Start by marking “Say It with Poison (Mitchell and Markby, #1)” as Want to Read:
Say It with Poison (Mitchell and Markby, #1)

Say It with Poison (Mitchell and Markby #1)

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  625 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews

A material witness to the only c
Published 1991 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about Say It with Poison, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Say It with Poison

Icewineanne
Because of the number of books that Ann Granger has written, I assumed that I would really enjoy her mysteries. I expected to read an enjoyable puzzler, instead I found this book very dated, with poorly written dialogue. It was a struggle to finish it. I'm surprised that her publisher continued with this series. This book is the first of the Mitchell & Markby mystery series, she works for the UK Consulate and he's a police detective. When they meet, they butt heads but he's interested in her ...more
Damaskcat
Apr 22, 2016 Damaskcat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meredith Mitchell agrees to help her cousin, Eve Owens, with the preparations for her daughter's wedding. But it soon becomes clear that all is not as it should be in her cousin's household. A TV director is trying to persuade Eve, a film star, to take a role in his soap opera, Eve's daughter, Susan, seems to be not at all sure about whether she is doing the right thing in marrying her fiancé.

When a young potter is found dead by Meredith it seems things may have come to a head. The death brings
Tamsinwilloughby
Jul 14, 2014 Tamsinwilloughby rated it did not like it
Shelves: murder-mystery
Let's have a big dose of understanding and sympathy for the stalker while blaming his victim for leading him on. How could she be so selfish as to believe a man might want to be friends with her? She's a beautiful young woman after all.

I recommend skipping this one.
Deborah
Oct 12, 2011 Deborah rated it it was ok
I have tried this book several times. From the description of the series and this book in particular as the first one, it sounds like the kind of book I would like. I just can't warm up to it though. I don't know if its the action is too slow or the characters are not that likeable and/or engaging or what. I just know that this was the second time I tried and I put it down after a few chapters because I just didn't care. The heroine is kind of a sad sack also. Oh Well.
Kyrie
Oct 11, 2013 Kyrie rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I wanted to like this book. i want to like the series. It's in England. It has an intelligent quirky policeman and an intelligent successful British consul as its protagonists. What's not to like?

I didn't guess the murderer. That's always a bonus.

The descriptions of the settings and characters are great. I can see them in my mind.

I think it's that I don't find Meredith likeable at all and Alan only occasionally. It makes me sad.

Fiona Schofield
Apr 28, 2013 Fiona Schofield rated it did not like it
Persevered until chapter 8 but the story got slower and slower. I really hoped I had found something on par with M.C Beaton's 'Agatha Raisin' series but no joy. I am however going to read another in the series to see if it picks up. Only 1 star - sorry.
Deb
Dec 09, 2015 Deb rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-books-read
Meredith Mitchell, a British consul, has returned to England to attend her goddaughter's wedding, and to visit her cousin. She soon discovers that the bride seems to be hiding a secret, and her cousin is very uneasy. And then she discovers the body of a young man living nearby. Meredith does some investigating, against the wishes of the D.I. Markby, and soon figures out who's behind the murder.

I liked this first entry into the Mitchell and Markby series, although it was slow to get going. I hop
Mary
May 10, 2013 Mary rated it liked it
Um - well. I really enjoyed "Beneath these stones, and was looking forward to getting to know the characters better. This book did have some of the same strengths as the later volume in the series; the prose is clean, the setting well-described, and the plot carefully worked out. But-

Somehow, I wanted a little more. I was most intrigued by Markby and his sister, and wanted more of them. I had no clue who Markby's young second, Pearce, actually was - meaning that I got no sense of him as a charac
Kate
Nov 12, 2010 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
Marriage, Mystery, and Murder

The wedding of her godchild Sara is reason enough for Foreign Service Consul Meredith Mitchell to return to England to stay with her cousin, Eve Owens, glamorous film star and mother of the bride. When Meredith arrives at Eve's country home she never expects to share center stage in a real-life drama that will rock the peaceful little Cotswold village to its core.

But a bloody ox heart, a dead cat, and a bit of poison turn the prenuptial planning into a police investi
Jens
Aug 04, 2013 Jens rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In Anbetracht der Tatsache, dass es bereits mehrere Teile der Mitchell und Markby Reihe gibt und mich das Cover angesprochen hat, dachte ich, es könnte ja nichts schaden. Man irrt sich aber leider häufiger als man selber denkt.

