Start by marking “Stronger (Runaway, #1)” as Want to Read:
Stronger (Runaway, #1)

Stronger (Runaway #1)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  1,060 ratings  ·  108 reviews
My name is Jasmine and I have HIV.

I was 14 years old the first time my mother’s boyfriend hit me and at the age of 18, I was forced to be a prostitute. Cast away by the same people I thought were family, I was ready to take my own life. Until I met Nate. He didn't run away when I said I was sick. But I wonder why a handsome, funny, Mr. Right like him would love someone lik
Published October 10th 2013 by Rascal Hearts

To ask other readers questions about Stronger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stronger

Evermore by Alyson NoelNorth of Beautiful by Justina ChenSelina Penaluna by Jan PageThis Lullaby by Sarah DessenBewitching Love Potions & Charms by Raven Tempest
Cover Couples
301st out of 741 books — 569 voters
Brie Embraces the Heart of Submission by Red PhoenixMine by Katy EvansBrie Surrenders her Heart by Red PhoenixTouched by You by T.H. SnyderTouch Me by T.H. Snyder
OMC's Top Books of November 2013
172nd out of 279 books — 611 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelli
quick review..

Pro
-always something going on
-character traits
-interesting situations

Con
-I wish the synopsis didn't give so much detail away
-moves too quickly for me, loose ends
-room to improve character and plot development
Jena Crawford
Well let me just say this book was way better than I thought it was going to be!! I was hesitant to read it because a love story with HIV sounded terrible. However this really had some of the dark elements that I love in a story and the sad and loving moments that I also love. Poor Jasmine though, her story is really fucking rough!! When she meets Nate and things came into light I just cried. It's been awhile for me to have a book make me cry! I recommend this one for sure, it short but damn doe ...more
Jennifer Kaster
Overall, I liked this book. But, I did have a few problems with it. Mostly the fact that she (the main character) had all of this horrible stuff happen to her in her past and it was like it all went away when she met Nate. Like "Oh he's so nice to me" so I can just forget anything happened to me and act "normal" which I can tell you is not accurate of a sexual assault survivor. Or an abuse survivor at all. Another thing that bothered me was Brenda and her family's reaction to her condition. They ...more
~~Susan~~
This is a roller coaster of a read,
So many problems and heartache all packed into 131 pages
This is the first of the series and although I enjoyed the writing style, I found the plot too unbelievable.
Jasmine's life would have been hard with a fraction of the problems she faced and I think I would have had a easier time making an emotional connection rather then an outsider looking in. would I read the rest of the series? I'm really not sure, although the blurbs do look intriguing.
Jacqueline's Reads
Nov 13, 2013 Jacqueline's Reads marked it as freebie
Recommended to Jacqueline's Reads by: Erin
Free - > HERE
Kimberly Sarcinello
A little bit of forgiveness asked for in advance, I'm not very good at writing reviews.)

If you are looking for a very "quick read" this is a good choice.
(I finished it within a few hours.)

The preview of the book gives far too much away. I did not see the preview, or I may not have read it at all, since the preview basically gives away the most significant turn in the story which doesn't occur until halfway through.

A generic heads-up: there are quite a few very graphic descriptions of rape and
Emmie
My review:

I was so happy to stumble across this book. I enjoyed it immensely. It was different from the run of the mill my-life-is-awful-book. This book makes you re-evaluate your life. You realise that there are people who are floored by the happenings in their lives, but they get up and face it and survive it. It made me appreciate what I have and see life from a different perspective. Brilliant. Please read. You will not be wasting your time!

Synopsis:

Jasmine had all but given up on life after
Annmarie
Jasmine is acting like a brat. Jack is offering her her own room and because it's in the attic she's disappointed. Jasmine does not want to live with Jack because she never met him, yet she's going to live with Mama after just meeting her.

Please explain why Jack treated Jasmine the way he did, I do not understand his behavior? Why in the first place would Fiona love a man that hurts her daughter and then drink herself to death. This is too unbelievable. Fiona was a stupid mother for not protecti
Deanna
Admittedly, I got this book because it had the same cover model as Samantha Young's On Dublin Street, and she is one of my all-time favorite authors. (Oddly enough, Young's On Dublin Street series is the only work of hers that I haven't read.)

