Start by marking “The Wild Wood” as Want to Read:
The Wild Wood

The Wild Wood (Brian Froud's Faerielands #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,988 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
A young artist returns to her cabin in the deep woods of Canada to concentrate on her illustrations. But somehow, strange and beautiful creatures are slipping into her drawings and sketches. The world of Faerie is reaching out to her for help--and she may be its last chance for survival.
Published June 1st 2004 by Orb Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Wild Wood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wild Wood

Bonnie
Nov 14, 2015 Bonnie rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, adult, 2012

This is the third book that I've read in the Brian Froud's Faerielands series and is unfortunately my least favorite of the bunch so far. Brian Froud invited four of the top fantasy authors to pick their favorite piece of his work and write a story based upon it. The four authors and their respective books are:

Something Rich and Strange by Patricia A. McKillip
The Wild Wood by Charles de Lint
The Wood Wife by Terri Windling
Hannah's Garden by Midori Snyder

The Wild Wood tells the story of
[Name Redacted]
Did you know that NATURE is GOOD? Did you know that HUMANITY is BAD? Well, don't worry! This little attempt to mix "Captain Planet"/"Ferngully"-style environmentalist sermonizing with a blend of Froud-inspired de Lintian urban fantasy will hammer you over the head with that message till there's nothing left of your brain but a fine paste. And the worst part is that it will sucker you in with a genuinely beautiful first-half...right before descending suddenly into the worst sort of childish, hype ...more
Terri
I really loved this book. The idea is that Brian Froud did a series of ilustrations, which the artists in the series let inspire their tales. And boy this these. The faeries/fey of the drawings are in the world of this story. You never know what is real or notnor does Eithnie the artist main character. It is wholey satisfying and a magical story
Sidhe
Jun 27, 2008 Sidhe rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys mythical fantasy
When Canadian painter Eithnie starts experiencing strange day dreams, she thinks her mind is failing. Soon she begins seeing fey beings in her landscapes, which she has no conscious memory of painting. Worried for her sanity, Eithnie seeks advice, only to discover something even more bizarre than madness. Representatives of Faerie are reaching out to her, in need of her help. As she unwinds the riddles surrounding her fey beseechers, she is led to face the demons of her past, and discover hersel ...more
R. C.
Aug 25, 2009 R. C. added it
I didn't finish because I sympathized too closely with the protagonists fear of hallucinations in the first few chapters, as a person with a neurological condition that sometimes causes trees to come alive and layers to reveal other layers and suchlike. I wondered if de Lint is epileptic, because his first chapter is just like a temporal lobe seizure. Terrifying. Beautiful prose, though, probably the most beautiful I've read in the fantasy genre.
CJ -Doctor can you help me, 'cause something just don't feel right
Sep 15, 2008 CJ -Doctor can you help me, 'cause something just don't feel right rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sheri S. Tepper & Robin McKinley fans.
Like reading poetry. This is my first Charles de Lint book though I have a bunch of them. It reminded me of Sheri S Tepper's eco-sensibilities with a dash of Robin Mckinley's prose. I loved it.
Sarah Sammis
Oct 26, 2009 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
To me, Charles de Lint is primarily the book reviewer for The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. Although he started writing fantasy at the time I was completely addicted to the genre, I somehow missed his books. It's only through the magazine that I have discovered de Lint's fantasy.

I picked at semi-random The Wild Wood because I loved the cover art by Stephen T. Johnson and the book design by Heather Saunders that mimics his painting of the stick people before the forest. I read the firs
William Thomas
Feb 01, 2015 William Thomas rated it it was ok
Shelves: blah, bland
This thing should have come with a warning label stating that it is a powerful sleep aid.
Kirk Macleod
Dec 22, 2015 Kirk Macleod rated it really liked it
Charles De Lint's 1994 novel The Wild Wood, was part of a series called Brian Froud's Faerielands, wherein four different authors based short stories on four paints presented by Froud.

The version I read was a recent reprint, and did not include the illustrations that appeared in the first edition (which I'm now eager to hunt down), but the novel still stood quite well on it's own.
The book follows Eithnie, a Canadian artist who has been living alone in the northern Ontario woods for a few years a
Loraine
Jul 19, 2015 Loraine rated it really liked it
I missed out on Charles de Lint when I so intensely gobbled up one fantasy after another. I must confess that I was enthralled to Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. Yes, I have read it many times, so perhaps I just didn't notice de Lint's lovely little ecological fantasy, The Wild Wood. Better late than never, I say!

