Season of Innocents

Season of Innocents (Sarah Booth Delaney #3)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,147 ratings  ·  42 reviews
A thrilling tale of madness and murder in the Deep South that also contains a coming-of-age story full of humour and charm.
Paperback
Published November 17th 1994 by Headline Review

To ask other readers questions about Season of Innocents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Season of Innocents

Chris
Very entertaining!
A crime I couldn't figure out, a 14 year old playing cupid/matchmaker via the internet - one-by-one men are showing up at Sarah's door assuming she invited them and one of them is an Elvis impersonator...lol

Of course, I never tire of her resident ghost who has a keen sense of fashion, an attitude and always with an opinion on how Sarah can improve her looks, life and entice a man because she is getting older don't you know...lol

It was so good I am going on to the next one in t...more
Deborah
Southern women who know what they want, a ghost with an attitude, a murder that has been confessed to, and a mystery that needs solving. Throw in a little spice and sugar and you have a really good recipe for a great mystery story. This book was light reading, although I hated to put it down as I couldn't wait to see what truly was going on. Boy, was I surprised!
Joy
I'm a big fan of Janet Evanovich, and when Carolyn Haines was recommended for those who like Janet, I was excited to give her a try. And I've not been disappointed at all. I love the humor and the ghost and the proposed boyfriends and all her "helpful" friends. This is my 3rd one to read. Can't wait to get on to the next one!
Kaye
I am so loving this series. I have been reading so much paranormal lately that I decided to start back on my cozy mysteries. This series is just great. I love books that are set in the south. These have just the right amount of mystery plus comedy. I do wonder when Hamilton will appear again though.
Kathy
Dr. Libby Drake… the good sister, of even temperament, easy to see the good & the pain in all, understanding… her talent is healing, both as a regular doctor with great intuition as well as an empath, able to sake the symptoms of the ailment to herself and healing the patient, and relying on her sisters to heal her, and she can sense danger… She travels the world with different organizations – Doctors without Borders, animal protection, indigenous people protection…

Also highlighted in this s...more
Bonnie McHenry
Well, she did it again. Another great mystery filled with all of the fun loving charaters surrounding Sarah Boothe Delaney, PI. The more I read her series the more I fall in love with each and every reoccurring character in the books. This was a great story, and as always, had me trying to figure out who it was up until the last minute. Friendship and sense of family upbringing also keeps me wanting to come back for more. I also love how her dog Sweetie Pie plays an important part in her life as...more
Summer Hedrick
Sarah Booth has really gotten herself into something this time. A high school friend confesses to the murder of her husband and Sarah is left to take care of her out of hand teenage daughter while trying to find the real murderer.

So exciting, I couldn't put the book down! It leaves you thinking you know who did the killing and then you start to second guess yourself.

Pull up a chair, have a glass of Jack Daniels! This book will make you laugh out loud along with hoping Sarah Booth soon finds tha...more
Karren
This series is really cute. An old aunt ghost and a Mississippi Delta Girl Detective - fantastic
K. East
It's always a book reader's delight to find a new series to explore, and this one looks like a keeper. I started with the third book in the series only because that was the first book the local library has in its collection. But it won't be the last one of these I read. The mystery series has lots of things to recommend it -- a central character with pluck, a nagging ghost with an attitude,a loyal hound, and lots of interesting Southern "characters" [I loved the Elvis impersonator].
Stephanie
Another excellent stand-alone novel, this one set in the Equestrian Set of down south. I love that the friend Tinkie is helping the heroine out with things, and somehow is quite good. The dog is a nice addition, but I still find the ghost/friend annoying and rude. I will come back to these novels soon, they make a damn nice change of pace from all the hard-reads, the fast-paced thrillers, and the busy schedules of summertime with children.
Not as excited about book 3 in the series. It made me take a break from Sarah Booth Delaney. I enjoyed the characters and the mystery was solid. In fact, the book was pretty good until the end. All of a sudden there were more crimes and criminals than you could count. I felt like the whodunnit became very muddled and confusing. And then the resolution to the main crime was kind of a let down. So, not a great read.
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
The more I read of this series the more I really like it. This was a great storyline and it moved quickly for me, keeping my interest for what is a higher-than-average number of pages for a cozy. My only complaint is that Jitty is a nag, but it's a small complaint as it hardly detracts from the enjoyment I get reading the books.
Sam
Sassy southern belle turned private investigator who can find trouble anywhere and everywhere! This is series is hilarious, fun, sad and awesome. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a fun mystery with a touch of romance (not steamy).
Brigid
not as good as the first two in the series but still an enjoyable read.
Jennifer Duncan
The sassy southern belle and her friends continue to deliver. I'm hooked on this series.
Jenine
Three plus. Kinky Friedman shout out! I loved that. My other favorite parts were the unsuitable suitors. I can see the wheels turning but it was still a fine southern mystery. I think I may have read the first one a decade ago.
Babs
I have to say again I loved this book just as much as the first one. We get to see more of Sarah Booth and Jitty along with the usual characters with some new ones as well.
Linda
A very quick read. I have read others in this series and have enjoyed them all. I did not guess who did it and why so it was an excellent mystery.
Cheryl
Overall a good story but almost too many suspects and red herrings. By the last 70 pages or so I just wanted Sarah Booth to "solve it already!"
Suziqoregon
My blog post about this book is at this link.
Kitty
An old high school friend, a very strange murder, an unruly teenager - this one was pretty fast-paced, and had plenty of fun.
Book Concierge
More Southern Mississippi Delta mystery - still entertaining, but getting predictable. I may give Sarah Booth a rest for a while.
Definitely kept me guessing. I thought I had it figured out but I was wrong! Also loved the inclusion of Kinky Friedman!
Alice Petty
I dont usually read mystery,,but I couldnt put this book down..Will check out more books from this author

Heather
Loving this series more and more, so cozy and fun to curl up in bed with, great mystery/detective stories
Patricia
Appealing characters, no depth. Beach read. Premise dragging on a bit too long.
Ritawurtz
Don't usually read mysteries but this was a quick, fun read.
Tammy
Another Enjoyable read from Carolyn Haines with these characters.
Megan
Charming and witty as usual, though more predictable than the others.
Cheryl
The further I read in this series the more I enjoy it.
  • Murder Gets A Life (Southern Sisters Mystery, #5)
  • Ghost Ship (A Port Chatham Mystery #2)
  • Deadly Patterns (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #3)
  • Peach Pies and Alibis (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery #2)
  • Swan for the Money (Meg Langslow, #11)
  • Corpse in the Crystal Ball (Fortune Teller Mystery, #2)
  • The Moai Murders (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #9)
  • The Ghost And The Dead Man's Library (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #3)
  • Hair of the Dog (Melanie Travis, #4)
  • Skirting the Grave (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #4)
  • Dead Man Talking (Pepper Martin #5)
  • Sinister Sprinkles (Donut Shop Mystery #3)
  • Legend of the Jade Dragon (A Chintz 'n China Mystery, #2)
A native of Mississippi, Carolyn Haines is the author of over fifty books in multiple genres. She was recently named the 2010 recipient of the Harper Lee Award and is the recipient of the 2009 Richard Wright Award for Literary Excellence.

Haines teaches fiction writing at the University of South Alabama in Mobile. Active in animal rescue, she has twenty-one "critters" —horses, dogs and cats.
More about Carolyn Haines...
Them Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #1) Buried Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #2) Crossed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #4) Bones To Pick (Sarah Booth Delaney, #6) Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #5)