Start by marking “Lord Dismiss Us” as Want to Read:
Lord Dismiss Us

Lord Dismiss Us

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Lord Dismiss Us is set in an English boys' public school in the 1960s. The novel deals with the love affair between two boys, together with the internal politics of the school itself. Carleton, a sixth former loves Allen, a boy two years his junior. At the same time the headmaster is trying to enforce a policy against such liaisons.

At the time of writing it was a contempor
Published April 1st 1984 by University of Chicago Press (first published April 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Lord Dismiss Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord Dismiss Us

Something Like Summer by Jay BellGives Light by Rose ChristoSock it to Me, Santa! by Madison  ParkerThe Locker Room by Amy LaneTrust Me by Jeff Erno
Best M/M Young Love
127th out of 139 books — 155 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeBrave New World by Aldous Huxley1984 by George OrwellSiddhartha by Hermann HesseBlood, Sweat and Fears by Jean Marie Stanberry
These Books Made an IMPACT
68th out of 96 books — 112 voters

More lists with this book...

Esdaile
I know the book cannot be classed as "great literature" but it is so funny and so charming and so far beyond, it seems to me, what anyone is capable of writing in the same genre today (perhaps I am just being a curmugeon and getting old-I am very willing to be corrected on that) that I have to recommend it. It would seem to be the writer's experiences of many years in a school packed with wild improbability into a term. What a term! The book is action packed from beginning to end, is utterly and ...more
Adrienne

This reminded me a lot of The Charioteer, in terms of prose style. It was very dense, and went back and forth between people's heads. Sometimes it read like something that had been translated from another language, with the way things seemed out of context sometimes. I think it's just the difference between 1960s dialogue and writing and nowadays, because all the books I've read written around this period share that peculiar characteristic.

I felt a little confused about just what the book was t
Judith
In the blurb at the back, Iris Murdoch writes: I read it very slowly because I was enjoying it so much. I think it achieves a sort of tragic beauty...." Well, I read more quickly, but I think it is indeed beautiful. It captures the passion not only of youth and love, but also of what we feel, what most of us feel, for the School that seemed the world to us when we were there. The cricket terminology (and perhaps lots of other Brit terms) escaped me, but the feelings of the masters and the boys b ...more
Cerisaye
A very curious bird this novel, as one of its colourful characters might say. A Boys' School story written in 1967, the year homosexuality became legal in the UK, it represents the tradition of the classic gay novel in which to love another man is nothing but misery, ruin and death, mind unbalanced by the body’s needs. Yet within that there is the promise that reflects decriminalisation and Swinging 60s sexual freedom.

I love Boys' School stories, all that adolescent passion and rampaging hormone
Shane Pennell
Oh, my, my. This is easily the best of the British/Irish boarding school novels I've read. The novel is outrageously funny at times, but mostly it's just a very powerful love story that made me ache, wishing I had that, and then made me ache because... well, that would be a spoiler. Just a beautifully-written, beatifully-conceived story with lovable characters, humor, and most of all, love. I've read it three times.
Aeontwo
I read this as a boy, immediately after hearing it in a BBC radio adaptation.

I was just beginning to understand what 'homosexual' meant. The story had a powerful effect on me, because of my innocence and curiosity (and fear). One never forgets books that lighten the darkness of one's childhood ignorance.
carelessdestiny
A boys boarding school always seems like a nightmarish experience to me but this book is so detailed about the experience and the characters so seemingly to life, that it's a great novel to read.
Cori
Cori marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
S.
S. marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Michael Jones
Michael Jones marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Mark Ward
Mark Ward marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Hiko
Hiko marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Valeria
Valeria marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Tami
Tami marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
ltwar
ltwar marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Elaine Olshanetsky
Elaine Olshanetsky marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Jesi
Jesi marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Orchestre
Orchestre marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Michael Campbell was born in Dublin in 1924, the son of Charles Henry Gordon Campbell, 2nd Baron Glenavy, and Beatrice Elvery. He was educated at St. Columba’s College, a boarding school in Dublin – which later served as the model for Weatherhill in Lord Dismiss Us (1967) – and Trinity College, Dublin. He was called to the Bar by King’s Inns, Dublin in 1947, but quickly turned from the law to jour ...more
More about Michael Campbell...
Popular Music in America: And the Beat Goes on Ultimate Heat Map: How to Increase Your Advertising Revenues without Additional Traffic (Dynamic Media Series) Color Persuasion: The Science of using Color to Persuade and Influence Purchasing Decisions (Dynamic Media Series) Rock and Roll: An Introduction Music (with CourseMate Printed Access Card)