Start by marking “Out of the Storm” as Want to Read:

Out of the Storm

War hero Eric Montgomery returns from Iraq, hoping to revive his family's Cape Cod marina and marry his childhood sweetheart. When his wife and unborn child die in a tragic auto accident Eric's dreams are shattered. He spends long months grieving, losing himself in alcohol, isolation, and anger. Then Ashley Fitzhugh, a young woman he's met only once, appears on his doorste ...more
Published October 8th 2013 by The Wild Rose Press, Inc. (first published September 22nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Storm

Virginia Hill
Although there was a lot going on: secrets, danger, violence, and a suggested mutual attraction between the H and h, the entirety of the book felt uninspiring. I never felt...anything. No dread, no anxiousness, and no feeling of any real chemistry between Eric and Ashley. I want an edgy sort of heat in a romantic suspense, and I just didn't feel it in this one. :(
Ester
Feb 10, 2017 Ester rated it it was amazing
A storm was brewing, it was lightning and pouring rain. When a young woman knocked on Eric's front door.. She was requesting him to give her a place to stay, then she wanted him to let a little girl and a dog to be welcomed also. It had been ten years since he had seen the young woman and he realized she was the daughter of his brother's girlfriend. He let her in and the others also. Without his realizing it , it will become a drama that slowly unfolds. It could also bring him some happiness in ...more
marie rupert
Mar 20, 2017 marie rupert rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
language

This book has too much bad language to be enjoyed. I like to recommend books to my friends but would be embarrassed to do so.
JACK
Mar 21, 2017 JACK rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read

Held my attention throughout. Only question is in the opening was mentioned a physical storm however no storm occurred throw out the story?
Black Butterfly
I STUMBLED ON THIS BY ACCIDENT IT SOUNDED INTERESTING AND WAS ON SALE. WELLLL! THIS WAS REALLY, REALLY, GOOD I LOVED IT! THIS WAS AS ADVERTISED THRILLER/ACTION/ADVENTURE/ROMANCE WITH A GREAT STORYLINE AND CHARACTERS. THE SCARY THING IS THE STORYLINE (had me not trusting anyone) COULD HAVE BEEN RIPPED FROM TODAY’S HEADLINES. THIS WAS SOME SCARY SH*T! WHO DO YOU TURN TO WHEN THE LINES BETWEEN THE GOOD & THE BAD GUY’S ARE SO BLURRED YOU CAN’T TELL THE DIFFERENCE. ;D
Jenny
Feb 27, 2017 Jenny rated it did not like it
When I started reading this story, I was expecting much, just the usual entertaining simple romance. There were times where it was suspenseful and I wanted to know more but that was it. There was not a lot of development in the characters. The Hero in this story was not written well. He's suppose to be a smart man that was in the military in some sort of special forces, trained in suspicious activity and combat, but he sure does lack all of that in his actions in the book. He has lots of intuiti ...more
Doni
Feb 28, 2017 Doni rated it really liked it
Wow! A thriller and a romance; I will not downplay the thriller aspect by calling it a romantic thriller.
While reading OUT OF THE STORM I had to stop and breathe occasionally, as the book kept me almost perpetually on edge. The reader is right there, in the story, riding piggyback within the mind of the protaganist.

I haven't been this breathless over a plot in quite some time. If you like thrillers READ THIS BOOK!
Louise Larson
Mar 02, 2017 Louise Larson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read.

Enjoyed it. It is a good entertaining read. Would recommend it to friends and family. Personable characterizations through out the story.
Sherry Bledsoe
Feb 22, 2017 Sherry Bledsoe rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rather goofy

Your pregnant wife dies in a accident an the guy is mourning his loss and a young woman and her child show's up on your doorstop one rainy night. Suddenly all kind of special agents show up trying to stop some high official from staging a 9/11 type hoax and this girl knows too much and, of course, he is an ex-soldier who in a matter of a weekend falls in love with her and .......blah, blah, blah! Skip this book. Just silly.
Sharon Brown
Feb 26, 2017 Sharon Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book!

The mystery kept you on the edge with only hints of which direction the characters would go. Very interesting book.
Bonnye Reed
Apr 03, 2017 Bonnye Reed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GNA I received a free electronic copy of this novel from Netgalley, Kevin V. Symmons, and Wild Rose Press, Inc. in exchange for an honest review. Thank you all, for sharing your hard work with me.

This is an excellent novel. The classification of this work is ambiguous - it is neither a romance, nor an action novel, neither does it have enough terror to sit there with Steven King. There are politics involved, and retired soldiers and Washington federal cops but it is not a military or spy novel.
Elizabeth Benz
Feb 17, 2017 Elizabeth Benz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Captivating Mystery

A nail biting that keeps you to the edge of your seat. Then throw in a bit of romance and a bit of back ground information and you have a great book.
Suze
Feb 12, 2017 Suze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OUT OF THE STORM

Suspense thriller, with light romance. Ashley shows up on Eric's doorstep needing shelter. There's a mystery surrounding her which comes to light slowly as the story progresses. The last third of the book is action packed, a n exciting read.
David Litwack
Dec 06, 2013 David Litwack rated it it was amazing
Out of the storm begins with two very different, but compelling characters. Eric is a retired special forces hero who is trying unsuccessfully to get on with his life after the tragic death of his wife and unborn child. Ashley is a young woman who enters his world, literally out of the storm. Ashley is charming, but complex, and above all running from some mysterious past. She becomes a ray of hope for Eric, a way of emerging from his dark days, though the mystery surrounding her holds him back. ...more
Deb Timm
Feb 10, 2017 Deb Timm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent reading

