Start by marking “Earth Then and Now: Amazing Images of Our Changing World” as Want to Read:
Earth Then and Now: Amazing Images of Our Changing World

Earth Then and Now: Amazing Images of Our Changing World

300 stunning before-and-after photographs that show the staggering transformation of our world.

Earth Then and Now records the dramatic way our planet has changed over the past century. On one page is a specific part of the world as it was 5, 20, 50 or even 100 years ago. On the facing page is the same place as it looks today. Each stark visual comparison tells a compelling
Published September 14th 2007 by Firefly Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Earth Then and Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Earth Then and Now

Cik Aini
Jan 13, 2013 Cik Aini rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cik Aini by: Limau Nipis
Wow! What an exhilarating experience. The photographers took the initiative to capture moments/images by juxtaposition the images (placing it side by side) and at the same place even years later. The book is divided into several parts on land transformation/urbanisation, culture and arts. force of nature etc.

I agree with my sister, how Korea reclaimed the river had been such a good initiative. I doubt that my county shall do the same :p

The images are vibrant, showing humankind impact/human leavi
Limau Nipis
Aug 01, 2009 Limau Nipis rated it really liked it
After a few rereads, this one is a treasure in my household. Thanks to its poweful images, where 'pictures tell a thousand words', this one is really an impactful book showing the destruction of men on earth.

It was separated in 6 sections; environmental change, urbanisation, land transformation, forces of nature, war and conflict, and leisure and culture.

The most powerful image was when Seoul reclaimed back its dead river in the centre of the city. This shows that human can make a difference for
Matt
Jul 29, 2014 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, travel
As others have said, this is a fascinating book. In a general sense, the pictures all show how the world has changed, and the text gives details about those changes. Specifically, this book focuses upon the many negative effects that humans have had upon the environment through urbanization, pollution, resource-mining, warfare, etc. It's a sobering wake-up call about the devastating effects we can have upon the natural environment. This book is easily absorbed in bite-sized chunks, and it made f ...more
Poonam
Mar 23, 2014 Poonam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
4 mining-related photographs that got my attention:

1. Bingham Canyon, USA - World's largest man-mad hole. Currently owned by Rio Tinto, KUC

2. Atacama Desert Chile - owned by BHP Biliton and Rio Tinto. Open pit copper mine

3. Cape York, Austrlaian - owned by Weipa for Aluminum mining

5. Nauru, Pacific Oceam - Phosphates were mined aggressive, now left for reforestation

Other pics that got my attention were:

1. Stieregg Restaurant, Switzerland: 2004, mountain erosion ensured that restaurant was falli
Phillis
Aug 03, 2014 Phillis rated it really liked it
There were some pretty amazing pictures in the book. Each then and now picture had a write up so you knew what each picture was telling you. Some of the pictures in the first chapter were all about climate changes and most seemed to be preaching Global Warming. Once you get passed that then you can see actual changes in topography for many reasons, some man-made and others nature made. I learned about places I never previous heard about, saw places I'd never travel to, and saw changes in areas I ...more
Lindy
Current photos of places around the world are printed side-by-side with earlier photos of the same location. The changes are due to such things as urbanization, war, forces of nature and climate change.

It is quite fascinating, even though most of the changes are depressing. Fishing ships rust on desert sand, 100 km from the current shore of the Aral Sea. This has happened because the two rivers that fed this inland sea have been diverted to irrigating fields of cotton. A few changes are nice to
Sylvia
Apr 23, 2009 Sylvia rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A really, really, really good book. Images of our changing world. Each pair of photographs or satellite images has been selected to tell a compelling story--of a melting glacier, an ever-rising cityscape, or a volcanic eruption.

A very cool book! Not much texts which makes it even cooler, and the pictures in this 288 pages of book are amazing! We can see the difference and the changing in our world between 5 years or 10 years, even in one century and present day. Sometimes the images are shockin
Monty
Feb 28, 2008 Monty rated it really liked it
This is a really neat coffee table book (it might be too big or heavy for the bathroom). It's basically a series of before and after photos with minimal text arranged in six categories (environmental change, urbanization, land transformation, forces of nature, war and conflict, leisure and culture). Some of the contrasts are truly amazing; most photos/captions are educational. I'm a slow reader, and I looked through the book in less than two hours.
Lisa
May 09, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shocking images of the earth after man or natural events have occured to alter the landscape, along with a brief commentary. Spectacular photos from nearly the same spot over time picturing the differences.