And I only started reading this because I saw some review of it from one of the bloggers I follow, and I was like, "Hey. I have that book, and this person said it was really good. I should read it."

And so I did.

WOW. That's what I gotta say. Wow.

The story wa
Sara Richards
While the idea behind the story was fine, it was very poorly constructed. I don't know if it was intended as a novella, but there was way too much history to make it work as such a short story. I think things moved too fast. You're finally getting into to one chapter of her life then it suddenly shifts and you're left wondering why the writer even bothered.
This book was utterly predictable and chalk full of clichés. "I roamed the street for hours, trying to find the pieces of my broken heart."
Nicki
I felt like this was two different books. SPOILERS..............
The first half was harrowing. Young girl moves in to the home of her mothers abusive boyfriend. Mother eventually dies from alcohol abuse (probably mixed in with physical abuse). Boyfriend then abuses the girl to the point she runs away to live on the streets.
Girl is rescued by the owner of a nightclub, but wouldn't you know it, that turns out to be a brothel and more physical abuse follows.
Girl does not insist her clients use con
Linda Cotter
This was a crazy, wild, fun ride. I really enjoyed the dynamic between the main characters, and felt such pity, fear, love, joy and finally comfort with this journey.
Melissa King
This was a very heart wrenching story, so grab the tissue. Jasmine has been through so much in her short life. She survived being drugged, sold for sex, physical and sexual abuse. She was betrayed by several people that she thought had cared and wanted to help her. She decided to end her life when she is stopped by a stranger. This stranger befriends her and shows her what happiness and love is. Then her life comes crashing down on her once again, but she is strong enough to stand on her own.

I w
Rona Aranas
CONTAINS SPOILERS!

This book was good, but it moved waaaay too fast.
Jasmine is a girl, who gets abused by her mothers new boyfriend, her mother dies of choking on alcohol, she becomes a prostitute, she runs away again, finds a family, moves in with them, life is going fine,and then she has HIV, the family hates her, and runs away yet again, she meets a guy and moves in with him?? they fall in love, she finds out he has cancer by herself, she hates him, she runs away yet again. she then finds an
Rebecca
Original (full) review on GotToReadThoseBooks

Stronger is an unbelievably touching new adult story. I’ve never really cried over a story or movie, but this story brought tears to my eyes.
Jasmine is a strong person, even after all she's been through. And Nate is cool too. He made me smile when the story made me oh so sad. But I thought the author could have given him more characteristics. I don’t know how old Nate is. I only know he is a ‘man’. For all I know he could well be fourty years old.

Str
Hollie
This was basically 139 pages of heartache. The heroine in this story seemed to drift from one wretched situation to another continually throughout. This was a sad and depressing read, but it was quite captivating and emotionally charged. I'm undecided yet on reading book 2. I may if it's moderately priced.
Liz johnson
A lot happened in quite a short book, Jasmine was really put through the mill. I think if the book had been longer there would have been a breathing space between events and more character development. However this is not a story where the love interest is there from the beginning, and maybe I would have been annoyed if the author had spent loads of time on plot points that didn't involve the hero? I don't know for sure. It was important to tell Jasmine's story and I can imagine that there are a ...more
Cecily Nicklow
this book was beyond depressing it literally brought my whole mood down i thought I was reading a love story where exactly was the love she has hiv he has cancer they fall in love and he's going to die in a year the end what the hell!!!
April Rose Mossow
I added this book to my amazon wishlist, having completely forgotten about it. It must have been there for a couple of months. I totally forgot what the synopsis was (which was a good thing, because reading it would have spoiled the unexpected turns the book takes) and dove right into the book last night. I didn't want to put it down. The author really made you feel for the main character(s). Aside from some typos, I really enjoyed this book and found it to be heart wrenching and inspirational. ...more
Crystal Zapata
Jasmine is definitely a strong willed person. This book was very emotional. So much happened in such a short amount of time for her.
Growing up with one parent who barely made ends meet, to moving in with a sociopath, nearly escaping death, only to be on the streets-homeless.
After a while on the streets she finally turns 18. This is where she meets Momma, a woman who takes her in without a second’s thought. Only to use her as a prostitute in her club.
Jasmine has a lot happen to her but after ev
Toni
This book was a major Whoa... what the heck did I get myself into? type of read.

It plays with you heart. It toys with you. It turns you into a cat and dangles the plot in front of you like a string and you can't help but follow it wherever it takes you - even if your know your heart will bleed because of it.

