Start by marking “The Blood That Cries in the Ground” as Want to Read:
The Blood That Cries in the Ground

Read Excerpt

The Blood That Cries in the Ground

"The Greatest Myth Ever Dispelled"

Italy. A tough master of novices, Father Dante encounters the bold young priest Antonio who challenges his identity and accuses him of being the Saint Nicholas. But despite the
Father faking his death, a determined Antonio discovers a rather alive Dante arrayed in kilt and armor.

In return for Antonio’s silence—and to protect the town from a
Paperback, Trade, 218 pages
Published December 6th 2013 by Christian Books Today (first published October 21st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Blood That Cries in the Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blood That Cries in the Ground

Stephen
Dec 12, 2014 Stephen rated it liked it
I received this book from a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

This book tried to be so many things. The author blended history, folklore, religion, and fantasy into one broad adventure and tried to make it fit into 218 pages.
The author's knowledge of legends and myths and history were impressive. Unfortunately it was too much for one story. I wanted to love this, but in many places I just felt lost. The story didn't feel cohesive nor did it have a smooth flow. Truly the best part happens in the l
Valerie
Nov 25, 2013 Valerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-ive-read
Disclaimer: I received this book in exchange for an honest review. Review is 100% my honest thoughts and feelings!

The plot to this book was really good. The story line was awesome. St. Nicholas on a whole new level! Its deep, dark, and mysterious with lots of twists and turns. The battles in the book were epic. This book had the supernatural along with a feel of medieval to it. This was the first book I read from the author and the first book in this type of genre and I was very pleased!

At the
JC
Dec 21, 2013 JC rated it liked it
This book was really hard for me to get into. I must say that a book's cover has a huge influence on me (I know it shouldn't) and the cover on this just looks like a bunch of random computer game characters. Anyways, the actual story itself is alright, but a historical fantasy piece just wasn't going to do it for me. I found my interest in and out as the book went along as there were things that I didn't totally understand and so lost focus. If you like a good history novel or fantasy book, then ...more
Julia Belfast
Jul 31, 2014 Julia Belfast rated it it was amazing
+I loved, loved, loved this novel. If you're like me you're rather weary of the usual Christmas fare of commercialism, a sanitized infant Jesus as if totally separated from the salvation message, etc. Blech. Then we get Saint Nicholas the Sorcerer. Wow.

Finally a new twist on the Christmas story if not the entire season.

I realize that many Christians these days won't touch fantasy books because of the "magic" elements. In this case you would be wrong to miss it. As much as this is easy to read, i
Kristin
Nov 29, 2013 Kristin rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
I'd like to thank the author and Promotional Book Tours for allowing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Overall, I found the book to be a bit hard to read. It took me awhile to realize there were rather large jumps in time between the chapters. I wish that had been better elucidated...just a quick date at the beginning of each chapter would have been fine for me. It also would have helped place some of the people, places and things in the chapters a little better.
I don't thi
Librarian Judith
Jan 30, 2015 Librarian Judith rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, mystery
The Blood that Cries from the Ground is an intensely detailed book--a look at St. Nicholas you've never seen. As the main character himself says-- he's not jolly-- and resents what society has twisted his character to be. This then is Nicholas' effort to tell the "true story" of his life.

It begins with a young novice in the early 1900s, and his curiosity about Father Damien. Who is this strange man who can ignore the elements and raise the dead? Set in the framework of this young man's questions
Debra Martin
Nov 27, 2013 Debra Martin rated it really liked it
When Father Dante dies, the young monk Antonio feels something is amiss. When he sees a shadow, he's convinced that Father Dante is still alive. He refuses to give up and when he catches up with the supposedly dead Dante, he's in for more than he bargained for. Antonio suspects that Dante is the famed St. Nicholas. In exchange for his silence, Dante/Nicholas agrees to tell his life story.

This is a dark retelling of St. Nicholas' life and begins at the beginning - when sorcerers ruled Kings in th
Lyle Appleyard
Jun 22, 2014 Lyle Appleyard rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received a copy of this book through a Goodreads Giveaway contest.

I have been studying the the life and legend of Saint Nicholaus for a long time. It goes with my fascination of the evolution of Chistmas. The author had taken some liberties and come up with a fictional version of the life of Saint Nicholaus. He has changed him from a pious bishop to an immortal pagan. His relationship with Black Peter was now adversative. This became the main conflict in the story.