Eithnie, the main character, is an artist whose muse has left her. She travels to the southwest desert seeking inspiration and communion with old friends, but returns to her home in re
Skyler White
Feb 03, 2010 Skyler White rated it it was amazing
Before I read this book, I would have said that a man couldn't really understand what it means to be a mother. Not *really.* Now I'm wondering if there is any experience impenetrable to a writer of sufficient imagination and craft. It opens up whole terrains of challenge, and shows me it is only my insufficiencies and fears that make characters of different races or backgrounds feel off-limits to me.
Beverly J.
Jan 15, 2013 Beverly J. rated it it was amazing
What can I say? Simply magical. Magically complicated. I feel like I held my breath reading this, waiting with trepidation for each special moment to manifest. I waited so long for this book, I'm grateful that the 4 of this set graced my life.
Abbey
Mar 17, 2012 Abbey rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, contemporary
This book is weird. Really weird. However, I think that it is definitely worth reading if you are into fantasy and strange symbolism. There certainly is a lot of that going on. Plus, it takes place just outside of Ottawa which is kind of cool.
Allan
Dec 01, 2010 Allan rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
This is one of de Lint's less attractive works, in my opinion but that is only to say it is really good instead of excellent. It didn't engage me at first the way some of his others books have done, but it was worth the effort to read it.
Dan Holt
Dec 28, 2010 Dan Holt rated it liked it
An early deLint novel. The main character is intriguing, an artist who has lost her edge. The depiction of the back woods in Ontario are vivid. Not a fan, though, of the climax and resolution. Seemed rushed and rather cliche.
Melanie
Aug 02, 2014 Melanie rated it liked it
Kinda hokey. Not horrible. Didn't understand the need for chapters in first person when the rest of the chapters were in close third person from the same character's POV.
Alice
This is the second book in my 2014 TBR Challenge. One would think I wouldn't need motivation to read anything by Charles de Lint, much such a short book. And yet, this has been languishing, unread, for ages on my shelves.

Eithnie is a painter who lives in the Canadian wilderness. Her paintings lately have been missing something; they're too remote and unconnected, though creative. She has a vision of seeing a woman in the forest holding a book, and, ever since, seems able to only paint fairies in
Kerry
Jul 21, 2010 Kerry rated it liked it
Shelves: everything
The Wild Wood was a long anticipated experience for me. I had seen a review of it long before I had ever picked up a Charles de Lint book and put it on my “to-read” list immediately. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to track down a copy of the actual book for a long time after that and some time later, in a moment of unrelated coincidence; I discovered Dreams Underfoot and became a huge fan of De Lint’s work, specifically his Newford series.

When I eventually got my hands on The Wild Woods, I didn’t
Jenna
Dec 24, 2009 Jenna rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
When I picked this up at the library today, I thought there was a mistake. Written in large letters across the top of the book: "Brian Froud's Faerielands". Huh. Brian Froud? The guy that did Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal? I love those movies, but... I wanted a book by Charles de Lint.

It is, in fact, a book by de Lint-- the title of the book and the author's name are surprisingly small, and I didn't notice them at first glance.

Froud painted some pictures and had a couple authors pick out their
Sarah Schanze
Apr 11, 2011 Sarah Schanze rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book, along with a dozen or more others, came to me in the mail from a friend one day. They were all random books said friend was trying to get rid of, so I had no idea what they would be like. Some were so-so, one (at least so far) was awful, but this one really took me by surprise. As soon as I started to read it, it was hard to put down. The language is simple but engrossing, and even though the story unfolds slowly, it never felt like it was plodding along. It set its pace early and stu ...more
Nicole
Nov 25, 2013 Nicole rated it it was ok
As much as I wanted to read this book, it just wasn’t my cup of tea. Eithnie lives in the woods of Canada and makes her living as a wildlife painter. Her last show was criticized for not having enough emotion and she is determined to get that back but when fairies start showing up in her paintings (and life) she has to decide if she wants to believe in them, what they want from her, and if she should help them.

