The Burglar Who Liked to Quote Kipling (Bernie Rhodenbarr Mystery)

The Burglar Who Liked to Quote Kipling (Bernie Rhodenbarr #3)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  1,668 ratings  ·  80 reviews
The third original mystery starring bookseller-cum-burglar Bernie Rhodenbarr. Bernie has just made the transition to a new way of life: he's bough the Banrgat bookshop in Greenwich Village. So when the opportunity to do a little burgling with a literary bent comes his way, Bernie can't refuse. Who better than Bernie to steal the manuscript of a lost Kipling poem?
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published November 1st 1998 by Recorded Books, Inc. (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Burglar Who Liked to Quote Kipling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Burglar Who Liked to Quote Kipling

Tfitoby
Bernie the Burglar has retired. He's now selling antiquarian books. Don't we all dream of that kind of retirement? Only Bernie isn't pushing the business as much as he might, Bernie is still keeping his fingers gloved and on the look out for something fun to burgle. Enter a Rudyard Kipling enthusiast with a decidedly juicy proposition and Bernie's burglar tools are packed and ready to go, breathing holes cut in the palms of his rubber gloves.

The format is much as previous (and almost certainly f...more
Mike
Jun 02, 2012 Mike rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Following the pattern laid down by our forefathers in the late 18th century, Mr. Block gives us another installment in clever writing and plotting. When I stumble upon a book that I like I usually try to go back to the start (or earliest available volume) and then read forward. I enjoy watching how the author and, if a series, characters develop over time. For some reason I jumbled up the order reading this story after a much later one ("The Burglar Who Studied Spinoza").

In a way it was a lucky...more
Nanosynergy
Book 3 in the Bernie Rhodenbarr series. Mind-candy reads. This is the second in series I have read. Despite the main character's on-again/off-again profession as a talented burglar, Block is able to make Bernie likable and sympathetic. The tone of Block's books are humorous and lighthearted. Bernie finds himself in serious scrapes resulting from his life of crime - such as becoming a murder suspect (more than once). A bright and literate burglar, he manages with the help of friends he develops a...more
Norton Stone
I love a quick read, and I love good crime that demonstrates an author's grasp of history. Block puts enough real or potentially real stuff in to create interest in an unsurprising conclusion. I feel the Block template has periods where you know he is withholding information because disclosing it would mess with the summing up. The ending is very Agatha, but why not, the formula works. I like Blocks descriptions and the effortless pace. Romance for men.
John Stewart
Like eating a box of Dove bars while you're supposed to be on a diet. Not much nutritional value but sure is fun.
That70sheidi
FINALLY a woman that Bernie can't seduce - I LOVE YOU CAROLINE, you great big lezzie you!

Honestly the best book I've read about Bernie, because there was no sex. Seriously. Sure, it was about books, and mistaken identity, and frame-ups, and a really nicely convoluted plot that Bern unravels at the end for us, but really I'm just so relieved that I didn't have to hear him smoove talk his way into yet another crotch. THANK YOU. And I loved their friendship and crime-solving partnership and possib...more
Kevin
This was my favorite book of the series so far,funnier then ever with lines like

“Wonderful. I can play it safe by sitting in a stolen car parked at a bus stop. Why don’t I just wait in the subway? I could cling to the third rail for security.”

Fictional Kipling poems " The Deliverance of Fort Bucklow" drives the story but it's all Bernie and Carolyn thatdrive the fun with excellent dialogue and a complicated mystery just perfect for a book lover.

Neil Campbell
Lawrence Block is fun to read for his rendering of eccentricities through the eyes of bookstore owner and recovering ex-con burglar named Bernie Rhodenbarr. There is a wealth of upper class ideology filtered through the middle to low class Bernie the burglar. Bernie feels more at home among the social elitists than he does among his given class of cohorts. He does, however haphazardly, manage a relationship with a dog grooming lesbian named Carolyn who has no dogs but loves cats instead. Quirky...more
John
The Burglar who liked to Quote Kipling Lawrence Block Fiction B Quirky thriller/mystery - a series featuring Bernie Rhodenbarr - the Burglar.He has an amusing turn of phrase and dialogue. Lightweight read. Good Plane/Bus/Train trip fodder. Registered it with BookCrosser.com and set it on it's way.
John
Cute but definitely shows its age (written in 1979). One thing worth noting and praising is that Bernie's partner in crime is a fully out lesbian and is portrayed in a realistic and positive light, quite ahead of its time.

I did like this one well enough to request Book 1 from the library, though.
Jim
Jul 14, 2011 Jim marked it as could-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I'm not going to rate this because I didn't finish it. This is the 3d in the series & I knew what was going to happen before it did. It's not really any different than either of the other 2 books. Too similar to bother listening to now. Maybe in a year or two...
Monnie
Did you think I was joking when I said I plan to read all the books in the series featuring professional burglar Bernie Rhodenbarr? Oh, ye of little faith! This is No. 3, and while I may take a break and knock off something a bit different for my next book, I fully intend to be true to my word. The books are just that good.

