Start by marking “No Man is an Island and other short stories” as Want to Read:
No Man is an Island and other short stories

No Man is an Island and other short stories

This is Sonya's second anthology of short stories, and like her first: 2000 Words, this is an exploration of human nature and how people react to the events which play a part of their everyday existence.
Kindle Edition
Published October 10th 2013 (first published October 9th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about No Man is an Island and other short stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Man is an Island and other short stories

Christoph Fischer
Oct 18, 2013 Christoph Fischer rated it it was amazing
"No Man is an Island and other short stories" by Sonya C. Dodd is a thoughtful and reflective selection of short stories about human relationships of all kinds: An actress who needs to decide between her love and her career, the wife of a soldier waiting for him to return, the recently widowed man, the daughter who loses the mother she hated to name some that particularly moved me.
Dodd takes her readers into many unique relationships and situations - even a bank robbery - with a skill for observ
Oleg
Oct 23, 2013 Oleg rated it it was amazing
This collection of short stories, as I see it, is about relationships and circumstance. Some stories are written in the language of feelings and subtle touches, an imagery that borders on the tactile, like in "Autumn leaves" and "Alone." Some stories are the "What if?" scenarios, like the "Land of our Fathers," and some are clever, contemporary pieces like "Tomorrow" and "Coasting."

The style of writing varies with the theme, underlining the author's ability to handle multiple and varied genres.
B.J. Robinson
Feb 17, 2014 B.J. Robinson rated it it was amazing
Over twenty short stories about life and its situations we often find ourselves having to face. Packed full of love, passion, heartache, waiting, and obstacles. If you haven't been a fan of short stories, you might be after reading these. You can identify and connect to discover that truly no man or woman is an island.
Nicolas Wilson
Mar 31, 2014 Nicolas Wilson rated it liked it
This review is written by Nic's wife.
This collection is the best thing I've read by Dodd, mainly because the stories are heartfelt. Not all of the concepts behind them are especially unique, but there is a lot more passion in in them.

I still have substantial pet peeves with her writing, in particular her sentence construction. A lot of times, her structure veers into dangling participles, passive voice, or weirdness, and it jerks me out of the story. While I read her writing, I reverse the order
Julia
Dec 07, 2013 Julia rated it it was amazing
A wonderful and varied collection

“No Man is An Island and Other Short Stories” by Sonya C. Dodd is a delightful collection of short stories that will take you an emotional and intellectual journey into yourself, your life, and the human condition.

Sonya C. Dodd is able to write stories in different genres, on a wide variety of topics, and she does it very well. The issues she tackles in her stories range from the hardships and miracles of pregnancy to the bittersweet taste of a forbidden romance
Claudette Alexander
Apr 19, 2014 Claudette Alexander rated it liked it
The opening story read like a long drawn out poem. If you are not into poetry that maybe a turn off. It did not bother me too much because I like poetry. I did feel the story ended abruptly.

The stories pulled at my heart strings because it was one sad story after another. I kept hoping for some fun story in the mix to give my sad heart a break.

Even when Ms Dodd managed to have a happy ending in a story she could not help herself by preceding it with a tragedy or accident.

Baa Black Sheep was a po
Dani Hermit
Oct 30, 2013 Dani Hermit rated it really liked it
Wow, what a collection!

I am not usually a fan of short stories. They often feel incomplete. But not so with these from Sonya Dodd. From a bank robbery to an unusual take on Shakespeare's work of "Hamlet", these stories are fresh and exciting. Several of them I read multiple times, going back over and savoring the relationships portrayed and the characters shared.

I found the stories to be full of wisdom and wit, showing an understanding of the human heart that really impressed me. I loved the wri
Celia Kennedy
Jul 29, 2014 Celia Kennedy rated it really liked it
This is the first book of Sonya Dodd's that I have read. I'm thrilled that it was a collection of short stories; her poetic writing through a multitude of subject matters was impressive to follow.

There is a lightness to her touch and a delicacy to her text that drew me into each tale quickly and led me through to the end - but completely enthralled. A skill I marvel at.

Not having reviewed a collection of short stories before, I can say that while some tales were more to my liking than others, al
Jada Ryker
Aug 10, 2016 Jada Ryker rated it it was amazing
Short Stories Spanning the Human Condition

Sonya Dodd presents twenty-one short stories in her book No Man is an Island. A master of the short story format, Ms. Dodd offers vignettes on the human condition.

My favorite story is Fatally Flawed. The identical twins pull pranks, such as fooling people at school. As the boys grow into men, they fall in the wrong crowd. They graduate from pranks in their childhood to more sinister actions.

Ms. Dodd's eclectic collection offers something for everyone.

James Chalk
Feb 10, 2014 James Chalk rated it it was amazing
Quality Writing with Thought Provoking Themes
In this collection of short stories the author, Sonya C. Dodd, demonstrates her mastery of prose and story telling. The style, genre, and tempo of each story varies with its topic and thematic content. To borrow from the title of the collection, each story could in fact be an island of reader satisfaction and yet they blend together into a cohesive reflection of the human condition and interpersonal relationships. This is the second book I have read b
Demelza Carlton
Aug 07, 2014 Demelza Carlton rated it really liked it
Shelves: drama
This is an unusual collection of bittersweet tales. If no man is an island, then each of these little tales is a small island of its own that, once affected by the outside world, will be irrevocably changed.

The stories aren't necessarily happy - in fact, some of them seem downright cathartic in nature - but they're well told and well worth a read.

Warning: You may need a box of tissues for some of them.
Sonya Dodd
Oct 10, 2013 Sonya Dodd rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Peter John
Peter John marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2013
Nidhi Hebbar
Nidhi Hebbar marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Jeff Charles
Jeff Charles marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Venki
Venki is currently reading it
Jan 16, 2015
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Maria Glenda
Maria Glenda marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Kumkum
Kumkum marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2016
Sonya C. Dodd was born in Norfolk, England and still lives there today in North Elmham with her two sons: Hugo and Branwell.
Although Sonya has been writing for a number of years, she only recently began to publish her writing.
Sonya writes in a number of genres including: romance, supernatural and thriller. Sonya has also written a number of short stories.
More about Sonya C. Dodd...