Start by marking “Season of Innocents” as Want to Read:
Season of Innocents

Season of Innocents (Sarah Booth Delaney #3)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  1,274 ratings  ·  49 reviews
A thrilling tale of madness and murder in the Deep South that also contains a coming-of-age story full of humour and charm.
Paperback
Published November 17th 1994 by Headline Review

To ask other readers questions about Season of Innocents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Season of Innocents

Chris
Very entertaining!
A crime I couldn't figure out, a 14 year old playing cupid/matchmaker via the internet - one-by-one men are showing up at Sarah's door assuming she invited them and one of them is an Elvis impersonator...lol

Of course, I never tire of her resident ghost who has a keen sense of fashion, an attitude and always with an opinion on how Sarah can improve her looks, life and entice a man because she is getting older don't you know...lol

It was so good I am going on to the next one in t
Deborah
Southern women who know what they want, a ghost with an attitude, a murder that has been confessed to, and a mystery that needs solving. Throw in a little spice and sugar and you have a really good recipe for a great mystery story. This book was light reading, although I hated to put it down as I couldn't wait to see what truly was going on. Boy, was I surprised!
Joy
I'm a big fan of Janet Evanovich, and when Carolyn Haines was recommended for those who like Janet, I was excited to give her a try. And I've not been disappointed at all. I love the humor and the ghost and the proposed boyfriends and all her "helpful" friends. This is my 3rd one to read. Can't wait to get on to the next one!
Kaye
I am so loving this series. I have been reading so much paranormal lately that I decided to start back on my cozy mysteries. This series is just great. I love books that are set in the south. These have just the right amount of mystery plus comedy. I do wonder when Hamilton will appear again though.
Kathy
Dr. Libby Drake… the good sister, of even temperament, easy to see the good & the pain in all, understanding… her talent is healing, both as a regular doctor with great intuition as well as an empath, able to sake the symptoms of the ailment to herself and healing the patient, and relying on her sisters to heal her, and she can sense danger… She travels the world with different organizations – Doctors without Borders, animal protection, indigenous people protection…

Also highlighted in this s
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Bonnie McHenry
Well, she did it again. Another great mystery filled with all of the fun loving charaters surrounding Sarah Boothe Delaney, PI. The more I read her series the more I fall in love with each and every reoccurring character in the books. This was a great story, and as always, had me trying to figure out who it was up until the last minute. Friendship and sense of family upbringing also keeps me wanting to come back for more. I also love how her dog Sweetie Pie plays an important part in her life as ...more
Summer Hedrick
Sarah Booth has really gotten herself into something this time. A high school friend confesses to the murder of her husband and Sarah is left to take care of her out of hand teenage daughter while trying to find the real murderer.

So exciting, I couldn't put the book down! It leaves you thinking you know who did the killing and then you start to second guess yourself.

Pull up a chair, have a glass of Jack Daniels! This book will make you laugh out loud along with hoping Sarah Booth soon finds tha
Karren
This series is really cute. An old aunt ghost and a Mississippi Delta Girl Detective - fantastic
K. East
It's always a book reader's delight to find a new series to explore, and this one looks like a keeper. I started with the third book in the series only because that was the first book the local library has in its collection. But it won't be the last one of these I read. The mystery series has lots of things to recommend it -- a central character with pluck, a nagging ghost with an attitude,a loyal hound, and lots of interesting Southern "characters" [I loved the Elvis impersonator].
Erin
I really enjoyed this one - it's been awhile since I read the previous one in the series so it took a bit to get reacquainted with the characters, but Haines makes it easy to figure out even if you haven't read the previous books in the series.

It was a really interesting mystery, the characters are well developed as is the sense of place - you feel like you're in Mississippi without having pages of distracting exposition to give you that information.
Stephanie
Another excellent stand-alone novel, this one set in the Equestrian Set of down south. I love that the friend Tinkie is helping the heroine out with things, and somehow is quite good. The dog is a nice addition, but I still find the ghost/friend annoying and rude. I will come back to these novels soon, they make a damn nice change of pace from all the hard-reads, the fast-paced thrillers, and the busy schedules of summertime with children.
Elizabeth
Mar 11, 2015 Elizabeth rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults
Shelves: get-again, women
Doris
Lee MCBride has confessed to killing her husband, but Sarah Booth doesn't believe it, so when she is hired by Lee, she sets out to prove that Lee isn't guilty. Lee wants her guilt to be accepted, but Sarah Booth won't give up, and this entertaining whiz through this small town and its strange characters is worth reading!

