Start by marking “The Stolen Blue (Claire Reynier, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Stolen Blue (Claire Reynier, #1)

The Stolen Blue (Claire Reynier #1)

For the fifty-year-old, recently divorced Claire Reynier, it's time to start over. But her new direction in life -- at a New Mexico university -- becomes a detour to murder when an old friend and mentor is found dead.
Published April 1st 2000 by Signet (first published February 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Stolen Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stolen Blue

Stuart
Oct 10, 2014 Stuart rated it liked it
I quite enjoyed this, the first Claire Reynier mystery. It was certainly an easy read, and interestingly, was really a mystery, not a murder story, as one might expect. I did find it a little dated; it's from 2000 (I'm reading it in 2014), and the author was, I think, trying to be very up-to-date in her sleuth, who spent time on AOL, explained how emails could be sent anonymously , and bemoaned the coming day when book texts would be available via the Internet.

Claire is the curator of rare book
Donna
Mar 10, 2013 Donna rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This was not complicated. The plot was simple, character development a little bland, but surprisingly I enjoyed the Sunday aft. diversion and read it cover to cover
Sharonm
Jun 06, 2010 Sharonm rated it liked it
Western setting, librarian protag, generally had good bones. However, the writing was rather pedestrian and I didn’t find the characters very sympathetic. Somewhat bland, but a good diversion.
Sue Star
Jan 30, 2015 Sue Star rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hc-book-club
I especially loved the great sense of place. It made me want to go back to New Mexico! An interesting plot and subplots, dealing with rare book collectors.
Spuddie
Sep 01, 2009 Spuddie rated it liked it
#1 Claire Reynier mystery. Claire is the collections librarian for a university in New Mexico, fairly recently divorced and loving her newfound freedom. She heads into the Blue, an isolated area a couple of hundred miles from Santa Fe to see an old mentor of hers who is in ill health and is donating his private collection to her university's library. While she is there to collect the books, Burke tells her he's made her the executor of his will, which he's just changed and has witnessed in front ...more
Amy
What I liked:

1) Claire was a martial arts practicing university librarian--I could identify with her.
2) There was no love interest in sight. Claire was comfortable with being single--she even embraced it.
3) This was set in the southwest. Lovely, lovely country.

What I didn't like:

1) This was clearly written in the 1990s, so it was a little dated, especially where computer jargon was concerned.
2) A little slow moving at times.
3) A character who is a cutter. Why is that particular affliction so
Pam
Oct 26, 2007 Pam rated it really liked it
4/B -- 1st in Claire Reynier series. Claire works at the University in the Southwest Studies Dept. her mentor Burke Lowell leaves her his collection historical books on the SW & makes her executor of his estate. he had 3 children & then there is Mariah who has recently been recognized as his daughter. He wills the 3 children $ & leaves the house to Mariah to make into a conservancy. The children watn to fight this & deny Mariah is his daughter. Claire points out that the will sta ...more
Judy
Aug 10, 2011 Judy rated it liked it
Interesting book -- Claire Reynier works as a librarian at the Center for Southwest Research at University of New Mexico. She is given books from a friends very extensive and valuable library and given the task as executor of his will. The most valuable books are stolen from Claire's car and she is trying to get them back. Using contacts and internet to buy back the stolen books. Who knew books could be such big business. The deceased family is involved as, of course, they don't like who Dad lef ...more
Marcia
Jul 03, 2013 Marcia rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
A nice quote from the book...

Claire got into bed, and Nemesis curled up at her feet. It was time to read, but there was nothing on her bedside at the moment. She considered the books on her shelves. They resembled the old friends with whom she had late-night phone conversations and shared her deepest thoughts. Her joy in reading came from discovering there was someone out there who had the same feelings and ideas she did, but could express them better than she ever could. Books never turned cold
Sarah Adamson
Oct 22, 2014 Sarah Adamson rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I did enjoy this book, a cozy mystery set in America's SouthWest. Some nice twists and great exploration of books and libraries.
Unfortunately I cannot give it 4 stars as there is a major editorial error - a lost box is described as being put in a different place than where it is stolen from. I kept waiting for her to realize it hadn't been stolen but nope it was a mistake. Just irritating!
I would read more in this series.
Cindy
Feb 24, 2010 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, g-authors
I really enjoyed this book. Claire Reynier is a librarian - who loves books, especially rare ones - what could be better? There is a lot of "who done its" in this book - it will keep you guessing and it's a quick read.

Published in 2000 it was a little dated, but still very interesting.

The last book published was in 2004, so I'm not sure if I will continue this series.
Jeff Dickison
Sep 28, 2016 Jeff Dickison rated it really liked it
Claire Reynier # 1 is the second Claire Reynier mystery I have read and it is much better than # 3. This tale has an excellent plot and believable characters. An old scalawag dies and makes Claire the executor of his estate and donates his rare books to her library. The books are stolen and the kids are not happy with the will. Recommended.
Shirley
Dec 12, 2015 Shirley rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
Didn't finish this book--though plot started well for me, got bogged down in a lot of extra descriptions about the Southwest, and even though I live in this area, for me the plot kept getting lost in all the background information.
Tara
Jul 01, 2010 Tara rated it it was ok
Standard "cozy," not terrible, not great, kinda bland. Was hopeful for a series about a university librarian sleuthing around the Southwest. Maybe book 2 is better, but I'm not inspired to find out.
Redhead
Jan 22, 2009 Redhead rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction-mystery
Ok, but didn't keep my attention.
Denise
Sep 27, 2015 Denise rated it liked it
I listened to this in audiobook form. It was a bit dated but it was a clean intriguing mystery.
Barb C
Apr 27, 2015 Barb C rated it liked it
An interesting book, at times a little slow. Kept me engaged didn't want to put down. Will listen to the rest of the books in the series. Good grade.
Julie
I liked the characters and the settings but the story itself didn't come together for me. I might read more in this series, just because I like Claire, and to see if the author improves.
scherzo♫
Oct 07, 2012 scherzo♫ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mys-tepids
nothing special
Carin
Carin rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2015
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2017
Teresa
Teresa rated it it was ok
Mar 07, 2008
Bobbie N
Bobbie N rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2012
Tina Portillo
Tina Portillo rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2013
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2012
Marcia
Marcia rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2011
Carol Dominguez
Carol Dominguez rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2013
Miss M
Miss M rated it it was ok
Jan 30, 2013
Evonne
Evonne rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Nice Girls Finish Last (Robin Hudson, #2)
  • Women of Mystery
  • Out of Season (Bill Gastner Mystery, #7)
  • Home Sweet Homicide
  • The Curse of the Giant Hogweed (Peter Shandy, #5)
  • I.O.U. (Jenny Cain, #7)
  • The Good Friday Murder (Christine Bennett, #1)
  • Martians in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #8)
  • The Deserter: Murder at Gettysburg (Homer Kelly, #17)
  • Dolly and the Starry Bird (Johnson Johnson, #4)
  • Bad Medicine (Ella Clah, #3)
Judith Van Gieson is the author of a children’s book, a collection of poetry and short stories, and thirteen mysteries. Her short stories have appeared in several mystery anthologies. In the first mystery series eight books, featuring female Albuquerque attorney/sleuth Neil Hamel, were published by HarperCollins. Neil’s work often involved environmental issues including endangered species and wild ...more
More about Judith Van Gieson...

Claire Reynier (5 books)
  • Vanishing Point (Claire Reynier, #2)
  • Confidence Woman (Claire Reynier, #3)
  • Land of Burning Heat (Claire Reynier, #4)
  • The Shadow of Venus (Claire Reynier, #5)