Start by marking “Lord Dismiss Us” as Want to Read:
Lord Dismiss Us

Lord Dismiss Us

Lord Dismiss Us is set in an English boys' public school in the 1960s. The novel deals with the love affair between two boys, together with the internal politics of the school itself. Carleton, a sixth former loves Allen, a boy two years his junior. At the same time the headmaster is trying to enforce a policy against such liaisons.

At the time of writing it was a contempor
Published April 1st 1984 by University of Chicago Press (first published April 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Lord Dismiss Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord Dismiss Us

Esdaile
Dec 31, 2011 Esdaile rated it it was amazing
I know the book cannot be classed as "great literature" but it is so funny and so charming and so far beyond, it seems to me, what anyone is capable of writing in the same genre today (perhaps I am just being a curmugeon and getting old-I am very willing to be corrected on that) that I have to recommend it. It would seem to be the writer's experiences of many years in a school packed with wild improbability into a term. What a term! The book is action packed from beginning to end, is utterly and ...more
Aeontwo
Mar 23, 2011 Aeontwo rated it it was amazing
I read this as a boy, immediately after hearing it in a BBC radio adaptation.

I was just beginning to understand what 'homosexual' meant. The story had a powerful effect on me, because of my innocence and curiosity (and fear). One never forgets books that lighten the darkness of one's childhood ignorance.
Adrienne
Apr 21, 2012 Adrienne rated it liked it

This reminded me a lot of The Charioteer, in terms of prose style. It was very dense, and went back and forth between people's heads. Sometimes it read like something that had been translated from another language, with the way things seemed out of context sometimes. I think it's just the difference between 1960s dialogue and writing and nowadays, because all the books I've read written around this period share that peculiar characteristic.

I felt a little confused about just what the book was t
Judith
Aug 20, 2012 Judith rated it it was amazing
In the blurb at the back, Iris Murdoch writes: I read it very slowly because I was enjoying it so much. I think it achieves a sort of tragic beauty...." Well, I read more quickly, but I think it is indeed beautiful. It captures the passion not only of youth and love, but also of what we feel, what most of us feel, for the School that seemed the world to us when we were there. The cricket terminology (and perhaps lots of other Brit terms) escaped me, but the feelings of the masters and the boys b ...more
Cerisaye
Apr 28, 2015 Cerisaye rated it really liked it
A very curious bird this novel, as one of its colourful characters might say. A Boys' School story written in 1967, the year homosexuality became legal in the UK, it represents the tradition of the classic gay novel in which to love another man is nothing but misery, ruin and death, mind unbalanced by the body’s needs. Yet within that there is the promise that reflects decriminalisation and Swinging 60s sexual freedom.

I love Boys' School stories, all that adolescent passion and rampaging hormone
Shane Pennell
Jan 13, 2015 Shane Pennell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh, my, my. This is easily the best of the British/Irish boarding school novels I've read. The novel is outrageously funny at times, but mostly it's just a very powerful love story that made me ache, wishing I had that, and then made me ache because... well, that would be a spoiler. Just a beautifully-written, beatifully-conceived story with lovable characters, humor, and most of all, love. I've read it three times.
carelessdestiny
Apr 03, 2015 carelessdestiny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nicely-plotted
A boys boarding school always seems like a nightmarish experience to me but this book is so detailed about the experience and the characters so seemingly to life, that it's a great novel to read.
Melanie
Oct 23, 2012 Melanie rated it it was amazing
amazing
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Mark Rowland
Mark Rowland rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2016
Joe Ross
Joe Ross rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2016
Aymery
Aymery rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2016
Paul Thurman
Paul Thurman rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Karyta
Karyta marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
David James
David James rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Chris Taylor
Chris Taylor rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Brad
Brad rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Allen
Allen rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2016
Pat
Pat marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Myc
Myc rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2016
A
A added it
Jun 05, 2016
Joshua Hawke
Joshua Hawke marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Hannahnana
Hannahnana marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Jenn911
Jenn911 marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Dayle
Dayle marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Oak
Oak added it
May 08, 2016
Robert M Tomasulo
Robert M Tomasulo rated it really liked it
May 10, 2016
Shawn Dowds
Shawn Dowds rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Michael Campbell was born in Dublin in 1924, the son of Charles Henry Gordon Campbell, 2nd Baron Glenavy, and Beatrice Elvery. He was educated at St. Columba’s College, a boarding school in Dublin – which later served as the model for Weatherhill in Lord Dismiss Us (1967) – and Trinity College, Dublin. He was called to the Bar by King’s Inns, Dublin in 1947, but quickly turned from the law to jour ...more
More about Michael Campbell...