In this one, Bernie has put burglary on the back burner (well, for the most part), focusing instead on running a used bookstore he's purchased in Greenwich Village. When a boo...more
Dave Williams
It's a formulaic mystery novel, but a very entertaining one. Block has a way with the dark humor.
Christine
Terrific read. I pick up every one of these I can find.
Sandi
I love these mysteries. Very humerous.
Michel
1979 - Bernie Rhodenbarr #3.
Anthony
Feb 26, 2011 Anthony rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anthony by: Orson Scott Card, Joseph Pittman
Shelves: mystery
I've read a few Block short stories and one early novel reprinted by Hard Case Crime (Killing Castro). Several people have recommended his Bernie Rhodenbarr mysteries to me (I had to ask on Facebook who those several people were, and the answer was my brother Jon, friend/author Joseph Pittman, and author Orson Scott Card. Not a bad set of recommendations, there.) so when I saw this one sitting on the "read and return" shelf in the Country Inn, I had to grab it. I'm glad I decided to read it soon...more
Matt Allen
First, let me say, three books into this series, I don't find Bernie Rhodenbarr nearly as funny as the majority of reviews and blurbs. Clever, yes, but the humor can be a little cutesy.

That said, these Burglar books are definitely enjoyable and Block is still Block.

The Burglar Who Like to Quote Kipling was a serviceable mystery. That's the best word for it and I kept coming back to that. I enjoyed the time I spent with it, it did its job, it introduced some interesting characters, but it fell...more
Terry
Our "gentleman burglar" Bernie has become legitimate, buying a used bookstore. Of course, bookstores are not always financial bonanzas. When he supplements his cash flow with a "job", he ends up accused of murder, yet again.
Eliana
Bernie Rhodenbarr and his gang are the most likeable and laugh out loud funny since the "Gang that Couldn't Shoot Straight" All the books in this series are good fun to read.
Dj
Once again our intrepid Burglar has to become a Detective and solve the Who-Done-It. And once again he has to do it while dodging the Police who think that he killed someone. This book introduces the Used Book Store cover and his Dog Grooming Sidekick.

Not your usual mystery by any stretch, the how it is solved and what clues are used to bring about the return of normality and something resembling justice are secondary to the mad cap romp of watching a Burglar going about trying to prove that he...more
Steven Vaughan-Nichols
OK, I confess. I have to read all these novels now. They're just great fun, mystery romps and I'm glad to have found them.
Duckpondwithoutducks
These mystery novels by Lawrence Block featuring Bernie Rhodenbarr, a burglar cum bookseller, are always funny. You can very much see the influence of Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe novels, with the wry narrator and final gathering of the suspects to solve the crime. Each one is very like the other, Bernie being wrongly accused of a crime, but not being able to prove that he didn't do it, because at that time he was burgling, and that's not a very good alibi - if you admit to that, you'll go to jail any...more
Alice
still a thief

Reminds me of Agatha Raisin books
Fred Eisenhut
Great fun, but a little dated.
Susan
Bernie Rhodenbarr at his best, with some interesting plot twists and turns.
John
What a frustrating book! The first three quarters was fantastic (I'm reading the series in sequence, and up to this point the best so far) and then - well, what a botched ending! It felt like there was originally a lot more material in the book that's been taken out and by the end you're not sure - or care - why anyone did anything.
Four stars for 3/4 of the book, 2 for the ending.
John
Standard quality, plot-holey, forgettable.
Dana
I love Bernie and the way Block writes his characters. Of course the Burglar books follow a particular pattern, in that Bernie gets implicated in a murder during a burglary, but they are always fun, light reads, hard to put down. The only caveat is that there are often not enough clues for the reader to solve it, or the solution is so convoluted you can't understand how Bernie solved it! However, it doesn't stop me from looking forward to more of them - so glad Block has a new Bernie book coming...more
Gmaharriet
A fun, fast and easy read. I go for Block's stories when my brain just needs an easy rest.
  • Dancing Aztecs
  • It Happened One Knife (Double Feature Mystery #2)
  • Cat Chaser
  • Romance (87th Precinct, #47)
  • Not Quite Dead Enough (Nero Wolfe, #10)
  • Rumpole Misbehaves
  • Self's Punishment (Gerhard Self #1)
  • New Hope for the Dead
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2002.

From his web site:

I'm told every good author website needs a bio, so here's mine:

"Lawrence Block's novels range from the urban noir of Matthew Scudder (A Drop of the Hard Stuff) to the urbane effervescence of Bernie Rhodenbarr (The Burglar on the Prowl), while other characters include the globe-trotting insomniac Evan Tanne...more
More about Lawrence Block...
The Sins of the Fathers (Matthew Scudder, #1) Eight Million Ways to Die (Matthew Scudder, #5) Hit Man (Keller, #1) When the Sacred Ginmill Closes (Matthew Scudder, #6) Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)