Der Pfad im Schnee (Der Clan der Otori, #2)

Der Pfad im Schnee (Tales of the Otori #2)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  12,699 ratings  ·  384 reviews
Es hatte keinen Sinn noch länger zu warten. Ich lief aus dem Schutz der Kiefer heraus und den Hang hinunter. Als ich zum Fluss abbog, schaute ich zur Seite und sah, wie mein Feind sich aus dem Schnee erhob. Er war ganz in Weiß gekleidet. Dann klaffte der schwarze Abgrund unter mir und ich sprang.

Nach dem Tod seines Ziehvaters Shigeru hat sich Takeo, Erbe des mächtigen Otor...more
Published June 30th 2004 by Carlsen (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Der Pfad im Schnee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Der Pfad im Schnee

emily
I'm calling these books young adult as well as for adults, though I think the only reason I think of them as young adult is because the protagonists are in their late teens. These are definitely books I would have read and loved as a teenager; there's no explicit sex though lots of reference to it, and the violence is hardly as graphic as you see in movies.

Anyway, genre descriptions aside, this is a brilliant trilogy and I am literally only pausing long enough to write my review of book two befo...more
Karissa
This is the second book in the Tales of the Otori series by Lian Hearn. This book picks up where the first left off. Takeo leaves Kaede for training under the mysterious Tribe; whose supernatural abilities Takeo has inherited from his father. As his training concludes, and he is asked to take out certain missions, he must ask himself if his loyalties will lie with the Tribe or with the Otori? Kaede meanwhile is left on her own to return home and see what state her family is in. Kaede struggles t...more
Allison (The Allure of Books)
Apr 17, 2009 Allison (The Allure of Books) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Allison (The Allure of Books) by: Fiona
This book wasn't as good as the first one for me...just not quite as magical and exotic feeling...which could just stem from the fact I've been reading Shogun so the mythical Japanese world doesn't seem as mysterious to me as it did with Across the Nightingale Floor. The book still captured me from beginning to end, and I was caught up in the story. The book was pretty tense, and the ending set up very well for Brilliance of the Moon, can't wait to read it!
Jeph
Lian Hearn's "Grass for his Pillow" is a must-continue for fans of "Across the Nightingale Floor", and resumes the story of Otori Takeo and Shirakawa Kaede, of the first book, but leaves much to be desired in terms of plot, action and everything else that made Hearn's first entry in this series so magical and endearing.

"Grass" picks up almost exactly where "Across" left off. Takeo is now with the Tribe and much of the book focuses on Kaede trying to claim her inheritance of domain, meanwhile fen...more
Kandice
This being the second, in a planned trilogy, I felt it was more of a "place holder" or a "where we are now" kind of book. It reminds me of The Empire Strikes Back. It's a continuation of the story of the characters we've come to love, but not much happens. We get a lot more back story, but not a whole lot of action, other than to put our heroes in a harder spot. That's okay, I already have the third book on my nightstand waiting to be read.:)

The Japan that Hearn has created is beautiful. I gener...more
Becca
For a middle-book in a trilogy, this one was really fabulously done, with the exception that it should have been longer. I love where the story-line is going even though I'm not sure where it will end up, the characters (which I thought were fabulous for the most part in the first book) have really grown on me, and the relationships that have developed are full and interesting.

One thing I really like about this author so far is she isn't afraid to subject her characters to the greatest pain pos...more
Ambrosia
While the plot structure of this second book in the series is a little less traditional than the first, that actually works in many ways to its advantage. Both of the main characters are trying to find their identity in various ways, and while the plot is far less action-oriented, I found the character development associated with their internal struggles to make them far more compelling than they were in the first book. Towards the end, when Takeo sees Kaede and observes how much they've both ch...more
Search
I think the series has grown on me, I am finding the writing in the 2nd book to be much better quality, and my complaint with the last book about detail has been rectified in this book. The pacing is slower than in the first book, though I have found this slowing down to be well compensated by the rise in quality of the prose.
Upto now I don't agree with the general opinion that this book is somehow lesser than the first one, on the contrary it may be better.
After finishing this book one can see...more
Brooke
Although I gave this the same number of stars I gave Across the Nightingale Floor, I enjoyed book 2 of this trilogy less than the first one. While things happened in book 1, this book was mostly about the characters being holed up for a winter while making plans about what to do in the spring. It moves the characters forward, as they decide to make plans for themselves rather than allowing themselves to be pawns for other people, but nothing goes into action. It's a shame that an entire book wa...more
Mark
I enjoyed reading Across the Nightingale Floor quite a bit, but my mistake was that I didn't buy the sequels at the same time. By the time I remembered to get them, two years had passed and, possibly because of that time away from Takeo's world, I didn't enjoy this second volume nearly as much. For the first several chapters I was completely lost as to who was whom (despite reading Wikipedia's largely useless recap of Across the Nightingale Floor beforehand), and by the time I started rememberi...more
Michiyo 'jia' Fujiwara
Rumit..makin rumit..liat Genealogy Tree-nya dulu ya:

