get Like This?: The Screamer, the Worrier, the Dinosaur-Chicken-Nugget-Buyer, and Other Mothers I Swore I’d Never Be
  • Spending the Holidays with People I Want to Punch in the Throat: Yuletide Yahoos, Ho-Ho-Humblebraggers, and Other Seasonal Scourges
  • Daddy Needs a Drink: An Irreverent Look at Parenting from a Dad Who Truly Loves His Kids—Even When They're Driving Him Nuts
  • The Third Floor
  • Mother Shock: Loving Every (Other) Minute of It
  • The Second Nine Months: One Woman Tells the Real Truth about Becoming a Mom. Finally.
  • The Book of New Family Traditions: How to Create Great Rituals for Holidays and Every Day
  • Bright From the Start: The Simple, Science-Backed Way to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind from Birth to Age 3
  • Reasons My Kid Is Crying
  • Sh*tty Mom: The Parenting Guide for the Rest of Us
  • STFU, Parents: The Jaw-Dropping, Self-Indulgent, and Occasionally Rage-Inducing World of Parent  Overshare
  • I Just Want to Pee Alone: A Collection of Humorous Essays by Kick Ass Mom Bloggers
  • The Three-Martini Playdate: A Practical Guide to Happy Parenting
  • Blacklisted from the PTA
  • Confessions of the World's Best Father
  • The Sh!t No One Tells You: A Guide to Surviving Your Baby's First Year
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
Robin O'Bryant is a NYTs best-selling author and award winning humor columnist. She's a work-from-home-mom to three daughters born within four years. She finally figured out where babies come from and got herself under control. Robin survives the hilarity of motherhood by making fun of herself in her self-syndicated humor column, Robin's Chicks and on her blog by the same name.
More about Robin O'Bryant...

“Zeb. Married. Texas. Auburn. Aubrey. Savannah. Emma. Charleston. Sadie.” 0 likes
“(Quick soapbox moment here for you “animal people” — having a pet, even a dog, is not the same as having children. Case in point… you can lock your “baby” in a cage or take it outside, lock the door and ignore it for a few hours. Parents cannot, unless we would like a cage of our very own.)” 0 likes