The way Nate and Jasmine meet - there circumstances - pulls at you. It makes you believe that life has a way of fixing the bad in the past. It makes you believe that the pain and fear and hur
Sarah :)
Not something I would usual read...but was surprised I must say... Review to come
Cafebiblioart
I started reading this book because it was free on Amazon yesterday. It was not the best book I have ever read or anything of the sort, but it was an interesting read. The book is very short and very easy to read so it does not take too much of your time.

The story is interesting, it had enough details, I did not feel like there was something missing. It considered it a short story and I was content with the amount of details it contained.

The plot is interesting, it shows that life is not always
carol
Aug 17, 2014 carol rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Over thirteens
Recommended to carol by: Cal
This story was better than I'd expected. It is a novella and the first I had read from Lexie Ray.

This story follows the character Jasmine, whose early years of poverty then violence find her a young runaway picked up by an apparently kind and caring woman her staff call Mama...she leads her into prostitution and is a thoroughly nasty uncaring piece of work when it comes to anything going wrong in her brothel/nightclub.

This follows Jasmine and eventually through much trauma Jasmine's character de
Also posted to Jen in Bookland

I really wanted to like Stronger. It is the kind of story I enjoy reading. This story though was too simple. Very few, if any, people could go through what Jasmine does and just instantly be okay. It just didn't make any sense to me.

So Jasmine has a horrible past when the story opens. Her mom is kind of a mess, but she manages. That is until she meets and moves them in with her horrible abusive boyfriend (and then turns into a major alcoholic). Things could still ha
Carla
I really liked this story from the beginning. I loved that despite all of the pain, heartache, awful shit Jasmine went through, she pushed through and came a little bit stronger and tougher each time. I couldn't dealing with some of the things she did, but see that it's possible. I thought once she got away from the sadistic asshole Jack and found a place at Mama's, things would be good, but after seeing that she only saw dollar signs, kind of made me sad. I was happy when she found a 'home' wit ...more
Lisa marie
Oh boy Lexie Ray sure throws some tough issues at you,
physical,mental and sexual abuse
prostitution, HIV and Cancer to name just a few .
Jasmine is really put through the ringer and at one point i wanted to stop reading because it seemed a bit to much.
Thought Nate was sweet and he excepted everything with ease and really helped jasmine to heal.
Didnt finish this feeling all gooey just a bit dumbstruck and slightly depressed even though it was a HEA for her :(
Suas
Suzie Parker
This book broke my heart to pieces. Jasmine has had the worst luck in her life. When she finally feels like things are looking up, things get even worse. While she is at her lowest point in her life sometbing changes. Will she finally find the happiness and love that she has been searching for? That is the question. I am in live with her courage. I can't eait to see what comes next for her.
Brittany McCliggott
I feel like everything progressed in this book too quickly. She'd leave one place to just quickly turn around and fall into something new. It all just kept falling into her lap, regardless if it was good or bad. I still think there should have been more in between. The storyline was good but it just kept going from Point A to Point B with no real adventure in between.
  • Be Here Now
  • Your Favorite Girl (YFG, #1)
  • Lost and Found: The Complete Series
  • Forever Mine
  • In the Moment (Moments, #1)
  • Blurred Lines: Volumes 1-4 (Blurred Lines, #1-4)
  • Filthy 2 (Filthy, #2)
  • Taming Vegas (Vegas, #1)
  • First Position
  • Falling Harder
  • The Other Sister (Sister, #1)
  • Precise (Pulling Me Under, #0.5)
  • Never Say Never: Part 1
  • Because of Lucy (Butterfly Days, #1)
  • Waiting for Grace
  • Apples & Oranges: Can Two Opposites Make Great Recipes Together? (This & That, #2 )
  • Surrender to Fate (Fate's Path, #1)
  • Everything Bared (Six-Alarm Sexy, #2)

Runaway (5 books)
  • Braver (Runaway, #2)
  • Wiser (Runaway, #3)
  • Selfless (Runaway, #4)
  • Relentless (Runaway, #5)
Worthy, Part 1 (Worthy, #1) Worthy, Part 3 (Worthy, #3) Worthy, Part 2 (Worthy, #2) Hidden (To Love A Killer #1) Braver (Runaway, #2)