EIgentlich geht es knapp 80 % des Buches nur sehr schleppend voran. Die Figuren sind meines erachtens unzureichend beschrieben, von der Umgebung und dem jeweiligem Set will ich mal gar nicht reden. Das schlimmste aber an dem Buch ist eigentlich die Tatsache, das sich die H
James
Having read and enjoyed a later book in the Mitchell and Markby series, I wanted to read the series in chronological order.

"Say it with poison" is the first in the Mitchell and Markby series. Meredith Mitchell, a consul in the British Embassy, returns to England for her god-daughter's wedding. In the run up to the wedding, a local layabout is murdered, and unintentionally Meredith does some private sleuthing at the same time as the police, headed up by Chief Inspector Alan Markby, are conducting
Thoaium
Klassischer, britischer Krimi wie von Agatha Christie. Stabile Handlung, nette Figuren und manche Dinge kann man als Leser auch erahnen. So begeistert hat mich der Krimi allerdings nicht, dass ich mich jetzt auf die Folgebände stürze. Wenn mir einer der anderen Bände begegnet, werde ich aber auch keinen Bogen drum machen. Ist ganz nett für zwischendurch wie eine Folge “Mord ist ihr Hobby”, daher 3 Sterne.
Anne
Mar 14, 2016 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, very British kommt der Beginn dieser Krimireihe daher, von der noch ein paar weitere Bände in meinem Regal warten. Die Auflösung kam etwas abrupt, aber im Ergebnis nicht überraschend daher. Mitchell und Markby sind für meinen Geschmack noch etwas zu reserviert, aber das kann sich ja noch entwickeln.
nebulein
May 17, 2015 nebulein rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ich weiß nicht ob es an der Übersetzung und der leicht antiquierten Sprache oder der Charakterzeichnung lag, aber irgendwie war mir dieses Buch nie so richtig sympathisch. Der Krimifall war ganz nett, nix weltbewegendes, aber das "Ermittlerpärchen" war leider sehr enttäuschend. Na gut, man kann nicht immer richtig liegen.
Pat
Jan 21, 2015 Pat rated it liked it
Arati
Mar 22, 2015 Arati rated it liked it
A very well written book... But extremely depressing (for me at least). Hence the 3 stars instead of 4
Brigitte
Jul 01, 2015 Brigitte rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Langweilig! Ich hab die Mitte jetzt übersprungen, ist wohl eh nix passiert. Aber das war ja nur der erste Band, die sind ja öfter mal etwas zäh. Auf zu Band 2.
A
Apr 03, 2014 A rated it it was ok
Dull, old fashioned, unbelievable stuff.
Valerie
May 02, 2015 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Love it! Turned into a great series!!!
Bobbie Foster harper
Feb 20, 2016 Bobbie Foster harper rated it liked it
decent mindless read
David Squires
Oct 05, 2015 David Squires rated it it was amazing
like a good murder mystery. This worked well, easy to follow along and get into the story. Will definitely be getting book2.
Carol/Bonadie
Oct 07, 2012 Carol/Bonadie rated it liked it
First in the Meredith Mitchell/Alan Markby Village series. Foreign consul Meredith Mitchell returns to England for the wedding of her goddaughter. A bloody ox heart turns up followed by a murder, and Meredith finds herself curious about the people she’s met and their possible involvement. She meets Chief Inspector Alan Markby, who is to give her goddaughter away, and he quickly becomes involved. A new to me series that I am looking forward to pursuing. My kind of cozy... British village mysterie ...more
Denise M. Hartman
Oct 15, 2011 Denise M. Hartman rated it liked it
I liked the idea of the main character being an embassy worker and so carrying a lot of international life experiences. In this book however, she's returned to home base for a family wedding. Some strange things are going on in the tiny village in the days leading up to the wedding and our main character becomes embroiled in the troubles. While you could tell this was written a few years ago, it was a pleasant story and plot. Not high suspense but a steady reliable English mystery.
Jeni
Jan 17, 2012 Jeni rated it liked it
Shelves: series
This is a classic English village mystery. It was a light, enjoyable read. Not too deep, but the characters were somewhat entertaining. I didn't understand the antagonism between the main character and the detective, though. He like her but she was always annoyed and rude with him, but I couldn't understand why. Maybe that was part of the mystery? :) I will probably read more in this series, but I won't "devour" it like I do some series.
Dustin
Apr 02, 2014 Dustin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Already knew it but still a very good story.
Nancy Wilson
Aug 04, 2014 Nancy Wilson rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure about this when I started it--but it worked--sadly a kitty died but I didn't figure out who done it--so good job!
Caroline Mckiernan
Nov 23, 2012 Caroline Mckiernan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: friends who like cozy mysteries
Recommended to Caroline by: Annabella Gualdoni
It's hard to rank classic, fine literature along with cozy mysteries that don't require much thought but are for pure relaxation. However, I'm admitting that this book is of that sort. It's an easy read. It's relaxing. It's a murder mystery, but there's not a lot of gore, and there's a sweet little bit of unrequited love in it. It's just the sort of thing that I like to read when relaxing before bed at night.
Margaret
I really liked this ... Markby, a British official in which we can actually see glimpses of real emotion and Meredith, a strong, confident woman who still sometimes doubts herself - they aren't exactly working together to solve the murders, at least not yet. A slight twist at the end was nice ... I will be keeping this author in mind.
Stacy
Nov 25, 2012 Stacy rated it liked it
At some point, I have read other books in the Mitchell and Markby series by Ann Granger, just not the first book in the series. The opening book, Say It With Poison involves an upcoming wedding in a small town, poison, and various secrets. I enjoyed spending time with these characters and the mystery was satisfactory.
Bettie☯

