Start by marking “Season of Innocents” as Want to Read:
Season of Innocents

Season of Innocents (Sarah Booth Delaney #3)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  1,636 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
A thrilling tale of madness and murder in the Deep South that also contains a coming-of-age story full of humour and charm.
Paperback
Published November 17th 1994 by Headline Review

To ask other readers questions about Season of Innocents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Season of Innocents

Deborah
Southern women who know what they want, a ghost with an attitude, a murder that has been confessed to, and a mystery that needs solving. Throw in a little spice and sugar and you have a really good recipe for a great mystery story. This book was light reading, although I hated to put it down as I couldn't wait to see what truly was going on. Boy, was I surprised!
Chris
Feb 21, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining!
A crime I couldn't figure out, a 14 year old playing cupid/matchmaker via the internet - one-by-one men are showing up at Sarah's door assuming she invited them and one of them is an Elvis impersonator...lol

Of course, I never tire of her resident ghost who has a keen sense of fashion, an attitude and always with an opinion on how Sarah can improve her looks, life and entice a man because she is getting older don't you know...lol

It was so good I am going on to the next one in t
Georgette
May 11, 2015 Georgette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? I am addicted to this series. Carolyn Haines writing style has totally captured my heart, and I don't dare read these out of order. In this latest book that I finished yesterday(I dragged it out because somehow I did not order Crossed Bones which is next in the series BUT I just ordered from Amazon)we are presented with a murder mystery of a dysfunctional family of the highest order. There is the usual melange of childhood friends of Sarah Booth, peppered with some out of town in ...more
Dorothy
I think I might have to categorize this book as one of my guilty reading pleasures. It's a bit of fluff - lighter than air really - but I found it highly entertaining. It's a book that fits well with the hot, sultry summer weather when you don't want to tax your brain too severely.

Sarah Booth Delaney is a spinster of 33 years with no prospect of a marriage anytime soon. Or ever. This is not a big point of concern to Sarah Booth Delaney, but in the Delta town of Zinnia, Mississippi, where she li
Joy
Mar 31, 2011 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Janet Evanovich, and when Carolyn Haines was recommended for those who like Janet, I was excited to give her a try. And I've not been disappointed at all. I love the humor and the ghost and the proposed boyfriends and all her "helpful" friends. This is my 3rd one to read. Can't wait to get on to the next one!
Kaye
May 13, 2011 Kaye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
I am so loving this series. I have been reading so much paranormal lately that I decided to start back on my cozy mysteries. This series is just great. I love books that are set in the south. These have just the right amount of mystery plus comedy. I do wonder when Hamilton will appear again though.
Craig Jr.
Jul 21, 2016 Craig Jr. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good read. Slow to start as normal for Ms. Haines, but as always, it picks up and delivers a strong story. This one was fun because of the horses and bad husband, and I especially loved the cover of the song "Goodbye, Earl" Ms. Haines is good at creating mystery and intrigue while creating depth for each of her characters. By book 3 we're finding distinct personalities for the main characters which I know will continue to grow as the series progresses. I find the audio books very enjoyable, ...more
Kathy
Dr. Libby Drake… the good sister, of even temperament, easy to see the good & the pain in all, understanding… her talent is healing, both as a regular doctor with great intuition as well as an empath, able to sake the symptoms of the ailment to herself and healing the patient, and relying on her sisters to heal her, and she can sense danger… She travels the world with different organizations – Doctors without Borders, animal protection, indigenous people protection…

Also highlighted in this s
Guera25
I adore the Southern flavor of these books, and the writing is vastly superior to a lot of cozy mysteries. Not only is the prose better, but the construction of the characters and plot is made of sterner stuff. These characters have meat on their bones, and the plots, while occasionally grandiose and infused with the catty melodrama of a Dynasty episode, are plausible.

My only quibble with the series is the fact that Delaney's dog, Sweetie Pie, has saved her life in the first three books. I love
Merideth
Dharia Scarab
Jan 04, 2015 Dharia Scarab rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

4 sta
Nita
Mar 31, 2015 Nita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books-read
Continuing with the exploits of Sarah Booth Delaney, Southern belle turned private detective. It was a quick and easy read, fun with an insight into a way of life which makes one shudder and smile in equal parts.
Tonya Lucas
Feb 23, 2016 Tonya Lucas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!!! I'm loving this series. It just keeps getting better and better. Funny, crazy, and devious. Sarah Booth Delaney has captured my heart. Between her and Jitty ( her personal ghost ) and all the great folks in the Mississippi Delta there isn't a mystery they can't solve.
Kristi Lamont
Still mind candy, no doubt about it, but much more polished and plausible all the way around than the first two in the series. Looking forward to some more of these Delta-based cozies.
Mary Bryant
Aug 24, 2015 Mary Bryant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Southern Charm

