Start by marking “Earth Then and Now: Amazing Images of Our Changing World” as Want to Read:
Earth Then and Now: Amazing Images of Our Changing World

Earth Then and Now: Amazing Images of Our Changing World

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  24 reviews
"300 stunning before-and-after photographs that show the staggering transformation of our world."

Earth Then and Now records the dramatic way our planet has changed over the past century. On one page is a specific part of the world as it was 5, 20, 50 or even 100 years ago. On the facing page is the same place as it looks today. Each stark visual comparison tells a compelli
Published September 14th 2007 by Firefly Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Earth Then and Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Earth Then and Now

Ummu Auni
Jan 16, 2013 Ummu Auni rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ummu Auni by: Limau Nipis
Wow! What an exhilarating experience. The photographers took the initiative to capture moments/images by juxtaposition the images (placing it side by side) and at the same place even years later. The book is divided into several parts on land transformation/urbanisation, culture and arts. force of nature etc.

I agree with my sister, how Korea reclaimed the river had been such a good initiative. I doubt that my county shall do the same :p

The images are vibrant, showing humankind impact/human leavi
Matt
As others have said, this is a fascinating book. In a general sense, the pictures all show how the world has changed, and the text gives details about those changes. Specifically, this book focuses upon the many negative effects that humans have had upon the environment through urbanization, pollution, resource-mining, warfare, etc. It's a sobering wake-up call about the devastating effects we can have upon the natural environment. This book is easily absorbed in bite-sized chunks, and it made f ...more
Limau Nipis
After a few rereads, this one is a treasure in my household. Thanks to its poweful images, where 'pictures tell a thousand words', this one is really an impactful book showing the destruction of men on earth.

It was separated in 6 sections; environmental change, urbanisation, land transformation, forces of nature, war and conflict, and leisure and culture.

The most powerful image was when Seoul reclaimed back its dead river in the centre of the city. This shows that human can make a difference for
Poonam
4 mining-related photographs that got my attention:

1. Bingham Canyon, USA - World's largest man-mad hole. Currently owned by Rio Tinto, KUC

2. Atacama Desert Chile - owned by BHP Biliton and Rio Tinto. Open pit copper mine

3. Cape York, Austrlaian - owned by Weipa for Aluminum mining

5. Nauru, Pacific Oceam - Phosphates were mined aggressive, now left for reforestation

Other pics that got my attention were:

1. Stieregg Restaurant, Switzerland: 2004, mountain erosion ensured that restaurant was falli
Phillis
There were some pretty amazing pictures in the book. Each then and now picture had a write up so you knew what each picture was telling you. Some of the pictures in the first chapter were all about climate changes and most seemed to be preaching Global Warming. Once you get passed that then you can see actual changes in topography for many reasons, some man-made and others nature made. I learned about places I never previous heard about, saw places I'd never travel to, and saw changes in areas I ...more
Terry
Beautiful photography depicting the often harrowing changes altering our planet's surface.
Sylvia
A really, really, really good book. Images of our changing world. Each pair of photographs or satellite images has been selected to tell a compelling story--of a melting glacier, an ever-rising cityscape, or a volcanic eruption.

A very cool book! Not much texts which makes it even cooler, and the pictures in this 288 pages of book are amazing! We can see the difference and the changing in our world between 5 years or 10 years, even in one century and present day. Sometimes the images are shockin
Lisa
Shocking images of the earth after man or natural events have occured to alter the landscape, along with a brief commentary. Spectacular photos from nearly the same spot over time picturing the differences.

I might be getting old, but the print was WAY TOO SMALL! I think the book could have been a little larger, also. This would have provided us with bigger, more amazing images, and then the font could have been bumped up a bit, or even thickened.
Monty
This is a really neat coffee table book (it might be too big or heavy for the bathroom). It's basically a series of before and after photos with minimal text arranged in six categories (environmental change, urbanization, land transformation, forces of nature, war and conflict, leisure and culture). Some of the contrasts are truly amazing; most photos/captions are educational. I'm a slow reader, and I looked through the book in less than two hours.
Victoria
Photographs document the changes in our cities and landscapes ... sometimes for the worse, such as the examples of rampant urbanisation or the desertification of the Aral Sea. And sometimes for the better, such as the greening of buildings with roof gardens. Absorbing and informative.
Assam
Aug 10, 2011 Assam added it
It's amazing how much we have ravaged the earth in the name of progress/development or to feed the population, especially in the damming up of rivers. Some of the captions are witty and full of sarcasm, but it is so spot on (from the perspective of an environmentalist).
Sally
Mostly fascinating (satellite photography is so cool), some very sad (we humans are hard on our planet and each other).

The writing was not stellar, so thank heavens the visual content pretty much speaks for itself.
Lauren
The power is in the photographs. Some amazing stories told in these images - stories of greed, war, "progress"... the book leaves the reader with no doubt that humans' existence has irrevocably changed our Earth.
Melody
Amazing is right. Jaw-dropping contrasts- some photos are over a hundred years apart, others just a few years. Very powerful. The text is minimal, and it works out well that way. The images are worth, well, you know.
Teri
I love this book! The before and after photos are stunning and emphasize how much change can occur in a fairly short time. I gave this to my brother for his birthday, and his family all were fascinated.
Katja
Ein unglaublich beeindruckender Bildband, der globale Veränderungen festhält und uns die Fragilität unseres Planeten vor Augen hält. Die Zukunft liegt in unserer Hand. (Gekauft 2008)
Renny
Neato pictures. I really enjoyed learning about how the Earth changes while getting a really cool visual.
Christine
If you have any doubts about global warming, this book will convince you!
Monica
Amazing, astonishing, depressing, terrifying, and beautiful.
Geri
Feb 02, 2010 Geri rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
It's amazing how destructive humans are....very sad indeed!
Teresa
worth looking through... amazing!
Fascinating photos.
Christopher Maxwell
Christopher Maxwell marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Veeral
Veeral marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Global Weirdness: Severe Storms, Deadly Heat Waves, Relentless Drought, Rising Seas and the Weather of the Future
  • Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before
  • Fragments
  • Head Case
  • Gadisku Wan Adnin
  • Blue Lipstick: Concrete Poems
  • EcoMind: Changing the Way We Think, to Create the World We Want
  • Demon Envy (Kenzie Sutcliffe, #1)
  • A Practical Guide to Monsters (Practical Guides)
  • The Periodic Table: Elements with Style! (Basher Science)
  • Finding Daddy
  • Grace After Midnight: A Memoir
  • Full Moon
  • Gothic and Lolita
  • Bookshelf
  • Dead High Yearbook
  • Blood Brothers
  • Holdup
Fred Pearce is an English author and journalist based in London. He has been described as one of Britain's finest science writers and has reported on environment, popular science and development issues from 64 countries over the past 20 years. He specialises in global environmental issues, including water and climate change, and frequently takes heretic and counter-intuitive views - "a sceptic in ...more
More about Fred Pearce...
When the Rivers Run Dry: Water--The Defining Crisis of the Twenty-first Century Confessions of an Eco-Sinner: Tracking Down the Sources of My Stuff With Speed and Violence: Why Scientists Fear Tipping Points in Climate Change The Coming Population Crash: and Our Planet's Surprising Future The Land Grabbers: The New Fight over Who Owns the Earth