A strong recommendation to readers of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum and Joan Hess' Maggody.
Not as excited about book 3 in the series. It made me take a break from Sarah Booth Delaney. I enjoyed the characters and the mystery was solid. In fact, the book was pretty good until the end. All of a sudden there were more crimes and criminals than you could count. I felt like the whodunnit became very muddled and confusing. And then the resolution to the main crime was kind of a let down. So, not a great read.
Jan
I really enjoyed the audiobook version of this novel. This is one of the best I've read in this particular series. The plot was sufficiently complex and well paced so it kept me engaged despite frequent disruption (I generally listen to audiobooks and my vehicle). It was also a good stand-alone book, although most readers would appreciate this series more if they were able to read from it start to finish.
Mardy
I can't get enough of Sarah Booth and the cast of characters in Zinnia, Mississippi. I've listened to the audio versions of all four so far during my commute and Kate Forbes brings them all to life. I'm sure the written versions are just as good because the writing is so witty and entertaining. Now I just need to find the next one on audio.
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
The more I read of this series the more I really like it. This was a great storyline and it moved quickly for me, keeping my interest for what is a higher-than-average number of pages for a cozy. My only complaint is that Jitty is a nag, but it's a small complaint as it hardly detracts from the enjoyment I get reading the books.
Sam
Sassy southern belle turned private investigator who can find trouble anywhere and everywhere! This is series is hilarious, fun, sad and awesome. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a fun mystery with a touch of romance (not steamy).
Brigid
not as good as the first two in the series but still an enjoyable read.
Jennifer Duncan
The sassy southern belle and her friends continue to deliver. I'm hooked on this series.
Jenine
Three plus. Kinky Friedman shout out! I loved that. My other favorite parts were the unsuitable suitors. I can see the wheels turning but it was still a fine southern mystery. I think I may have read the first one a decade ago.
Babs
I have to say again I loved this book just as much as the first one. We get to see more of Sarah Booth and Jitty along with the usual characters with some new ones as well.
Linda
A very quick read. I have read others in this series and have enjoyed them all. I did not guess who did it and why so it was an excellent mystery.
Cheryl
Overall a good story but almost too many suspects and red herrings. By the last 70 pages or so I just wanted Sarah Booth to "solve it already!"
Suziqoregon
My blog post about this book is at this link.
Kitty
An old high school friend, a very strange murder, an unruly teenager - this one was pretty fast-paced, and had plenty of fun.
Book Concierge
More Southern Mississippi Delta mystery - still entertaining, but getting predictable. I may give Sarah Booth a rest for a while.
Definitely kept me guessing. I thought I had it figured out but I was wrong! Also loved the inclusion of Kinky Friedman!
  • Ghost Ship (A Port Chatham Mystery #2)
  • Murder Gets A Life (Southern Sisters Mystery, #5)
  • The Ghost and the Dead Deb (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • Swan for the Money (Meg Langslow, #11)
  • Southern Fatality (A Jersey Barnes Mystery #1)
  • Peach Pies and Alibis (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery #2)
  • The Moai Murders (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #9)
  • Perfectly Matched (Lucy Valentine, #4)
  • Corpse in the Crystal Ball (Fortune Teller Mystery, #2)
  • Old Haunts (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #3)
  • Skirting The Grave (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #4)
  • Dead Bolt (A Haunted Home Renovation Mystery #2)
  • The Witch's Grave (Ophelia & Abby, #6)
  • Aunt Dimity Digs In (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #4)
  • Dead Man Talking (Pepper Martin #5)
A native of Mississippi, Carolyn Haines is the author of over fifty books in multiple genres. She was recently named the 2010 recipient of the Harper Lee Award and is the recipient of the 2009 Richard Wright Award for Literary Excellence.

Haines teaches fiction writing at the University of South Alabama in Mobile. Active in animal rescue, she has twenty-one "critters" —horses, dogs and cats.
More about Carolyn Haines...

Sarah Booth Delaney (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Them Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #1)
  • Buried Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #2)
  • Crossed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #4)
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #5)
  • Bones To Pick (Sarah Booth Delaney, #6)
  • Ham Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #7)
  • Wishbones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #8)
  • Greedy Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #9)
  • Bone Appetit (Sarah Booth Delaney, #10)
  • Bones of a Feather (Sarah Booth Delaney, #11)
Them Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #1) Buried Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #2) Crossed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #4) Bones To Pick (Sarah Booth Delaney, #6) Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #5)