This book has a touch of mystery, murder, a ghost, romance and a dash of Southern charm. What more could a southern girl ask for. This is a great read.
Kevin Neese
The Sarah Booth Delaney mysteries are entertaining reads and this third in the series continues that theme.
Marlene
read on the flights home from Portland. Kept me engaged and entertained.
Bonnie McHenry
Well, she did it again. Another great mystery filled with all of the fun loving charaters surrounding Sarah Boothe Delaney, PI. The more I read her series the more I fall in love with each and every reoccurring character in the books. This was a great story, and as always, had me trying to figure out who it was up until the last minute. Friendship and sense of family upbringing also keeps me wanting to come back for more. I also love how her dog Sweetie Pie plays an important part in her life as ...more
Lois Hecksel
Feb 24, 2016 Lois Hecksel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A witty mix of of mystery and humor make for a delicious read.
Paige Newcomb
Jul 17, 2016 Paige Newcomb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series! Sarah Booth Delaney is funny, sassy, and SMART!!
RedDogMama
Sep 09, 2016 RedDogMama rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the whole series. Best to read in order!
Summer Hedrick
Dec 28, 2012 Summer Hedrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Booth has really gotten herself into something this time. A high school friend confesses to the murder of her husband and Sarah is left to take care of her out of hand teenage daughter while trying to find the real murderer.

So exciting, I couldn't put the book down! It leaves you thinking you know who did the killing and then you start to second guess yourself.

Pull up a chair, have a glass of Jack Daniels! This book will make you laugh out loud along with hoping Sarah Booth soon finds tha
Elsie Roberts
Aug 29, 2015 Elsie Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book.
April Sniffen
Jul 10, 2015 April Sniffen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one got me. Definitely kept me guessing!
MJ Aristizabal
Jun 16, 2015 MJ Aristizabal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
<3 love LOVE
Karren
Mar 04, 2014 Karren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is really cute. An old aunt ghost and a Mississippi Delta Girl Detective - fantastic
K. East
Jun 30, 2013 K. East rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's always a book reader's delight to find a new series to explore, and this one looks like a keeper. I started with the third book in the series only because that was the first book the local library has in its collection. But it won't be the last one of these I read. The mystery series has lots of things to recommend it -- a central character with pluck, a nagging ghost with an attitude,a loyal hound, and lots of interesting Southern "characters" [I loved the Elvis impersonator].
Erin L
Oct 26, 2015 Erin L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-southern
I really enjoyed this one - it's been awhile since I read the previous one in the series so it took a bit to get reacquainted with the characters, but Haines makes it easy to figure out even if you haven't read the previous books in the series.

It was a really interesting mystery, the characters are well developed as is the sense of place - you feel like you're in Mississippi without having pages of distracting exposition to give you that information.
Stephanie
Jul 26, 2016 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, owned, paperback
Another excellent stand-alone novel, this one set in the Equestrian Set of down south. I love that the friend Tinkie is helping the heroine out with things, and somehow is quite good. The dog is a nice addition, but I still find the ghost/friend annoying and rude. I will come back to these novels soon, they make a damn nice change of pace from all the hard-reads, the fast-paced thrillers, and the busy schedules of summertime with children.
Nancy Holland
Nov 15, 2014 Nancy Holland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed it
  • Ghost Ship (A Port Chatham Mystery #2)
  • Murder Gets a Life (Southern Sisters, #5)
  • Corpse in the Crystal Ball (Fortune Teller Mystery, #2)
  • Peach Pies and Alibis (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery #2)
  • The Ghost and the Dead Deb (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • Ghost at Work (Bailey Ruth, #1)
  • The Wild Mother
  • Southern Fatality (A Jersey Barnes Mystery #1)
  • Absolutely, Positively (Lucy Valentine, #3)
  • Old Haunts (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #3)
  • Dead Bolt (Haunted Home Renovation Mystery, #2)
  • Swan for the Money (Meg Langslow, #11)
  • Pale Death (Lee Nez, #3)
  • Tragic Toppings (Donut Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Let Them Eat Stake (Vampire Chef, #2)
  • The Moai Murders (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #9)
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
A native of Mississippi, Carolyn Haines is the author of over fifty books in multiple genres. She was named the 2010 recipient of the Harper Lee Award and is the recipient of the 2009 Richard Wright Award for Literary Excellence.

Haines teaches fiction writing at the University of South Alabama in Mobile. Active in animal rescue, she has twenty-one "critters" —horses, dogs and cats.
More about Carolyn Haines...

Sarah Booth Delaney (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Them Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #1)
  • Buried Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #2)
  • Crossed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #4)
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #5)
  • Bones To Pick (Sarah Booth Delaney, #6)
  • Ham Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #7)
  • Wishbones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #8)
  • Greedy Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #9)
  • Bone Appetit (Sarah Booth Delaney, #10)
  • Bones of a Feather (Sarah Booth Delaney, #11)