This is the first book I have read by Kevin Summons. This book grab me with the first paragraph . I thought I figured everything out about the middle of the book, but was completely wrong and surprise at the end. I will definitely be reading more of his books. I highly recommend this book.
Lynn
Sep 15, 2014 Lynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goodreads
Great and fast-moving story ... very well written ... kept me on the edge of my seat. Out of the Storm is a book you should not start unless you are planning on ignoring everything else until you are finished! Is Ashley really as sweet as she seems? And who is after her .. and why? The first chapter had me totally hooked. Lots of plot twists and turns, ... and to be honest, I was really not sure who was trustworthy and who was not until right near the end ... And, what's a good book without some ...more
Lyn Ehley
Mar 06, 2016 Lyn Ehley rated it it was amazing

“Out of the Storm” was a pleasant surprise! I wasn’t sure what to expect since I had not read Mr. Symmons work before but am a fan of good romantic suspense. Rather than retell the story, I will state that this suspenseful story does not get boring or lose its pace like so many do mid-storyline. The romance side of the story, expertly wound around the mystery and action in the story, grabs your heart as you fall for each of the characters. The ending, including some surprises, neatly winds up ea
Tom
Feb 28, 2014 Tom rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I don't typically delve in to the romantic mystery/suspense novels, but after receiving this via a Goodreads giveway, I have to say this book was a real winner. The best thing you can say about any book is that you had a hard time putting it down...I found myself in just that position on more than one occasion while reading Out of the Storm. A tantalizing storyline combined with skillful delivery and a good pace...excellent.

I must say though, the liberal use of "he found her eyes" or some other
Bonnie
Nov 16, 2014 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
I won this book and must admit the Kevin Symmons is a new author to me. I loved this book and look forward to reading more of his works. I like his style of writing. It had a few twists to the story line that I did not expect but was easy to follow. In truth I did not want to put the book down. I think you will enjoy this book as much as I did. Thanks you Kevin Symmons and Goodreads for the chance to win this good book!!!!
Deborah Peters
Dec 29, 2015 Deborah Peters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kevin V. Symmons knows how to write a great story.

A well written spy thriller with a whole lot of mystery, intrigue and suspense all rolled into one. This book keeps you wanting to see what happens from page to page. Well written and fast paced. I read it all in one sitting. Will be enjoying more books from this author.
harriett sherman
Jan 21, 2016 harriett sherman rated it really liked it
This was a quick and interesting read which I found on Good Reads. It was not free but very reasonable. I think the author is good. He is not a David Baldacci yet but he has the potential of being in that category. The characters lacked depth. I just was wishing for more regarding the overall book. I would read his other books. I hope he keeps writing and improving.
Christine
Dec 30, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it
Nothing is ever what it seems. Eric is down in the dumps and who can blame him, after all that has happened. Ashley knocks on his door for help and boy does she need it. I enjoyed this book with all its twists and turns.
Steven P. Marini
Nov 06, 2013 Steven P. Marini rated it it was amazing
A fun read from Kevin Symmons, with suspense, intrigue, action and romance. What more could you want?

A hero settles down on Cape Cod for the good life, but something goes wrong. I can identify with that. This is an outstanding work from Kevin.
Brenda Deljanovan
Jan 26, 2016 Brenda Deljanovan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kept me intrigued throughout the book

I liked this book a lot even though it was totally out of the ordinary for the type of books I normally read. Lots of twists to keep you interested.
Christi Johnson
Feb 23, 2014 Christi Johnson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Amazing book, well written! The author did a great job portraying each character. Just when I thought I had the twists figured out, it took another one. I won this book on goodreads.com on a first read giveaway!
Harry F. Sharp, II
Gripping

The book was fascinating in its unanswered questions. One never knew who really was friend or foe. I would recommend it to anyone who likes intrigue and excitement.
Shay Leszinske
Nov 23, 2013 Shay Leszinske rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Page turning thriller. Was hard to put down. The life of eric and ashley was easy to follow and get caught up in. A must read for any mystery fan. I have recieved this book through goodreads.
Marvina
May 25, 2016 Marvina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Out of the Storm

This was a excellent book to read. I couldn't put this book down. Great ending I can't wait to read another one of his book.
L.A. Remenicky
Nov 24, 2013 L.A. Remenicky rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Jacki
Jacki rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Breakpoint (High Risk, #4)
  • Prayer at Rumayla: A Novel of the Gulf War
  • Beyond Valor
  • Lady Justice and the Vet
  • Undercover (The Surgical Strike Unit, #0.5)
  • Colorado Wild (Colorado Heart, #1)
  • Way of the Warrior (Troubleshooters, #16.7; Deep Six, #0.5; Elite Force, #4.5; Justiss Alliance, #3.5; West Coast Navy SEALs, #3.5; Night Stalkers, #11.1; Protect and Serve, #0.5; Endgame Ops, #0.5)
  • An American Outlaw
  • The Ezekiel Project
  • Wounded (Aspen, #0.5)
  • Memoirs of an Outlaw: Life in the Sandbox
  • Always Ready
  • Brenda's Christmas Desire (Dreams Come True #2)
  • Castigo Cay
  • In High Places
  • Chocolate Covered Billionaire Navy SEAL
  • Promises in the Dark (Shadow Force, #2)
  • A Hero to Come Home To (Tallgrass, #1)
Kevin has a BS and an MBA. He has attended the prestigious New England Conservatory of Music and studied in France. After a successful career in business management and consulting, he returned to his first love: writing. His first novel, a spell-binding paranormal romance titled "Rite of Passage" is set in the chaotic period after World War II. It's received dozens of great reviews and was a RomCo ...more
More about Kevin V. Symmons...