Start by marking “Empty Places” as Want to Read:
Empty Places

Empty Places

The year is 1987. America is clawing its way out of the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. Washington pursues illegal and unpopular wars in Central America. In the wealthy desert playground of Palm Springs, storefronts that once catered to the rich sit empty and shuttered. Crowds of bored rich teenagers in designer clothing entertain themselves with ...more
Published October 12th 2013 by 32-32 North

To ask other readers questions about Empty Places, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Empty Places

The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell HammettThe Big Sleep by Raymond ChandlerThe Meat Market by James ChalkDouble Indemnity by James M. CainThe Black Dahlia by James Ellroy
Noir Fiction
47th out of 99 books — 156 voters
Shadow Roll by Ki LongfellowGood Dog, Bad Dog by Ki LongfellowAmerican Tabloid by James EllroyThe Girl in the Next Room by Ki LongfellowCaught Stealing by Charlie Huston
Best Noir of the 21st Century
93rd out of 170 books — 297 voters

More lists with this book...

Jola
Mar 24, 2014 Jola rated it it was amazing
Review also on www.jolasbookshelf.wordpress.com

This was a fantastic action thriller! I enjoyed every page, there never was a dull moment. The mystery was well thought out, with many twists and turns that I wasn't expecting. It was so layered and I liked that the person behind the murder wasn't the obvious one.
The characters were very likable and realistically written, I found myself captivated by their stories.
I recommend this book to every mystery and thriller fans!

Thanks to Martin Roy Hill fo
Patricia Reding
Dec 24, 2013 Patricia Reding rated it really liked it
I was provided with a copy of Empty Places by the author through the GoodReads “Reviews Initiative” group in exchange for my fair and honest review.

Robin Anderson, a journalist and aspiring news anchor, had been warned never to meet a contact in an out of the way place. But, defying better judgment, Robin agrees to a rendezvous in the desert dunes, a desolate location lit only by a three-quarter blue-white moon. Perhaps it should come as no surprise that, shortly thereafter, her body is found. W
Veronica ⭐️
Aug 05, 2014 Veronica ⭐️ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, crime

War correspondent Peter Brandt is back in Palm Springs to attend to the funeral of his ex-wife. He meets up with old friend Matt Banyon, retired cop turned private investigator. Peter is reluctant to get involved in the murder of his ex-wife until Matt explains to him that it was more than simply a date gone wrong. Robin’s death had all the marks of a planned hit. As they investigate they realise that Robin was onto something big and they don’t know who they can trust anymore.

It was very easy to
Seumas Gallacher
Nov 20, 2013 Seumas Gallacher rated it really liked it
...enjoyable, well-crafted, crime thriller... great read...

...a cracking mixture of angst, anger, and regrets for a lost relationship compose the main character, Pete Brandt, a jaded sometime investigative journalist who carries the physical and emotional marks of a life that could have been better lived... when his ex-wife is murdered, a message from a former pal brings him back to clear up her personal effects... the good and bad guys loom large across the pages, and it's a tease trying to sol
Liam Saville
Nov 25, 2013 Liam Saville rated it it was amazing
Crime writing at its best.

Every so often you come across an author whose work you just connect with—Martin Roy Hill is one such author.

Empty Places is Hill’s second full length novel, his first, The Killing Depths, was published in 2012. On this occasion Hill has chosen to write in the first person, and his prose is excellent. His sentences flow naturally, his dialogue is compelling, and he has an easy style that ensures that the writing doesn’t get in the way of the story.

It’s 1987, and Peter B
Michael
A TV reporter goes to a lonely place in the Palm Springs area. She is to meet a person she thinks could be the source of a story that could make her career. However when the car drives up to the meeting place, a man gets out and kills her.

We learn that this is a work of fiction combined with historical facts taking place in 1987.

The TV reporter, Robin, was divorced. Her former husband, Peter Brandt, is a war correspondent working in Honduras. He returns to California for Robin's funeral.

Peter is
Gyula
Nov 19, 2013 Gyula rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
I start with the title: it has two meanings. In the beginning of the book Robin Anderson is killed in a deserted place, alone. The other empty places aren't that obvious, they are hidden in the souls. Inside Peter, the ex-husband, who has seen brutal things leaving marks on him figuratively and literally. And inside men, who sold their humanity for money and power.

I like the voice of the author, his style is smooth, I enjoyed reading the story.

The characters are well drawn, not only the hero, bu
Jay Storey
Dec 30, 2013 Jay Storey rated it it was amazing
'Empty Places', is masterfully written, with tension on every page. Hill has an amazing ability make us feel like we’ve been magically dropped into a place and time, whether it’s the stifling closeness of the interior of a nuclear sub in ‘The Killing Depths’ or the surreal emptiness of the desert in ‘Empty Places’.

In 1987, world-weary journalist Peter Brandt returns from a devastating assignment in Central America to his old beat in Palm Springs, to attend the funeral of his ex-wife, Robin. When
Victoria Brinius
Dec 27, 2014 Victoria Brinius rated it really liked it
This is a perfect title for this book. This book is about the "empty places" inside ourselves that we go to when we have no choice. What would you do to survive? What would you do to get money? This book is for adults and it really made me think about the difficult choices that people are forced to make. I am giving this book a 4/5. I was given a copy to review through The Book Review Buzz, however all opinions are my own.
- See more at: http://dealsharingaunt.blogspot.com/2...
Julie Powell
Oct 13, 2013 Julie Powell rated it really liked it
I was given this book by the author for review and enjoyed it.

Within the darkened world we follow Peter Brandt, already weary of the human condition, who must investigate his ex-wife's death, he the only one its seems that takes it seriously.

I don't give spoilers so will say that this story is fast-paced, gritty (if somewhat despondent about the lives we lead and the powers that take advantage) and well written.

Worth reading if you enjoy crime novels with extra dimension.
Heather
Oct 23, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
Following peter as he tries to solve who killed his ex-wife is an exciting trip through a dark world. This book was wrote exceptionally well. If you love crime novels it's a recommended read.
Jody
Jody rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2016
Julius Butcher
Julius Butcher rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2014
Eunice Oweifaware
Eunice Oweifaware rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2014
Sandi
Sandi rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2015
Papi Z.
Papi Z. rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2013
Sarita
Sarita marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2013
Callie
Callie marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
Tanya Watt
Tanya Watt is currently reading it
Nov 23, 2013
cheryl
cheryl marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
Happy Bookaholic
Happy Bookaholic marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Cameron Wiggins
Cameron Wiggins marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Cariann
Cariann marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Ingrid
Ingrid marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
S.B. Redstone
S.B. Redstone marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Katya Freire
Katya Freire marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Susan Fuhrman
Susan Fuhrman marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Cassie
Cassie marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
James Morcan
James Morcan marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
finecat
finecat marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Sathwick
Sathwick marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Wendy Lowe
Wendy Lowe marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2015
Pastel
Pastel marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Jayd Shiels
Jayd Shiels marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Marti Garren
Marti Garren marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Heather Lowther
Heather Lowther marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2016
Martin Roy Hill is an award-winning author of mystery thrillers and science fiction. All of his books are available from Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Martin spent more than 20 years as a staff reporter and editor for newspapers and magazines before becoming a military analyst specializing in battlefield medical operations for the Navy. His freelance credits include Reader's Digest, LIFE, Newsweek,
More about Martin Roy Hill...