I might be getting old, but the print was WAY TOO SMALL! I think the book could have been a little larger, also. This would have provided us with bigger, more amazing images, and then the font could have been bumped up a bit, or even thickened.
Melody
Oct 06, 2008 Melody rated it really liked it
Amazing is right. Jaw-dropping contrasts- some photos are over a hundred years apart, others just a few years. Very powerful. The text is minimal, and it works out well that way. The images are worth, well, you know.
Victoria
Jul 28, 2011 Victoria rated it it was amazing
Photographs document the changes in our cities and landscapes ... sometimes for the worse, such as the examples of rampant urbanisation or the desertification of the Aral Sea. And sometimes for the better, such as the greening of buildings with roof gardens. Absorbing and informative.
Assam
Aug 10, 2011 Assam added it
It's amazing how much we have ravaged the earth in the name of progress/development or to feed the population, especially in the damming up of rivers. Some of the captions are witty and full of sarcasm, but it is so spot on (from the perspective of an environmentalist).
Lauren
Jul 13, 2011 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: environment
The power is in the photographs. Some amazing stories told in these images - stories of greed, war, "progress"... the book leaves the reader with no doubt that humans' existence has irrevocably changed our Earth.
Teri
Feb 29, 2008 Teri rated it it was amazing
I love this book! The before and after photos are stunning and emphasize how much change can occur in a fairly short time. I gave this to my brother for his birthday, and his family all were fascinated.
Sally
Sep 18, 2008 Sally rated it really liked it
Mostly fascinating (satellite photography is so cool), some very sad (we humans are hard on our planet and each other).

The writing was not stellar, so thank heavens the visual content pretty much speaks for itself.
Monica
Oct 24, 2012 Monica rated it it was amazing
Awesome!
Katja
Nov 11, 2012 Katja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ein unglaublich beeindruckender Bildband, der globale Veränderungen festhält und uns die Fragilität unseres Planeten vor Augen hält. Die Zukunft liegt in unserer Hand. (Gekauft 2008)
Monica
Feb 07, 2012 Monica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing, astonishing, depressing, terrifying, and beautiful.
Geri
Jan 06, 2010 Geri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
It's amazing how destructive humans are....very sad indeed!
Teresa
Jan 21, 2010 Teresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
worth looking through... amazing!
Reading For Sanity
May 27, 2009 Reading For Sanity rated it liked it
read this review and others at http://readingforsanity.blogspot.com/...
Renny
Jan 04, 2011 Renny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Neato pictures. I really enjoyed learning about how the Earth changes while getting a really cool visual.
Sarah rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2013
Rodney Wells
Rodney Wells rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2013
Roldan Rubio
Roldan Rubio rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Carl
Carl rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Florianray
Florianray rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2011
Hieronimo Morfejev
Hieronimo Morfejev rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2012
Rick
Rick rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2012
Liljj
Liljj rated it did not like it
Feb 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Fragments
  • Global Weirdness: Severe Storms, Deadly Heat Waves, Relentless Drought, Rising Seas and the Weather of the Future
  • Demon Envy (Kenzie Sutcliffe, #1)
  • I.D.
  • Finding Daddy
  • Rainforest
  • Gadisku Wan Adnin
  • Bookshelf
  • The Periodic Table: Elements with Style! (Basher Science)
  • Blood Brothers
  • DC Comics Covergirls
  • EcoMind: Changing the Way We Think, to Create the World We Want
  • Blue Lipstick: Concrete Poems
  • A Practical Guide to Monsters (Practical Guides)
Fred Pearce is an English author and journalist based in London. He has been described as one of Britain's finest science writers and has reported on environment, popular science and development issues from 64 countries over the past 20 years. He specialises in global environmental issues, including water and climate change, and frequently takes heretic and counter-intuitive views - "a sceptic in ...more
More about Fred Pearce...