I love the idea of the storyline and I truly enjoyed all of the characters. I think wh
Barbara
Jan 04, 2009 Barbara rated it did not like it
I should explain that I came to Charles de Lint's writing because a fellow writer whom I admire for common interests of exploring the intersections of folklore, mythology, and "reality," speaks highly of his work, for the possibilities he attempts to mine. I am totally with this. This is the first de Lint novel I've read, and I understand this is early work, so I will be forgiving and not write off the possibility of reading more of him.

The reason I did not enjoy this book is because its plot w
Michael
Oct 30, 2015 Michael rated it liked it
This is one of de Lint's better early novels, written over 20 year ago. It lacks the confidence of his later writing but all the usual themes are present (fairies, ghosts, magical realism). Although it's set in rural Canada it gets classified as Urban Fantasy since it's contemporary. It also has a touch of the romance genre. If you're a CdL fan you should read it. If not, start with one of his more recent books.
Amy Paget
Here's a very interesting conceit. Several fantasy writers raid Brian Froud's portfolio and then write novels about same. Charles De Lint is an Ottawa based fantacist with much fine writing to his name. This book The Wild Wood is a slim volume of only 221 pages accompanying Froud's illustrations. A very light read with something to say about Faerie, art, and the north woods!
Donovan
Sep 30, 2012 Donovan rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
While this is not de Lint's first work, unfortunately (to me) it does show some amateurish writing. The pace is a little slow as in most of his work but already you get that dream-like quality that I found to be a hallmark of de Lint's work. The plot is well defined although it becomes a little too blunt at times but it is easily overlooked within the context of modern characters facing the fantastic.
I think this is a good read for the lovers of the Fey - especially a teenage audience

Brief (the
Maray
Aug 27, 2015 Maray rated it really liked it
this book starts out great. a little slow pace at first but sucks you on the way Eithnie was sucked into the fey world. however, it feels unfinished. what happened with that art show? did she get the art in? what happened with Sharleen's art? What does Joe know about What happened? I'm torn between 3 and 4 starts. There are parts that I really like and there are parts that I feel were left unfinished.
Kate
Very New Age-y. I've read two or three of his before, and remember liking them better than I liked this one. Felt like a very short prequel to something I haven't read. Some nice things about the emotional lives of artists and the creative process, though.
Krk
Dec 07, 2014 Krk rated it it was ok
More like a 2.5. I try so hard to like Charles de Lint, but his writing style and approach to faerie and mythology really don't work for me. I'll probably try his work again, but not for a long wile.
Marcy Italiano
Aug 21, 2013 Marcy Italiano rated it really liked it
This is not the usual book I would pick up. But since I saw Charles de Lint and his wife at World Fantasy in 2011, I've been meaning to pick up at least one of his books. I realize this is an early one, and plan to pick up more, hopefully, in order.

With that said, I had to get used to the "nicer" language than I'm used to reading. There is also a much different pace than horror books (duh) but once I got into the characters and setting, I found myself ...delightfully hooked. I loved the imagery,
Dayna Smith
Feb 09, 2014 Dayna Smith rated it really liked it
Eithnie lives in the Canadian woods near Ottawa. She is a painter who is struggling to find the lost passion in her art. She returns to the woods for inspiration and discovers Faerie instead. Strange creatures began to creep into her sketches and then into her dreams and then into her life. The world of Faerie is crying out to her for help, but what can she do? What is it they want her to remember? Can she save their world and what will happen to her world if she does? One of De Lint's early mas ...more
Endicott Mythic F...: The Wild Wood - Discussion 17 41 May 25, 2009 09:47AM
  • Hannah's Garden
  • The Faery Reel: Tales from the Twilight Realm
  • The Heart of Faerie Oracle - Book & Tarot Cards
  • The Fair Folk
  • Elsewhere (Borderlands, #1)
  • Are All the Giants Dead?
Charles de Lint is the much beloved author of more than seventy adult, young adult, and children's books. Renowned as one of the trailblazers of the modern fantasy genre, he is the recipient of the World Fantasy, Aurora, Sunburst, and White Pine awards, among others. Modern Library's Top 100 Books of the 20th Century poll, conducted by Random House and voted on by readers, put eight of de Lint's b ...more
More about Charles de Lint...

Brian Froud's Faerielands (4 books)
  • Something Rich and Strange