[image error]

Pasca kematian sang antagonis, Lord Tohan Iida di seri sebelumnya..wilayah kerajaan Tohan dan negeri jajahannya..otomatis mengalami kekosongan..tak ada kepemimpinan..kosong.. dan Lord Arai Daiichi sang desertir secara sepihak adalah penguasa baru wilayah ini..Bagaimana nasib percintaan Takeo dan Kaede???

description

Takeo
Lord Takeo yang disambut bak pahlawan karena telah berhasil memenggal kepala si lord antagonis..padahal sang pembunuh sebena...more
Πέτρος
Notice: I have made a review for every book of this series and they need to be read in order since they are supposed to feel like an on-going impression. So if you read the second without reading the first will feel rather off.

I am mostly focusing on the style of storytelling and a lot less on if it reads well or something sophisticated like that. For the same reason I tend to have lots of SPOILERS which means that if you read this text you will know THE OVERALL PLOT and how much I DIDN’T like...more
Andrew Frueh
Compelling enough, but felt to me more like an interlude between the start and conclusion of the trilogy. It has been many years since I read the first book, so it took a considerable amount of time for me to remember the events that took place in it. But even still, I felt like the emotional pitch of the book was a bit flat. There were a few exciting moments, but even the situations that should have been powerful lacked the impact they should have had. It's possible that was intentional to evok...more
Lenette
Like others have mentioned, 'Grass For His Pillow' is a bridge, obviously leading up to events in the third book. While the book is slow, the language is still flowery and engaging, and I am continually intrigued by the complicated web of politics and honor. I greatly appreciate how the Tribe's abilities are supernatural, yet it does not feel like fantasy or magic.

However, I am finding it exceedingly difficult to establish an emotional, immediate connection with the main characters, Takeo and Ka...more
Iluvlynx
I've just finished this book for the second time, not even 5 minutes ago.
For some odd reason, I really enjoyed it. Perhaps it is just because of all the references to Japanese life, and I love reading about that type of thing.
However, the plot was lacking. The whole book was a setup for the next in the series, and to me I felt as if there was no climax and I wasn't sure when I started to get the feeling that I had started into the resolution. I think it was just when I realized there were so m...more
Helmut
Wer bin ich? Wohin gehöre ich?

Der zweite Teil der Geschichten um die Otori glänzt mit ähnlichen Eigenschaften wie Teil 1, Across the Nightingale Floor. "Grass for his Pillow" ist dabei noch deutlich zurückhaltender mit Action und bietet stattdessen tiefe Einblicke in die Persönlichkeit der Protagonisten, die über den ganzen Band weiter ausgearbeitet werden. Nahtlos geht die Handlung vom Vorgängerband weiter - nachdem Takeo praktisch dazu genötigt wurde, sich dem "Tribe" anzuschließen, beginnt nu...more
Isabel
Filler. Good thing I didn't spent my money on it. Not much happened. I think I sorta slept trough it. There was lot of talk of past events. (view spoiler) But really...more
Sandy
In this book, our hero Takeo figures out over the course of about 200 pages that all of the decisions he made at the climatic end of the first volume (Across the Nightingale Floor) were stupid. He then spends the last 100 pages attempting to undo these decisions and set things right - the act of which promises to cause the conflict that will drive the last book in the trilogy since aparently the timing is no longer right so now the "right" decisions are actually bad decisions.

Honestly, Kaede's...more
Patricia J. O'Brien
I'm really enjoying this series. Perhaps I get an added pleasure from the moments of descriptive writing that remind me of haiku in the midst of an action-packed story of struggle and strife. Book Two continues the political intrigue, mysterious relationships and star-crossed love affairs of the first book, as well as serving up some beautiful writing.

Here are two examples (two different POVs) of that spare but powerful style:
I made no decisions and came to no conclusions. I simply lay awake for...more
Arminzerella
I *read* the first two Tales of the Otori books as audiobooks. There were two readers for each of the two main character's voices: Takeo and Lady Shirakawa. Takeo's reader was male and sounded Asian, which really helped bring the story to life, as it takes place in a sort of feudal Japan.

The second book loses some momentum, and then hands the reader the very thing s/he's been waiting for much too easily. There is plenty of intrigue, spying, plotting, and excitement as well as death - dealt to t...more
littlemiao
I have to admit that the ending came as a shock, not because I was surprised by the concluding event, but because not enough had happened in the story to justify a conclusion. Nothing particularly climactic, since in my mind, the last event (no spoilers) was fairly predictable. It seemed like it was cut off just for the sake of getting another book out of it. Still, it is obviously setting the stage for something dramatic and I am invested enough to keep going.

The fact that the male protagonist...more
Don Mitchell
The last half was fairly good. The first third was a tiresome sermon by the female lead explaining why she was pursuing equality and equal access in a male dominated culture. The book as a whole speaks as an imposition of modern values onto a medieval Japanese society. However, once action and some dialog replaced sermons, the book got better.