There were a few jumps in the
JoJo Sutis
Jan 22, 2014 JoJo Sutis rated it it was amazing
3 COPIES UP FOR GRABS HERE: http://jojosutiscorner.wordpress.com/...
HURRY! Giveaway Ends 1/25/14
This book was unlike anything I had ever read and it was awesome!
Such a thrilling tale full of twists and turns, adventure and danger.
It kept me on the edge of my seat, even as Dante reveals his story to Antonio, I too, was completely captivated.
The mystery and darkness and wonder surrounding this narrative character had me enthralled and I could not stop reading!
This story sucks you in and doesn’t le
Michael Healy
Feb 07, 2014 Michael Healy rated it really liked it
I received this book through Goodreads first reads.

While I cannot speak as to it's accuracy to the lore regarding St. Nicholas I found this dark tale quiet enthralling. A solid recommendation to anyone who might want to see a darker take on the man distanced from all the Christmas stuff that has been tied to him.
Taylor
Aug 11, 2014 Taylor rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I tried really hard to finish this novel. But the grammer and the wording literally made me cringe every other scentence. It was an interesting idea but I just couldn't finish it.
Dylan Millman
Dylan Millman rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2014
Patti
Feb 14, 2014 Patti rated it it was ok
Interesting story. Thank you for the give away!
Brendan Van
Brendan Van rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2013
Jen Rattie
Jen Rattie rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2013
Ariel Neves
Ariel Neves rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2014
Samantha
Samantha rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2014
Karen
Karen rated it did not like it
Oct 03, 2014
Frederick Rotzien
Frederick Rotzien marked it as to-read
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Cindy Gates
Cindy Gates marked it as to-read
Sylvie
Sylvie marked it as to-read
Marcie
Marcie marked it as to-read
Bekki
Bekki marked it as to-read
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Teresa Lavender
Teresa Lavender marked it as to-read
Laura Dobb
Laura Dobb marked it as to-read
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Michelle & Tony
Michelle & Tony marked it as to-read
Sandy Klocinski
Sandy Klocinski marked it as to-read
Kim McHughes
Kim McHughes marked it as to-read
Michelle St. James
Michelle St. James marked it as to-read
Daniela
Daniela marked it as to-read
Kim Coomey
Kim Coomey marked it as to-read
Misty Rummell
Misty Rummell marked it as to-read
Tarran
Tarran marked it as to-read
Anne Gooch
Anne Gooch marked it as to-read
Laura Pope
Laura Pope marked it as to-read
Kenny Diveley
Kenny Diveley marked it as to-read
Miguel Ambriz
Miguel Ambriz marked it as to-read
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Mandy Dobarro
Mandy Dobarro marked it as to-read
Kathy Lavoie
Kathy Lavoie marked it as to-read
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
  • The Fisherman's Wife: The Gospel According to St. Peter's Spouse
  • Papal Bull: An Ex-Catholic Calls Out the Catholic Church
  • The Virgin of the Wind Rose: A Christopher Columbus Mystery-Thriller
  • The Time Hunters and the Spear of Fate (Time Hunters, #3)
  • Old Testament Theology: Reading the Hebrew Bible as Christian Scripture
  • Serranto's Redemption (Breaking Out)
  • The First Christmas Carol
  • Letters from Melite
  • The List Conspiracy (Wallis Jones, #1)
  • A Whisper From Eden
  • The Overcoming Life
  • Morning's Journey (The Dragon's Dove Chronicles, #2)
  • To Raise Up a Nation: John Brown, Frederick Douglass, and the Making of a Free Country
  • Dryad
  • Missing in Egypt
  • Desert Rains (Tales of Balia, #3)
  • Sword & Mythos
  • Secret of the Lost Settlement: The Duty of Warriors
Gregory Bellarmine is the author of the bestselling Monthly Roman Breviary and The Blood That Cries in the Ground, part of The Father Dante Journals. Gregory learned early on that "someone always hates you for something, but only hope in a good God can bring you love for nothing." Superior General Emeritus of the SSJC, Gregory is now a non-denominational, Didache Christian who lives a happy though ...more
More about Gregory Bellarmine...