World Mythology: An Anthology of the Great Myths and Epics

World Mythology: An Anthology of the Great Myths and Epics

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  363 ratings  ·  28 reviews

World Mythology is a compilation of over 50 great myths and epics. Your students will gain an appreciation and an understanding of ancient and modern cultures through myths and epics from the Middle East, Greece and Rome, the Far East and the Pacific Islands, the British Isles, Northern Europe, Africa, and the Americas. An introduction and historical background supplement

Published January 28th 1994 by NTC/Contemporary Publishing Company (first published June 28th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about World Mythology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World Mythology

JayeL
We bought this book to get more information about Greek Mythology following reading the D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths version of Greek Mythology for kids. Over the years we have jumped around and read different myths and epics in this book, but we have mostly focused on the Greeks.

This time, however, we started with the old favorites and have just plowed through without picking and choosing. There are some very entertaining aspects of some of the unfamiliar myths. In one myth, the creator crea...more
Chris
This year we're starting out Sophomore English with a unit on Creation Mythology before turning to The Odyssey. I'm using this book as the core text because it gives a very broad overview of world mythology in an intelligent, inclusive, and complex fashion. I like how it breaks mythology down into specific ethnic traditions: instead of a section on "African Myths," they tell you which group, such as the Yoruba, the myth comes from; instead of "South American Myths," you get myths from the Tiahau...more
William
A pretty thorough compilation of various myths from all sorts of culture, reading through too quickly may even give you a bit of culture shock, not just about what's different but even more surprisingly what's similar. It seems to have some chronological ordering, starting with ancient Assyrian before moving on the old standby Greek and Roman myths, you don't get to the Norse ones until quite a bit further in, and it ends with some seemingly uncommon recitals, from Africa and the Americas. Each...more
Burcu
Don't be intimidated by the size of this volume; it flows relatively smoothly. Bringing together the "beginning" myths of various geographies establishes a good perspective on the relationship between narratives and the humanity's existential questions. The parallels, similarities and differences might change how you view humanity.
Teri Temme
Amazing book! Wow. I feel as if I have time travelled over the past couple of weeks. I have read about the myths of Greece and Rome, The Middle East, Northern Europe, The British Isles, The Far East and the Pacific Islands, Africa and the Americas - quite the ride. Very sad I missed out on these earlier in life, but delighted to have discovered them now.

From The Ramayana: Sita to Rama: "Do not grieve over what you have had to do. Each of us must accept whatever life brings. Wherever there is gro...more
Shelly Hammond
This one was ok. Sort of had to read it for some college work. It had some good myths but for the length of the book and the myths it chose to use for the longer ones compared to those it chose for the shorter ones, it really doesn't get over a three star. It's not evil bad, just could have been a lot better. If you have to read it and know nothing at all about mythology you will learn a lot about the most famous Greek and Roman myths along with the legends of King Arthur, but most of the other...more
♥ Cin
Jul 11, 2008 ♥ Cin rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students taking a Mythology Class
The book goes into very high level detail about the most famous myths and gives a good overview of the most famous gods and heroes/legends. I probably wouldn't pick this one up on my own since it's a hard read at times. The book gave me a really good basic understanding of mythology from all cultures and I find myself going back to reference when I come across mythology references in other literature. Good to have on the shelf and a good starter if you're interested in studying it.
Whitney
This is a great overview of general mythology. The synopses of various myths are accurate and each myth is preceded by a short introduction of sorts that explains important facts about the myth, its origin, its evolution over time, its importance to its culture of origin and any other cultures that may have adopted it. Anyway, I picked it up as a quick refresher of mythology and it was just right.
Amy
I have never read mythology ever, so I surprised myself when I started getting into the stories we were told to read in Advanced Literature from this anthology including Heracles, Sigurd the Volsung, and King Arthur. It was interesting. I don't know if I would, even now, just pick up a book pertaining to mythology, but I know that if I do read one, I can come to appreciate and enjoy it.
Richelle
Read this one in high school, and was simply delighted when Mandie gave it to me for my birthday a few years back. It has reasonably well translated synopsized versions of archetypal myths (such as creation, deluge, and hero myths)from various cultures. I especially appreciated this arrangement.
Monica
It's great... that's what you can call for this book. Full of literature and information about great epic and mythology that you always hear when you were school in a very detail way.
I found this book useful because the complete story and explanation for every mythology.
Peter Mcloughlin
World Mythology is not the right title for the book. It is Mostly European Mythology with a little bit of other cultures. It is not bad but I would have liked more entries from non-european cultures. I am pretty familar with a lot of Western Mythology.
Emily
Good coverage of world civilizations, but I was not a fan of her prose style in retelling the myths. It seemed to flatten them all out. I read this while searching for textbooks to use for a mythology class, but decided not to use it.
Lorena
Not what I thought it was going to be. Had more to do with how/where myth stories originated from. Gives you snipits of the greats like the Illiad. It was a good starter book for wanting to learn about mythology stories.
Autumn Mcquarrie
My professor had us read a few of the stories. It bounced around through a lot of those stories. The book was great at describing them and I also like the well variety of them.
TaleofGenji
May 15, 2012 TaleofGenji marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Mariah
This book had many new stories that I had not yet read and information that I had not known. I would definitely recommend this book to others.
Kareena
Aug 30, 2011 Kareena rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the storylines of major myths but don't want to read the whole thing
Summarizes all the major myths into digestible stories. So far have read through the Greek myths and am working on the next chapters.
Michelle
We read the Greek and Roman sections for book club. I think I had to read too much mythology in grade school already...
Megan Creel
A useful survey, not too in depth, but offering material which I found to be original and helpful.
Jeremy
Jun 28, 2012 Jeremy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I believe I read some of the Iliad from here, but I'd like to read all of the book at some point.
Ibrahim Ivan
My one of the most read books. I issued that from our school library. Wish i had a copy!
Excellent edition of pretty much every myth you could think of. Very useful as a writer!
Darby
Enjoy learning different versions of the old tales.
Andry Chang
It's truly an essential source for my writings.
Cathy
Exactly my cup of tea, very educational
Jessica
Jun 09, 2010 Jessica is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
stuffs & things.
Ryan Rivera
Ryan Rivera marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
  • Mythology
  • Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2, 500 Deities of the World
  • Classical Mythology
  • The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology: An A-Z Guide to the Myths and Legends of the Ancient World
  • Cassell Dictionary of Superstitions
  • Gods of the Greeks
  • Gods, Demigods and Demons: An Encyclopedia of Greek Mythology
  • Parallel Myths
  • Egyptian Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Goddesses, and Traditions of Ancient Egypt
  • Irish Folk & Fairy Tales Omnibus
  • The Complete World of Greek Mythology
  • Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were: Creatures, Places, and People
  • Pantheons (Pantheons, #1)
  • The Library of Greek Mythology (World's Classics)
  • Celtic Myths and Legends (Myths of the World)
  • Gods and Heroes of Ancient Greece (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • American Indian Myths and Legends (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • The Wizardology Handbook: A Course for Apprentices
Mythology and You : Classical Mythology and its Relevance in Today's World Folklore, Myths, and Legends Glencoe World Literature: An Anthology of Great Short Stories, Poetry, and Drama World Literature World Literature/ Anthology Of Short Stories, Poetry, And Drama Teachers Manual