Start by marking “The 1937 Chicago Steel Strike: Blood on the Prairie” as Want to Read:
The 1937 Chicago Steel Strike: Blood on the Prairie

The 1937 Chicago Steel Strike: Blood on the Prairie

A violent period of American labor history reached its bloody apex in 1937 when rattled Chicago police shot, clubbed and gassed a group of men, women and children attempting to picket Republic Steel's South Chicago plant. Ten died and over one hundred were wounded in what became known as the Memorial Day Massacre. A newsreel camera captured about eight minutes of the ...more
Published January 21st 2014 by History Press (SC) (first published January 12th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The 1937 Chicago Steel Strike, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 1937 Chicago Steel Strike

Bob
Jul 10, 2014 Bob rated it liked it
Shelves: history
In the 1990's, I had to cross the picket lines during two very long strikes. Nothing I could help: The company ordered all the engineers into the shop; run the machines or hit the door. I was not good at this at all, and tore up So Much equipment. Faced with all that again, I would rather find another job.

The steel strike of 1937 was related to the huge UAW conflicts from the Ford River Rouge plant; a rough time in the development of the US industrial base.
Joan Banko
Mar 24, 2015 Joan Banko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
History that was repeated

Some Chicago history I did not know. I lived thru the 1968 riot and police brutality, but did not know that something so similar had happened just 31 years before. Gave this book 4 stars as some parts of book were too wordy.
William R. Kozek
William R. Kozek rated it it was ok
Apr 24, 2015
Gary
Gary rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Carl
Carl rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2015
Yan Naing
Yan Naing marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
Tianna Beckford
Tianna Beckford marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Elaine Dyke
Elaine Dyke marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2016