Read by Judith Boyd
8 hours 2 mins

Description: When Meredith Mitchell agreed to stay with her actress cousin Eve in the run-up to Eve's daughter's wedding she anticipated a degree of drama. But she hardly expected it to include murder, blackmail and unrequited love. Or to involve a certain Chief Inspector Markby, a middle-aged divorcee with an emotional history as unfortunate as her own. A material witness to the only case of murder the Cotswold village of Westerfield has ever seen, Meredith also
  • The Body on the Beach (Fethering, #1)
  • Orchestrated Death (Bill Slider #1)
  • Shadows on the Mirror (Sarah Fortune, #1)
  • The Twilight Time
  • Mrs. Malory Investigates (Mrs. Malory Mysteries, #1)
  • Cold in the Earth (DI Marjory Fleming #1)
  • Corpse In A Gilded Cage
  • A Bicycle Built For Murder (Manor House Mysteries, #1)
  • A Drink of Deadly Wine
  • Passing Strange (Inspector Sloan #9)
  • The Busy Woman's Guide to Murder (A Charlotte Adams Mystery #5)
  • Deceit
  • The Face in the Mirror (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #11.5)
  • The Night She Died
  • Die Schwalbe, die Katze, die Rose und der Tod (Inspector Van Veeteren #9)
  • The Hydrogen Murder (Periodic Table, #1)
  • The Marriage Hearse (Wesley Peterson, #10)
  • The Murder Wall (DCI Kate Daniels, #1)
Ann Granger has worked in British embassies in various parts of the world. She met her husband, who was also working for the British Embassy, in Prague and together they received postings to places as far apart as Munich and Lusaka. They are now permanently based in Oxfordshire.

Her first novels were historical romances published under the nom de plume Ann Hulme.
More about Ann Granger...

Mitchell and Markby (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • A Season for Murder (Mitchell and Markby Village, #2)
  • Cold in the Earth (Mitchell and Markby Village, #3)
  • Murder Among Us (Mitchell and Markby Village, #4)
  • Where Old Bones Lie (Mitchell and Markby Village, #5)
  • A Fine Place for Death (Mitchell and Markby Village, #6)
  • Flowers for His Funeral (Mitchell and Markby Village, #7)
  • Candle for a Corpse (Mitchell and Markby Village, #8)
  • A Touch of Mortality (Mitchell and Markby Village, #9)
  • A Word After Dying (Mitchell and Markby, #10)
  • Call the Dead Again (Mitchell and Markby Village, #11)