Nevertheless, the book is very much of a sequel setting up the 3rd book in the trilogy. It feels as if its whole purpose is to retrieve the story, pull in...more
Thomas
The primary qualification for one of the narrators seems to be her name: Aiko. She will have you beating your head on the corner of your cubicle.

Furthermore, the book itself holds no suspense, resolves nothing, and introduces very little. It is clearly the filler novel of the series. Despite all this, I may read the next installment in order to find out which of Otori Takeo's sons is going to murder him. (Ok, I lied. Grass does introduce a prophecy and a cult devoted to its completion.)
Grayson Queen
The second book of the series and it's better that way.
If this were a stand alone book it would be a flop. However, if you're reading the series it's not that painful. The entirety of the novel is character, world and plot development. There are now amazing fights or unexpected developments.
What we see happen is the characters grow and the reasons for acting become more clear.
The best thing about this book is that you now when it ends that the next book will be full of conflict.
Emily Richards
"Just as the river is always at the door, so is the world always outside. And it is in the world that we have to live."

Following elegantly on from Across the Nightingale Floor, this second book in the trilogy continues to tell the story of two lovers bound by duty, and relentlessly tested by their true desires and their boundaries in society as a man of mixed blood and a woman in a man's place.

As the thoughts and feelings of Takeo are revealed, you learn to respect him for he must rebel against...more
Mel
Takeo ist eigentlich Erbe des mächtigen Otori - Clans, hat sich jedoch dem geheimnisvollen Stamm angeschlossen. Diese besagt jedoch, dass seiner den Glauben an seine Kindheit, sein Recht auf Reichtum, Land und Macht und vorallem seine Liebe zu Kaede aufgeben muss.

Ansonsten wird er Stamm ihn töten. Takeo kann sich den Regel des Stammes nur schwer beugen und fällt schließlich eine Entscheidung, die nicht nur sein Leben verändert.

Er fliegt, um sich mitten im eisigen Winter auf die Suche nach Kaede...more
Mindy Words
La historia entre Kaede o Takeo pues se vuelve más madura. Ambos en el anterior libro eran más ingenuos, más infantiles. Ahora poco a poco comienzan a desaparecer esos rasgos y se afrotan a los problemas que el destino tiene reservado para ellos. Gracias a esa madurez de los protagonistas la historia se vuelve más atractiva, si tenía muchas ganas de saber que pasaba con cada hoja que avanzaba. En esta parte de la historia se conoce a la familia de Kaede, y en Takeo descubre un secreto que marcar...more
Dawn Morris
This series gets better with each book! I love how the author describes each scene...the beautiful Japanese landscape and buildings...I feel like I'm there. I feel like I know and care about all the characters. This book series was such a pleasant surprise for me. I picked up the first one at a book sale and I'm so hooked. I just got the fourth one today...can't wait to start it tonight!
Cathlene Burk
I was engrossed by the first book of this series, and was equally pulled in with this one. It is nice to be wrapped up in the culture, feel the tension as danger mounted and to have hope for a character experiencing hard times. It is definitely worth reading again, maybe once I have finished reading the series and want to pick up on details I may have missed.
Jonathan Owen
"Grass for His Pillow" is the third story I have read in the "Tale of the Otori" series. I really enjoyed following the exploits of noble Otori Shigeru in the previous two novels, from samurai lord, to a ronin fleeing for his life, to a peaceful farmer plotting to avenge his murdered father, to a quiet Christian bravely facing execution despite the betrayal of his uncles and liege lord.

I really enjoyed the focus on the ninja in the early portion of this book. I had hoped that this was the direct...more
  • Kastel Awan Burung Gereja (Samurai, #1)
  • Lanze und Licht (Wolkenvolk-Trilogie, #2)
  • The 47 Ronin Story
  • The Pure Land
  • The Last Concubine
  • Dark Parallel (The Joshua Files, #4)
  • The God Stalker Chronicles (Kencyrath, #1-2)
  • Taiko: An Epic Novel of War and Glory in Feudal Japan
  • Child of Vengeance
  • Shinju (Sano Ichiro, #1)
  • The Tokaido Road
  • Beyond the Blossoming Fields
  • Fudoki
  • Furin Kazan
  • The Love We Share Without Knowing
  • The Oracle Betrayed (The Oracle Prophecies, #1)
  • God and Sex: What the Bible Really Says
  • The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Wind (The Twelve Kingdoms, #2)
Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori, #1) Brilliance of the Moon (Tales of the Otori, #3) The Harsh Cry of the Heron (Tales of the Otori, #4) Heaven's Net is Wide (Tales of the Otori, #0) The Tales of the Otori Trilogy

“Death comes suddenly and life is fragile and brief. No one can alter this either by prayers or spells.” 6 likes
“Moartea vine pe neasteptate, iar viata e fragila si scurta. Nimeni nu poate sa schimbe asta, nici prin rugaciuni, nici prin vraji.” 1 likes